Home
MLB 10 News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted their first look at MLB '10: The Show.

Quote:
"MLB 09" was one of the best offline sports games of the year. But take the game online and it's virtually unplayable because of the constant lag that throws off the timing of every move, making even little things like check swings seem impossible. "We're fully aware of the complaints," admits Cutliff, "but we've made online playability a priority area for us this year to make sure the timing of everything from the release points to the swings and check swings finally look and feel right. The online game will be going through much more extensive testing than we've ever put it through before."

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 101 wrigleyville33 @ 12/17/09 05:43 PM
Real time will wear off in a few weeks. No weather, no new commentators, no new appeal really. Doesn't seem that much has been done. Hoping there is better stuff to come.

# 102 lou22ny @ 12/17/09 05:57 PM
i thought the fact sheet was coming out today?? Also does anyone know if they added different color bats? like half tan half black....etc

# 103 countryboy @ 12/17/09 06:55 PM
Quote:
3. Not so fast

Ever since I used to play as the Cardinals in "RBI Baseball," I've been driving my friends crazy with the rate at which I steal bases in video games. My days are numbered now that "MLB 10" is introducing a new way for pitchers to pick off baserunners.

"Last year, it was really confusing to people if you were playing from the pitcher's view on how you were supposed to pick off runners," Cramm says. "To the eye, the buttons were the opposite of how they should have been, because [the] circle was always first base no matter what view you were in. So this year we made a really important change to where pickoffs are now performed using the shift. Hold it down and all the buttons will map according to the view you are in. That avoids a point of concern and confusion that to me was more like a bug last year.

"The next thing we added is the ability to choose different kinds of pickoffs. There are three different pickoff types: casual, where a guy steps off and throws over to the base. You have a quick move and you have a deceptive move. We also have the third-to-first move now, where a right-hander fakes the throw to third then looks back to first. The new button configuration allows us to add all of this. And what's great is these moves only work in the right situations. Like, you can't do a deceptive move if you're a right-hander and there's only a runner on first; those are only for lefties. But if you're a right-hander with runners on first and third, you can do a deceptive, and that's your fake throw to third, throw to first."

As for the button controls: tap for casual, double tap for the quick move, press and hold for deceptive. "For deceptive, the entire situation is going to look like a pitch," Cramm says. "The pitch meter is going to go and everything is going to stay in that camera until you make your move to the base. And the A.I. is going to do this to you, too. So as a base runner, now, you can't just take off on the first move. And this really makes things fun, especially in two-player games, because this adds a new level of cat and mouse as the pitcher tries to change his looks so that the runners aren't just taking off at will."
YES! YES! YES! YES! I was hoping the pickoff moves would be addressed and they have been. YES!

Another small change that will go a long way.

YES!

# 104 lendog691 @ 12/17/09 06:56 PM
ok great news for me but will they be real time injuries or fangasy injuries that way i can choose to put a guy on the the 15day dl call up or sign a fa and set the lineup accordingly? If i can do that then i will have sported a woody to.

# 105 countryboy @ 12/17/09 07:00 PM
Quote:
But that's not the only visual treat that's been added to the game this year. You'll see things like cloud shadows moving across the field, daylight transitional lighting, dugouts and bullpens populated in real time (not just in cut scenes), and even playoff noisemakers and towels in the crowd. Gamers can expect more animations of fans reaching over the rails, foul balls that will ricochet off both catchers and umpires, working analog and digital clocks inside stadiums and fans from the visiting team populating stadiums, like when the Cubs play in Arizona and the Chicago faithful come out in full force wearing their team colors.
Are you f'n kidding me!? YES!! YES!! YES!!

This is too good to be true. The little things all add up to make a game great and realistic and SCEA is without a doubt, the best at adding in the little things.

YES!

# 106 Whitesox @ 12/17/09 07:03 PM
Easy CB, don't have a heart attack and die before the fact sheet comes!

Just kidding, I completely agree. Having a working pickoff move should be amazing. Can't wait to see what else the have to reveal.

# 107 countryboy @ 12/17/09 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
**** that, did you read all that other crap after that. Are you kidding real clocks and all that other stuff.
yes I did..but noisemakers and rally towels are something I was just thinking about the other day, and how cool it would be if they were in the game.

As I said, these little things really immerse one into the game.

# 108 Russell_SCEA @ 12/17/09 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox

Just kidding, I completely agree. Having a working pickoff move should be amazing. Can't wait to see what else the have to reveal.
You have 3 at your disposal. Casual, Quick, and Deceptive all with pros and cons to each.

# 109 countryboy @ 12/17/09 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesox

LOL...yeah really.

