Home
Backbreaker News Post

Joystiq has posted their hands-on preview of Backbreaker.

Quote:
"Backbreaker may be the greatest football game no one will ever play. While I can attempt to detail its incredible use of the Euphoria physics engine, its spectacular graphics and truly innovative gameplay, all these features are moot thanks to the crippling fact that the game does not have the NFL license. Without the license, the annual Madden devotee won't have this on his (or her!) radar -- ironic, because Backbreaker makes good on the lofty promises of Madden 06's teased "CG movie" effect, which EA Sports has yet to deliver on, even four years later."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 21 LingeringRegime @ 03/07/10 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I'm more interested in how the game plays, not looks. Abs on the uniforms doesn't mean it's arcade. Animated hand towels doesn't mean its sim.

The game looks like it plays a decent game. I have seen almost no clipping, sliding or glitchy type play in the vids. No real over the top tackles at all. It looks fun to me. Besides, I'll decide if I want that other "sim" game in August, not May 18th.
Great analogy about the abs and hand towels. Very, very true. It makes me laugh that people are really so concerned about what the players look like. I would rather play with an Intellevision style player model, than player models that have little collision detection, or have terrible physics. I am crazy like that.

# 22 Stormcrow @ 03/07/10 01:37 PM
Quote:
I'm more interested in how the game plays, not looks. Abs on the uniforms doesn't mean it's arcade. Animated hand towels doesn't mean its sim.

The game looks like it plays a decent game. I have seen almost no clipping, sliding or glitchy type play in the vids. No real over the top tackles at all. It looks fun to me. Besides, I'll decide if I want that other "sim" game in August, not May 18th.
I'm with you on this. For me, football games don't have to be sim-like in order to be fun. If this game can provide a decent football experience out of the box, that's what I'm more concerned about. Not having injuries, for example, or stats like how many pancake blocks your lineman have don't bother me. Is the game fun? I'd rather see them have the core gameplay be enjoyabe even if it's not ultra-realistic like some people seem to want.

If people are looking for a sim-like experience, then I don't think this game is for you. Also, I'm excited to see how the team editing works, for those people that just gotta have the NFL teams.

# 23 thor-17 @ 03/07/10 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdozer66
Do you people not see how arcady this games looks, it looks like a joke with every player having fake abs through there jersey? i mean come on.

The players all look the same at each position. It looks like blitz the League.

If you want sim, the closest thing is Madden, and it has gotten a lot better.

I cant wait for everyone to be Disappointed and come on here a cry about it.

The "fake abs" that you are talking about are actually pads. They are taking a license to think outside the box and imagine what pads will look like in a few years.

Players don't always look the same. Linemen look a lot bigger than qbs. LBs look bigger than receivers.

I thought Madden was sim this year until my WR had a magical burst of speed and caught a ball that he was in NO position to catch. That ball actually went through the defender. Also, I caught a TD pass with 3 minutes remaining in the half. The refs called it out of bounds. The game wouldn't let me challenge the call. No, I hadn't challenged any plays yet or looked at the replay.

I really don't think we will be dissapointed in a game where glitches and animations don't rule the play on the field. If players get beat, it is because they are out of position. Not because a player morphed into the right position due to a dice roll.

# 24 Americas Team1 @ 03/07/10 04:39 PM
Quote:
Do you people not see how arcady this games looks, it looks like a joke with every player having fake abs through there jersey? i mean come on.

Madden and sim in the same sentence?Ok, that really made me LMFAO.

# 25 TreyIM2 @ 03/07/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turftickler
Well, even if they are anti-Madden, they should be for a good reason. Madden NFL games are horrible at best, in my opinion. I'm being honest, not sarcastic. This should be the Madden NFL killer, but it won't be, especially since NFL gamer fans are brainwashed by EA Sports. Backbreaker deservers respect and a fair chance. I finally broke free from EA's grasp this year.
I feel you but it's one thing to be a "professional gaming website" and rate a game negatively as opposed to being a very sarcastic, childlike website, which can be funny at times DEPENDING ON THE ARTICLE, and give a "preview" of a game like Madden purposely making up things that are not true about the game just because, as a "professional", u don't like Madden or EASports, for that matter. Reading the Backbreaker preview shows that they are obviously trying to stick it to EA in regards to Madden with that overly brimming with positives "preview".
I've briefly skimmed a few other previews and NO ONE seemed to be as chipper about Backbreaker as Joystiq. I smell B.S. in that Joystiq "preview".

At any rate, again, I can't wait to get my hands on the game or demo. I enjoy Madden but don't think it's the be all, end all football game that it can be and give all "competitors" a chance. Backbreaker could possibly be a nice change of pace.

