Home
MLB 10 News Post

Playstation.Blog has posted another MLB '10: The Show blog. This one showcasing the cover athlete Joe Mauer, with quite a few nice gameplay clips mixed in.

Quote:
"Ever wonder how the MLB The Show series nails all those in-game animations? It’s because the team in San Diego brings in actual players who show them how it’s done.

This week, Minnesota Twins catcher and AL MVP Joe Mauer was in the motion capture studio to, um, run around in spandex with a glove and bat. The results will be apparent when the game hits early next month."

Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 brrmikey @ 02/05/10 03:22 PM
thanks! it looks great in motion! can't wait!! loving the rtp and the behind the pitcher camera and broadcast camera!!

# 2 Mr. Franchise @ 02/05/10 03:25 PM
FINALLY SOME VIDEO

# 3 Blzer @ 02/05/10 03:28 PM
That behind-the-pitcher camera is sexy!

If it was a female I would have TOS-violating fantasies about it.

EDIT: Oh, and just a note to Russell or someone (and I know the stadiums are locked), but before I saw a screenshot that made me believe the RCF wall says 328 feet instead of what I believe is supposed to say 367 feet. This video confirms that it says 328 still, so if Target Field could be unlocked for just a brief second to change that, we'd be rockin'!

# 4 cardsfan2222 @ 02/05/10 03:37 PM
Did anyone else think Mauer's right wrist shouldn't bend that way on the warm up swings? It looked kind of painful

The only thing I really don't like is the camera switching before the ball hits the bat. Not a big deal, but something I noticed in 09 and hoped they would work on.

# 5 Blzer @ 02/05/10 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2222
Did anyone else think Mauer's right wrist shouldn't bend that way on the warm up swings? It looked kind of painful
It's unfortunately looked like that in all of The Show games since at least 2005. I think it's just the way the player skeleton is and maybe they can't move the proper way. Hopefully new player models in the future will take care of this look.

Quote:
The only thing I really don't like is the camera switching before the ball hits the bat. Not a big deal, but something I noticed in 09 and hoped they would work on.
I always hoped for that slight delay look like on TV, only a little less slightly obviously so we can be able to field the ball coming to us.

# 6 brrmikey @ 02/05/10 03:42 PM
yup, i agree...was hoping for that too. kind of like how the pro y. spirits delay after contact. i could swear there were times in mlb 09 the show where there was a slight delay when i pulled the ball foul of the third base line when batting with a right handed batter...every time i saw that i'd say to myself...man, that would be cool if it was always like that.

# 7 bp4baseball @ 02/05/10 03:44 PM
I can't watch the video on my phone... but I can't wait to go home and watch it after all these great comments

# 8 beau21 @ 02/05/10 03:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2222

Agreed.

Not a big deal by any means but I do agree. If anything, I would like to see a delay in between the contact and the camera change so we could see just a bit of the batter's follow through (see Pro Yakyuu Spirits)

# 9 marinerz @ 02/05/10 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
That behind-the-pitcher camera is sexy!
EDIT: Oh, and just a note to Russell or someone (and I know the stadiums are locked), but before I saw a screenshot that made me believe the RCF wall says 328 feet instead of what I believe is supposed to say 367 feet. This video confirms that it says 328 still, so if Target Field could be unlocked for just a brief second to change that, we'd be rockin'!
I second this!

# 10 Mr. Franchise @ 02/05/10 03:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by metsman8669
Thanks! Looks amazing...just one little thing and maybe it's just me or the video itself.

But doesn't it seem the change in scene (from the batter swinging to RTP) is a hair too quick???

Does anyone else get that feeling when watching it??
Yes.

# 11 idesign2 @ 02/05/10 03:53 PM
Just gotta add my thoughts:

1. Amazing how a subtle tweak to the lighting can make such a big difference. Looks fantastic. Excited to see how it affects progression.
2. Happy to see the crowd looks a little more random. That's one of the very few things that bugged me about 09.
3. New broadcast camera: Are you kidding me?!? Absolutely phenomenal. I can see it will take some time to adjust to fielding near the outfield wall, but once that adjustment is made....wow.

# 12 silver540i @ 02/05/10 04:01 PM
Agree on everything. Looks great in motion. Can't wait to see more HD vids in the next few weeks.

One issue, I wanted to ask Jim or the others who played it if the broadcast cam is basically what was used in this video? I applaud the devs for adding the extra cam we all have been asking for, but is it once again going to be watching the ball shadow primarily, and not seeing the ball (fly balls, not grounders or line drives obviously)?

# 13 Mr. Franchise @ 02/05/10 04:02 PM
Is it possible to patch the camera switching before contact?

# 14 Speedy @ 02/05/10 04:11 PM
The RTP looks fantastic! I may not use fast play this year for a change.

The only concern I have is the little "hitch" where there's a delay from when the player is throwing the ball and the ball actually comes out.

# 15 Splitter77 @ 02/05/10 04:12 PM
looks amazing. dont like how you cant tell where the ball is going off the bat though. It cuts away to the fielding camera way too quick.

# 16 Blzer @ 02/05/10 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldu
wouldn't the cam have to be right behind the ball for this to happen? that's not a broadcast cam. sounds like you want a ball cam.
Yeah, I don't really get what he's asking for. The only way to let this work is if the landing area (and preferably your fielder) can still be in view, and on fly balls at this angle, this can only happen if you zoom out the camera very much, in which case you probably wouldn't be able to see the ball anyway.

But it would be nice if next year they give us a broadcast camera stationed higher up in the stands (very similar to the replay angle they gave us last year and will likely be in this year according to that Yankees CES gameplay video), only again... more focused on the fielder than the ball. Especially when always centered, this would give us a better sense of the field's overall depth and where we're running/how close the ball is to us as a fielder. Not only that, but maybe it would allow for it to track the ball and fielder in a decent manner for those low fly balls (or rising liners, or whatever).

Though they did say it will follow the ball on no-doubter home runs. How that will work out exactly remains to be seen.

# 17 myghty @ 02/05/10 04:27 PM
I think he's asking for Blimp cam.

Anyways, the video looked really good. Very realistic.

# 18 Pared @ 02/05/10 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldu
wouldn't the cam have to be right behind the ball for this to happen? that's not a broadcast cam. sounds like you want a ball cam.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbreaker
it better live up to his claims.
Or else what?

# 19 Flaxseed Oil @ 02/05/10 05:03 PM
In the traditional fielding camera, there is a delay between contact and the switchover to the fielding camera. I dont think there is a delay with any other cameras. It makes it tougher to predict where the ball is going to go, but I'd imagine we'll get used to it.

# 20 Doormat @ 02/05/10 05:18 PM
Wow this is just awesome, I loved the gameplay also. REALISTIC!

« Previous1234Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.