Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

ESPN's Jon Robinson has posted an interview with Ben Bishop, Producer of Major League Baseball 2K10.

Quote:
John: "MLB 2K9 was pretty much panned across the board. What did you think of the final product when it shipped and how did the failure of last year's game help shape the direction of '2K10?'"

Ben: "MLB 2K9 was certainly a challenging project for us because of the fact that we switched developers and the game came to us (Visual Concepts) a little later than we expected and it was a new code base. There was a big period of adjustment as we just tried to get our heads wrapped around what was there and what we could do in the time that we had. In a lot of ways, there were things that we just had to leave on the table and know that we had to get the game ready by a certain period of time, and we really feel that with '2K10' we were able to go back and get to all these things that were left on the table and start fresh with a code base that we were now familiar with.

When you look at it, '2K10' is a lot of what we wanted '2K9' to be, but we just weren't ready to get it there. The game has really evolved a lot this year, everything from the visuals to the gameplay mechanics to being able to add things like My Player, as that was certainly a big weakness for us last year, not being able to play through a player's career. I really think we've turned things around this year and now we can continue to move in the direction we want for the series."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 HealyMonster @ 01/26/10 10:44 PM
wow. leadership 101--blame everyone else for every problem. How many times in that interview did he mention they got the game late, they didn't get full time with it, its someone elses fault it stunk,etc? Thats the head guy? This is the "leader 2k sports put their mlb franchise behind? Im sorry, but the guy needs to go to some classes or something. the excuses, regardless if they are factual or not, are pointless at this point. I'm telling you guys, just from, his answers and attitude, dont expect much from this game.

I know im going off a bit for no reason, but it angers me that these dudes are in this position and cant even man up. I want a dude running things who stands up and says "we have faultered in the past, but we cant sit here and dwell, we have to move forward. from here on out, its on me. Next question.

# 22 Knight165 @ 01/26/10 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade44
wow. leadership 101--blame everyone else for every problem. How many times in that interview did he mention they got the game late, they didn't get full time with it, its someone elses fault it stunk,etc? Thats the head guy? This is the "leader 2k sports put their mlb franchise behind? Im sorry, but the guy needs to go to some classes or something. the excuses, regardless if they are factual or not, are pointless at this point. I'm telling you guys, just from, his answers and attitude, dont expect much from this game.

I know im going off a bit for no reason, but it angers me that these dudes are in this position and cant even man up. I want a dude running things who stands up and says "we have faultered in the past, but we cant sit here and dwell, we have to move forward. from here on out, its on me. Next question.
Jerry Manuel is busy.

M.K.
Knight165

# 23 Trevytrev11 @ 01/26/10 10:59 PM
Robinson: How many seasons can you play in My Player? Is there a draft? Bishop: You play 15 seasons, but there isn't a draft. When you start out, we wanted to give you some flexibility with your career, so when you create your player, you can select what team you want to play on.

----------------------------------------------------------

Why only 15 years? Seems too short. You get called up at 23 and are forced to retire at 38? Maybe you're sitting at 2,950 hits or 745 HR's 0r 295 wins and you're just done. Seems like a bad idea to even put a cap on it, and a horrible one to make it that short.

Completely mind boggling.

# 24 kashmir28 @ 01/26/10 11:12 PM
Wow, so 2K admits that MLB 2K9 was garbage 10 months after release and they were fully aware of that. I know its not likely, or logical, but 2K should offer some type of discount for those that ordered 2K9 directly from them. Hell, I still have my copy from Gamestop, but would vouch for those that ordered from 2K to receive some compensation.

# 25 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/26/10 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcxiv
I thought its used more for like say the pitcher is pounding in your cold area. You defensive swing a pitch until you get a pitch you like, strike out or walk. I have seen Manny Ramirez do this just about every at bat. You pitch him something he doesnt like, he will just foul it off until you mess up or he does.

People are so quick to jump the gun on things.

