Home
Madden Ultimate Team News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on preview of Madden Ultimate Team, along with a couple of videos here.

Quote:
"Okay, so it is true that you don't technically need to spend any of your own cash to build up your team, but it sure does make it easier. After every game you play you're awarded a certain number of coins which you can then spend on Ultimate Team cards. The problem is that the most coins that I've seen anyone get is around 100 and the cost of buying worthwhile card packs is insanely higher than that. For 9000 coins you can get a platinum pack (the best players in the game), for 3000 coins you can get a gold pack, for 1500 you can get a silver pack and then there's the lowly bronze which you should just steer clear of. If you play 15 games and do extremely well in all of them then you'll be able to buy one silver pack. That's a lot of Madden to play for a mid-level card pack. Of course you can always take the easy (and clearly more encouraged) way out and purchase the packs for Microsoft Points or money on PSN. The platinum pack will run you 240 Microsoft Points or about three bucks.

It's also a bit strange to see the cards that work their way into some of the packs. I bought three platinum packs with Microsoft Points on the debug online service known as PartnerNet (where there is no real money being spent) and found that my core of receivers featured a classic version of Randy Moss and three other homers rated in the 50s and 60s. It's clear that skill position players are a bit tougher to come by than an awesome right tackle; I had five or six of those."

Game: Madden Ultimate TeamReader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 3 - View All
Madden Ultimate Team Videos
Member Comments
# 21 countryboy @ 12/14/09 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengo Juego
When does Madden 11 come out? Same day as last year? August 14th?
This won't be known until closer to release.

# 22 Valdarez @ 12/14/09 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
If EA had released this for a price, people would be in here bitching up a storm about how EA is once again just being greedy and seeking money.

Now they release it for free and people are upset because they have to actually earn the chance to play with their "favorite" players or to play with the great players.

Its a damned if you do damned if you don't situation it seems.
True, and people would be on here blindingly saying there's nothing wrong with it as well. It's hard to feel empathy for a soulless entity (aka a 'corporation'), but releasing something for 'free' that actually costs reoccurring payments in order to truly enjoy would not exactly be free. Free to download perhaps, but not free to enjoy. If it had taken 90 games to get the best pack (which now it appears it doesn't, only 15 or so), then it definitely wouldn't have been for free as few players would have spent the time necessary to play the game and earn the coins.

I don't see a problem with companies releasing additional content for games as DLC, such as EA Sports did with the AFL DLC. I don't like some of the price points I see on the DLC many times (with many companies), but I think that hurts the companies more than the gamers due to lost sales and disappointed/frustrated fans. If a company releases content that's not part of the core game and can earn extra revenue off it then good for them.

# 23 Valdarez @ 12/14/09 05:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonelite
I am not sure how many of you played FIFA 09 UT, but attaining more coins through gameplay became easier as you spent more time in the game.

I am basing this on the assumption that Madden 10 UT will be very similar to FIFA 09 UT. When I started playing FIFA 09 UT it was difficult to get enough coins for one bronze pack. I thought that I would never be able to buy a Gold pack(there were no platinum packs). But I soon found out that certain cards held value on the auction block and I could make coins easier in games as my team got better. After a bit of a learning curve I was able to make coins without playing games! By using the auction block and collecting valuable cards, I always had more coins when I woke up, then I had the previous night.

I wouldn't let the "hands-on" review scare you. In my experience with FIFA 09 UT, winning coins in game became a secondary source of income.
That sounds pretty nice actually, especially for the folks that don't want to dump a lot of time into earning the coins. I wonder what the user base for Fifa is compared to Madden? That will probably have some effect on the amount of use the eBay like trading feature has on cards.

# 24 countryboy @ 12/14/09 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
True, and people would be on here blindingly saying there's nothing wrong with it as well. It's hard to feel empathy for a soulless entity (aka a 'corporation'), but releasing something for 'free' that actually costs reoccurring payments in order to truly enjoy would not exactly be free. Free to download perhaps, but not free to enjoy. If it had taken 90 games to get the best pack (which now it appears it doesn't, only 15 or so), then it definitely wouldn't have been for free as few players would have spent the time necessary to play the game and earn the coins.

maybe not for you, but for others, I'm sure they'll enjoy the game without spending a dime. You keep saying there are reoccuring payments, but thats up the user. They are not forcing you to pay for anything, but allowing you to should you choose not to take the time to actually earn the top of the line players.

# 25 Valdarez @ 12/14/09 06:25 PM
Quote:
maybe not for you, but for others, I'm sure they'll enjoy the game without spending a dime. You keep saying there are reoccuring payments, but thats up the user. They are not forcing you to pay for anything, but allowing you to should you choose not to take the time to actually earn the top of the line players.
The company's goal is obviously to earn reoccurring revenue with the product. That's the only way they can make $$$ off it. The means towards that end isn't as nefarious as it first seemed based off the IGN article though, which is what my first post (the one you responded to initially) was based. Playing 15 games to earn the best pack isn't nearly as bad as having to play 90 games. 90 games for a pack of players whose contract is up in 3 or 4 games would result in pretty much anyone who wanted to play the game having to pay money on a fairly ongoing basis. That was the point, which is somewhat moot now. You should read the whole thread, instead of responding to the first post I made.

