Home
Backbreaker News Post

Check out the official fact sheet for Backbreaker. We've also included 5 more screenshots.

Quote:
"Setting a new standard in football video games, Backbreaker rushes the genre with a new playbook for hard‐hitting action. Players take control of an unmatched on‐field experience boasting realistic, physics‐based AI for an endless variety of unique sacks and tackles, making canned animations a last‐season memory. With crisp high‐definition graphics and a third‐person camera angle that follows the perspective of the ball handler, Backbreaker puts players in the heart of the game. Rookies can easily pick‐up‐and‐play thanks to Backbreaker’s intuitive Arcade Mode control scheme, while veteran players can enjoy the game’s more difficult Pro Mode that turns off AI assists.

Featuring 11 versus 11 matches, Backbreaker also boasts online multiplayer for up to four players and split‐screen multiplayer modes. With total team customization, players can create their own rosters and adjust their team’s colors, logos and more. Going on the offense from kickoff to end zone, Backbreaker is how football was meant to be played on next‐gen consoles. Players can hit the gridiron with Backbreaker for Xbox 360™ and PLAYSTATION®3 platforms in spring 2010."

Backbreaker screenshot gallery - Click to view Backbreaker screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 81 CreatineKasey @ 12/05/09 10:39 PM
Hardcore guys are usually more into franchise than most. They are really vocal here.. that's why I try to pipe up for the other side.

# 82 Pacman83 @ 12/06/09 12:48 AM
And not disagreeing @ all, i just believe franchise is AS important as gameplay. If both are solid, not perfect....ex) CH2K8 (solid gameplay w/o sliders, one of the best franchises/legacy modes ever)....then i'm sold, easy. Just one solid aspect and i lose interest...like APF, play a few games and not touch it for days....but BB will have multi-seasons (not in depth i'm guessing), customizable everyfreakinthing, and what appears to be solid gameplay, so i'm thinkin they found a balance of things to focus on....Praying that is...

# 83 Phobia @ 12/07/09 11:52 AM
You franchise guys make me laugh. At this rate I hope they put in this huge killer franchise mode that works perfectly. Then when you walk on the field and actually PLAY the game it sucks. This way some of you get a wake up call that franchise is a BONUS. The most important factor should be GAMEPLAY. A game with great franchise and weak gameplay gets zero play time to utilize that great franchise mode.

So first thing a new company and game developer should focus on is GAMEPLAY. Then further year or years should focus on adding longevity(franchise mode).

In the end I honestly hope all of you DON'T get what you want. Cause no offense to any of you all but I want a game I can play. I want solid gameplay over anything else.

# 84 Skyboxer @ 12/07/09 12:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake62505
What is the point of a football game or any other sport game with out some type of franchise or season mode? It would be like buying a demo for $60.00.
It's not that big a deal when you grew up with season only mode games...

# 85 Pacman83 @ 12/07/09 03:52 PM
LOL @ some of you... because this game has been thought announce a release date several times already, they push back the release date how many times? (Or not announce one, which is it?) So i doubt it was for franchise mode, so everyone who keeps 'dogging' folks who want a franchise mode needs to understand that its going to be raw @ best, the focus has been gameplay....why cant both be solid? Remember its a virgin game of football, it wont be prefect either way.

# 86 Pacman83 @ 12/07/09 03:56 PM
Quote:
If you have played a sports game in the last 10 years they have had a franchise. I have no idea where this stuff is coming from.
Last 10-15 years makes us some of us preteens, so there was still franchise mode. OLDER guys are talkin Pre-Sega days.

# 87 Skyboxer @ 12/07/09 04:54 PM
Quote:
If you have played a sports game in the last 10 years they have had a franchise. I have no idea where this stuff is coming from.
Dude I grew up with games that had no franchise and I had fun doing it. If the game is fun a franchise mode adds to it but doesnt define it totally.

# 88 Skyboxer @ 12/07/09 04:58 PM
Quote:
1997 was the first franchise mode on Madden. 13 years ago.
lol
Been gaming (handhelds AppleIIe etc...) since the first pong....
13 years ago isn't very long ago in "old man" years.

