Home
ProStroke Golf: World Tour News Post

Critically Acclaimed ProStroke Golf heads to the PlayStationTM 3, Xbox® 360 & PC

Northamptonshire, UK Thursday 8th April 2010 – O-Games announces ProStroke Golf: World Tour for the PlayStation™ 3, Xbox® 360 and PC.

Building on the success of the critically acclaimed ProStroke Golf: World Tour 2007, O-Games and developer Gusto Games have been developing ProStroke for its debut on the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles.

ProStroke Golf made its mark by delivering realistic golf physics and shot taking, using the revolutionary ProStroke View and ProStroke Swing.

David Wiltshire O-Games Producer commented “ProStroke Golf’s control and physics were unrivalled in video games golf and truly delivered a realistic golfing experience. We’ve been hard a work for some time now to bring ProStroke to the PS3 and Xbox 360 consoles to continue the success of the brand and build on the success of the product”.

With a number of fully licensed courses, five different playing modes including Challenge Mode where you can pitch yourself against a pro, and enhanced gameplay physics to ensure a truly realistic golfing experience, ProStroke Golf: World Tour will take you from your living room and onto the golf course like never before.

“There will be some big announcements shortly surrounding ProStroke that are very exciting” David Wiltshire added.

Pro Stoke Golf World Tour for the PlayStation™ 3, Xbox® 360 and PC coming soon.

Check out the screenshots, right here.

Game: ProStroke Golf: World TourHype Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 2 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 OnlookerDelay @ 05/27/10 07:43 PM
One thing that I've gleaned from looking at two of these screenshots is that there is a hint that this might be the way you, as the player, views the other golfers in your group as you're playing. They sort of pulled this off in Prostroke Golf 2007, but they weren't consistent with it.

I think it would be such an enhancement for a golf game to only use the shot camera view for your golfer only. You should be watching the other golfers from where your golfer would be standing in the virtual environment. I hope Gusto Games can pull this off in this game!

# 22 OnlookerDelay @ 06/02/10 04:11 PM
Hmmmm.... not a total surprise, but here's confirmation of at least one platform (PS3/Move) supporting motion control for Prostroke Golf: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressr...at_E3_2010.php

I'm expecting to see Natal support announced at some point prior to E3. Who knows, they may sit on the news until the actual E3?

# 23 LingeringRegime @ 06/02/10 04:25 PM
I will get Move just to play it with this game.

# 24 randogu @ 06/18/10 01:34 AM
Destructoid posted a little E3 footage of ProStroke using the PS3 Move setup. Not much to see, but the game looks like its running very smooth. Figured a few of you might want to take a peek.

http://www.destructoid.com/e3-10-hol...y-176878.phtml

PROTIP: Turn the sound off to avoid the annoying kid.

# 25 OnlookerDelay @ 06/18/10 02:13 AM
randogu, thanks for the link... that actually looked better than I thought it would. I'd like to get some better video, with a dev commenting about what's going on. Maybe there's hope here after all!

# 26 BleacherCreature @ 06/18/10 07:34 PM
I vote for this to be the cover picture....

# 27 LingeringRegime @ 06/18/10 08:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleacherCreature
I vote for this to be the cover picture....

That actually might get some rednecks to buy it.

# 28 DivotMaker @ 06/18/10 09:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFTFUNDAMENTALZ

That actually might get some rednecks to buy it.
And NASCAR fans...

# 29 OnlookerDelay @ 06/19/10 08:58 AM
I found this post about this game from an E3 goer at Gamespot:

"without an doubt this is the highlight of the show Dalys Prostroke Golf with Move support was much more fluid and realistic than Tiger

I was told by everyone who played the game that it was better than tiger

Anybody else play the game on the booth?"

Of course this could be an O-Games plant for all I know, but I did find a video of the game from E3, which is sort of interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOgdmk60JAI

It seems like there's more going on with the camera options with this game versus Tiger 11, but it's hard to say how much of it is selectable. The tee shot looks like a cross between Tiger Woods 11's Presentation and True Aim camera's on the 360/PS3, with a hint of Wii's True View camera thrown in for the address through impact. Still need a lot more information on this title, but it's already showing more dynamics than I'd thought it might.