# 26 SouthernBrick @ 03/07/10 04:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto1
This game is a good fix until July. It would really help 505 if they drop the price point to $39-$49. They may lose money but this game needs exposure and many will take the risk at a lower price.
The game is 49.99.

# 27 TreyIM2 @ 03/07/10 04:53 PM
Quote:
Yeah, fair enough. Joystiq was the most positive preview of Backbreaker and Madden forced them to redo their article last year because it was so negative. On the flip side, IGN was possibly the only truly negative preview of Backbreaker so far and they historically go higher than average with their reviews of Madden. Safe to say there is some politics involved in these previews on both sides.

It's really a shame because, these games honestly don't have to compete. If people pick up Backbreaker and enjoy it for three months, they probably got their moneys worth. Then they can move on to Madden if they want. People do it with NCAA all the time.
There maybe politics but I just know how Joystiq tried to stick it to Madden 10 with non-sense in their "preview" then turn around and go extra positive with Backbreaker when NO ELSE seems to be so jovial in their previews of Backbreaker. I read a lil of IGN's preview but I don't think they've been very favorable in their reviews of Madden so I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if IGN reviewers even really care about most sports games, at all, except, maybe Fifa. Lol.

I just know I want to check out this game, period. I like when people try to go against the grain and shake things up, in a POSITIVE way, and Backbreaker represents that for me in regards of football games. Hell, Natural Motion has great tech with the Euphoria engine, period! I hope this game does well and shakes up the football community but some of the previews are very telling. We shall see!

# 28 turftickler @ 03/07/10 10:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Turf;

Practice what you preach? You said in your previous post that you were done talking about Madden, and in your next post you mention it twice?

Sorry, had to point it out.
Stop following me around. Yeah, good point. LOL. I get heated about Madden NFL games sometimes. I can only say one positive thing about Madden 10. It does have nice graphics.

# 29 IceNHL @ 03/07/10 10:54 PM
the game has nice animations but im still not sold on a bunch of non-americans being able to replicate the complexities that makes american professional football what it is.

just because a tackle looks nice doesnt mean jack s**t if the football sucks.

# 30 kjcheezhead @ 03/08/10 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
There maybe politics but I just know how Joystiq tried to stick it to Madden 10 with non-sense in their "preview" then turn around and go extra positive with Backbreaker when NO ELSE seems to be so jovial in their previews of Backbreaker. I read a lil of IGN's preview but I don't think they've been very favorable in their reviews of Madden so I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if IGN reviewers even really care about most sports games, at all, except, maybe Fifa. Lol.

I just know I want to check out this game, period. I like when people try to go against the grain and shake things up, in a POSITIVE way, and Backbreaker represents that for me in regards of football games. Hell, Natural Motion has great tech with the Euphoria engine, period! I hope this game does well and shakes up the football community but some of the previews are very telling. We shall see!
Well, some of IGNs complaints were odd imo opinion. He complained about not being able to upload logos because he's not much of an artist. Really? The Cowboys, Chargers, Packers, Bears, Browns, Giants, and Colts logos are so complicated he didn't think he could do that?

Also he complained about how long it was taking while forgetting to mention just how small BBs development team was. I say, so they are taking their time, big deal. They took 10 years creating the movie Avatar and that turned out pretty good.

on the other hand no one else was quite as jovial as Joystiq. But, here's a collection of the "best of" that I have read so far...

“I've honestly never seen more realistic looking tackles than I did in Backbreaker”
1UP

“On the surface, Backbreaker might not appear to be more than just another arcade-style football video game in the vein of NFL Blitz -- sans any licensed NFL teams, logos or stadiums -- but it's actually approaching the genre from an interesting and refreshing new angle.”
Gamerpro

“Coming away from Backbreaker, I have to say that it is fairly impressive. It's a good looking game, and with the addition of the Euphoria Engine, the animations are truly lifelike. Nothing feels canned, and every hit has solid weight behind it.”
Destructoid

“Gamers will view Backbreaker as just another gimmicky sports title, when in fact it’s a revolution in disguise. Look out EA”
Xbox360

# 31 moylan1234 @ 03/08/10 12:08 AM
^that last quote gives me the chills

# 32 TreyIM2 @ 03/08/10 12:40 AM
Quote:
Well, some of IGNs complaints were odd imo opinion. He complained about not being able to upload logos because he's not much of an artist. Really? The Cowboys, Chargers, Packers, Bears, Browns, Giants, and Colts logos are so complicated he didn't think he could do that?