# 89 t11 @ 12/07/09 05:43 PM
Quote:
You gameplay guys make me laugh. Its almost 2010 and this game has been in development for well over 2 years if by now the game doesnt have good game play and some kind of season or franchise mode just give up. "I want a game I can play". Well, it would be safe to say that after all this time if they cant make a game that you can play then they should just give up.
I'm not trying to insult you, but you clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Making a game is hard, especially when you are trying to be innovative. It took Madden 5 years (on next gen) to go from crap to an nearly good gameplay. You need to get your mind away from the yearly release games, and start thinking about this as a game like Assassin's Creed, Modern Warfare, Bioshock, or any other revolutionary game. The games I named were all successes but there are plenty of failures too. Its hard to make a good game. Don't trick yourself into thinking that 2 years is so long. It really isn't.

# 90 MrNFL_FanIQ @ 12/07/09 09:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
You franchise guys make me laugh. At this rate I hope they put in this huge killer franchise mode that works perfectly. Then when you walk on the field and actually PLAY the game it sucks. This way some of you get a wake up call that franchise is a BONUS. The most important factor should be GAMEPLAY. A game with great franchise and weak gameplay gets zero play time to utilize that great franchise mode.

So first thing a new company and game developer should focus on is GAMEPLAY. Then further year or years should focus on adding longevity(franchise mode).

In the end I honestly hope all of you DON'T get what you want. Cause no offense to any of you all but I want a game I can play. I want solid gameplay over anything else.
But without a great franchise, the gameplay hardly has a purpose in my mind. Playing the games need a purpose.

No one is going against gameplay here, I'm not one of the idiots who complain about shoe color. But without franchise mode, what is there to play? Play now mode? There is no purpose to that. Online play is laughable in my opinion. There needs to be a reason to play the games. A basic season mode isn't sufficient in my mind unless the gameplay is 100% awesome (which no modern game is close to) or 100% addicting (such as Tecmo Super Bowl)

For me, it's more fun to build a team up then to actually play the games. To each their own. Once again, no one is saying gameplay isn't important. Madden's #1 priority should be to fix the offensive/defensive line play among others. But if franchise mode sucks, the game has no replay value for me at all, and is nowhere worth $60.

Everyone's got their own tastes, no one said you have to sacrifice one to get the other.

# 91 bkfount @ 12/07/09 10:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
If they want to focus on gameplay, great. A sports game that lacks the feature is just something I likely won't jump on early again though. APF was made by the beloved 2k, and was arguably bare bones and all gameplay. That didn't work out great for them. I'd hate to see Natural Motion blow their chance by relying too much on consumers caring about the difference in tackling.

I think a generic game needs those features more than Madden would. In Madden, you play with known athletes and established franchises. It'll always have an online community, and people usually know what to expect from the game. Having a franchise mode in a generic sports game would only get people more involved with their entirely fake teams, enticing them to play more.

Besides, for as long and as high as this game has been hyped up by the same few people, you'd think they'd have easily been able to throw together a franchise mode while making the best football game ever made ever.

# 92 Phobia @ 12/08/09 10:46 AM
Quote:
You gameplay guys make me laugh. Its almost 2010 and this game has been in development for well over 2 years if by now the game doesnt have good game play and some kind of season or franchise mode just give up. "I want a game I can play". Well, it would be safe to say that after all this time if they cant make a game that you can play then they should just give up.
Well, it would be safe to say that after all this time if they cant make a game that you can play then they should just
give up

1) How long does take to develop quality AI?

2) How long does it take to add in correct blocking assignments? With taking account players who nano and attempt to "game" the game?

3) How long does it take to develop a completely new system for completely on the fly tackles and gameplay?

4) Do you know even a TINY bit of info of what it requires to design a game and bring it to life in the wanted fashion?

Basically I am calling you out because you have ZERO clue what you are talking about. You saying that any game in the making of 2 years SHOULD have excellent gameplay, excellent franchise, etc.

Do you even realize how ignorant that post is? A company such as EA can afford to hire teams designed to work on different aspects of the game. Hell they could have 50 people just working on franchise and another 50 working on gameplay and another 50 on rosters, then artist, then animations, and on and on.

Backbreak is being developed by a small independent company. Meaning they don't have the man power, funds, and time to spend working on this amazing franchise and amazing game. They have to pick where to spend their time. So by you setting these "stipulations" on time frames is flat out narrow minded.

