Athletics---23rd, 17th, 8th, 30th
Tigers-----24th, 14th, 14th, 29th
Padres-----25th, 30th, 18th, 26th
Marlins----26th, 29th, 30th, 21st
Royals-----27th, 15th, 20th, 27th
Nationals--28th, 18th, 26th, 23rd
Pirates----29th, 20th, 27th, 25th
Indians----30th, 25th, 28th, 28th

These are some of my favorite threads every year because we all get to debate on why so and so is rated this and that. It's all arbitrary and opinions when you think about it though (which is why I enjoy these threads so much), but for the sake of understanding I'm game lets dig a little deeper.

The Cardinals batting being ranked 20th in the game, but before I talk about their rating let me shed some light on how the game determines this.

1. It's an avg. of your starters and your bench and that's for your starting pitching and lineup. Kolbe gave me a number around 60% to 40% with your starters making up 60% of that rating.

2. Player ratings are not done by human hands its all done by a program that looks at the players past three years with the most recent year weighing in the highest.

Now that we have that out the way back to the Cardinals and this 20th batting ranking which made me scratch my head a little when I first saw it. As most of you and I'm guilty of this myself I think Pujols and Holliday that has to at least make them better than 20th. Not so fast

The Mets are ranked 15th a good 5 spots ahead of them I've uploaded some images to help make this easier.

Image #1

Image #2

If you notice the Cardinals bench is relatively weak compared to the Mets. This is a very important factor in the Cardinals current 20th batting rating. For the sake of science I swaped F.Tatis for S.Robinson on these two teams and their batting rankings changed. This one player swap propelled the Cardinals to 13th overall in batting and dropped the Mets to 21st in batting. What you have to remember is your starting lineup is only half of the story (about 60% give or take) you have to take into consideration your bench and your bullpen for pitching. Hope this helps.

Discuss.

MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view MLB '10: The Show screenshot gallery - Click to view
Game: MLB '10: The ShowReader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 66 - View All
MLB '10: The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 141 ParisB @ 02/18/10 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by silencio
Shields is not the best set up man.. typical Angels fan btw.. Dodgers have the one of the top 2 bullpens, and the Angels lost their best starter.. Rotations are close but LA's bullpen is above and beyond the Helos.. Ratings are perfect..
lol

is this a serious post?

# 142 douggoud @ 02/18/10 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisB
lol

is this a serious post?
i know, right?

# 143 douggoud @ 02/18/10 11:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdurg
I like these rankings and especially the way they are figured out. Of course, the things that really play into how good a team is just can't be figured out on paper, hence why they play the game. Pitchers and catchers reported today, so spring training has begun.

of course you do, your team is ranked #1 (like it is every year....)

# 144 SwinginAs12 @ 02/18/10 11:08 PM
23rd woooooooot

# 145 BatsareBugs @ 02/18/10 11:27 PM
I think these ratings are fair, of course they're a comparison of one team to the rest of the league.

The Padres defense at 30, a little lower than I expected, but understandable when you have Matt Stairs on the bench and players who are definitely question marks at certain positions (Headley going back to third, Blanks in LF, Gwynn, Eckstein, E-Cab).

It's funny, goes to show that even having a gold glove first basemen, you can still find yourself in the bottom of league in terms of ratings if the other guys are chopped liver.

# 146 BatsareBugs @ 02/18/10 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLNYankee
EFA. CC, AJ, Andy Pettitte, Javier Vazquez, Joba, Hughes, Rivera, Marte and Aceves say hello.

Too many cry babies and bias in this thread. Cardinals are ranked low because even though the top is great they have zero depth. They also play in the worst division in baseball.
His post included that he'd take the White Sox rotation over any team except the Red Sox and Yankees, so there is no need for the Yankees rotation to say hello to him when he's already acknowledged that fact.

Edit: Here is an example of jumping the gun and not reading all the posts!

# 147 B_rad13 @ 02/18/10 11:42 PM
Seriously the Blow Jays are ranked 15? And the of course the marlins should be higher.

# 148 Super Glock @ 02/18/10 11:45 PM
Ouch its not looking very pretty for the Indians, I guess it will provide a good challenge for me, lol.

# 149 Greene_Flash03 @ 02/18/10 11:45 PM
Padres rankings is spot on! Thanks Russell!

# 150 Focused One @ 02/18/10 11:49 PM
The Giants rank 13th in Pitching... WoW...

I know it's an average, but we arguably have the best starting rotation in baseball, and the fact that we won 88 games last year off of almost pure pitching/ no hitting should have translated to a better pitching rating...

Can't wait for roster updates after the rotation starts dominating this year...

# 151 BatsareBugs @ 02/18/10 11:51 PM
Quote:
No, I put the Yankees into his original thread when I quoted it. That is why I put EFA edited for accuracy.
You're right. I thought it was part of his original post. My bad.

# 152 ParisB @ 02/18/10 11:55 PM
Quote:
EFA. CC, AJ, Andy Pettitte, Javier Vazquez, Joba, Hughes, Rivera, Marte and Aceves say hello.