And I seen him check his swing every at bat. And every player in the game is not Manny Ramirez. So to do it with every player, and all or nothing approach is redundant. Especially when you cant check your swing on a suspenseful borderline walk or strike out.

And he isn't so super that he is fouling off pitches till he likes one, most are ones he is trying to smash and just missing solid contact. Having it separate is a band aide in a flawed hitting system IMO. Fouling off defensively should be in the regular swing button.

MLB players don't have the magic defensive swing button.

# 26 duke776 @ 01/26/10 11:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
Why only 15 years? Seems too short. You get called up at 23 and are forced to retire at 38? Maybe you're sitting at 2,950 hits or 745 HR's 0r 295 wins and you're just done. Seems like a bad idea to even put a cap on it, and a horrible one to make it that short.

Completely mind boggling.
I agree, this mode is about making yourself a star, I don't normally see stars retire at the age of 33(assuming you make your player 18 at the beginning). Makes no sense, IMO.

# 27 Blzer @ 01/26/10 11:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowTyme15
Did anyone notice in the Upton pic that the bat is still in the batters box when he crossed the plate?
I'm trying to find out what's wrong with this. I've had times where I'm on third and on a base hit I cross the plate only to have to move the bat in case there's a play at the plate for the runner behind me. What do you guys do, throw your bats at your dugout?

I just think as long as there are different kinds of bat drops and tosses, it won't be too bad.

EDIT: But I did notice a little redundancy in one of Ben's answers:

Quote:
We'll start with batting. For one, the camera has been adjusted to give you a better perspective on the pitches as they're coming in. It's fairly subtle, but it turns out to be a significant difference. It just feels like you have a much better eye for pitches as they're coming in. The new view has you looking a little more up and it gives you a better sense of what is coming off of the pitcher's hand.

And uh... wouldn't it have been easier for him to say this?

Quote:
... and if you're like me and you have the tendency to swing at every pitch, we have a check-swing option within the control scheme to hold back on those low curveballs in the dirt.
Doesn't take a whole new feature to help out with our swinging at every pitch.

# 28 KeMiKaL @ 01/26/10 11:18 PM
that last question and answer in teh interview made me happy to know i will be playing my player mode

# 29 ShowTyme15 @ 01/27/10 12:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
I'm trying to find out what's wrong with this. I've had times where I'm on third and on a base hit I cross the plate only to have to move the bat in case there's a play at the plate for the runner behind me. What do you guys do, throw your bats at your dugout?

I just think as long as there are different kinds of bat drops and tosses, it won't be too bad.

EDIT: But I did notice a little redundancy in one of Ben's answers:

And uh... wouldn't it have been easier for him to say this?

Doesn't take a whole new feature to help out with our swinging at every pitch.
No of course not i wouldn't expect a player to throw a bat in the dugout. All I am saying is that it just looks odd in this particular screen, maybe it is the angle of the bat in the batters box I dunno, but it just doesn't seem right. I play baseball too and I've been in the same situation with crossing the plate so I know exactly what you mean, it's just something is bothering me in this image.

# 30 Blzer @ 01/27/10 12:14 AM
Quote:
In the end if the game is not for you, dont buy it and move on. i've done it and i am a much much bigger football fan then a baseball fan. I learned to get over it.
What if we want it to be for us, though? What if we felt things would be better for everyone'e sake if our input was relevant to their development cycle? What if they have so many things right with this game or that do better than the other game that it's disappointing to see the slightest of downfalls knock us away from a purchase, and if addressed then we would do so the next year?

Our "complaints" is another way of us putting something on the 2K11 wishlist. Get enough people behind it, and they'll hear you... maybe they'll even follow suit.

