Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

2D-X has posted an interview with Mike Fahrny, Producer of Tecmo Bowl Throwback.

Quote:
2D-X: "In terms of customization, will gamers be able to tweak teams as they see fit, or will they have to have to earn points over the course of a season to apply to abilities?"

Mike: "All abilities in Throwback are true to the SNES version and players will not be able to edit them nor will they increase/decrease over a season. Earning points over a season is a good idea though – perhaps the next time around."

Damn, that's not good news.

Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Badboy49er @ 03/11/10 12:30 AM
Damn!

# 2 jyoung @ 03/11/10 12:33 AM
I'm fine with this given how online play in the DS version was so imbalanced.

You'd have teams with jacked up ratings taking on teams with the default ratings and it'd be no contest.

Now everybody's on a level playing field, which can only benefit the longevity of the online community.

Edit: from what I understand of the interview, we are getting the exact ratings that are on the SNES TSB cart, only with the names changed to protect the teams and players.

This is pretty much the best possible solution IMO.

# 3 CreatineKasey @ 03/11/10 08:57 AM
I'm definitely okay with original rosters. I remember them pretty well to this day.

Hopefully we can edit uniforms, and maybe names. The ratings are already there

At least we don't have to fear playing maxed out squads online. Tournaments have a chance to be a riot. Speaking of which, I'm going to try to do an OS tournament when it releases so I can confirm my Tecmo dominance >

Looks like Barry Foster, Greg Lloyd and Rod Woodson are BACK! Woof woof! Maybe even let us change numbers.... I want to see Greg in his 95.

# 4 ODogg @ 03/11/10 09:08 AM
I'm actually very happy the stats won't be editable, that would have destroyed online play.

# 5 CreatineKasey @ 03/11/10 12:40 PM
Montana on the Chiefs?!

Barry Sanders!

Barry Foster is a nice HB for the Steelers.
Emmit Smith rocks.
Neal Anderson is a tank on the Bears at HB.
Iron Head Heyward on the Saints! lol

Deion Sanders on the Falcons.

... alright I'll stop. You can check the roster and ratings out for yourself right here:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/file/588774/41237

# 6 CreatineKasey @ 03/11/10 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm217
So many great players. The list goes on and on. Hot tub Time Machine here I come. Man it's going to be nice to relive those years playing Tecmo Super Bowl with the likes of LT and company!
You know it! BTW I think it might be 1993 NFL rosters.

# 7 jyoung @ 03/11/10 01:13 PM
Actually, "Ironhead" is on the Bears. I believe his 94 hit power is one of the best in the game, if not the best.

I usually played as either Denver or Detroit, depending on whether I wanted to use Elway or Sanders.

But man, Detroit's passing game was terrible with Rodney Pete at QB.

# 8 CreatineKasey @ 03/11/10 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wEEman33
Actually, "Ironhead" is on the Bears. I believe his 94 hit power is one of the best in the game, if not the best.

I usually played as either Denver or Detroit, depending on whether I wanted to use Elway or Sanders.

But man, Detroit's passing game was terrible with Rodney Pete at QB.
You are right. That messed me up. Too much NES/SNES mix-ups

The Steelers are pretty solid surprisingly. This was one of Cowher's first years. Lloyd and Greene are at my disposal!

"Lloyd have Mercy"

# 9 jyoung @ 03/11/10 01:22 PM
The Steelers' passing game kind of sucked but they had one the best running combos in the game with Foster and Hoge plus a godly defense to lock down the other team.

And since you could only play the 3-4 defense in this game, teams who actually ran a 3-4 scheme in real life were at a big advantage personnel wise.

# 10 CreatineKasey @ 03/11/10 01:33 PM
Quote:
The Steelers' passing game kind of sucked but they had one the best running combos in the game with Foster and Hoge plus a godly defense to lock down the other team.

And since you could only play the 3-4 defense in this game, teams who actually ran a 3-4 scheme in real life were at a big advantage personnel wise.
I like the Packers as an underdog squad. Reggie Fright is that game's version of Bruce Smith from TSB on the NES.

Hoge got a massive hit power boost in this version.