For those crying about the Marlins. Marlins had 4 starters last year with an era close to 5 or higher. The closer had an era of 4. That isn't very good pitching in the NL East. That is the only explanation I can think of.

Too many cry babies and bias in this thread. Cardinals are ranked low because even though the top is great they have zero depth. They also play in the worst division in baseball.
White Sox have better starting pitching

# 153 soxnut1018 @ 02/18/10 11:58 PM
Quote:
CC = Peavy, AJ > Buehrle, Pettitte < Floyd, Vazquez < Danks, Rivera > Jenks, Hughes < Thorton, Joba > Putz, Aceves > Pena, Marte = Linebrink. Again, this is entirely my opinion, but I'll take the Sox staff, but it's extremely close. The Yankees definitely have the better offense and defense, however.

# 154 Super Glock @ 02/19/10 12:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focused One
The Giants rank 13th in Pitching... WoW...

I know it's an average, but we arguably have the best starting rotation in baseball, and the fact that we won 88 games last year off of almost pure pitching/ no hitting should have translated to a better pitching rating...

Can't wait for roster updates after the rotation starts dominating this year...
I would have to agree with you on this one.

# 155 Ronstr @ 02/19/10 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstikealot
The M's have probably the best 1,2 punch in baseball and their ranked 19th in pitching? LOL
Bullpen and 3,4,5?

# 156 CommunityCollege @ 02/19/10 12:08 AM
upset that the portraits weren't updated this year...

# 157 ParisB @ 02/19/10 12:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirstikealot
The M's have probably the best 1,2 punch in baseball and their ranked 19th in pitching? LOL
ok so that's 2 players on a 25 man roster, lol

# 158 Rob_NYY @ 02/19/10 12:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunityCollege
upset that the portraits weren't updated this year...
I'm sure ones that need to be updated will be updated.

# 159 BatsareBugs @ 02/19/10 12:21 AM
Some people really need to consider the 11-13 pitchers that are most likely going to be on the 25-man roster when this game comes out and the 12-14 position players on the roster as well.

Think about what their expected overalls are going to be... example:

Starting
C Nick Hundley OVR: C, OFF: C-, DEF: C-
1B Adrian Gonzalez OVR: A, OFF: A, DEF: A
2B David Eckstein OVR: C+, OFF: C, DEF: C
3B Chase Headley OVR: B, OFF: B-, DEF: C+
SS Everth Cabrera OVR: B, OFF: C+, DEF: B-
LF Kyle Blanks OVR: B, OFF: B, DEF: C
CF Tony Gwynn OVR: C+, OFF: C, DEF: C+
RF Will Venable OVR: B, OFF: B, DEF: C+

Bench
C Yorvit Torrealba OVR: C, OFF: C+, DEF: C-
UT Jerry Hairston Jr.: OVR: C+, OFF: C+, DEF: C
UT Oscar Salazar OVR: C, OFF: B, DEF: D+
OF Scott Hairston OVR: C+, OFF: B-, DEF: C
OF Matt Stairs OVR: C, OFF: B-, DEF: D+

Obviously the Padres only have one superstar, a bunch of decent-good players in the starting lineup, a decent bench, but if you think of it, they have two anchors offensively (Gwynn and Eckstein) weighing the team down on offense and an anchor on defense (Stairs), plus some guys who aren't great defensively either.

Rotation:
Chris Young OVR: B+
Kevin Correia OVR: B
Jon Garland OVR: B+
Clayton Richard OVR: B-
Mat Latos OVR: C+

Bullpen:
Heath Bell OVR: A
Mike Adams OVR: A-
Luke Gregerson OVR: B+
Edward Mujica OVR: B
Sean Gallagher OVR: B-
Luis Perdomo OVR: C+
Tim Stauffer OVR: C+

Again, no front-line starter for this team to bring it up in pitching, but the pitching as whole is filled with solid guys with really one true crappy pitcher in Stauffer. Perdomo and Latos are unproven, and thus should be the lowest rated players, but the rest of the relievers with the exception of Gallagher (who is expected to make the team regardless) have proven themselves last season. CY should still be rated high, but no longer an A caliber pitcher. Easily based on my expectation of the ratings for the whole pitching staff, I can see why the Padres have a bottom-third ranking out of all 30-teams, but how they are still good enough to not be the worst rated staff in the league.

Of course there are variation within grade groups for overalls, but one or two A or C-, D+ players can really bring up a hamper a team in the ratings. Remember, while the range between the highest ranked team and the lowest ranked team is significant, the rating to the next closest team(s) is very close.

# 160 BatsareBugs @ 02/19/10 12:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
It is also based off of 3 years too and having Jake and Hoff would help those numbers some.
Doubt it, they would be helping their new teams since their ratings went with them.

I know team ratings only include the current players on the 25-man roster given how many different team rankings I kept getting with each fantasy draft in franchise mode.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.