Xbox Live arcade titles that might be 5 bucks are so. These are being worked on by small small companies. Small teams and it can take them up to 2 years to develop one of those tiny games. Bare bones graphics, bare bones tech, and small amounts of added modes. Do you even realize if you compare those titles with a similar size team as backbreaker, that what they have just came up with already is far ahead of what most teams could do.

Now on to the next topic.

You gameplay guys need to understand you need a franchise mode to truly enjoy the game.

As long as the game as online play. I don't need franchise mode period. I play 90% of my games online only. I watch all sports for the most part and dig reading about stats. I also want my games to have realistic stats. I don't need a franchise mode to enjoy my game though. Because I am going to spend 90% of my time with it online anyway.

Madden 10 - Only game I play a franchise with but still VERY seldom

NBA Live 10 - Play it only online

Fight Night Rd 4 - Play it only online

All Pro Football - Play it only online (every night almost)

NHL 10 - Play it only online

Fifa 09 - Play it only online

Now as you can see I don't need a franchise mode. As long as the game has strong gameplay and balanced online play. It will get TONS and TONS of play time. Would be spinning in my xbox for many years. Just like All Pro Football has.

I understand not everyone plays only online. But I think OS makes you think more people care about franchise than the average population does. I have a bunch of friends that play video games. None of which play franchise mode. Everyone just plays online when they get time to sit down and play xbox.

I think the average gamer is going to spend more time with their games in a ONLINE world than they will in franchise mode. I think the developers and their stats trackers on this have noticed this trend and is the reason so many have stated that online play is the future.

Decent read about what I am kinda talking about.
http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/12.06/gaming.html

# 93 sb24 @ 12/08/09 11:12 AM
Thank you phobia. Im worried that if to many of these guys are in the devolpers ears we are going to get a game of head coach and not of good gameplay. I do notice something. They guys i feel are truely knowlegeable about the game and the ones i learn from, dont care about franchise.

I used to be all about franchises, now im like whats the point. I know that after season 1, maybe 2, I am good enough at the game to beat the hardest difficulty. You do all this hard work building your team..... for what? If im really interested in building a team based on the team and not my stick/coaching skills, then i would play head coach.

I dont want a team with a small developent crew trying to emplement something like that. Any small error they make and you guys will jump down their throats. It requires alot more logic than just having more than one season together and you guys would pick them apart for any small glitch calling it "broken" and unplayable.

Football games should be about playing another person in the chess match that is play calling. Building a team to beat teams the cpu has build isnt really much fun or difficult for me. Those should be saved for text based sims or head coach.

Wouldnt you rather build your team and have to work to win? Well let them get the gameplay AI down and worry about a good franchise later. Dont try and say "they have been working on this 2+ years" madden has triple the developers and has been working on a game for 20 years and still doesnt have the AI down. Football AI is NOT easy.

# 94 Phobia @ 12/08/09 11:32 AM
Quote:
Well since no one can have a regular discussion without being called ignorant or "have no idea what they are talking about" please enlighten me:

1) Please tell me all your vast knowledge on game development.

2) since you so boldly called me out: Back Breaker has been in develoment for longer than 2 years and has been rumored for 4-5 years. Also, who said it would be excellent? Have I ever said it would be excellent? No i dont think so.

3) what is more narrow minded, me having high hopes for this game or your arguement after the back breaker dev's stated that the game WILL have a franchise type mode in the game, or your arguement based on the fact that YOU enjoy play now mode and playing online and everyone else should do the same?
Well I am speaking the truth. It is a Ignorant post and is VERY narrow minded to lump all game developments into this certain criteria that you have seem needs to happen for a quality game.

I simply pointed out YOUR words. You said if a game is in developement for 2+ years that franchise should be the standard this day in age. That right there is ignorant. You have no idea what it takes to develop a game, no idea how many are working on such game, and what their budget is.

I also never said my outlook is the only point of view. Matter of fact I think franchise is a great addition for the crowd that favors it. But to act like it should supersede gameplay is not smart one bit and NO game developer would do that. Gameplay is where the majority of the population that buys the game will spend their time.