Finally, here's Brian Ekberg's impressions of the demo from Gamespot:

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6265889...-golf-hands-on

It's looking more and more like the PS3's Move update for Tiger Woods 11 will not include True View support. I figured they would have shown it in action or at least announced it at E3 were that to be the case. I'm a bit more stoked for ProStroke Golf as a result, in hopes that it will help fill the void in the hi-def, motion controller, golfer's eye perspective video game department. TW 11 on the 360 is currently getting the job done in the hi-def, hand held gamepad, third-person perspective department in my world...

# 30 OnlookerDelay @ 06/19/10 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymour Scagnetti
I think you might be jumping the gun a bit about Trueview's exclusion. They still have 3 months (maybe alot more because it's not set in stone that the patch for the Move in TW will come as soon as the wand is available in Sept, we may have to wait until Xmas to have the patch available) to get evrything ready and may be the bugs haven't been worked out enough right now to show it at E3.
I'm hoping that's the case. I just figured they might at least announced something about True View, or at least had it as a footnote in the press materials for the show. I have the luxury of being able to wait because ProStoke won't be out until the Move update is much closer.

Quote:
To be honest I played the Wii version at a friend's place the other day and I'm not a big fan of trueview with motion controls. I prefer the standard camera angle.
That may prove to be the case with me as well, I really won't know until I try it. Did you try it with vertical True View as opposed to the default "horizontal True View"? I've read on the EA Wii forum that many who are trying the vertical True View prefer it to horizontal. From what I saw of the video that NoChin put up there, I can see where the vertical True View makes a lot more intuitive sense. This is what troubles me about what I've seen in JD's Prostroke Golf so far, it's only shown a horizontal, golfer's eye view of the stroke.

Quote:
Swinging irons and driver was fine because it's usually a full swing and I'm always looking down when I swing so it doesn't really matter what's on screen but for putting it felt weird and unnatural. In real life my eye is always shifting from my feet to the hole and you really can't do that with true view, it's too unwieldy and hard to judge speed when you can't see the hole in front of you as you swing the putter. I found putting more comfortable just using the standard view because my eye shifts from the TV to see my backswing down to the golfball on the carpet as I go forward.
I found that in the 45 minutes of play time I had with the Wii version of Tiger Woods 10, I looked down at an imaginary ball on the carpet when I was executing all shots in the Wii version, once I'd lined the shot up. I did fine with it and I'd imagine that's the way I'd play TW 11 with a motion controller.

What intrigues me about the way True View handles the perspective is there's a sort of panning of the golfer's eye's as the view transitions from the head-down address view to the "follow the ball" view. That will probably be the first thing I'll see in whatever version I wind up with, and even then, I'll be cheating to get an early look, versus what I do in real life.

# 31 DivotMaker @ 06/19/10 10:48 AM
Quote:
I think you might be jumping the gun a bit about Trueview's exclusion. They still have 3 months (maybe alot more because it's not set in stone that the patch for the Move in TW will come as soon as the wand is available in Sept, we may have to wait until Xmas to have the patch available) to get evrything ready and may be the bugs haven't been worked out enough right now to show it at E3.
My understanding is that the PS3 version will be getting a patch that enables Move functionality pretty much the day the peripheral ships. However, that is today, who knows when it will ship for sure, but I know EA is working hard on making sure the Move is properly supported.

# 32 OnlookerDelay @ 06/19/10 12:26 PM
Quote:
I only played a couple of hours with it, just enough to know at the highest skill level, tour pro or advanced +, there is no way I'll be shooting anything close to par so career mode will just be an exercise in frustration. As a golf simulator it's excellent and I guess to play with buddies but the frustration of shanking shots could take the luster off that unless your buddies show alot more patience playing this than they do on a real course.
I played TW 10 on the Wii in Advanced, for my 45 minute trial. It took me about 15 minutes to get the hang of it, but once I did, I got the idea that I'd be shooting in the low 60's, or better with ease. I don't know what would work best for me in TW 11, but I have a hunch that it would be Tour Pro. I want a level of difficulty that makes me feel gratified to break par.

Quote:
I'm not sure which one was horizontal and which was the vertical view.
With Horizontal True View, the swing meter is horizontal on the screen and your body directly faces the screen as you swing the WiiMote in parallel to the screen. From watching the videos, I get the impression that I've just shanked the ball 90 degrees because the ball winds up heading into the depth of the HDTV screen, while I've just performed a physical act that was 90 degrees out of phase with that.

