Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has the juice.

Quote:
"Electronic Arts says next Madden title will be different. Significantly.

During a conference call with investors this afternoon, CEO John Riccitiello stated both Dead Space 2 and an "innovative" Madden, presumably Madden NFL 2011, will be available during the company's 2011 fiscal year, which ranges from April 2010 through March 2011.

"Looking at Fiscal 2011, I think we've got a fabulous title plan," Riccitiello stated. "We've got a great new version of Medal of Honor, a revitalized Need for Speed, Sims on console, FIFA in a World Cup year, an innovative and new take on Madden, Dead Space 2, Crysis at full margins, a new MMA game, and many others."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 roadman @ 01/11/10 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy

In reading this thread and the one about the hiring of Turmell, I've never seen so many foregone conclusions be made with so little, or virtually no, evidence or facts to support those conclusions.

Best post in the thread.

# 62 MattIntellect @ 01/11/10 11:53 PM
Let's look at things this way. Forget about Mark Turmell's history of arcade games, forget about speculation of Riccitiello's comments. Just think for a second. What if innovation isn't a bad sign. If it isn't, what do you think it could mean? Maybe EA is finally rising up to the challenge of making a game worthy of the highest sports accolades. One word that Madden has lacked over the past few years was innovation. Madden's been hyped every year, but consumers always wondered when Madden would finally be innovative. I always thought that innovation was the next big step. Something that held titles like Madden NFL 10 from reaching its highest potential. The lack of this, the lack of that are common complaints every year, but what if it is different this time around? Some will take Riccitiello's words for now as they are to them. Innovation will lead to better ways to reach the masses of Madden to improve sales and derail Madden's path to bring simulation football to Madden, but what if they all end up wrong? Ian said that their goals for Madden hasn't changed. It's all up to whether you trust those words or not. All I know is that this news isn't something I'd jump to conclusions on just yet.

# 63 jyoung @ 01/12/10 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
How do some guys get, more arcade, wii player models, etc, out of "innovative"?

# 64 kjcheezhead @ 01/12/10 12:08 AM
I do find it interesting that the company is gonna give us a"new take" on Madden the same year a new football title is expected to release that is really trying to be innovative.

Who says competition doesn't breed better games?

# 65 splff3000 @ 01/12/10 01:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
lol classic

BTW - What is rubberband AI? I must've missed the class on that one.

OK, I just want to say a few things.

First - ESPN integration is not innovative. It was in a game from 5 yrs ago called NFL 2k5.

Second - after reading some of the other posts, I have relaxed somewhat. I did not know that Turmell had worked on a sim game before. That eases my mind a bit.

Third - I agree with whoever said the hype machine has started. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

I will now force myself to sit back and wait and see what happens. Still, there will be a little spot in the back of my mind waiting for some kind of bad news as far as this "new take" is involved. Until I hear/see it though, I'm gonna relax on the issue.

# 66 RaychelSnr @ 01/12/10 01:04 AM
I'd say if Madden NFL 11 was getting an innovative new approach...I'd bet they are working on rethinking how Madden is presented since it's been done roughly the same way in-game since 1998 or so. I highly doubt EA is going to ditch an extended plan for their gameplay but I guarantee they recognize sales were off this year and it's probably due to the product still feeling rather stale to many.

# 67 Valdarez @ 01/12/10 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMChrisS
I'd say if Madden NFL 11 was getting an innovative new approach...I'd bet they are working on rethinking how Madden is presented since it's been done roughly the same way in-game since 1998 or so. I highly doubt EA is going to ditch an extended plan for their gameplay but I guarantee they recognize sales were off this year and it's probably due to the product still feeling rather stale to many.
That would have been one of my guesses as well, especially after the changes in their NCAA title and the praise they received for it.

# 68 RaychelSnr @ 01/12/10 01:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
That would have been one of my guesses as well, especially after the changes in their NCAA title and the praise they received for it.
Yeah, I'll have extended thoughts in a blog tomorrow on this with a few more tidbits as I'm trying to dig them up. But definitely I'm thinking this can't be anything but positive for those feeling the game is stale.

# 69 splff3000 @ 01/12/10 01:11 AM
lol the marketing department at EA is awesome!!! They got us in here in January "discussing" things about a game that comes out in August. There hasn't been one feature mentioned whatsoever and we're going back and forth like crazy. Geniuses I tell you. Geniuses!!! All the CEO had to say is "innovative and new take on Madden" and it's got all of us wondering and guessing and some, like myself, "jumping to conclusions" lol. Noticed I said all of us, because even if you don't think it's gonna be a bad thing like some of us do, you're wondering what it could be. Geniuses!!! Madden 11 FTW!!! lol

# 70 Valdarez @ 01/12/10 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by superstarshad
If you can't coach or call the correct plays on Madden, you will lose. I think this pushed away a ton of casual football gamers (2k crowd).
You clearly know nothing of the '2K crowd'.

