Home
NCAA Basketball 11 News Post

After all the rumors, it has become official.

Source: Gameinformer - EA Sports Confirms NCAA Basketball Benching

Quote:
"Looking over the list of list of Electronic Arts titles planned for release during the next fiscal year, one sports franchise is notably absent. Today EA Sports senior director of communications David Tinson confirmed that NCAA Basketball has fouled out of the lineup. “We do not have an NCAA Basketball game in development at this time, and we’re currently reviewing the future of our NCAA Basketball business," he said. "This was a difficult decision, but we remain a committed partner to the NCAA and its member institutions.”

Tinson also told Game Informer that the move to shut down NCAA will not result in another round of layoffs. Instead, the development team has been integrated into other projects. EA Canada still has two basketball games in development, with NBA Live and the recently announced resurrection of NBA Jam."

NCAA Basketball 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view NCAA Basketball 11 screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: NCAA Basketball 11Hype Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
Member Comments
# 101 whittleboy615 @ 02/12/10 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Maybe the value on the license will drop once EA is done with it???
That's our only hope for a bball gaming future.

# 102 a walrus @ 02/12/10 03:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBH3
I don't think a company will be detered upon realizing the crappy college experience EA put out in comparison to it's 'competition' prior to exclusivity rights. Basically, any company willing to purchase the exclusive rights should also be committed to designing a functional basketball game that does more than JUST represent NCAA college basketball.

2K's College Hoops was a great title, with depth and many facets of the college hoops world at hand. It seems EA thought they could put a lesser product out and monopolize the genre by purchasing the exclusive rights. When actually the consumer spoke here, did not purchase their game, and EA found that college hoops gamers are not like Madden gamers. College Hoops gamers won't just go out and purchase a title because they "NEED" that sport's title; that's evident of the masses who still play 2K8 college hoops.

I think what we have here is a company realizing their failures and trying to cut losses to allocate more resources to say Madden or a 'like' title.

I guess what happens from here? Does the NCAA revoke the exclusive rights from EA, and allow 2K to step in? Surely they want their product represented in the video game community. I think this is the best occurence us gamers could've gotten regarding college hoops video games.
This had to happen.

# 103 Jukeman @ 02/12/10 03:33 PM
OMFG!!!!!!

This could mean.......

NOOOOOOOOOOO

I have a feeling we are headed for this..No way EA is just going to sit on the license and no way The NCAA will let them...

Sad day for us ALL

I can hear Vitale now....

SLAM JAM DUNKAROOOO

Sad this had to happen, March Madness 2000 was a game I played everyday and this was before we got spoiled with all of the "realism" and dynasty mode stuff...Casual gamers basically have the same enjoyment with NCAA 2010 as I had with March Madness 2000, All EA had to do was fix the bugs...I only played the demo but from a casual gamer perspective it was a pretty good game.....Sad this had to happen, EA got full of themselves and the joke is on The NCAA for upping the price but sadly WE fell the pain

# 104 Behindshadows @ 02/12/10 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epiffani
This post is completely ridiculous, and I can't believe people are actually buying and reading into this type of useless rhetoric. It's funny how you ignore the overall overwhelming theme of this thread in favor of calling out "2k fanboys" (by the way, since there are in your words 2k fanboys in this thread, exactly what does that make you with a post like this?); majority of the people in this thread have expressed their disappointment that their won't be an NCAA basketball game being released in 2010, and even if the comments haven't all been positive, or haven't shared the same sentiment, that still doesn't equate to anyone in here being a 2K fanboy.

The fact that there won't be an NCAA basketball game released in 10, is not a good thing for THIS year, but the ramifications of this move is endless. The best case scenario being that the NCAA, and its committees coming to the realization that their asking price for it's license and its likeness is far too high seeing the amount of sales accumulated over the past few years. That way, both EA and 2K can get back into the frey, and start making college basketball games. I will say that this situation in regards to garnering the license doesn't look good for any of the parties involved; 2K sports loses another critically acclaimed series and is reduced to one critically acclaim series (NBA), EA loses a title that's been a staple for over a decade, and NCAA basketball becomes the most notable sport to not have any sort of new representation on a year to year basis. And for that reason, I believe this situation will be resolved one way or another. Its unrealistic to say that there won't ever be another college basketball game ever made because to be frank, there NEEDS to be one (more than one actually).

As for people "bashing" this game, I haven't seen it in this thread, and I'd venture to say that from the threads that I've read in this forum, the criticism has been constructive especially given the circumstances surrounding this game and the series entirely. People that have played this game and have enjoyed doing so have been left to ponder whether they'll be a patch, or rather the series is dead up until now. I haven't had any freezing issues with this game, but put yourself in someone elses shoes that is dealing with this issue (then again if you were having this issue, I'd doubt if you'd let it be known). You now know that there most likely won't be a patch for this game, so now you as a consumer are forced to do exactly what the devs did with this game, and that's abandoned it, regardless if you're enjoying the game.

