Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

ESPN Videogames have posted a Q&A session with Mike Fahrny, Producer of Tecmo Bowl Throwback.

Quote:
Jon: "Are the playbooks straight from the SNES version as well or have there been updates?"

Mike: "They're the old playbooks. We've updated the U.I. (user interface) to be more user friendly, and you can play the game in either the new 3D or the old 2D which is cool. You can even switch on the fly between 2D and 3D at any point. So you can have that old school 2D, 16-bit feel, and then you can also have an updated 3D look if you want. But like I said, the plays are all the same from the original with the ability to swap plays in and out of your playbook to customize what the eight plays are you want to use."

Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 1 Bellsprout @ 03/17/10 11:19 PM
I smell anger coming from people mad about ratings being locked.

# 2 CreatineKasey @ 03/18/10 12:08 AM
I'm more excited for it without editable ratings. Online is going to be crazy.

I'm going to get goosebumps playing this for the first time online. Brings back memories already.

# 3 Valdarez @ 03/18/10 12:08 AM
He's right about folks busting out their old nintendo. I have my SNES hooked up in my bedroom, and I occasionally play Super Mario Brothers, Nobunaga's Ambition, and of course, Super Tecmo Bowl.

# 4 Ijeswannaknow @ 03/18/10 12:24 AM
All these interviews!!!...When is the damn release date?...lol Thats all I wanna know!

# 5 KBLover @ 03/18/10 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
He's right about folks busting out their old nintendo. I have my SNES hooked up in my bedroom, and I occasionally play Super Mario Brothers, Nobunaga's Ambition, and of course, Super Tecmo Bowl.
Wow.

Another Nobunaga's Ambition fan?

As far as the non-editable ratings - I'm not exactly thrilled, but I guess it's because two of my favorite teams (BAL, JAX) didn't exist in '93...

# 6 jyoung @ 03/18/10 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
Nah, this was the right way to go about it.

Anyone who's played the DS version can vouch that editable ratings basically ruined the competitive balance online.

People would just max out all their players and run all over you.

# 7 TheWatcher @ 03/18/10 06:47 PM
^^^ I think it was okay to get rid of it for online, but to not have it available for offline wasn't a good idea. Say I wanted to recreate the current NFL? Well that will be tough if I choose a team like Indianapolis because they sucked in 1993 and there is nothing I'd be able to do to change it in the game.

# 8 CreatineKasey @ 03/18/10 07:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
^^^ I think it was okay to get rid of it for online, but to not have it available for offline wasn't a good idea. Say I wanted to recreate the current NFL? Well that will be tough if I choose a team like Indianapolis because they sucked in 1993 and there is nothing I'd be able to do to change it in the game.
This is a good point. Standard rosters online editable offline.

Regardless, if it was a choice between completely editable and standardized, I'll choose standardized.

# 9 KBLover @ 03/18/10 07:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher

This

Another case were online play takes precedence over offline...

Oh well. Still interested - and fortunately TB and OAK will be in the game, my other two favorite teams.

# 10 Valdarez @ 03/20/10 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeAreAllWitnesses
Ick... so basically we're stuck with the teams they give us? Holy watered down configuration batman! We definitely need the ability to create teams with different levels of players in a way that lets us create well balanced teams for online play ala APF2K8.

# 11 CreatineKasey @ 03/21/10 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Ick... so basically we're stuck with the teams they give us? Holy watered down configuration batman! We definitely need the ability to create teams with different levels of players in a way that lets us create well balanced teams for online play ala APF2K8.
We were given the original rosters and basically have to manually edit it.

# 12 Valdarez @ 03/21/10 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
We were given the original rosters and basically have to manually edit it.
Just the names though. In other words, there will be no real way to replicate the current NFL teams. We can recreate the NFL teams from 91, but that will be it. We'd need to be able to control the ratings to replicate teams from the current year.

# 13 kwpit79 @ 03/25/10 10:19 PM
Just wondering: wasn't there only 28 teams until 1995? There are 32 teams in this version, correct?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.