Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Madden NFL 11 fans should expect to purchase digital content this season, according to this write up from IGN.

Quote:
""I think we need to move much quicker, in particular with Madden, through a digital world," Moore stated. "You're going to see more announcements there how we digitize our Madden consumer.

It keeps the disc in the drive longer, it stalls trading the game in, it allows me to be able to take further advantage of that consumer over a longer period of time," he said. "Even if we do get second sales, we see that as an opportunity to drive digital margins."

"Sports games, because their seasonality runs out, are always something tempting to trade in. We've got to be able to build business models around allowing that consumer to trade it in and then monetize them," he added

"We're certainly going to do a lot of that this year."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 BezO @ 03/02/10 03:00 PM
LOL!

Madden hasn't gotten money from me since this generation of systems hit. I might keep that going just off principle. These dudes...

# 62 ryan36 @ 03/02/10 03:04 PM
I'm completely ok with this.

Maybe it's just me?

When we stop buying it, they'll worry more about it.

We generally like it. And no, don't start with "it's the only game out there." If it sucks, don't buy it.

Because if I'm on an island with a 400 lb. chick and we're the last two people on the face of the earth...and even though nobody would know what I did... hello extinction.

" Madden 11...the 400 lb chick."

# 63 splff3000 @ 03/02/10 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
It means they eventually want to make you download the game to your system for 59.99. That way you can't trade it in on them.
I don't think we'll have a completely downloaded Madden this gen, maybe next get, but not this gen. Remember there are a lot of 360s out there without a hard drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperWork
He didn't say anything people haven't been speculating about that company for the better part of the last decade. I think you're putting too much weight on semantics, and might be taking that comment out of context. Many of the moves EA makes drives home Moore's "taking advantage of consumers" point w/o him actually needing to say anything.
Yes, it's one thing to speculate. It's another to have the person say it. Example, when there were rumors and speculation that Tiger was cheating, it got some news, but it wasn't all over the place. When he admitted it, that's when everything blew up. There's a difference. We can sit here all day and say that the Madden devs don't work hard on the game because they have the exclusive license and it won't really mean anything to most, but if Ian came out and said "hey guys we're not working too hard on the game this year because we got the exclusive license" This place would be in an uproar. There's a difference there.

Note: I do not believe that the devs do not work hard on the game. I was just using that as an example.

# 64 splff3000 @ 03/02/10 03:18 PM
EDIT: Nevermind

# 65 PGaither84 @ 03/02/10 03:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
You guys will be in line for Madden 11...Mark my words lol.
I can only speak for myself here, but I have only been at the midnight release twice. Once for 07 and once for M10. I got 07 for the original XBox because I liked 06 so much for it as well. 07 is still my favorite Madden.

Regarding Madden 11. I not only won't be there at midnight, I don't think I will even be buying the game. I wil rent it eventually and read reviews and play it a lot when I rent it, but unless it blows me away, I won't be making a purchase. Other games will keep me happy. I'm enjoying RPGs more now-a-days anyway.

# 66 tktnuri @ 03/02/10 05:19 PM
And I thought this was an article on Face in the Game for Madden 11.

Can my created player look like me already?

# 67 ChampN252 @ 03/02/10 05:39 PM
C'mon guys, they ain't giving a crap about what the posters at OS think. You guys have less impact than you're thinking. You guys probably represent a fraction of the total gamers. The average gamer is most likely gonna buy these downloads. If the average gamers buys downloadable content in games like Fallout 3, Bioshock 2, or Mass Effect 2, why not Madden. They want a dip in the money well also. I'm done with Madden and on the BB bandwagon. I'm not saying BB is gonna be better, be its a change and change is good.

# 68 kjcheezhead @ 03/02/10 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseySuave4
That would suck for people who take the game over to a friend's house and play it, or to a friend living down the hall to play it. And what would that do in terms of system requirements. I'd think that would take up a lot of space on the hard drives.

Either way, i'm against this option
Yep it would suck all right, but it's all about stopping Gamestop from selling the trade ins. With Madden it works perfect for EA, it's the only NFL title so forcing people to download it would mean everyone would have to purchase the game for their system to play. No renting, no buying used, and no borrowing your friends. I mean why not? EA has already seen people will bitch and moan to eternity but still show up to buy in August every year. At least he is honest, he simply wants to take further advantage of us consumers but not letting us trade a garbage game in.

