Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has the juice.

Quote:
"Electronic Arts says next Madden title will be different. Significantly.

During a conference call with investors this afternoon, CEO John Riccitiello stated both Dead Space 2 and an "innovative" Madden, presumably Madden NFL 2011, will be available during the company's 2011 fiscal year, which ranges from April 2010 through March 2011.

"Looking at Fiscal 2011, I think we've got a fabulous title plan," Riccitiello stated. "We've got a great new version of Medal of Honor, a revitalized Need for Speed, Sims on console, FIFA in a World Cup year, an innovative and new take on Madden, Dead Space 2, Crysis at full margins, a new MMA game, and many others."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 161 Dbrentonbuck @ 01/15/10 03:16 AM
OK, I have thought about it and this is my guess. It will be the NFL trainer game for the new Sony, Xbox and Wii motion controllers that will work with Madden 11 to train your superstar. You play NFL Trainer and your superstar improves. You boot up Madden 11 and your superstar is loaded into the game with the improvements... Or, the Xbox and Sony versions will have some form of motion controlled training built in.

That or it is some peripheral controller... like a football shaped controller that reads your movement..... someone check for a patent

# 162 Valdarez @ 01/15/10 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Good find. That'd be a great direction for them to take.
If you'll remember, ProTak was all procedural, which leads me to believe they coded it themselves. It's definitely not random using the laws of physics via PhysX.

They definitely need a new physics engine, or a rewrite / fix of the current one.

# 163 marshallfever @ 01/15/10 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Well, if you're being driven into the ground by a linebacker, just how much control SHOULD you have?

How much control would a real ball carrier have?

I don't think the game should sacrifice physics/realism just so people can have control of their players, even if it's not realistic/logical for the player to have any control of the situation. The control should come in with avoiding/diminishing the hit (jukes, spins, stiff arms, changing directions, etc), not once the hit is occurring.

I think it's silly that with AP, I can be going to the ground, hit spin and suddenly he's back on two feet and breaking the tackle or even now falling forward and getting 3 more yards because the spin animation "overpowers" the tackling animation.

I should have spun before the hit, not during it, and the game shouldn't let me "get away" with doing the move that late.
I would completely agree with this if i hadn't seen some amazing plays in my life time. I understand what you mean, but i thought the fight for every yard was crucial because in reality, when the game is on the line and you have a player like AP or Larry aiming for that first down or touch down, miracles can happen.

I think it was in the Vikings last game where AP broke 3 tackles (of course they were poor man tackles) and scored a TD, I screamed thats a Madden moment. If the physics engine can calculate power as well as speed and direction properly, then it may not be too much of an issue. However from all the Back Breaker videos i've seen, the player with the ball has always gone down when a decent tackles was given which isn't always true in real life.

# 164 CreatineKasey @ 01/15/10 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
If you'll remember, ProTak was all procedural, which leads me to believe they coded it themselves. It's definitely not random using the laws of physics via PhysX.

They definitely need a new physics engine, or a rewrite / fix of the current one.
You are right. It was good in relation to 09, but in relation to reality... it can obviously go much further. A real physics engine is something we'll see in this game or another one and I'll be interested to see if it ends up being a lot more like APF

Regarding extended animations, I'd prefer those over the levitation acts that ballcarriers put on to give the user more control. Some situations just don't allow for more control. I think OL/DL play needs more extended interactions. Really, the fact that we can't bull rush into the QB or manipulate the OL as much is really disappointing. If anyone checks out APF... see how you can bull rush blockers around. It's awesome. It changes how blocks work everywhere. The game flows smoothly across the field. Madden is full of split-second interactions where that isn't always the case.

Adding in physics can only help.

# 165 mm boost @ 01/15/10 10:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
You are right. It was good in relation to 09, but in relation to reality... it can obviously go much further. A real physics engine is something we'll see in this game or another one and I'll be interested to see if it ends up being a lot more like APF

Regarding extended animations, I'd prefer those over the levitation acts that ballcarriers put on to give the user more control. Some situations just don't allow for more control. I think OL/DL play needs more extended interactions. Really, the fact that we can't bull rush into the QB or manipulate the OL as much is really disappointing. If anyone checks out APF... see how you can bull rush blockers around. It's awesome. It changes how blocks work everywhere. The game flows smoothly across the field. Madden is full of split-second interactions where that isn't always the case.

