Home
NBA Live 11 News Post

NBA Live 11 has just taken an incredible blow.

Quote:
"Mike Wang has left EA Canada and the NBA LIVE development team and will be heading back to the United States. I wanted to take this opportunity to personally thank Mike for his contributions during the 18 months that he was working on NBA LIVE. His vision and leadership within gameplay on NBA LIVE 10 was part of the reason why that game was critically reviewed as having taken a tremendous leap in quality and at least as good as any other basketball game on the market.

Our goals for NBA LIVE 11 are simple. We want to be one of the best sports games on the market … on par with franchises like NHL, FIFA and Madden. In the coming months, we will show you just how we will do that.

I wish Mike and his family the best of luck.

Sean O’Brien"

Game: NBA Live 11Hype Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 7 - View All
Member Comments
# 121 Jano @ 02/03/10 08:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
Bottom Line...NBA Live 10 was very good compared to the last three years of Live games.

Did Wang have THAT much influence over it? Not really because ultimately it STILL played and felt like 07 08 and 09.

I'm just more curious about where exactly this games going as far as direction? If by sim do they mean by the game just having a online following of realistic nba stats like the symmetry thing? meaning that if they strengthen THAt that's what will make a difference? if they trigger animations properly if they add realism to the speed of the game then maybe yes but stats and game engines rarely mix and we see that. gameplay has been wonky until a editor comes along...and it's been like that for two years which Wang was around for...So...that means the influence hasn't been THAT major.

Honestly I do not think anyone influence could have been that major as been stated because it's a team of people deciding.

i know this isn't a improve Live thread but there needs to be one or just maybe good ol' tomba goes and consults them huh?
I'm with you on this one Tomba especially with that point there, what direction is the team going in. The way Mike talked about that direction scared me because it he's a hardcore bball guy.

Hopefully there main goal is to remain sim if that's the case then I'm back to my optimistic mindset I had before. But until then I'm going to approach Live 11 with caution.

# 122 23 @ 02/03/10 08:08 PM
Dude im saying relax... is that too much to ask? Going into their dollars situation doesnt look good because of your position.

# 123 BiggD @ 02/03/10 08:20 PM
I think this is a wait and see type thing.Until live11 marketing kicks in we won't really know what direction there going in.

Personally i'm not going to assume anything anymore...

# 124 sportyguyfl31 @ 02/03/10 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD
I think this is a wait and see type thing.Until live11 marketing kicks in we won't really know what direction there going in.

Personally i'm not going to assume anything anymore...
This.

Althought I will say this: If they go all "free style superstar" on us, and return to the atrocities of NBA Live 06, I will be absolutely livid.

# 125 ataman5 @ 02/03/10 09:26 PM
Having heard from Wang that ea has a new direction on their game pisses me off really, i just wanna believe that he is doing some kind counter-psychology thing for his new company.

I don't wanna ****ing give up on live 11 that easily after what i've seen from live 10, please EA don't be that stupid!

# 126 mvb34 @ 02/03/10 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Court_vision
BiggD...after copping a massive dump on their game like that from Beluba (and, let's be realistic, that was a massive dump from a respected producer)...EA should be coming out and saying "hey, new direction isn't true".

The fact they are so quiet about it / no response + the fact he's not the only one who left the game.....the vibe is definitely that Mike is speaking the truth.
Since when do we get info about the next bball game in February? Beluba was only there at EA for only 18 month how much pull do you think he had...

# 127 23 @ 02/03/10 10:48 PM
Quote:
BiggD...after copping a massive dump on their game like that from Beluba (and, let's be realistic, that was a massive dump from a respected producer)...EA should be coming out and saying "hey, new direction isn't true".

The fact they are so quiet about it / no response + the fact he's not the only one who left the game.....the vibe is definitely that Mike is speaking the truth.
Truthfully they dont have to answer to anything a former employee says

We knew changes were coming when Steph was off the project, but at the same time they still offered no explanation and to us they didnt really have to, and chose not to.

Now the NCAA thing is just wrong, and im glad I didnt waste my money for an update game with no support.