Also he complained about how long it was taking while forgetting to mention just how small BBs development team was. I say, so they are taking their time, big deal. They took 10 years creating the movie Avatar and that turned out pretty good.

on the other hand no one else was quite as jovial as Joystiq. But, here's a collection of the "best of" that I have read so far...

“I've honestly never seen more realistic looking tackles than I did in Backbreaker”
1UP

“On the surface, Backbreaker might not appear to be more than just another arcade-style football video game in the vein of NFL Blitz -- sans any licensed NFL teams, logos or stadiums -- but it's actually approaching the genre from an interesting and refreshing new angle.”
Gamerpro

“Coming away from Backbreaker, I have to say that it is fairly impressive. It's a good looking game, and with the addition of the Euphoria Engine, the animations are truly lifelike. Nothing feels canned, and every hit has solid weight behind it.”
Destructoid

“Gamers will view Backbreaker as just another gimmicky sports title, when in fact it’s a revolution in disguise. Look out EA”
Xbox360

Yezzir! Can't wait!

# 33 nyj721 @ 03/08/10 09:24 PM
i wonder how the passing game will be

# 34 blackscorpion11 @ 03/08/10 10:33 PM
The NFL isn't required to make this a hit, nobody DEVS included seem as concerned with GAMEPLAY as they should be, GAMEPLAY is what makes or breaks this game. I'll have fun making my own logos similar to NCAA'a teambuilder.. Nice that he confirmed that it's the best looking football game in years..

That pesky camera angle is the thing.. could be a major mistake to have deviated from the gamer expected camera angles..

# 35 blackscorpion11 @ 03/08/10 10:40 PM
Quote:
Yeah, fair enough. Joystiq was the most positive preview of Backbreaker and Madden forced them to redo their article last year because it was so negative. On the flip side, IGN was possibly the only truly negative preview of Backbreaker so far and they historically go higher than average with their reviews of Madden. Safe to say there is some politics involved in these previews on both sides.

It's really a shame because, these games honestly don't have to compete. If people pick up Backbreaker and enjoy it for three months, they probably got their moneys worth. Then they can move on to Madden if they want. People do it with NCAA all the time.
These games will compete because BB is being looked at and talked about as a PRO football alternative with PRO football rules and presentation. Speaking for myself, i buy 1 pro football game a year and 1 college.. My pro this year IS backbreaker.. Good or bad Madden doesnt get my money anymore, i was done with EA 2 yrs ago.

# 36 blackscorpion11 @ 03/08/10 10:46 PM
Quote:

Madden isnt sim, if you want sim look at All Pro football 2K8

# 37 blackscorpion11 @ 03/08/10 10:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ
Great analogy about the abs and hand towels. Very, very true. It makes me laugh that people are really so concerned about what the players look like. I would rather play with an Intellevision style player model, than player models that have little collision detection, or have terrible physics. I am crazy like that.
Noooooo he didn't drop INTELLIVISION on us!!

(:

Yes, i had one of those too

# 38 blackscorpion11 @ 03/08/10 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceNHL
the game has nice animations but im still not sold on a bunch of non-americans being able to replicate the complexities that makes american professional football what it is.

just because a tackle looks nice doesnt mean jack s**t if the football sucks.
Youre right , if the gameplay sucks, nice tackles, collision detection and football physics won't matter.

But as it is, we can't even get our AMERICAN Devs to produce a football game with physics, collision detection and of course nice tackles..

the only sport where ive seen pro-tak is Australian rules football Dammit i want football not INVICTUS??!

(:

# 39 turftickler @ 03/09/10 09:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackscorpion11
Noooooo he didn't drop INTELLIVISION on us!!

(:

Yes, i had one of those too

LOL. You guys are old. Wait, I had one of those myself.

Backbreaker's gameplay is the main focus. It just so happens that they used Euphoria Motion for tackles and just about everything else in the game. Euphoria was not just used for tackles. We will see how different this game is from the traditional scripted animation football games.

# 40 CreatineKasey @ 03/09/10 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by creed200569
LMAO. Madden is NOT sim and never has been on next gen and at this rate they never will be. As for BB,those are NOT abs,those are part of the uniform. The players clearly do NOT look the same,you can tell the difference in sizes with the players,just open your eyes. Oh and I cant wait until I see all the Maddenites talk about how crappy Madden 11 is.
Really dude... don't tell people what to think please. Just because you say something doesn't mean it's true. These are merely opinions.

Your sentence should be rephrased: "I don't think M10 is a SIM football game".

Let's talk about BB and what positives it can bring to our football gaming. Honestly guys, some of this is getting unreadable with the seething hate for EA. This should be a positive BB forum excited for the game, not a "hate on EA" forum. It's not enjoyable and drives many fans of gaming away.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.