Adding in physics can only help.
Right on, man. I bought APF2k8 for 360 last week and been playing it religiously, and the attention to detail is phenomenal!!! I was watchin' a replay last night of a run I had with Emmitt Smith, and it showed an offensive-defensive line battle, the o-line man was high coming out of his stance, d-lineman was lower and bull rushed him. Instead of running past him like on madden, the o-lineman pushed off of the d-lineman, threw his hands out to the side, hopped his feet back, squatted, re-positioned his hands under the defender's pads, and stopped his rush (when I played college ball, we called this "hop-hop" where you hop your feet backwards and get lower to regain position and hault the bull rush). It was amazing. Right beside of this, the tackle stood straight up, linebacker came off the edge and just completely ran over top of him. On the other side, my right guard and tackle double teamed the d-tackle and pancaked him. Center had a crucial pull and kick out block that sprung me for a 65 yard TD. THIS is football, folks. EA, please deliver.

I think all of EA's devs should sit down with APF2k8 for about 3 months, play it religiously, and see what they are missing from their games. The pace of the game is slowed down and drives actually take time, you have to be methodical about your play calling and moving the football, taking advantage of your opponent's mistakes, calling the right defense for the given situation, and set up plays for later in the game. I ran this outside stretch play quite a bit last night with emmitt. Finally, in the 3rd quarter, I set up the same play, they shifted the d-line to that side, and I actually had called a weak-side counter. Faked the stretch, countered back the other way and it was 2 lead blockers vs 1 safety and needless to say, I was doing the Robot in the endzone a few seconds later. It is truly amazing how the game of football is conveyed in APF2k8. If EA can pick this up, we have our football utopia!

# 166 ODogg @ 01/15/10 05:02 PM
There will never be a football utopia though simply because some folks want realism and some folks want a better videogame. What is realistic to one person is boring to another. What is arcade to one person is exciting to another. And honestly, WE are in the minority. I think Madden is probably about as realistic as it's going to get without upsetting the majority, of which do not prefer ultra-realism.

# 167 Swingking77 @ 01/15/10 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
There will never be a football utopia though simply because some folks want realism and some folks want a better videogame. What is realistic to one person is boring to another. What is arcade to one person is exciting to another. And honestly, WE are in the minority. I think Madden is probably about as realistic as it's going to get without upsetting the majority, of which do not prefer ultra-realism.
The base game should be as SIM as possible... I do not agree with you that the majority want an arcade game. If that were the case what's your reasoning behind the FIFA and NHL games, or from another company, The Show? All VERY sim games, and all very successful. Unless your point was that all football gamers just want an arcade game, to which I'd have to disagree as well with all of the people calling for the 2K series... You can make any game into an arcade game... Just take all the penalties off and play on a super easy mode. It's really THAT easy to do... To make a sim game takes more effort and THAT is the reason we haven't seen it yet from EA... The "majority" case is simply the Cool-Aid that EA has been feeding everyone for years as a scapegoat for not having to make a better game over all, when the real reason isn't the "majority" but the exculsivity of their product which allows them to sit back... You can argue the fact, but ask yourself, which of their franchises has an exclusive deal? And follow it up with "Which of their franchises has least improoved over the past five year?" The answer in both of these cases are their football franchises... That is all.

P.S. A few years back NBA Live was SO bad that they didn't even release it. I had played it, and some of the core game play issues were not as bad as has been seen in the Madden games of the same time period.

# 168 Valdarez @ 01/17/10 01:52 AM
The new take on Madden will be a retro styled game sporting a top down side view ala Super Tecmo Bowl circa 1991. All endzone touchdown animations to be replaced with sliding views of cheer leaders. Upon hearing the news, the youth of the Madden Nation rejoiced.

To manage the ongoing Madden needs, President Obama appointed a new Madden czar Frank Caliendo. With the new czar in place and to keep with the throwback look, the game is tentatively titled 'Osama's Been Madden'.

# 169 HesTheCoach @ 01/17/10 03:31 AM
Quote:
The new take on Madden will be a retro styled game sporting a top down side view ala Super Tecmo Bowl circa 1991. All endzone touchdown animations to be replaced with sliding views of cheer leaders. Upon hearing the news, the youth of the Madden Nation rejoiced.

