Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Gamespot has posted a Q&A session with Jason Danahy, animation director on Madden NFL 11, detailing the new dual stick controls.

Quote:
Gamespot: "Before we get into the details of how dual-stick controls work, can you explain the philosophy behind the new control system? What are you looking to accomplish? "

Jason: "We spent time looking at highlights of some the great running backs (Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, etc.), as well as game film of today’s running backs. We broke down why these guys were successful when running the ball and decided to focus in on two basic points: footwork and body control.

What we found was that a lot of these guys set defenders up with a quick plant or series of plants (breakdown). They would plant to one side and see how the defender would react to that and then decide what to do next based off of the defender...maybe a juke to the outside, maybe a spin back to the inside, or just cut and go.

They also had great control of their upper body. They knew when to try and deliver a hit to a defender and when to protect the ball and try and avoid taking a big hit. They could steer into a defender they were trying to truck, as well as turn their bodies away from defenders to not take the big shot and try to slip through a tackle or be able to fall forward to get that extra yard."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 oneamongthefence @ 04/20/10 04:20 PM
I assuming in order to lean you have to cover the ball first at least it looked that way in the demo.

# 22 coogrfan @ 04/20/10 04:20 PM
cdj over at ncaastrategies has confirmed that this will be in NCAA 11 as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdj
(Madden) may do some things different in the timing & rewarding, but the core is the same with the right stick lean, twist, and moves.

# 23 lgxjames @ 04/20/10 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
Basically looks like they are trying to do some of Backbreakers controls. Amazing what competition does for innovation.
How do ppl chalk this up to backbreaker or competition when this stuff was discussed last year when ppl begged for NHL like controls, stick skills etc??

# 24 RGiles36 @ 04/20/10 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
How do ppl chalk this up to backbreaker or competition when this stuff was discussed last year when ppl begged for NHL like controls, stick skills etc??
Good question ...

# 25 SteelerSpartan @ 04/20/10 04:24 PM
the foot planting still looks suspect to me

need to see straight up gameplay

# 26 kjcheezhead @ 04/20/10 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
As someone stated earlier in the thread, FIFA and NHL have similar controls. I doubt they had BB on the mind, but more so from FIFA and NHL.
I will agree to disagree. NHL and FIFA have used their controls for years. The first new football game comes out in 3 years using this system and now Madden and NCAA are adding it? hmmmm.

# 27 LBzrule @ 04/20/10 04:28 PM
They should do the same thing for defense (leaning) and get rid of hit stick. And let the leaning, angle, velocity and weight of players determine the possible animations that can occur.

# 28 mvb34 @ 04/20/10 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjcheezhead
I will agree to disagree. NHL and FIFA have used their controls for years. The first new football game comes out in 3 years using this system and now Madden and NCAA are adding it? hmmmm.

You really trying to make your game to look good..

# 29 cowboyscowboys @ 04/20/10 04:32 PM
Looks like a crappy gimmick so far but until you play and see how much control you have in the game you never know.

# 30 Danimal @ 04/20/10 04:33 PM
Lets stop with the Game X took / was influecned from Game Y...

Only warning.

# 31 CardsFan52 @ 04/20/10 04:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert_24
I assuming in order to lean you have to cover the ball first at least it looked that way in the demo.
This is what i was thinking too, going to add a little more strategy to carrying the ball.

# 32 xblake16x @ 04/20/10 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan52
I'm Curious tho are both the body lean and the right stick jukes on the same stick? And if so how will the game interpret what the user is trying to accomplish.
it said that to do a body lean you have to hold the stick forward and then you can lean left or right at will. to do jukes you initally go left or right without going forward prior

# 33 LBzrule @ 04/20/10 04:42 PM
How to perform the moves is demonstrated in the video. There is a small cursor on the R stick in both videos.

# 34 kjcheezhead @ 04/20/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvb34
You really trying to make your game to look good..
Lol, not hardly. Overall I have said many times Backbreaker can't compete with Madden and won't hurt sales or be a replacement for an NFL game.

Just calling it like I see it. I like the addition, just the timing is...ironic.

Sorry I posted this before I read the warning. I'm done.

# 35 CardsFan52 @ 04/20/10 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xblake16x
it said that to do a body lean you have to hold the stick forward and then you can lean left or right at will. to do jukes you initally go left or right without going forward prior
Ok i see how its going to work now thanks Xblake & LB very helpful.

# 36 radatdude2 @ 04/20/10 04:50 PM
looks good great to see new controls. should be more fun breaking tackles

# 37 TreyIM2 @ 04/20/10 04:50 PM
I was JUST about to post this because it wasn't here a moment ago.

Anyway, THIS SOUNDS AND LOOKS HOT!!!!! Looks like the controls will FINALLY be responsive!!

# 38 TreyIM2 @ 04/20/10 04:53 PM
Wow, lots of Negative Nancys. Someone even used the word gimmick?? Whoa, dip. People complain that Madden doesn't do this, doesn't have that and then when they try to implement something to make the game better, people STILL complain and even have the nerve to say that this new amount of control is a "crappy gimmick". Some of you need serious psychiatric help, for real.

# 39 Hova57 @ 04/20/10 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
Wow, lots of Negative Nancys. Someone even used the word gimmick?? Whoa, dip. People complain that Madden doesn't do this, doesn't have that and then when they try to implement something to make the game better, people STILL complain and even have the nerve to say that this new amount of control is a "crappy gimmick". Some of you need serious psychiatric help, for real.
exactly that why it didn't happen sooner,

don't you guys remember when they first went analog people were upset didn't like the idea now you do it and don't even realize it. same will be with this after the first month

# 40 CardsFan52 @ 04/20/10 05:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
exactly that why it didn't happen sooner,

don't you guys remember when they first went analog people were upset didn't like the idea now you do it and don't even realize it. same will be with this after the first month
Yeah I like this idea a lot, I can't wait to see it in action and see how a wrong body lean will leave the ball vulnerable for a strip. Or see someone with no stick skills go to truck me only to fall face first.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.