# 69 Valdarez @ 03/02/10 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampN252
C'mon guys, they ain't giving a crap about what the posters at OS think. You guys have less impact than you're thinking. You guys probably represent a fraction of the total gamers. The average gamer is most likely gonna buy these downloads. If the average gamers buys downloadable content in games like Fallout 3, Bioshock 2, or Mass Effect 2, why not Madden. They want a dip in the money well also. I'm done with Madden and on the BB bandwagon. I'm not saying BB is gonna be better, be its a change and change is good.
They should. I know that I impact a good 40 to 50 people a year when it comes to EA's image, and with regards to their buying decision of Madden. That's just family, friends, and coworkers, and not counting the web. Word of mouth is the best, or in this case worst, marketing. We are the consumers that talk with our family's, friends, coworkers about the game. We are the consumers who directly impact EA's bottom line based on our purchases as well as those we encourage/discourage to purchase.

# 70 CM Hooe @ 03/02/10 06:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
It means they eventually want to make you download the game to your system for 59.99. That way you can't trade it in on them.
It's not the people trading the game in that hurts EA (and every video game publisher), it's the used game sales that is hurting the industry. Gamestop makes billions off of used game sales, and video game publishers want their cut they feel they rightly deserve.

As someone who will be interning at a video game developer this summer (and hopefully having a job at one thereafter), I fully understand the move. Blame EA all you want, but this is the direction the entire industry is headed.

# 71 KBLover @ 03/02/10 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by splff3000
I definitely don't think they would charge for roster updates.
I don't know. Someone mentioned in that "are games too expensive" poll thread about how they could have a subscription for roster updates, almost in the line where some AV programs charge for subscriptions so you can get up to date virus database upgrades.

Quote:
The whole purpose was to keep people from trading games in. If people couldn't get their roster updates, the game would become pretty much useless halfway through the season when the surprise teams were showing up. It would really suck if the Raiders had a 10-0 record in real life , but you had to play with the default rosters that shipped with the game.
LOL - I'd love that if the Raiders were 10-0, that might be one update I'd pay for!

But, the game being useless could make people dump it, but it could also be motive for people to get those updates, and if the game goes to a Steam-esque style of being bought, you can't trade it in no matter what.

Quote:
Without a doubt, I'd trade it in( I never buy DLC for ANY game). I'm sure many others would do the same. In turn, it would defeat the purpose of trying to get people to pay for it, because people would trade in the game because of it.
Right, which is probably why it would coincide with the game being a paid download. Can't trade in a bunch of files on your HD or Memory Stick.

Quote:
SO, I think the core game will still be there. I just think there will be more DLC nonsense. I didn't have a problem with that part of the comment. The problem I had with the comments had to do with the "taking advantage of" part.

Ah, but what is the "core game"? And then, to take it further, what is the "core" of franchise mode? Draft, 16-games, Playoffs, Super Bowl?

Nothing can stop them from making multiple progression during the season an "accelerator" you have to pay for. Or releasing a "Training Camp Pack" like they did with the AFL stuff.

For now it's just "extras" like unis or stadiums and pure cheat-type things. However, it could always expand - which is why EA's answer of what the "core game" or "core franchise" is becomes important, imo.

I mean, the AFL 50th anniversary stuff should have been in, I mean it was a part of the NFL this year and anyone who can type "AFL start year" in google and do subtraction can figure out this past season was the 50th season it started - and we had to pay for it...

# 72 ChampN252 @ 03/02/10 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq
It's not the people trading the game in that hurts EA (and every video game publisher), it's the used game sales that is hurting the industry. Gamestop makes billions off of used game sales, and video game publishers want their cut they feel they rightly deserve.

As someone who will be interning at a video game developer this summer (and hopefully having a job at one thereafter), I fully understand the move. Blame EA all you want, but this is the direction the entire industry is headed.
It is truly ridiculous when you you buy a game for $65 and trade it in the next day for $30. Then they relabel it at $55 and it usually stays there until the next version is released no matter how low the trade in value gets.

# 73 kjcheezhead @ 03/02/10 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krioniq

I understand that is the direction and I understand and respect that. A game like God of War or Dantes Inferno has little replay value once you finish the mission, so the consumers can buy, finish their game and trade it in within a week really, and game developers get hurt badly by used game sales.

This article however, is talking specifically of sports games. Games with yearly cycles (less time and money spent) that have value for the entire sports season, and for many, the whole year if the game is good. In my opinion, with sports games it has more to do with game quality as far as why it's traded in when it still has value to Gamestop.

# 74 CreatineKasey @ 03/02/10 11:15 PM
Wow! I"m really surprised at this hostile response from OSers! I know exactly where you guys are coming from though. I don't agree with the downloadable stuff at all unless they lower game prices. This is coming from someone that doesn't trade games. Instead, I buy 3 per year... at most. It's too bad. I'd like to try new games but like you guys point out the cost is unjustifiable.

