Home
MLB 2K10 News Post

2K Sports has posted another Major League Baseball 2K10 Developer Insight. This one features Franchise Mode.

Quote:
"So let’s get into it! This year we added 40 Man Rosters/September Call-Ups, Compensation Picks, Spring Training, Trade Finder, Player Finder, Super Sim, Franchise Blogs, Variable Contracts and MLB Today presentation (we’ll also have a lot more about this in an upcoming Insight). I’ll go into a few of these new features in more depth later on in this write-up."

Game: Major League Baseball 2K10Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 33 - View All
Major League Baseball 2K10 Videos
Member Comments
# 81 Trevytrev11 @ 01/28/10 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiceman
I'm sure you'd have to offer X. That way there is a risk to making an offer if you truly don't want them to accept it.

Plus, a compensation pick would probably be a sandwich pick after the first round and before the 2nd round. So yes it's a first round pick, but it's low. I guess everyone has their own philosophy of building a team. I just don't see it a viable strategy even if you could bulk up on comp picks.
Hahaha...as an A's fan I'm used to this philosophy!!!

But I'm not so much talking about using this as a strategy to build a team as much as a way to get something for nothing whenever you let a quality free agent walk that you never intended to sign.

Like the Yanks right now with Damon. There is no place for him since they've made other signings and they have no plans to sign him, but if it was as simple as making a $500K offer when he's looking for $10M to lock up a top 30+ rookie...why not.

Like you said, hopefully there is a min that has to be offered so there is a fear that they may just take the offer and you'd be handcuffed.

# 82 findinghomer @ 01/28/10 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight165
Sounds like no waivers, options or Rule V though.
Looks like a good base though.

M.K.
Knight165

gotta be waivers , and options. or there would be no point.

# 83 Juiceman @ 01/28/10 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11
hey man, Twins fan here, I hear ya.

# 84 reyes the roof @ 01/28/10 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevytrev11

But I'm not so much talking about using this as a strategy to build a team as much as a way to get something for nothing whenever you let a quality free agent walk that you never intended to sign.

Like the Yanks right now with Damon. There is no place for him since they've made other signings and they have no plans to sign him, but if it was as simple as making a $500K offer when he's looking for $10M to lock up a top 30+ rookie...why not.

Like you said, hopefully there is a min that has to be offered so there is a fear that they may just take the offer and you'd be handcuffed.
I think the best way to handle it would be that you need to offer the pending free agent 1 year at his current salary in order to get compensation, that seems like the closest way to have it resemble the way that the process works in real life if arbitration is in the game. I'm really excited about this idea, but I'm also a little skeptical of how the AI will handle this

# 85 mlblover15 @ 01/28/10 05:24 PM
dont get me wrong i love the show but with this game having the addition of the trade finder may just have me switching all together. this was a feature style of thing that all star baseball had that i loved. it made making trades sooooooooooo much easier for me, not to mention much more fun. finding out who i could realisticly get for a player or find out who i would have to give up to get a certain player etc... makes trading in a baseball game much more fun and in depth.

# 86 Trevytrev11 @ 01/28/10 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I think the best way to handle it would be that you need to offer the pending free agent 1 year at his current salary in order to get compensation, that seems like the closest way to have it resemble the way that the process works in real life if arbitration is in the game. I'm really excited about this idea, but I'm also a little skeptical of how the AI will handle this
Except for the extremes. You signed a young stud to a long and cheap rookie contract before he became an perennial all star for say $4M a year. 6 years later he's Evan Longoria and looking for $15M a year, which you can't afford. So the $4M offer doesn't seem like a true reasonable attempt to sign the player.

On the other side, you have a player in his prime that you signed for a long term deal for $15M a year. 7 years later his contract is up, he's 35 and coming off a down year and probably should earn $8M. You don't want him because you have a young rookie to take his place. But now you have to make an offer of $15M, which he ain't gonna refuse (because the market price is $8M)and you don't want to pay to get your pick.

I'm sure they have this covered and we could come up with systems all day and probably shoot holes in each others ideas all day.

Maybe it's just automatic. You lose a player of a certain level and you are compensated regardless of whether or not you wanted him to leave or not.