Any chance you guys played the Sega Genesis version? That's what I owned. Oddly enough, that game swapped the rush power and run speed ratings. It had run speed at a standard 69 on offense and rush power varying. This is opposite to the NES and apparently opposite to this NES game. That annoyed me to no end.. and still does.

There's a nice blend of teams in this version. Overall, the ratings seem more balanced. There's no fast WR in comparison to the NES version. I remember this. In some ways it'll be better for competition, but I also miss the wacky superstars from the NES game that have grown to legendary status.

# 11 jyoung @ 03/11/10 01:35 PM
Yeah the SNES roster is a ton more balanced than the NES one.

There are some really good players in this game but nobody who is unstoppable like Bo Jackson or Lawrence Taylor.

I never played the Genesis versions until well after the fact, but I thought they sucked compared to the SNES games.

# 12 CreatineKasey @ 03/11/10 01:40 PM
Quote:
Yeah the SNES roster is a ton more balanced than the NES one.

There are some really good players in this game but nobody that is really unstoppable like Bo Jackson or Lawrence Taylor.

I never played the Genesis version until well after the fact. It sucked compared to the SNES games IMO.
Good to hear. I didn't play the SNES much. Apparently they are different. I thought the Genesis version sucked too in comparison to the NES.

They seemed to suck out all the crazy plays which made Tecmo great. It boiled down to a much less exciting game overall. Big play potential in the run game wasn't there. You couldn't zig-zag for big scores. It felt different.

Oddly enough this is my road through Tecmo:

1. Tecmo Bowl (NES)
2. Tecmo Super Bowl (Genesis)
3A. Tecmo Super Bowl 3 (Genesis)
3B. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

Basically, I learned that the NES version had better gameplay than the Genesis version.

# 13 bcruise @ 03/11/10 01:43 PM
Just a heads up, guys -

I was just playing the old SNES version to check a few things, and the Nose Tackle dive ***** move is still alive and well in that game. I hope they've been able to do something about that play because if not, online is going to be limited to just playing against friends that you can trust not to do that move.

# 14 jyoung @ 03/11/10 01:59 PM
Yeah the nose tackle dive glitch has been around in every version of the game I've played.

It's one of those "house rules" you just have to enforce when playing against friends.

# 15 ODogg @ 03/11/10 02:33 PM
So the Cowboys will be pretty awsome with triplets right?

# 16 boomhauertjs @ 03/11/10 02:36 PM
Quote:
The weird thing is that many teams had switched back to the 4-3, so it didn't make sense to only have the 3-4. Easier to program that way I guess.

# 17 TheWatcher @ 03/11/10 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Good to hear. I didn't play the SNES much. Apparently they are different. I thought the Genesis version sucked too in comparison to the NES.

They seemed to suck out all the crazy plays which made Tecmo great. It boiled down to a much less exciting game overall. Big play potential in the run game wasn't there. You couldn't zig-zag for big scores. It felt different.

Oddly enough this is my road through Tecmo:

1. Tecmo Bowl (NES)
2. Tecmo Super Bowl (Genesis)
3A. Tecmo Super Bowl 3 (Genesis)
3B. Tecmo Super Bowl (NES)

Basically, I learned that the NES version had better gameplay than the Genesis version.
The Genesis version was WAY too easy for some reason. Easier than normal. Maybe it was just me, but I'd rack up some pretty ridiculous scores in that one. The only thing I liked about the Genesis version was the music. I still play it sometimes just for that, lol.

# 18 ODogg @ 03/11/10 03:30 PM
rm217, that's going to rock the house...i hope the game itself is really tecmo throwback and not tecmo re-imagined!

# 19 Sherman91587 @ 03/11/10 04:11 PM
Back to the days where the Niners where actually GOOD! Thank you Tecmo.... SF the team to beat woot woot.

# 20 CreatineKasey @ 03/11/10 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm217
Like Hogan would say, "I'm with you BROTHER"!
For the love of God don't screw with the formula Tecmo.
Give us a play call time limit, along with a snap time limit (griefers)
Kill the NG dive.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING ELSE

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.