# 31 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/27/10 12:21 AM
Quote:
i cant defend the new check swing thing, i have stated that many times. If you dont want to use defensive dont use it. Big time batters may want to use it. HOnestly. in every video baseball game i have played, i have Rarely used it. I am pretty damned good in baseball games as well *PVP*. I will be playing 2K10 obviously and not the show as i am not going to buy another baseball game when i got one. I Rather keep my money for God of War 3 and Super Street Fighter IV.

People just want to pile up on something before we even see how something works visually. In any game i wait and see what the final product is done. Just like i do with Madden, cept i was a effin ******* and bought 09. I seen how madden 10 was and i passed and you know what? i dont even have another football game to turntoo and i have a 360 and a PS3. I am just **** out of luck.

In the end if the game is not for you, dont buy it and move on. i've done it and i am a much much bigger football fan then a baseball fan. I learned to get over it.

You are rambling on about has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

We can voice our displeasure constructively as baseball fans to have them improve the game.

There is no defensive swings in MLB that are done at will. To warrant a button. It doesn't happen. I have played baseball for 20 years of my life, coached, and even minor league levels, I wont indulge to you too much, but I will tell you from personal experience, and being around guys all the time, defensive swings are a result of missing your pitch. Nothing more. Nobody is taught to go up to the plate with a "defensive swing" in their minds. And this game puts that in the players minds.

You are always taught to put a ball in play in baseball from T-ball to the big leagues.

Checking is more crucial, and taken out. It is easy to judge a system with this glaring flaw before it comes out.

All or nothing swinging is not a sim. Sorry.

The arguments you present to me just don't make any sense to a baseball mindset.

# 32 JT30 @ 01/27/10 12:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
You are rambling on about has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

We can voice our displeasure constructively as baseball fans to have them improve the game.

There is no defensive swings in MLB that are done at will. To warrant a button. It doesn't happen. I have played baseball for 20 years of my life, coached, and even minor league levels, I wont indulge to you too much, but I will tell you from personal experience, and being around guys all the time, defensive swings are a result of missing your pitch. Nothing more. Nobody is taught to go up to the plate with a "defensive swing" in their minds. And this game puts that in the players minds.

You are always taught to put a ball in play in baseball from T-ball to the big leagues.

Checking is more crucial, and taken out. It is easy to judge a system with this glaring flaw before it comes out.

All or nothing swinging is not a sim. Sorry.

The arguments you present to me just don't make any sense to a baseball mindset.
Just curious.. is "protecting the plate" and a "defensive swing" related?

# 33 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/27/10 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
Just curious.. is "protecting the plate" and a "defensive swing" related?

Protecting the plate is broadcasting lingo. The batter is still trying to put a ball in play, and is usually late on the swing and yes is defensive in a way (but not planned), where it is fouled off, but it is a result of him guessing the wrong pitch, or misreading it, and it ends up over the strike zone or close, thus he puts a late swing on it which usually results in a foul, but also a lazy grounder to first or third.

But in no means does he have an softer "get out of jail" swing where it is just for defensive purposes. He still tries to make contact and put it in play. It is what we are taught.

The way it is implemented in this game, it is a planned swing that really does nothing but to foul it off. It should not be incorporated this way, but incorporated in the TIMING of the hitting system with the regular hitting.

And check swings should be there instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
I dunno. I"ll comment, then I"m out, but all my years of playing I have NEVER known a batter to try to foul a pitch off. They get "fooled" and might be better at getting a piece of the ball, but intentional defensive swings? Sorry, ain't buyin' it one bit.

Anyway, this can go on and on. Later, and good night to all.
Exactly right Jim. Some hitters are better at making contact on bad pitches, or late swings, but they are by no means, intentionally fouling off pitches for "their pitch". That is all broadcasting hype.

Every time you commit to a swing, it is in hopes to put it in play.

