Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

Jon Robinson, over at ESPN Videogames, sat down with Producers Ben Haumiller and Russ Kiniry, as they break down nine changes being made to NCAA Football 11. They have also posted the very first screenshot from the game.

Quote:
"Numbers on helmets might seem inconsequential to some gamers, but if you're an Alabama fan, the fact that the video game recreation of your school doesn't accurately represent the uniform details you cheer so hard for on a weekly basis has been driving you message board mad & as in, leaving threats of "I'll never play the game again," on any sports gaming board you could find in hopes someone at EA will finally hear your cries.

Cry no more.

"Alabama fans, we hear you," says "NCAA Football 11" producer Ben Haumiller. "This game's for you."

That's right, not only will "NCAA Football 11" finally feature Alabama's famed look that includes numbers on helmets, but now when gamers create their own schools using the wildly popular "Team Builder" (over 500,000 teams were created last year), they can put numbers on the sides of their helmets then watch as they actually appear in-game.

But that's not all the "NCAA Football 11" creative crew has in store for this year's game."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 121 BROman @ 02/27/10 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake62505
Oh yea ^^^^ it is nothing more than a screen shot of madden 10 with ncaa teams.
hell, if the game is madden 10 w/ ncaa teams, i'm cool w/ that.

# 122 tmac55 @ 02/27/10 10:22 AM
They should take the overlays from NCAA basketball and implement them in the game for ESPN and CBS.

Now that would impress me.

# 123 davep @ 02/27/10 10:26 AM
I know it's early and I know they're just trying to get the hype machine rolling..but for me personally, that list does absolutely nothing for me. After last year's debacle of a game they've gotta have a lot more up their sleeve than green cleats.

I'm still not convinced they 'get it'.

# 124 BigDuke @ 02/27/10 10:37 AM
I share the sentiment of many others who have posted. While I like the additions, the NCAA team still has a long way to go to impress me with this year's game. Other then Formation Subs, nothing else (that really matters to me) is new from what we've already seen in Madden 10.

# 125 The Gunslinger @ 02/27/10 10:41 AM
I like the conference logo switch and the auto load roster. However, I have two questions:

For conference logo switch: This maybe a little nitpicking, but the ACC and SEC Championship have wall banners displaying their respective teams. If, per se, Miami and South Carolina switched conferences, would the Miami logo appear on the SEC banner as well as the South Carolina logo appearing on the ACC banner?

For auto load roster: Does this mean that you guys fixed the problem in Road to Glory in which a user could only play with generic rosters?

Thanks

# 126 tyler289 @ 02/27/10 10:57 AM
Did people really think we'd hear about the huge features for this year's game in this article? These are all (hopefully) minor additions/things that are finally added.

# 127 Watson @ 02/27/10 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
Did people really think we'd hear about the huge features for this year's game in this article? These are all (hopefully) minor additions/things that are finally added.
EXACTLY.

For big features they either:

1) Tell us a month and a half in advance

2) What they did with Teambuilder, when it "accidentally" slipped out about 2 months prior

people need to chill. It's February. They haven't even started the blogs yet.

# 128 ab2c4 @ 02/27/10 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclentzthadon
All that stuff is cosmetics IMHO but the gang tackling is a great thing. Loved hearing that.

I'm excited about that update but the real throw down is gonna be on gameplay. If it's still in fast forward with zero momentum or physics then it's still all window dressing.

It will look great. The old saying... looks like tarzan plays like jane.

Here is to hoping they get the gameplay fixed up. Overall, very encouraging. I'll be following and this sounds promising.
This is overall how I feel for the most part. I have to say up front that I realize this is an early update on the game and it isn't the final list, but I am greatly concerned to be honest. Once again I am worried that EA isn't listening to us and what we want and instead putting in stuff that doesn't effect the overall gameplay.

Too much of what was listed is nothing more than fluff really. Where are all the gameplay fixes that so many of us have been begging for? Will the robo qb finally be fixed? Will the Run Blocking sliders no longer have a huge impact on kick returns? Will the defensive pass coverage finally be fixed? Are we finally going to get a sim football game or another arcade football game? Will the cpu players react more life like and the overall AI be improved? Will the cpu play calling and execution be improved? All of these things (and others) have a huge impact on single player Dynasty and sadly I don't see any mention of it.

Only time will tell and all we can do is wait and see. Hopefully EA is working hard on the core gameplay and for whatever reason simply forgot to mention the important fixes and changes/improvements.

It concerns me that too many people are giving EA a lot of praise for this list of fluff because it is sending EA the wrong message IMO.

# 129 Tengo Juego @ 02/27/10 11:21 AM
I keep staring at the shot and noticing that some things just dont look right. Its like back before Madden came out, and a member here on OS was modifying screen shots of player models and equipment to what they should look like. Especially the sleeves on the SC player, the sock on his right foot, the Nike logo on the Clemson player's shoe, and the forearm and calf bands.

Anyone else notice this? I hope it's just me staring at it for too long, or still unfinished. But I cant help but think these are doctored.