# 26 CreatineKasey @ 12/14/09 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Sounds interesting. I enjoy the concept of building a team. Not sure how well this point thing is gonna pan out though...
After reading the OS Hands on, I think the points will not be an issue. I think that not only will we enjoy the team building aspect a lot, but we will actually be very good at it because of all the APF experience. Time to own some M10ers! Rawr. The upside of this is people only have 1 team so unlike APF people can't "match up" with you as much. You have to go out there and work your scheme.

# 27 countryboy @ 12/14/09 08:33 PM
Quote:
The company's goal is obviously to earn reoccurring revenue with the product. That's the only way they can make $$$ off it. The means towards that end isn't as nefarious as it first seemed based off the IGN article though, which is what my first post (the one you responded to initially) was based. Playing 15 games to earn the best pack isn't nearly as bad as having to play 90 games. 90 games for a pack of players whose contract is up in 3 or 4 games would result in pretty much anyone who wanted to play the game having to pay money on a fairly ongoing basis. That was the point, which is somewhat moot now. You should read the whole thread, instead of responding to the first post I made.
I did read the whole thread.

Your post, #25, the one that I responded to, that you have quoted, was talking about how there is a "reoccuring cost" for the DLC, which is simply not true. You make it sound as though its fact that someone has to pay to enjoy the DLC, which isn't the case.

# 28 Candyman5 @ 12/15/09 03:51 AM
Everything sounds fine to me except the "contracts".

# 29 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/15/09 04:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
After reading the OS Hands on, I think the points will not be an issue. I think that not only will we enjoy the team building aspect a lot, but we will actually be very good at it because of all the APF experience. Time to own some M10ers! Rawr. The upside of this is people only have 1 team so unlike APF people can't "match up" with you as much. You have to go out there and work your scheme.
I've already played this game more than any other Madden ever. Between our online franchise and custom team scrimmages, it's been in my tray a ton lately. Assuming this mode is as good as it sounds, it should only add even more replay value. Team Building is the one thing about APF that I miss. I think our APF/ACQB crew will really get into this mode a lot as long as we don't have to play a million games to start getting quality players.

# 30 Valdarez @ 12/15/09 05:48 AM
Quote:
I did read the whole thread.

Your post, #25, the one that I responded to, that you have quoted, was talking about how there is a "reoccuring cost" for the DLC, which is simply not true. You make it sound as though its fact that someone has to pay to enjoy the DLC, which isn't the case.
*sigh* You read the entire thread and walked away with that? First post made under the impression of 90 games necessary to earn enough for a platinum pack. Reviewer says it's not much fun to play without the better players. How hard is it to understand it wouldn't be easy to enjoy the game from that, thus the only way to enjoy it would be to pay $$$, and on a reoccurring basis?

Following posts were made per the updated info from Ian, which makes it sounds like not as many games will have to be played, only 15, as opposed to 90, which is more reasonable. As I said before, the point I made before is basically moot. i.e. You're attacking something that isn't really valid. If you read the entire thread, you should have been able to pick up on it. Especially since I already pointed it out once for you.

# 31 countryboy @ 12/15/09 08:24 AM
Quote:
*sigh* You read the entire thread and walked away with that? First post made under the impression of 90 games necessary to earn enough for a platinum pack. Reviewer says it's not much fun to play without the better players. How hard is it to understand it wouldn't be easy to enjoy the game from that, thus the only way to enjoy it would be to pay $$$, and on a reoccurring basis?

Following posts were made per the updated info from Ian, which makes it sounds like not as many games will have to be played, only 15, as opposed to 90, which is more reasonable. As I said before, the point I made before is basically moot. i.e. You're attacking something that isn't really valid. If you read the entire thread, you should have been able to pick up on it. Especially since I already pointed it out once for you.

*sigh* Nevermind....

I hope it doesn't cost you too much money to enjoy.

# 32 TJdaSportsGuy @ 12/15/09 03:37 PM
Quote:
Ian said that he thinks it's possible to earn up to 600 coins
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJdaSportsGuy
The hands-on preview said the most he'd seen someone get was "around 100". It never said 100 was the max. And knowing IGN and their history with sports games, I wouldn't be surprised if most of us here on OS were vastly superior in terms of Madden skills, and were able to earn much more than 100 points per game.
**COUGH**
**COUGH**

# 33 Valdarez @ 12/17/09 09:45 PM
Talked to TJ today and he said that Steve was earning around 200 to 300 coins per game. Ian said that he thought the guys at IGN were super-simming, and getting 100. I think if I had to choose between playing a game and getting 200 to 300 coins, or super-simming for 100, then I would probably just super-sim while I watched TV.

What do you guys think?

Also, for the guys that played FIFA, how much could you earn per game in FIFA?

# 34 Nature_Boy @ 12/18/09 01:29 AM
I'm not sure if I would like this or not but I will give it a shot when it's released.

# 35 Pappy Knuckles @ 12/24/09 01:08 PM
Is there a release date for this? I'm really looking forward to it.

# 36 CreatineKasey @ 12/24/09 02:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Knuckles
Is there a release date for this? I'm really looking forward to it.
Me too. I want at this.

# 37 boxboy99 @ 12/24/09 02:29 PM
Ya I'm excited about this as well.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.