We still need to wait and see whats going to happen with the game before next year, but as of right now its not looking good as far as perspective from the fanbase.

# 128 noshun @ 02/03/10 11:32 PM
Quote:
For those of you who are going on with "hey, he's only one guy"...facts are facts and that is that the two teams before him on LIVE 06 and 07 were sacked
The teams that worked on Live 06/07 werent sacked totally. There are a few guys from those teams that worked on 10. One of them is Matt LaFreniere. Most of them didnt get sacked at all, theyve been on the games since 07.

# 129 BiggD @ 02/03/10 11:34 PM
CV, honestly... i can understand that they should release a statement saying "the statements made are false ad have no substance" but honestly.. the game itself has to do the talking, no more PR schemes(surley EA must know this) . If they fail with live11 its almost certain the LIVE series is done.....right???

# 130 23 @ 02/03/10 11:49 PM
CV , you didnt even believe backflash when he came on and gave his thoughts.

Everyone started yelling damage control. Truth is you really dont believe anything EA says anymore anyhow. That's the point they've gotten to.

Its put up or shut up time... maybe they arent going arcade but as was stated, arent interested in a long term plan rather than doing something different again. I can understand how that can frustrate any employee at a corporation, in a sense this situation has been suffered by many everyday people.

Maybe Mike was told he could carry his 3 year or 5 year plan on in the beginning and that was the final straw in him thinking he could do somethings at EA maybe he couldnt at VC at the time.

Remember guys were in the midst of all the buyout talk of Take Two and such, pre gta IV... I've gone thorugh that, its not fun.

Im not speculating but im saying, whats a response to this going to do? Nothing for anyone.

# 131 Hulkules @ 02/04/10 01:05 AM
Hey guys I contacted Blackflash about Beluba leaving because EA wanted to go a different direction and expressed my concerns about where the game was headed, and that I would like some conformation. This is what he wrote:

"I can assure you that the LIVE team are committed to creating a realistic representation of NBA basketball (of course this being a SIM). While the team will miss Mike, there are a lot of very dedicated dev team members that are working very hard even as I write to you that want to make the best NBA LIVE possible."

He then posted this on the EA forums also to respond to the current situation:

"When I'm able to begin dropping info about the game you will know what I'm talking about. NBA LIVE 11 WILL be a great game to look forward to.
Guy I understand the concern that all of you may have towards next year's title but RELAX. None of you know what's going into next year's title. One thing I can tell all of you for sure is that NBA LIVE 11 is aiming to replicate the NBA experience, which means the game will be a SIM basketball title.

When more info comes my way that I can begin to share with all of you then I will be sure to do it. But I will re-iterate to all of you and I can say this because I work alongside the development team, NBA LIVE 11 will be a SIM basketball game."

I am really hoping they come through with a great game.

# 132 BiggD @ 02/04/10 01:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan Gonzalez
Hey guys I contacted Blackflash about Beluba leaving because EA wanted to go a different direction and expressed my concerns about where the game was headed, and that I would like some conformation. This is what he wrote:

"I can assure you that the LIVE team are committed to creating a realistic representation of NBA basketball (of course this being a SIM). While the team will miss Mike, there are a lot of very dedicated dev team members that are working very hard even as I write to you that want to make the best NBA LIVE possible."

"When I'm able to begin dropping info about the game you will know what I'm talking about. NBA LIVE 11 WILL be a great game to look forward to.
Guy I understand the concern that all of you may have towards next year's title but RELAX. None of you know what's going into next year's title. One thing I can tell all of you for sure is that NBA LIVE 11 is aiming to replicate the NBA experience, which means the game will be a SIM basketball title.

When more info comes my way that I can begin to share with all of you then I will be sure to do it. But I will re-iterate to all of you and I can say this because I work alongside the development team, NBA LIVE 11 will be a SIM basketball game."