I'm sorry, but the pickoff move is something that I was really hoping would be addressed this year. The cat and mouse game of base stealer vs pitcher is something that was lost the past few installments.

Now the only thing I hope is that balks will be part of the new pickoff move feature. For instance, will a deceptive move at times result in a balk? Or maybe a quick move?

I don't mention casual because if a pitcher of mine balks on a casual move, I'll yank him from the game and put him on the first bus out of St.Louis.

On second thought, I'll let him walk his way out of St.Louis.

# 110 Scott @ 12/17/09 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
You have 3 at your disposal. Casual, Quick, and Deceptive all with pros and cons to each.
Nice

# 111 Whitesox @ 12/17/09 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell_SCEA
Very interesting, can't wait to try it out. Thanks, Russell.

# 112 soxnut1018 @ 12/17/09 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleyville33
Real time will wear off in a few weeks. No weather, no new commentators, no new appeal really. Doesn't seem that much has been done. Hoping there is better stuff to come.
The Show has never been about big flashy features. They just get all the little things right. So far this year they have added to the playoff atmosphere, the splash counter, more accurate pickoff moves, moving shadows, real time presentation, working analog clocks, improved RTTS, and added separate difficulty levels for hitting and pitching. If those things aren't for you then I suggest you try 2K baseball where I'm sure they'll add some new "ground-breaking" meter.

# 113 green94 @ 12/17/09 07:19 PM
I am shocked at the amount of things they got into this years game.

I almost feel like they read my wishlist verbatim.

And Real Time Presentation???? WOW WOW WOW WOW

# 114 Reaman @ 12/17/09 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis04
When you are dead those will become classic.
Well said Nemesis!

# 115 Jackdog @ 12/17/09 08:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezeTime
Russell, did you improve the load times? Please tell me you did. They are way too long. Takes too long to get the game up and going and takes too long to load a game. I know the PS3 can do better. Did you address this?
This is the 3rd time you've asked this question in this thread. Enough. Consider this a warning.

# 116 wrigleyville33 @ 12/17/09 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soxnut1018
The Show has never been about big flashy features. They just get all the little things right. So far this year they have added to the playoff atmosphere, the splash counter, more accurate pickoff moves, moving shadows, real time presentation, working analog clocks, improved RTTS, and added separate difficulty levels for hitting and pitching. If those things aren't for you then I suggest you try 2K baseball where I'm sure they'll add some new "ground-breaking" meter.
You have been the 3rd person to tell me this. Jesus, I love mlb the show. I was just wanting an analogue pitching system, THAT IS ALL. Why does everyone seem like I'm wanting to play 2k baseball????? Do people not realize its garbage??????????????????????????????????

# 117 wrigleyville33 @ 12/17/09 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
For me it is simple. I don't want that changed. I look at it like this. You already have a baseball game that uses the stick. Why should you get both games your way. I want them to keep doing what they do.
I'm not saying they have to replace everything. I'm just SUGGESTING that they add it in the options. I don't understand why people are jumping on me for wanting a right analogue pitching system. Mvp had it, why are people saying that its only 2k? The only good thing 2k had imo was a right stick pitching system. THAT'S IT. The show does everything else superior, imo, and is my choice for baseball. Again, I wasn't saying it must be implemented, etc; I was only suggesting they added it for another pitching option. rant over.

# 118 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/17/09 08:36 PM
Quote:
I'm not saying they have to replace everything. I'm just SUGGESTING that they add it in the options. I don't understand why people are jumping on me for wanting a right analogue pitching system. Mvp had it, why are people saying that its only 2k? The only good thing 2k had imo was a right stick pitching system. THAT'S IT. The show does everything else superior, imo, and is my choice for baseball. Again, I wasn't saying it must be implemented, etc; I was only suggesting they added it for another pitching option. rant over.
I think some fear that it will alter game-play too much to implement it. Even if it is optional. And that is a legitimate concern, since the game excels in the game-play department. And build upon what you have, not have a system that needs lots of help now (ie 2K).

# 119 wrigleyville33 @ 12/17/09 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
I think some fear that it will alter game-play too much to implement it. Even if it is optional. And that is a legitimate concern, since the game excels in the game-play department. And build upon what you have, not have a system that needs lots of help now (ie 2K).
Ok I'm done. I'm just talking nonsense. Sorry everyone for my useless complaining about what a great game we have now. I've just been spoiled this passed year with the greatest baseball game I've ever played. Just wanting to make my experience better.

# 120 EnigmaNemesis @ 12/17/09 08:44 PM
Quote:
Just wanting to make my experience better.
Nothing wrong with that. Just giving some insight to why I think some fear that addition.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.