# 71 splff3000 @ 01/12/10 01:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Are you talking about NCAA football? If so, what changes are you talking about? I played NCAA football extensively and I didn't notice anything different except for their menus.

EDIT: In fact, I can't think of anything that was new in NCAA football that was praised lol.

# 72 PVarck31 @ 01/12/10 01:14 AM
Maybe this is good news? Maybe euphoria or a new engine?

# 73 splff3000 @ 01/12/10 01:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv31
Maybe this is good news? Maybe euphoria or a new engine?
I doubt there could be a new engine. Ian has said numerous times that we probably wouldn't see a new engine until the next gen hardware comes out. Even still it would be nice though.

I guess as a Madden forum, our job is to speculate amongst ourselves until we figure out what this "innovative and new take" is lol. So what is it?

# 74 roadman @ 01/12/10 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
lol the marketing department at EA is awesome!!! They got us in here in January "discussing" things about a game that comes out in August. There hasn't been one feature mentioned whatsoever and we're going back and forth like crazy. Geniuses I tell you. Geniuses!!! All the CEO had to say is "innovative and new take on Madden" and it's got all of us wondering and guessing and some, like myself, "jumping to conclusions" lol. Noticed I said all of us, because even if you don't think it's gonna be a bad thing like some of us do, you're wondering what it could be. Geniuses!!! Madden 11 FTW!!! lol
No need to even lump me in on this.

If it's out of my control like the weather, I don't get all giddy about it one way or another.

# 75 splff3000 @ 01/12/10 01:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
No need to even lump me in on this.

If it's out of my control like the weather, I don't get all giddy about it one way or another.
C'mon man!! You may not be giddy, but you're at least wondering what the "innovative and new take" is all about. I think most are. Some will admit it and some won't. The simple fact that you're on a Madden forum tells me you're curious enough to wonder what the CEO is talking about. Like I said, you may not be giddy, but you have to admit you're at least curious. And if you're thinking about Madden in January, the marketing department has done it's job.

# 76 kehlis @ 01/12/10 01:32 AM
Quote:
C'mon man!! You may not be giddy, but you're at least wondering what the "innovative and new take" is all about. I think most are. Some will admit it and some won't. The simple fact that you're on a Madden forum tells me you're curious enough to wonder what the CEO is talking about. Like I said, you may not be giddy, but you have to admit you're at least curious. And if you're thinking about Madden in January, the marketing department has done it's job.
That doesn't even make sense.

There are people that here regularly (myself included) regardless if there is an "announcement" or not.

# 77 splff3000 @ 01/12/10 01:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
That doesn't even make sense.

There are people that here regularly (myself included) regardless if there is an "announcement" or not.
Let me rephrase that. The fact that you're a member on the Madden forum. What I'm saying is if you care enough about the game to join a forum and post on it, then news like this will get you thinking about it. Most would just ignore it and say ok, but for someone that cares about what happens with Madden enough to join/post in a forum, it get's them thinking about it.

I think you thought I meant he was just here because of the "announcement". Actually I meant the opposite. He's here all the time so an announcement like that would have more effect on someone like him and me than it would on someone else.

# 78 MattIntellect @ 01/12/10 01:42 AM
Quote:
Well, technically the news starts flowing around this time of year, specifically next month. I do see what you're saying, but I think we should be thankful for this little tidbit this early. This news is weird though. Some people take it as bad news and some are looking at the possibilities of true innovations to Madden. It's all speculation, but it is not wise to jump the gun this early.

# 79 metal134 @ 01/12/10 01:43 AM
Quote:
^ This guy gets it. The speculation may be right or wrong, but the fact is, EA wants us speculating. If they wanted to, they could end the speculation. But why do companies do things like this; tell us that there is some intriguing info coming out and then hold on to it for months? Because they want people talking about it.

# 80 adembroski @ 01/12/10 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeluk
I think another worrying quote is:

" The EA CEO had previously expressed his thoughts on the "discouraging" sales of Madden NFL 10."
I may be wrong here, but from what I remember, sales picked up considerably and the PS3 and Xbox 360 sales of M10 ended up ahead of M09 for the first 5 months. Slow start, fast finish.

The PS2 and Wii sales were way down, but I don't think those platforms are relevant to the community represented in these forums.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.