Home
Gran Turismo 5 News Post

Motor Trend has posted a Gran Turismo 5 video, showcasing NASCAR.

Quote:
"We've played advanced demo versions of the long-awaited Gran Turismo 5 and have come away impressed with its blend of realism and user-friendliness. While these demos have been limited in both circuits and vehicles considering the amount of each the final product is said to tout, we're ready to be impressed by the production-ready version of GT5 when it becomes available - hopefully later this year."

Game: Gran Turismo 5Reader Score: 7/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 16 - View All
Gran Turismo 5 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/09/10 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500
It LOOKS brilliant. Swell. Does damage have any effect on vehicle performance? If it doesn't, then whoop-dee-effing-do.

Yes it does, it takes internal damage as well as external. The performance will degrade the more damage you take.

Protip: Look up info before you get pessimistic towards it. There is a wealth of information out there. GT Planet as well as other sites. Even their main site is pretty informative.

# 22 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/09/10 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
I remember them saying that at the time, and I never believed it. I saw it as a way of making excuses for the fact that they just didn't want to model damage. Perhaps it's true, but unless I see a quotes from entities other than PD themselves, I ain't buying it.

Though it's moot now I suppose. Guess we'll see how they've done with it in, what, 3 more years or so? *looks at watch*

Why do you think Burnout and other such heavy crash games could not secure real car licenses. Manufacturers wont license to see their vehicles destroyed.

It wasn't till recently (last few years) that games were allowed to use LICENSED vehicles with damage, as long as the goal wasn't to smash up the vehicles. GT is viewed as a driving enthusiasts games, and all the top car manufacturers use it to market their vehicles, there is interviews on the web about this. And they hold this game to a different standard with the licensing.

They did not want damage to their vehicles in a game they saw as an "enthusiasts" game at the time. Do a search, things will come up. Polyphony had to convince them it was in good taste cause the interwebs cry about something that honestly is novelty IMO.

But in the world we live in, it is about big bad conspiracies and Polyphony of course is lying to us, them big mean companies, on several occasions, and commit slander to the top car manufacturers in the world.

P.S. As if damage modeling was even effective or anything close to looking eye appealing outside of the over the top GTA last gen.

# 23 pk500 @ 03/09/10 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Yes it does, it takes internal damage as well as external. The performance will degrade the more damage you take.

Protip: Look up info before you get pessimistic towards it. There is a wealth of information out there. GT Planet as well as other sites. Even their main site is pretty informative.

Protip -- are you serious? I've been gaming since 1982. I guess I'm an amateur.

# 24 pk500 @ 03/09/10 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
They did not want damage to their vehicles in a game they saw as an "enthusiasts" game at the time. Do a search, things will come up. Polyphony had to convince them it was in good taste cause the interwebs cry about something that honestly is novelty IMO.
Damage in a proper racing game is a novelty? Maybe in your universe. Not mine.

No racing sim -- especially on a PC, where realism reigns supreme -- worth its snot lacks a proper damage model.

The reason a damage model has been deemed unnecessary until now for the GT series is because it is a car-collecting and driving game at heart, not a proper racing sim.

Protip: In the real world, if you crash, your car is damaged. Sims are supposed to mirror reality, especially sims with the tagline "The Realistic Driving Simulator." Ring any bells?

# 25 EnigmaNemesis @ 03/10/10 10:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pk500

No racing sim -- especially on a PC, where realism reigns supreme -- worth its snot lacks a proper damage model.

Protip: In the real world, if you crash, your car is damaged. Sims are supposed to mirror reality, especially sims with the tagline "The Realistic Driving Simulator." Ring any bells?
Why do you think I say it is novelty

Because it has yet to be done properly and probably will never be done properly, cause as you said, it isn't the real world, it is a game.

It will always be a subjective genre to what one thinks is real and another doesn't.

I would rather have none, and play the game to race as it was meant to be played, than a damage modeling that is bogus, and never been done right to distract me.

# 26 pk500 @ 03/10/10 12:23 PM
The effect of damage never has been modeled properly in a PC racing sim? I take it you've never played Richard Burns Rally or Dirt Track Racing: Sprint Cars on the PC.

Hit anything hard in RBR, and you're done -- instantly. If an object hits your windshield, you're looking through spider webs of cracked glass for the rest of the stage.

Hit the wall hard in DTR:SC, and your engine is toast. Turn on tire wear, and your tires will lose grip during a long feature.

Even iRacing has a decent damage model that does little things like slow the car due to suspension damage, pop the gears out of drive due to transmission problems, etc. For example, two weeks ago I was racing in a Dallara IndyCar at Michigan in iRacing and brushed the wall exiting Turn 2. When I turned into Turn 3 after the straightaway, my car spun almost immediately because of the damage to the right front suspension caused by brushing the wall. It bent the A-arm just enough to cause the right front to lose some grip, and around I went.

So please don't try to tell me that racing sims don't simulate damage well. Gran Turismo doesn't simulate damage well. Then again, GT isn't a racing sim. It's a driving and car-collecting game.

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.