# 130 Rocky @ 02/27/10 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro1
no lol @ you.

gang tackles colored cleats, hand warmers, dynamic logos, ankle braces, different quarter sleeves, the ability to wear one sleeve ref collision detection. It's one thing to say nothing impressed you in the article I understand Rocky. If I wasn't an equipment freak the info might not be as awesome, but your last comment was ignorant to say the least.
All of the bolded was last gen NCAA. The rest didn't exist yet or wasn't a feature in the game.

To get worked up about things that were already in the series is funny man.

# 131 capn_razzamataz @ 02/27/10 12:01 PM
Welp it looks great, but when hasn't the first look been mindblowing? I'll hold off any and all excitement until release.

# 132 Gossennator @ 02/27/10 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
I know..I think as far as minor additions they are on the right track. I'm more worried about the big features later down the road.

# 133 SageInfinite @ 02/27/10 12:07 PM
The key thing for me is the movement. This screen shot looks really good(who knows if it's altered), but it means nothing if the movement doesn't look more realistic.

I truly hope The NCAA team(and Madden team), really improved the movement and animations. It's been killing these games since they arrived on this gen. 2nd is the AI. Everything needs to be improved. 3rd is the atmosphere and presentation(which again I think will be terrible, this is EA after all). I hope they seriously improved in all these areas. If not, they could add all the features in the world. It means nothing when you step on the field imo.

I'm an equipment guy/details guy and I love the editions they've made, but at this stage in this gen this stuff could've been all added in 1-2 years, because they didn't improve the game enough in other areas(imo) to justify not having it in.

# 134 Tengo Juego @ 02/27/10 12:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
All of the bolded was last gen NCAA. The rest didn't exist yet or wasn't a feature in the game.

To get worked up about things that were already in the series is funny man.
None of those bold items were in last gen. And there were only 2 man gang tackles IIRC.

# 135 drowsike @ 02/27/10 12:33 PM
Yall keep saying we already had this features before it never should have left..the developers had to start over with the new gen games that's just what it is. They have to figure out how to implentment this stuff with the framerate. They are finally figuring it out. as far as I'm concerned if u playing next gen..its new.

# 136 BurghFan @ 02/27/10 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatsonTiger
EXACTLY.

For big features they either:

1) Tell us a month and a half in advance

2) What they did with Teambuilder, when it "accidentally" slipped out about 2 months prior

people need to chill. It's February. They haven't even started the blogs yet.
+1. We've still got about 4 1/2 months before the game hits shelves. Like someone else said, they're just throwing a few things out their to get the Hype rolling.

Nice to see they're finally adding features that have been in the last gen versions forever though I echo other peoples sentiments as to why they weren't in the next-gen versions to begin with.

# 137 jsquigg @ 02/27/10 01:52 PM
I think the dev team should have been changed after last year. They're finally adding features that, frankly, should have been in the first next-gen NCAA, so excuse me if I'm not spraying soda onto my keyboard out of excitement.
Blocking schemes and line interaction need to be fixed so we can run a true option. Presentation needs to AT LEAST get to last gen standards. Physics in the game need a face lift IMO. Dynasty needs a new approach (who wouldn't love to see a 2k style coaching carousel ala College Hoops?). Atmosphere needs an overhaul and was also better last gen.
To be honest, I know being an EA dev is tough, but when there are people who can mod things to fix simple problems that take half a decade to even be addressed I can't help but think changes need to be made at a development level.
Most modders do what they do on their own time as well. NCAA 10 was a half-assed effort IMO, and other than recruiting the dynasty mode has remained the same from last gen fundamentally.
I hope this year is different, but with Ben and Russ still running the show I don't have high hopes.

# 138 Solidice @ 02/27/10 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsquigg
I hope this year is different, but with Ben and Russ still running the show I don't have high hopes.
neither one of them are "running the show". neither one of them is the lead developer and/or producer, unless something has changed from last year.

# 139 Crimsontide27 @ 02/27/10 02:02 PM
I see nothing here that excites me at all. Everything mentioned so far is nothing more than equipment addition that ...while excited as some are now...will do nothing more than complain when #76 of some random school in some no name conference has no ankle bracer.

As far as formation subs go...every person online will now complain because so and so put their 99 speed WR as a half back and can out run the entire defense due to horrific blocking and terrible pursuit angles.

Judging from reading all the posts so far, only one thing remains clear. I am no longer the target market for sports games. Even though we have had the exact same commentary for almost a decade, despite the only rating that ever matters is speed, regardless if the blocking logic is the worst ever seen, no matter that the AI logic is inferior to Super play action football.....as long as people get Under Armor tshirts and new colored cleats, everything is great.

I will wait until we start seeing some more info before thinking this is the greatest thing ever....like proclaimed every year.

# 140 greenegt @ 02/27/10 02:08 PM
Improvements are improvements, so I'm glad the stuff listed is going to be in the game. I'm definitely not "sold" for this year, though. I'm reserving judgment until we get some gameplay vids.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.