Home
Professional Football Simulator News Post

What began as an effort to create a simple football text sim with an online-play focus is evolving into something bigger. Professional Football Simulator (PFS) lead developer Brooks Piggott recently released a new update to his promising game that enhances the single-player mode and adds other new features. While it is premature to say that PFS will one day overtake Front Office Football as king of American football text sims, PFS definitely has a bright future.

For the uninitiated, FPS is a text sim where players run a football team through single or multiple seasons. Players are in control of team functions such as drafting, free agency and lineups. The game features online multiplayer and single-player modes as well as numerous customization options.

Now, if you have played Front Office Football, you likely already understand what PFS is all about. In a text sim, you do not control the physical action on the field. Instead, you run a team the same way a general manager or coach would, drafting prospects, signing free agents, setting lineups and managing day-to-day team operations. The initial goal of FPS was to make these tasks less daunting to inexperienced text simmers.

Read More - Professional Football Simulator Continues to Grow

Professional Football Simulator screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: Professional Football SimulatorHype Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PCVotes for game: 3 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Tweeg @ 02/10/10 05:44 PM
That 2-D action is going to be awesome. After years of FOF and OOTP Baseball I am going to have to try this out.

# 2 brookspiggott @ 02/10/10 08:03 PM
Thanks for the write up! We've made a lot of progress over the past year and appreciate all of the support!

# 3 hellbent @ 02/10/10 08:35 PM
I'm glad to hear of the development on this. There are far too few text-based football sims out there now, and none of them are really fantastic. FOF is still the deepest, but the play-by-play of Second and Ten is phenomenal. Wolverine Studios is still working on Draft Day Sports: Pro Football also and I hope both that game and Professional Football Simulator see the light of day sometime this year!

# 4 Demonolith @ 02/10/10 08:45 PM
Awesome! I'm a big fan of FOF and am ecstatic to hear about another football sim that's in development. The screenshots look fantastic

# 5 sknsrbck26 @ 02/10/10 09:30 PM
If anyone is interested in joining a league, you can pm me. Brooks has done a great job with this game, and he continues to make our league better with each update.

# 6 DocHolliday @ 02/10/10 10:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookspiggott
Thanks for the write up! We've made a lot of progress over the past year and appreciate all of the support!
Hay Brook, any plans to to make a MAC native version of this game? I have moved to Mac's after being a PC guy for years, and would LOVE to get a game like this on the new Powerbook. FOF 2007 was an amazing game, and this looks like it could be even better.

Best of luck.

# 7 LingeringRegime @ 02/10/10 11:37 PM
Mac? Mac? Mac? Of course not.

# 8 brookspiggott @ 02/10/10 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Hay Brook, any plans to to make a MAC native version of this game? I have moved to Mac's after being a PC guy for years, and would LOVE to get a game like this on the new Powerbook. FOF 2007 was an amazing game, and this looks like it could be even better.

Best of luck.
I made some progress on a Mac/Linux version of the game but ran into some issues with compatibility. For now most folks are using Basecamp or VMWare to run the game on their Macs. I'd love to do a native version, but until some those issues are cleared up I've had to postpone it.

# 9 McLite @ 02/10/10 11:47 PM
Another text sim football game and I'm on board...currently in the NFL Sim league. Brooks is amazing when it comes to requests and implementing them in a timely manner.

# 10 ridemooses @ 02/11/10 12:08 PM
Think I'm gonna have to try this out. Thanks for the post.

# 11 brookspiggott @ 02/17/10 11:30 AM
So far we've had great responses to this article. We have many more users with some great ideas, and several of our online leagues are filling up quickly. Thanks OS!

# 12 cancertoast @ 02/21/10 12:11 PM
Quickhit football? Or is this more in depth at the moment.

# 13 statnut @ 02/21/10 10:11 PM
I'll have to check this out.

# 14 KBLover @ 03/02/10 04:29 AM
I have a feeling this will be the kind of game I'll be playing for football. Guess I'm tired of console football games.

# 15 bluewave @ 03/06/10 05:14 PM
Good article, I'm going to have to look into this.

# 16 brookspiggott @ 03/06/10 08:10 PM
Just released a new version today (March 6th) that adds offensive playbooks to the game. So now the new playcalling system is complete. There have also been tons of updates to various parts of the game to make it easier to use and more informative for players. Many screens were updated and several aspects of the CPU AI were improved. We're really adding a lot of good things to the game, many of them directly the result of user feedback. Thanks!!

# 17 Petocrew @ 03/13/10 04:20 PM
Brooks,

Are you working on any type of AI trading system? I would love to create my own league with friends, but need trading.

Thanks.

# 18 reo @ 03/13/10 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brookspiggott
Just released a new version today (March 6th) that adds offensive playbooks to the game. So now the new playcalling system is complete. There have also been tons of updates to various parts of the game to make it easier to use and more informative for players. Many screens were updated and several aspects of the CPU AI were improved. We're really adding a lot of good things to the game, many of them directly the result of user feedback. Thanks!!
Nice.

# 19 brookspiggott @ 03/13/10 07:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petocrew
Brooks,

Are you working on any type of AI trading system? I would love to create my own league with friends, but need trading.

Thanks.
Yea, it's on the list.

# 20 brookspiggott @ 10/03/10 12:44 PM
We've had several releases in the past 6 months. Many new league formats are now available for even greater customization. And some 2010-2011 roster sets based on NFL players have been created so you can use them in your sims.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.