The further exploit comment is a big misstep by them. There's no way to make that look good in my opinion.

As always, I'm on a wait and see approach. Of course the release of other football games may lessen the pull M10 has on me... both Tecmo and BB.

# 75 raz77 @ 03/03/10 01:51 AM
EA has to be careful here.

Backbreaker has a lot to prove, but if it delivers it has the ability to eventually do to Madden what Skate did to the Tony Hawk series, what Call of Duty did to Medal of Honor, etc,etc. It just has that "Wow" factor when you first see it that Madden hasn't had in years.

Nothing is certain, but these kind of statements by Moore aren't exactly tipping the odds in EA's favor.

# 76 Vikes1 @ 03/03/10 03:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
They should. I know that I impact a good 40 to 50 people a year when it comes to EA's image, and with regards to their buying decision of Madden. That's just family, friends, and coworkers, and not counting the web.
I agree Val.

I'm thinking more in terms of the power/influence of the internet.

To underestimate the power/influence of the internet, sure seems to me...to be a mistake. I mean...just 20 years ago, people between the ages of 12-35, we're nearly all sitting in front of their tv's. Now...countless numbers of those people are doing what we're doing at this moment...on the Web.

Of course it's just my opinion...but I've always believed internet boards like OS, and however many others like it...and the Web in general, has more influence in the gaming world, than maybe many realize. I think just the fact that EA reps were/are on internet boards, speaks volumes of how important it is. If our numbers were truly as small and insignificant as some think...those reps would never had bothered to come here...imo.

# 77 rootofalleli @ 03/03/10 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Of course it's just my opinion...but I've always believed internet boards like OS, and however many others like it...and the Web in general, has more influence in the gaming world, than maybe many realize. I think just the fact that EA reps were/are on internet boards, speaks volumes of how important it is. If our numbers were truly as small and insignificant as some think...those reps would never had bothered to come here...imo.
As a longtime lurker, I think this board does a good job of staying objective. The mods don't put up with trolling, and the constant rage that characterizes the EA forums doesn't happen here. If people here are offended or losing faith, EA needs to work on its PR a bit.

I've bought Madden almost every year of the last decade, and I played it a lot before that in college, bumming off friends. I could accept some of the technical limitations of the N64 and the Playstation. Two generations later, we're just not seeing the same innovation that other sports franchises are.

At this point I pretty much just play a lot of WoW. It gets frequent, high-quality updates. Game mechanics (i.e. what the numbers mean) can be found all over the web. The developers are reasonable and accessible- they give trolls a smack-down and actually answer questions from the players.

If Madden adopted an MMO style payment plan (probably not for the same cost as WoW though), it could be successful *if the quality was there*. If Madden continues to rely on yearly updates and tries to make up for its faults with DLC content, I only see nostalgia as a motivation to keep buying. Gamers have a lot of sophisticated options in front of them, so delivering a game that is only a marginal upgrade isn't going to fly. A sequel can't be "just a little better" anymore.

# 78 djordan @ 03/03/10 08:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperWork
I never understood the argument that the Devs don't work hard on the game. That never made sense to me.

Most coders with enough responsibility to have an impact on the way a blockbuster title is coded are pretty accomplished. The mere fact that they hold those positions are a testament to their work ethic.

I don't think the Devs ever sit back and say "hey lets be lazy we have the license hahaha"

It's more technical than that.

If EA is spending $350M per year on an exclusive license, and another $150M per year on expensive prime time TV ads, it simply doesn't leave a lot of budget left for actual hands on coding/developing.

The devs aren't responsible for a middling development budget.

Anyway that was a bit off point, but as a long time lurker here, it bothers me when people think the Devs are sitting around "being lazy" because "they" have the license.
Co-Sign! I feel the same way.

# 79 SteelerSpartan @ 03/03/10 08:42 AM
yep if theres one thing that will kill gaming for me its the abuse of "DLC"

Whats next ea....an extra subscription for online play......Practice Mode activation codes???????

people need to close their wallets to the fluff they put up on Milk-It-Place

# 80 ComfortablyLomb @ 03/03/10 10:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Amen. It's not lack of 'digital content' that causes gamers to trade in the game. It's the quality. Quality games stay in the console, not on the shelf, or traded in 4 weeks later. End of story.

Focus on quality of YOUR product Mr. Moore, instead of trying to bleed your customer base. That's business 101.
Bingo. EA has thought for a long time that adding fluff is more important than refining core gameplay. Apparently Peter Moore is no different than those before him.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.