So there it is in black and white

# 133 Hulkules @ 02/04/10 02:25 AM
More from Blackflash:

"I can tell you for sure that what they're adding to the game is going to really make things exciting. The game is going to be SIM but wait until we start dropping info about the game. It's going to be an exciting year for NBA LIVE and despite the negative flack facing the game right now, the team have something to prove with LIVE 11 and I can assure you that the game is going to be great."

# 134 noshun @ 02/04/10 02:39 AM
Quote:
More from Blackflash:

"I can tell you for sure that what they're adding to the game is going to really make things exciting. The game is going to be SIM but wait until we start dropping info about the game. It's going to be an exciting year for NBA LIVE and despite the negative flack facing the game right now, the team have something to prove with LIVE 11 and I can assure you that the game is going to be great."

They said this same spew for Live 06...rinse that Live 07... rinse that Live 08... rinse that Live 09... rinse that Live 10.... rinse that now starting for Live 11.
The only thing theyve proven is theyre consistenly inconsistant, and earned consecutive slumping sales 2yrs running.

VVV what 23 said in his comment...

# 135 23 @ 02/04/10 02:45 AM
Quote:
So true man. You got the PR guy saying one thing, PMs saying other things and Beluba coming out in public and dumping all over them. Crazy stuff

Anyway, if they want me buying their game in 11...they can release a patch for NCAA first.
lol , well Live 11 = wait and see, info or not

# 136 Behindshadows @ 02/04/10 04:57 AM
Quote:
Hopefully the guys say "hey, screw you Mike and your 'we can't get it done' insults" and sit there determined to prove him wrong. That interview + all of Rob Jone's quotes should be all the motivation they need.

I like 2K and respect their team...but these games are like boxing, you like to see a rivalry and a bit of bad blood
Why do you assume, they have to take shots at Mike. Why can't they just respect his move and move on to their focus on the game.

These guys are adults, and so far they've been the most professional about the move. They haven't countered any of Mike's comments with insults to him. Instead, BlackFlash came out and even said," he respects Mike and considers him a friend". He didn't want to talk the situation overall.

Even Marcus came in and post his feedback without the negative feedback, nor did he take shots at Mike.

Maybe EA's Live Team is just working on the game and not really sitting around thinking of ways to take shots at Mike or 2ksports.

Why do you continue to think these guys are just negative nannies?

# 137 ataman5 @ 02/04/10 05:09 AM
Quote:

After i've seen imminurbase twit message of his saying lots of gameplay changes, this has definitely no credibility in my eyes.

And i believe what they understand from the term sim is its literal meaning from now on.

I just can't see it through having lots of gameplay changes from live 10 and then having a sim live 11, either my logic is wrong or they must be thinking that we are stupid or what.

# 138 brahmagoul @ 02/04/10 05:22 AM
Is there really a lot they can change in one year, unless it involves a new engine? The more I think about it, the more I think Wang leaving EA helps 2K's game than hurts Live. 2K made its biggest stride with 2K8, then I guess that's when Wang left. One thing Wang said that stuck with me was how Live's engine allows you to do more. That's encouraging because they were on the right track. I seriously doubt EA will get away from that because if it's one thing it has proved with these games, it's that they don't change too drastically.

I don't expect drastic changes because one man came and left. He had a positive impact and probably made a few co-workers better there. I'd expect big changes in gimmicks, not gameplay. That's typically been EA's M.O. across the board.

# 139 sportyguyfl31 @ 02/04/10 07:31 AM
The most distrubing thing for me, is that this confirms what many of us have thought about EA sports games for years.

They either

1) Do not understand what SIM is.

2) They do not believe that SIM can sell.

For now, Im going to assume that they have at least the sense to realize, that NBA Live 2003-2004 era gameplay is over, and that is not going to be acceptable

# 140 ataman5 @ 02/04/10 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguyfl31
The most distrubing thing for me, is that this confirms what many of us have thought about EA sports games for years.

They either

1) Do not understand what SIM is.

2) They do not believe that SIM can sell.

For now, Im going to assume that they have at least the sense to realize, that NBA Live 2003-2004 era gameplay is over, and that is not going to be acceptable
Or we got older and can't accept the way it was.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.