To manage the ongoing Madden needs, President Obama appointed a new Madden czar Frank Caliendo. With the new czar in place and to keep with the throwback look, the game is tentatively titled 'Osama's Been Madden'.
You're obviously joking about Madden taking a side view like Tecmo Bowl, but I honestly think that's the easiest and best way to make a football game more realistic. That way you focus on the actual game instead of just the graphics.

Making games in 3D with newer and newer graphics is, IMO, one of the biggest hurdles to making a sports game, or at least a football game, realistic. The programmers have to constantly spend time focusing on this area of a game instead of making the overall game complete and realistic, IMO. Think about all the animations that are involved in that and Madden still doesn't seem to be even close to emulating a real football game. It's unbelievable to me that Madden STILL has players running around like robots. Even the Blitz games, which are 3D, didn't have this problem.

I haven't played this year's Madden but have played them in the past and it's obvious that Madden will never be what a lot of people on here want it to be. I've read enough posts in the gripe thread that attest to that, players warping, LB's intercepting pitches (??!!), WR's having 4 feet inbounds but not being ruled in bounds, etc.

# 170 Valdarez @ 01/17/10 09:24 AM
Definitely joking. I still have my NES hooked up in my bedroom and play Super Tecmo Bowl from time to time though. Definitely not 'sim', but still fun to play to this day.

# 171 CreatineKasey @ 01/17/10 09:55 AM
Quote:
Definitely joking. I still have my NES hooked up in my bedroom and play Super Tecmo Bowl from time to time though. Definitely not 'sim', but still fun to play to this day.
Take away the ability for users to control DL and you have a really solid, balanced multiplayer game. I used to play in the OTFL (Online Tecmo Football League) and it was an absolute riot as a child... on 56k no less.

I hope a new creative director helps take that "fun" and "solid gameplay" approach. I love using specific features within football games, but I hate playing people that "game the game" more than anything. I just want to play a solid game of football and have my football solutions to football problems work... not "come out in Quarters D blitz to stop goal line offtackle". That's lame.

# 172 denverbro89 @ 01/29/10 01:02 PM
This is when Madden has epic fails. Instead of building on something that was pretty good, had it flaws, but definitely was an improvement, they scrap everything and start over when that's not necessary. I don't get it because Ea succeeds in all their other games, but Madden is always behind the other titles every year now since Madden 04. Pro-Tak was good, lets see that improved.

# 173 Widowlander @ 02/01/10 08:47 AM
This "new and innovative" take on the Madden franchise is actually nothing more than Project Natal functionality. That's it. And if you think they are going to do ANY MORE than THAT you're wrong and begging to be duped once again by EA at years end. They aren't going to change the engine, the game will STILL have the same bugs it's had since 06, they will have some bells and whistles to destract you from the fact that this is the same game since 06 with some needed improvements in presentation and features, but completely neglected in A.I. and just plain football expression. Project Natal will be the BIG THING this holiday, and MS is scrambling the troops in order to get it into homes right off the bat. Imagine Madden 11, garunteed to sell millions, with a big old "Project Natal Enabled" sticker right on the front! Man, that will sell at least a few thousand Natals right out the gate. The GAME will still suck but at least it's got a cool 'new and innovative' take on how it sucks. It's about money folks, nothing more.

# 174 LingeringRegime @ 02/01/10 08:50 AM
Pretty much, Widowlander.

# 175 mm boost @ 02/01/10 09:00 AM
My question, is how the **** is Madden going to work on Natal? Are we going to be the quarterback and stand in the pocket and run around the living room like a chicken with it's head cut off when Romo's offensive line doesn't block for **** and I have to evade the pressure? And then what about defense? Will I have to emulate a tackle? Yeah...I see that going over real well...I'll end up either spearing the coffee table or jumping up to defend a pass and putting my fist through the ceiling. **** your Natal and it's "Innovation". I only see Natal working in an Arcade environment, not a Sim environment. If indeed Natal is the innovation, then you best believe the game is going to be more arcade than it's predecessors.

# 176 ODogg @ 02/01/10 09:17 AM
I really don't see how Natal could work with Madden. I doubt that's it.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.