You're using words like "2k fanboys" and "lamestop", and "bashing" (when the word doesn't applying to this situation), and yet you're calling people "childish"? Hyperbole at its finest.
Glad you read, what you wanted to read and tried to make a longer post!

BTW!!! I'm a 2k fanboy! I really am! Check my history back to 2004! And look at all the wonderful 2k projects I've made and continue to make into 2010.

But I'm also a gamer! I give credit where it's due! This series doesn't deserve to fade off!

And Gamestop is Lame! So they are lamestop, majority of the people in Dallas / FTW area calls them that. Even some of their employees. We laugh about it all the time.

And people are childish, not just this thread. Look at all the other threads that have been created too this announcement. Have you been in the 2k threads. And the 2k forums!

Have a nice day! BTW!!! I'm a 2k fanboy for life! And I'm almost 34! I guess I'm a 2k fan man now!!!

# 105 ehh @ 02/12/10 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Thats because the NCAA up the price on the license, which now results in NO game representing College Basketball...

Maybe the value on the license will drop once EA is done with it???
Yeah that's going to be the real interesting thing to see. Would the CLC rather have no college basketball game than give in and lower the licensing cost?

Personally I think the CLC could care less and we're screwed. I think NCAA '10 is the last college basketball game we're going to see for a long time.

# 106 ehh @ 02/12/10 06:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittleboy615
Go look at some sale numbers from VGChartz.
The craziest thing that people always seem to forget is that March Madness 08 outsold CH2K8 despite the fact that MM08 may be the worst sports game ever made for the current gen of consoles and 2K8 may be the best (though The Show is pulling away these days).

# 107 whittleboy615 @ 02/12/10 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
The craziest thing that people always seem to forget is that March Madness 08 outsold CH2K8 despite the fact that MM08 may be the worst sports game ever made for the current gen of consoles and 2K8 may be the best (though The Show is pulling away these days).
Yeah, but CH 2K8 was ahead for ~45 consecutive weeks. I'm guessing the later increase in MM 08 sales had more to do with greater availability or continued marketing by EA.

# 108 JBH3 @ 02/12/10 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehh
Which is why judging by sales is absolutely stupid since Madden04 was the last "good" Madden game, yet EA has posted record sales on NextGen consoles. Throw logic out the window.

# 109 dabigman9748 @ 02/13/10 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whittleboy615
Yeah, but CH 2K8 was ahead for ~45 consecutive weeks. I'm guessing the later increase in MM 08 sales had more to do with greater availability or continued marketing by EA.
I'm sure 2k made more of a profit because I don't think I ever saw a commercial for 2k8. MM 08 was marketed much more and didn't end up selling too much more. EA has always been known to advertise their games to great lengths and 2k is the complete opposite. If 2k would advertise their games more, they could easily sell more than EA year in and year out.

# 110 kujoking7 @ 02/13/10 01:50 AM
this may mean...THE RETURN OF COLLEGE HOOPS!!!!!

# 111 stoncold32 @ 02/13/10 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSW
this is only my OPINION... but the only true, worth it, next gen, SPORTS game in my eyes is MLB The Show....and MAYBE EA's NHL series...all the other games are just trying to hard to reinvent a wheel that never needed reinventing...only refining.
I think NBA 2k is doing good things...but yeah, you're right, the rest are packing it in.

It's like they(mostly EA) decided to try to use the excuse of "a new system" to try and milk customers for $$$ until they get the games back to where they already were on PS2.

It's biting them in the butt now.

# 112 tfin1212 @ 02/15/10 05:37 PM
Sucks they're canceling it. I LOVE this game...

# 113 jWILL253 @ 02/16/10 10:00 PM
Health Care reform...

Education reform...

Energy reform...

How about Video Game reform? There are a lot of buisness practices that are sending good games like NCAA 10 down the tube. For example:

-Relying on patches to iron out nagging issues that should've been resolved mid-development

-Leaving features/characters/unlockables out of the game on purpose, then charging you to download what they call "DLC".

Absolutely shameful...

# 114 Wjkporter @ 02/17/10 05:38 PM
Oh, Well!!!

# 115 liltez @ 04/08/10 10:55 PM
I THINK CREATORS OF NCAA BASKETBALL SHOULD START UP THE STUDENT ATHLETE MODE LIKE THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL.WOULD MAKE LOTS OF SALES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

# 116 Zasnow @ 04/09/10 01:48 AM
This game would be great if they didnt half do it and be lazy about it. They wonder why sales were as low as they are. On the last gen I could play 05 and 01 and they would be the same.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.