Vertical True View has the swing meter vertically oriented on the screen, and you point your left hip at the screen (if you're a right handed golfer). You swing the WiiMote directly toward the screen rather than parallel to it. When the ball leaves, it travels in the same direction as your swingpath. It makes a lot more intuitive sense to me to do it this way, although once you get your feel down, I don't guess it would matter which way you're facing, if you're not going to look up until after impact anyway.

Quote:
I guess you could get used to the putting if you play long enough but I couldn't get a comfort level where I felt confident about my speed like I did last year.
I grasped the putting very easily with TW 10 on the Wii, even in my short time with it. I would hope that it is more difficult this year... I'm sure it would be in Tour Pro. Heck, I may wind up buying a Wii and the Wii version of TW 11 yet, particularly if TW 11 PS3 doesn't get True View support and ProStroke doesn't deliver in both the control feel and dynamic presentation department.

Another thing that really impresses me about the Wii version of TW 11 is how much better the ball impact sound effects are, both for metal woods and irons. They don't have the compressed dynamic range that the 360 version has in this area... vastly more atmospheric in this department!

# 33 OnlookerDelay @ 06/24/10 10:13 AM
Pretty decent trailer of John Daly's Prostroke Golf here in hi-def:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=348JV...eature=related

I think it's looking okay...

# 34 rockchisler @ 06/24/10 11:20 AM
Cant wait till release

# 35 OnlookerDelay @ 06/26/10 09:10 PM
More news on the JDPSG front... check this interview out:

http://www.playstatic.com/news/1922

"we’ve gone from a single hole being loaded for the game to a full 18 hole environment. These environments use SpeedTree to give realistic and animated trees with up to 3000 on a single course."

Oh, they are looking into Kinect support... that's a little iffy for a product that's slated for an October release, but if they can add it after release, that won't be any different than what EA Sports is doing with Move support in TW 11.

# 36 DivotMaker @ 06/27/10 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlookerDelay
More news on the JDPSG front... check this interview out:

http://www.playstatic.com/news/1922

"we’ve gone from a single hole being loaded for the game to a full 18 hole environment. These environments use SpeedTree to give realistic and animated trees with up to 3000 on a single course."
I hope they have better luck with SpeedTree than CPG 1 & 2 had.....

# 37 OnlookerDelay @ 06/27/10 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivotMaker
I hope they have better luck with SpeedTree than CPG 1 & 2 had.....
Ah, so that's where that term came from! I knew I'd heard SpeedTree before, but I thought it was from one of the Carver brothers, talking about the new 3D engine they were creating. Now that you mention it, I do see a CPG look to the screen images. My outdated PC's gagged on both CPG demos I tried.

# 38 randogu @ 08/26/10 09:27 PM
New game play video posted at GameTrailers.

They're using PSMove again. Playing at the Belfry and one of the players is a lefty.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/th...n-dalys/703578

# 39 OnlookerDelay @ 08/26/10 11:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randogu
New game play video posted at GameTrailers.

They're using PSMove again. Playing at the Belfry and one of the players is a lefty.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/th...n-dalys/703578
Thanks for posting that link randogu. The game is actually looking considerably better than some of the earlier screenshots and vids. I saw a number of things that I'm curious about. First, I see a camera button on the HUD, and I'm curious as to how many options are available. I'd like to see some versatility here. The presentation of the tee shot and the 3-3-iron approach used camera techniques that I thought were okay. I would like to have the option to hold the golfer's perspective view a little longer before switching to a downrange camera though.

The second thing I noticed was a "Caddie View" button. I'm very curious about that... can't tell what it means, but I had to watch the video with no sound at the PC from which I'm viewing it.

Finally - and this is what bothers me the most at this point - I noticed during the putt, the player was swinging with a 92% swing on a 10 foot putt. It looked like they'd selected a "10 foot" putt range and were scaling their input based on that. Puhleeze don't tell me their going to have scaleable putt ranges in this game!? What's the point in having a fully proportional controller, if you're going to allow something this cheesy to negate it??

I'm hoping maybe that's a function of the level of difficulty being played because multiple putter ranges have no place in a golf game this day and age, particularly one using a motion controller!

# 40 ty5oke @ 08/27/10 07:54 PM
GiantBomb Quick Look

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.