So while you can get bent out of shape for me calling your post ignorant. I am simply stating the truth. It had a lot of naive views in it. So if you don't understand the content of my post and how it pertains to Backbreaker than I am sorry.

# 95 Phobia @ 12/08/09 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb24
Thank you phobia. Im worried that if to many of these guys are in the devolpers ears we are going to get a game of head coach and not of good gameplay. I do notice something. They guys i feel are truely knowlegeable about the game and the ones i learn from, dont care about franchise.

I used to be all about franchises, now im like whats the point. I know that after season 1, maybe 2, I am good enough at the game to beat the hardest difficulty. You do all this hard work building your team..... for what? If im really interested in building a team based on the team and not my stick/coaching skills, then i would play head coach.

I dont want a team with a small developent crew trying to emplement something like that. Any small error they make and you guys will jump down their throats. It requires alot more logic than just having more than one season together and you guys would pick them apart for any small glitch calling it "broken" and unplayable.

Football games should be about playing another person in the chess match that is play calling. Building a team to beat teams the cpu has build isnt really much fun or difficult for me. Those should be saved for text based sims or head coach.

Wouldnt you rather build your team and have to work to win? Well let them get the gameplay AI down and worry about a good franchise later. Dont try and say "they have been working on this 2+ years" madden has triple the developers and has been working on a game for 20 years and still doesnt have the AI down. Football AI is NOT easy.

Someone that understands my stance on the topic. Cheers SB

# 96 Phobia @ 12/08/09 01:12 PM
Quote:
So you can't enlighten me with your vast knowledge? Wow I was really hoping you could. Maybe if I offer payment? Maybe we could work something out like one of those online colleges? Oh well, since you "speak the truth" and have no more to add to your arguement but insults I guess you win. LOL, don't worry I am not bent out of shape at all, takes alot more than that to bend me in anyway. Since you have no idea how many are working on the game, or what their budget is either we are ignorant together. Oh yea, the game has a multiple season mode with scouting.
First I am not insulting you as you mentioned. I said your post was ignorant.

Ignorant
–adjective
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned: an ignorant man.
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact: ignorant of quantum physics.
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training: an ignorant statement.

Meaning I am stating you are talking about a subject as if you know how it is handled. I stated you had NO clue how it is being handled. I also NEVER stated I knew more, so NO I am NOT ignorant with you.

I did state that I know from the articles I have read that the online world is where devs are going to be focusing their efforts.

So while you make that post with the sarcastic under tone about not being bent out of shape. It is clear to see by your post that it did touch a nerve with you and you handled it by trying to lump me into the same ball park as you. We are far different in our approach.

I also never stated I had "vast knowledge" as you pointed to in your last two posts. I was commenting on YOUR post and the "lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned" as the meaning of ignorant means. I made comments stating that you had no clue and I never mentioned that I had more knowledge. I then went on to talk about my view on the "gameplay perspective". Since I hit a nerve with you on the "lack of knowledge"(aka ignorant) comment, it has been your agenda to try and bring me into a negative light.

# 97 Phobia @ 12/08/09 01:30 PM
Back on topic

Nice little post from the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub
1) There will be Turf and natural grass. Turf is shown on the QB throwing picture. Natural Grass on the spin picture. You can tell by looking at the shoes. With Turf, the individual grass blades do not overlap the shoes. With Grass, they do. Also looks like players are playing more on their toes than in recent versions.

2) Blocking and defending is much improved and you can really tell the difference between iterations. Way to go Todd!! Mainly, it's the hands and the difference between an O-lineman and a D-lineman. In older pictures you see the O and D lineman equidistant from each other and using their hands similarly. In the recent picture, you see the o-lineman trying to maintain distance (and thus leverage) from the D-lineman with the D-lineman attempting to "tear down" the arms of the lineman. ALso, big note, look at the height of the lineman's hands before and after engagement. Unlike Madden, in which the lineman's arms are always above the chest, the Euphoria actors are aware that a good block generally involves "swinging the bar", starting low and then exploding up through the D-lineman's pads, driving them off-balance and back on their heels. The lineman not engaged are still ready to spring while those engaged are much higher, even to the level of the facemask.

3) What happened to the glowing lines? Perhaps replay doesn't show it, or the ability to turn it off is provided. Not sure.