# 34 JT30 @ 01/27/10 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
I think it is.
I do too... just wondering why Enigma is saying that no hitter has this mindset of protecting the plate when batting. And for him to say a defensive swing is the result of missing a pitch, is incorrect. There are MLB players, present and past, who were good enough to foul off pitches they knew,or had a pretty good idea, were coming

# 35 JT30 @ 01/27/10 12:34 AM
Quote:
Protecting the plate is broadcasting lingo. The batter is still trying to put a ball in play, and is usually late on the swing and yes is defensive in a way (but not planned), where it is fouled off, but it is a result of him guessing the wrong pitch, or misreading it, and it ends up over the strike zone or close, thus he puts a late swing on it which usually results in a foul, but also a lazy grounder to first or third.

But in no means does he have an softer "get out of jail" swing where it is just for defensive purposes. He still tries to make contact and put it in play. It is what we are taught.

The way it is implemented in this game, it is a planned swing that really does nothing but to foul it off. It should not be incorporated this way, but incorporated in the TIMING of the hitting system with the regular hitting.

And check swings should be there instead.
Ok so when a batter is in the hole with the count, say 0-2 or 1-2, they are trying to put the ball in play?

I have seen MLB players and guys I have played with in college.. whom could purposely foul off a breaking ball or high outside fastball, that was borderline strike, to stay alive. They certainly weren't trying to take a borderline pitch and put it in play on purpose. They were simply fouling off a pitch (because they were good enough), so they could work the count a bit more in hopes of the pitcher making a mistake with his next pitch

# 36 JT30 @ 01/27/10 12:42 AM
Quote:
Every time you commit to a swing, it is in hopes to put it in play.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree.. one thing that sets major leaguers apart from all other levels, even AAA, is the ability to keep fouling off pitches they can't handle. You might even go as far to say they have this ability to tire out a pitcher. That might be a little too much, but I know for a fact there are plenty of major league ball players who have the ability to foul off borderline pitches they know they rather not put in play.

# 37 Artman22 @ 01/27/10 12:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim416
Well, you seem to be doing a pretty good job with your Manny analogy, lol. Let the people discuss this stuff without you trying to cover for 2k. Nobody really knows, but geez, c'mon. Somebody could say if you don't like what's being said, move on. I stay out of here, but I want the game to be good, but....just sayin'
I understand what you're saying jim, but it's becoming out of hand in the 2k forums. It seems like it's cool to bring up the same thing over and over in the 2k boards. It's the same people doing it and nothing gets done. I'm no appologist. 2k baseball has been bad for next gen period, but who doesn't know that? I want options and I hope 2k10 is good. I want 2 good baseball games. It sucks that there's no check swing, but do I bring it up every second to get my point across? This seems to be the norm on these boards lately. If this game is bad then I still have the other game which is great and I'm set.

# 38 jeffy777 @ 01/27/10 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JT30
I have seen MLB players and guys I have played with in college.. whom could purposely foul off a breaking ball or high outside fastball, that was borderline strike, to stay alive. They certainly weren't trying to take a borderline pitch and put it in play on purpose. They were simply fouling off a pitch (because they were good enough), so they could work the count a bit more in hopes of the pitcher making a mistake with his next pitch

I agree. There are good hitters who when the are in the hole or have a full count, will shorten their swing and intentionally make an effort to foul off borderline pitches in hopes of either getting a more hittable pitch or a walk. It's been happening since the dawn of baseball. They don't decide before the pitch is thrown, but once they see it's a pitch they don't like, yet too close to take, they will use a defensive swing to try to stay alive and fight the pitch off to hopefully get a more favorable pitch. Some hitters are better than others at this, and some don't even purposely attempt it, but it certainly does happen, and it's intentional with many good hitters.

# 39 PVarck31 @ 01/27/10 12:54 AM
Lets simmer down a bit. No more accusing people of having an agenda.

Keep the criticism constructive.

Leave the fanboyism at the door.

Only warning.

# 40 JT30 @ 01/27/10 12:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
It is actually to see more pitches. That is what you want to do see all the pitches that pitcher has.
Yes I am talking about batters fouling off pitches they can't handle.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.