Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

Joystiq has posted a rumor on Tecmo Bowl Throwback possibly coming to XBLA and PSN. How cool would that be?

Quote:
"A trusted source (the same who provided us with early knowledge of Lucidity and NBA2K10 Draft Combine) has just informed Joystiq that Tecmo's planned Tecmo Bowl update for XBLA is also coming to PSN. Dubbed "Tecmo Bowl Throwback," the game is a remake of the NES classic, complete with HD graphics and an updated soundtrack -- it also retains the original plays and team stats. And for those of you who fear the fancy-schmancy graphics of high-def games, Tecmo is also including an option to play Tecmo Bowl in its original state. There's even team customization, ensuring your lifelong dream of creating a horribly out-of-shape and uncompetitive Joystiq team is a real possibility."

Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 41 HesTheCoach @ 01/29/10 08:38 PM
I've never seen the PSX TSB in motion before (I honestly didn't even think it looked like that, I thought it had a different viewpoint). Very surprised at how good it looks in motion. Graphics are good too. Field is wider than TSB III, which is good.

About 95% of the things I've heard about that game have been downright horrible so I have to assume the gameplay is bad. Real bad.

It actually reminds me a lot of TSB III from looking at that video, which I definitely didn't expect.

# 42 CreatineKasey @ 01/29/10 10:57 PM
I actually put some decent hours into the PSX game... but nothing close to the older iterations... especially TSB III

# 43 reo @ 01/30/10 07:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HesTheCoach
I've never seen the PSX TSB in motion before (I honestly didn't even think it looked like that, I thought it had a different viewpoint). Very surprised at how good it looks in motion. Graphics are good too. Field is wider than TSB III, which is good.

About 95% of the things I've heard about that game have been downright horrible so I have to assume the gameplay is bad. Real bad.

It actually reminds me a lot of TSB III from looking at that video, which I definitely didn't expect.
I liked the PSX Tecmo. I liked TSB III too. I honestly can't see how someone can play a game for only 5 minutes and feel like they've played the game inside and out. To each their own though. Play it yourself. See if you like it.

# 44 TheWatcher @ 01/30/10 08:34 AM
^^^ Sometimes a person plays a game and they just can't stand it. You wanna give it more of a chance, but you just can't stomach it. I gave it more than 5 minutes. I tried to play 3 games, but... it just wasn't right to me. I absolutely hated the lag, too. It was ridiculous.

It wasn't the worst football game I ever played (that's a tie between NFL Football for NES and Madden 08), but it was certainly the worst Tecmo Bowl I ever played.

# 45 NinerFan1983 @ 01/30/10 02:31 PM
LOL @ NFL Football (NES) mention..

I still remember that game, because that had to be one of the slowest moving games I have ever played.

I think the best part of the game might have been the menu music, that's about it.

# 46 HesTheCoach @ 01/30/10 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
^^^ Sometimes a person plays a game and they just can't stand it. You wanna give it more of a chance, but you just can't stomach it. I gave it more than 5 minutes. I tried to play 3 games, but... it just wasn't right to me. I absolutely hated the lag, too. It was ridiculous.

It wasn't the worst football game I ever played (that's a tie between NFL Football for NES and Madden 08), but it was certainly the worst Tecmo Bowl I ever played.
That's pretty much the general consensus on the game. I was just surprised at how good it looked. It was cool to see how the game panned closer to the field on kickoffs and then zoomed back out.

# 47 ODogg @ 02/15/10 03:03 PM
Tecmo on the PSX was awful. I just got a Wii on Saturday and downloaded the original Tecmo Bowl Arcade version and it's a blast. I like it when the players are more rounded and cartoony looking, not all flat and spaced out like on the PSX version. I actually would love to buy an arcade console of Tecmo Bowl if I ever found one.

I'm really hoping and praying that this Tecmo Throwback is like the arcade game in graphics, but with real teams, real NFL players (even if they are the old players that's fine) and they just upped the field and player detail into HD.

# 48 reo @ 02/15/10 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by HesTheCoach
That's pretty much the general consensus on the game. I was just surprised at how good it looked. It was cool to see how the game panned closer to the field on kickoffs and then zoomed back out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Tecmo on the PSX was awful. I just got a Wii on Saturday and downloaded the original Tecmo Bowl Arcade version and it's a blast. I like it when the players are more rounded and cartoony looking, not all flat and spaced out like on the PSX version. I actually would love to buy an arcade console of Tecmo Bowl if I ever found one.

I'm really hoping and praying that this Tecmo Throwback is like the arcade game in graphics, but with real teams, real NFL players (even if they are the old players that's fine) and they just upped the field and player detail into HD.
That's fine. I still can't understand it though. It was Tecmo Football on the PSX. It was the same game. I don't understand how people feel it played so different. It only looked different. Weird . . .

Also, anyone rather play NES Play Action Football > Tecmo? Please excuse the hijack.

This game . . .

# 49 CreatineKasey @ 02/15/10 05:10 PM
I played playaction football. I think Tecmo still owned it, though. That game has such a great strategical balance that I will not expound upon right now.

I WANT TECMO THROWBACK!!!! Online Tecmo leagues on XBLA and PSN would be a riot.