4) The difference in musculature is significant, with the passing photo showing significant detail in the forearm. This is approaching the detail seen in what we thought were conceptual player pictures.

5) Love the way they are using the "sitting" for significant changes in direction. In the passing photo, look how much number 11 is sitting on his route as he changes direction to an out pattern. Right leg is nearly parallel with the body while the left leg is at 25 degrees for the push-off.

6) In the leap, it looks like the pass is intended not for Lee but number 80-something. The ball is dropping down in a line that goes through the three players. So, I don't think they are incorrectly going for the ball. Lee is reacting late to a ball that is overthrown, the DB is trying to catch it at its highest pint and number 94's momentum is taking him out of the play. Unsure how quickly the ball is dropping. The actual receiver looks like he is attempting to stop more than he is trying to catch the ball with both arms thrown in the path of intended movement. 21 is not reacting to the ball because of vision cone. This may someday falll under "secondary cone" behavior, or reaction to the other players around him causing him to break off his assignment and head towards the ball without actually seeing it.

7) I think the crowd looks awesome, but I think the aisles look too pristine. They should have more people getting food and sodas, even in the amazing plays. People stop on the stairs during a play, and then continue on. Especially with cueing by crowd noise.

8) Sidelines may look bare, but I do see the addition of yard marker cones but only in certain stadiums.

9) Lighting continues to be the star of the show for me. If you look at a Madden game at night, you would htink that the lights are somehow maintained equidistant from the players and at the same angle. They seem to use a "flower petal" underlay centered at the feet and jutting out int he cardinal directions with lesser shadows occurring in the semi-cardinal directions. (NE, SE, SW, NW). In the leaping picture which is taken at night, the light across from them seems to be more directed at them (as expected) and thus the shadows are elongated from the players away from the lights and more pronounced from the far light source (since the closer light sources would be at a shallower angle to light mid-field more. Compare that witht he night shot of the pass at midfield, where the shadows are much more faint (having been filled in by both lights) and the less pronounced elongation.

# 98 Phobia @ 12/08/09 01:45 PM
Quote:
You call me ignorant because I made statements that you stated were not true. Ok so if they are not true correct me with the true statements. I have no clue about anything I am talking about, but you do? So please state facts that you know to be true. The only thing you have done is copy the definition of ignorant out ot the e-dictionary. Where is your references on the budget that backbreaker has or the number of dev's they have working on the game? Where is your resume on developing games? How much traning do you have? You have enough knowledge to call me ignorant on a subject but you lack the references to back up your claims. You are so ignorant you cant see the hiprocracy in your own post. You argue that the dev's should work on gameplay alone after the fact that there is already a franchise mode in the game. It's already in the game, they must have enough time to get it in there. One thing I will say you could be the only person in history who can notice sarcastic under tones in text. LOL. Ok so on your next post please share your knowledge on game development, Back Breaker budget, Back Breaker employee numbers who have worked on the game, your game development resume. If you can't then the dicussion is over.
I have tried multiple times to inform you about your post. I WILL NOT continue to derail this thread. If you wish to go into this deeper and me further show you the ignorance in your post then PM me. End of story.

# 99 Phobia @ 12/08/09 01:48 PM
Quote:
Private message from Phobia...
"I guess you just the sensitive type. I guess some words are just to strong for you to handle. Maybe understand the meaning of ignorant will help calm you down. Because as of now I feel like I have to baby talk to you so not to hurt your feelings. Like I am talking to a little kid.

I guess maybe I grew up in a different atmosphere. Maybe you grew up in a women household, I am not sure. Where I come from, men have a little more back bone than getting "insulted" by the word ignorant."

Thanks for the private message HA. Its my first internet fight. I love it. Its purely entertaining now.
First of all it was a PM which means private message. That is my feelings on how this has been derailed with you. PM if u wanna discuss further.

# 100 Phobia @ 12/08/09 01:53 PM
Quote:
You, me and one other viewing right now. No worries my friend We have the forum to our selvs. I thought you were going to post your references and experences?
Show my post where I said I was going to do that?

Show where I said i knew more than you?

I stated you had no clue what you were talking about and can't make the claims you were. You sensitive side could not handle that. Then you continue with the stomp my feet for attention thing going on.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.