# 87 ChaseB @ 01/28/10 06:08 PM
Quote:
Sounds like no waivers, options or Rule V though.
Looks like a good base though.

M.K.
Knight165
Yeah, that stuff is not in there. I think the reasoning was not overwhelming gamers/not having enough time this year to put that stuff in correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamin23
I'm just basing it off of NBA today if you have played NBA 2k. It should basically be the same thing except being the MLB of course. Announcers talking about what is currently happening in real life and your franchise etc.
As they explained it, it pretty much sounds like it will be identical to how NBA 2K Today works. So we should get constantly updated rosters, lineups, and then obviously we will also get the day's pitching match-ups to mess around with etc. And then we should get the standings/stat overlays that mimic real life in exhibition games and then adhere to what's happening within your own franchise mode game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I'm curious to see how the compensation picks will work if they don't have arbitration in the game. You only get comp picks if you offer arbitration to a player, so without it, the free agency period and compensation could get messy if nearly every player you lose yields a draft pick
Yeah I asked about this is as well. Basically anyone who qualifies as a Type A or B, is automatically a Type A or B since you do not have to go through the process of tendering a contract etc. to that player -- so there's no way for the player to turn down the contract and then obviously be tied to a first- or second-round pick if another team signs him.

This means any team who signs someone who is classified as a Type A or B automatically gives up the pick regardless of whether or not the player's old team tried to sign him. Again, the reasoning seems to be not wanting to overwhelm gamers/not having enough time this year to put that stuff in correctly.

# 88 Knight165 @ 01/28/10 08:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
Yeah, that stuff is not in there. I think the reasoning was not overwhelming gamers/not having enough time this year to put that stuff in correctly.

As they explained it, it pretty much sounds like it will be identical to how NBA 2K Today works. So we should get constantly updated rosters, lineups, and then obviously we will also get the day's pitching match-ups to mess around with etc. And then we should get the standings/stat overlays that mimic real life in exhibition games and then adhere to what's happening within your own franchise mode game.

Yeah I asked about this is as well. Basically anyone who qualifies as a Type A or B, is automatically a Type A or B since you do not have to go through the process of tendering a contract etc. to that player -- so there's no way for the player to turn down the contract and then obviously be tied to a first- or second-round pick if another team signs him.

This means any team who signs someone who is classified as a Type A or B automatically gives up the pick regardless of whether or not the player's old team tried to sign him. Again, the reasoning seems to be not wanting to overwhelm gamers/not having enough time this year to put that stuff in correctly.
Hmmm...some of this is disappointing.....but like I said...it's a start.
Thanks Chase.

M.K.
Knight165

# 89 Knight165 @ 01/28/10 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlblover15
dont get me wrong i love the show but with this game having the addition of the trade finder may just have me switching all together. this was a feature style of thing that all star baseball had that i loved. it made making trades sooooooooooo much easier for me, not to mention much more fun. finding out who i could realisticly get for a player or find out who i would have to give up to get a certain player etc... makes trading in a baseball game much more fun and in depth.

....and so realistic.(if this is indeed what this means...are we sure of that?)

I hope for game to move away from this kind of thing for GM modes.
Player finder...fine...but if you can simply put a players name into the trade finder...and find a plethora(wow....did I just use that word! )...of players to get in return automatically.....where is the fun in that?
Rumor mill....or putting your guy on the block and getting offers...fine...but I hate anything that's "instant" in a GM mode. Sorting ratings by number....instantly knowing if a trade is going to go through...etc(I've even got the SCEA team to get rid of the trade acceptance bar in the screen...hopefully this year...if not next....so you have to wait for the opposing GM to e-mail you of his answer)...it's that kind of thing that makes for a more realistic franchise mode.

M.K.
Knight165

# 90 EnigmaNemesis @ 01/28/10 08:31 PM
Quote:
....and so realistic.(if this is indeed what this means...are we sure of that?)

I hope for game to move away from this kind of thing for GM modes.
Player finder...fine...but if you can simply put a players name into the trade finder...and find a plethora(wow....did I just use that word! )...of players to get in return automatically.....where is the fun in that?
Rumor mill....or putting your guy on the block and getting offers...fine...but I hate anything that's "instant" in a GM mode. Sorting ratings by number....instantly knowing if a trade is going to go through...etc(I've even got the SCEA team to get rid of the trade acceptance bar in the screen...hopefully this year...if not next....so you have to wait for the opposing GM to e-mail you of his answer)...it's that kind of thing that makes for a more realistic franchise mode.

M.K.
Knight165

# 91 ckarlic @ 01/28/10 10:05 PM
Sounds great. My opinions are changing about this game and so far it is looking that i might have 2 baseball games to play this year.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.