# 50 jyoung @ 02/15/10 05:29 PM
Back when SNES games cost $2 for a 5-day rental, I played just about every SNES football game I could find:

Troy Aikman Football
Emmitt Smith Football
NFL Football (Konami)
Super Play Action Football
Super High Impact
Quarterback Club
Pro Quarterback (Tradewest)

et al.

Tecmo Super Bowl III was the best one of the system by a mile.

I would actually give my second-place vote to Quarterback Club.

Loved those QB-specific playbooks as well as the great QB Challenge minigames.

# 51 TimmeH @ 02/15/10 06:52 PM
I played the hell out of Playaction Football as a kid. I almost always ran with the Niners. It moves so slow, yet was so addicting. I remember yelling "HIZZOWN!" for every first down because that's what it sounded like the ref would yell lol.

I also loved QB Challenge on Genesis. Although I think I liked the mini-games more than the actual game.

# 52 CreatineKasey @ 02/15/10 08:58 PM
I remember creating players and leveling them in TSB 3!

That game was pretty deep if I remember correctly. They had some new player interactions, namely the finesse HB spins and the power HB player drags that I really liked.

All this Tecmo talk is eating me up inside. I want to play you guys online in Tecmo ASAP!

# 53 boxboy99 @ 02/15/10 09:06 PM
I loved some playaction football even though it was slow as hell. Not as bad as NFL but still it moved at a turtles pace. The king on the SNES/Sega platform is Montana '94. End of discussion :P Tecmo was great also. I think what made Tecmo great is that it is a party game. I remember getting a couple friends over for a weekend and knocking out a season. Fun times.

# 54 reo @ 02/15/10 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I played playaction football. I think Tecmo still owned it, though.
See, maybe I'm burned out of it. I still prefer PA over TSB on the NES.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I remember creating players and leveling them in TSB 3! That game was pretty deep if I remember correctly.
Don't forget the larger playbooks. Nothing compares to TSB III imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmeH
I also loved QB Challenge on Genesis. Although I think I liked the mini-games more than the actual game.
Haha. So true.

# 55 ODogg @ 02/16/10 03:44 PM
My ultimate Tecmo Bowl would be to use the Arcade as a template, with the bigger, rounder players, instead of using the NES/SNES player looks. Then put in real NFL teams, classic (or current) NFL players. Give us some better textures for the field and the players in form of HD graphics. Keep the sounds about the same but maybe make them in 5.1. Then add some weather (white field with footprints, brown/green field with puddles), make it all play online in some online season or random play and Tecmo would be rolling in the dough.

That alone would be worth buying an arcade stick to shake off tacklers IMO!!

# 56 Bellsprout @ 02/16/10 04:20 PM
I've read EA doesn't hold exclusive rights for mobile games. That's how Gameloft or some weird company was able to put out an NFL 2010 for iPhone.

Tecmo should seize on that. They would sell so many copies of a new Tecmo Super Bowl with updated players for iPhone. I would buy it. Twice. Out of appreciation.

# 57 ODogg @ 02/16/10 04:30 PM
OMG, good point man. Why don't Tecmo do a Tecmo Bowl on iPhone like..NOW?

You know honestly i've never got the feeling from Tecmo that they ever really liked Tecmo Bowl that much. Does anyone else get that feeling too? It's almost as if they are kind of embarrassed to be associated with it or something? Maybe it's the failure of some of their other sports games made them just hate sports games or something.

Anyone remember Tecmo Basketball? My friend had it, it wasn't bad but I never liked it as much as the EA basketball games back in the day.

# 58 Bellsprout @ 02/16/10 04:34 PM
I've always gotten the feeling that 20 years later they're a little bitter that the name "Tecmo" is still synonymous with a NES-era football game. I think they'd like to be known for something else by now.

I had Tecmo Super NBA Basketball for SNES. That game was fun as heck...until NBA Jam came out and ruled my console for like a year.

# 59 HesTheCoach @ 02/16/10 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
I've read EA doesn't hold exclusive rights for mobile games. That's how Gameloft or some weird company was able to put out an NFL 2010 for iPhone.

Tecmo should seize on that. They would sell so many copies of a new Tecmo Super Bowl with updated players for iPhone. I would buy it. Twice. Out of appreciation.
That is an awesome idea. The graphics could be updated and would look great on the iphone. Perfect way to get around the EA rights.

I'm pretty sure that Tecmo did release a Tecmo Bowl for cell phones a couple years ago but I don't think it had updated rosters.

# 60 HesTheCoach @ 02/16/10 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
OMG, good point man. Why don't Tecmo do a Tecmo Bowl on iPhone like..NOW?

You know honestly i've never got the feeling from Tecmo that they ever really liked Tecmo Bowl that much. Does anyone else get that feeling too? It's almost as if they are kind of embarrassed to be associated with it or something? Maybe it's the failure of some of their other sports games made them just hate sports games or something.

Anyone remember Tecmo Basketball? My friend had it, it wasn't bad but I never liked it as much as the EA basketball games back in the day.
Well they sure treat the franchise like it's worthless! Pretty obvious with the amount of effort they put into the DS version. Talk about a major letdown.

They're sitting on a potential goldmine and the dummies don't even know it. Although maybe that shouldn't be surprising given that it is Tecmo after all.

Post A Comment
This thread has been closed for new comments.