Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 jello1717 @ 04/24/10 12:35 AM
Another thing I noticed was the camera angle. Rudy made a thread about how the old camera was in the game, but the camera in this vid looked like the '10 camera. I couldn't see either outside receiver in the normal presnap camera angle.

# 42 moylan1234 @ 04/24/10 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatcher
But above just that glaring mistake in design, it boggles my mind that they'd do it to a replay of all things (you see it happen in the brief replay shown in the video)...

... a replay? Seriously guys? The very idea of a replay is so the viewer can, ya know, SEE THE PLAY?! I guess the word obstruction is just not in their vocabulary

They just don't get it. They simply don't get it
I'm confused what happens during the replay? can you point to a time mark so I can watch the video again and look for what you're talking about?

# 43 dmick4324 @ 04/24/10 12:40 AM
Perhaps a 3-4 defense will work correctly?

# 44 TheWatcher @ 04/24/10 12:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverines05
i understand what you're saying, but how could you make the playcall screen not take over the presentation. you could tell that russ was def. skipping cutscenes, and specifically that replay, which then cuts to the playcall screen. (which is really slick actually and less obtrusive than last years) i dont get how avoid having the playcall screen disrupting presentation unless you force the user to watch the real time post play/ cutscenes/replays. as for me, i would def. sit through all the presentation elements.
This has been done properly countless times in the past in other games (see all 2K football games), including EA Football games this generation such as NCAA 07 and Madden 07. The cut scene or post-play would play and you the user can interrupt it yourself by pressing 'A'. If you want to watch it it'll play without the playcall screen interrupting it.

That was the right approach, but for whatever reason they threw good common sense out the window and now you have presentation but it's ruined and made irrelevant by their own design.

Quote:
Unless of course the playcall screen comes up regardless of the user skipping the presentation... then i would understand your frustration.
It does, just like it did last year in both EA football games. It's not happening because Russ is skipping, it's happening because of the way it was designed, and that means there has been no change from last year in this area despite the fact that they are pushing presentation. It's like taking a bath and then jumping right back into a pile of mud right after, you just defeat the purpose of the effort.

# 45 NDIrish98 @ 04/24/10 12:42 AM
this video changed how i felt about this game in just one day. yesterday, when the gameplay video came out, i just came off as, "ah, looks about like last yrs, if not worse." but after seeing this video, i'm pretty excited about it now. i personally have always thought that NCAA was always better than Madden in looks and gameplay. looks like this yr will be no different. NICE!!

# 46 Wolverines05 @ 04/24/10 12:45 AM
Quote:
Same gripe I have with Madden... why go through all the effort of putting these presentation elements into the game if you're just going to ruin it by allowing it to be interrupted with the playcall screen? it especially kills me that it happens with scenes that are only going to last 3 seconds tops.

^^^ What's the point of that?

But above just that glaring mistake in design, it boggles my mind that they'd do it to a replay of all things (you see it happen in the brief replay shown in the video)...

... a replay? Seriously guys? The very idea of a replay is so the viewer can, ya know, SEE THE PLAY?! I guess the word obstruction is just not in their vocabulary

They just don't get it. They simply don't get it
i was also just looking at some 2k5 videos, and they showed the whole presentation package, but it was located in the bottom fourth of the screen. so i guess i know what you're talking about, but i would much rather see the presentation full screen. what bothers me is that the play called from the computer takes up almost the top half of the screen, where the essential info needed from the computer could maybe be displayed in, idk, below your own playcall screen. (much smaller playcall screen obviously for computer that takes maybe a bar of space just below your own playcall screen) idk if that makes sense to you, but i get what you're getting at lol.

i will say that i didn't like seeing the presentation in 2k5 in just a lower fourth of the screen, but def. something needs to be done to help make the presentation the focus of the screen

OOO, and one more thing, do you think that it is possible for the dev. team to change this? and my guess is that because madden is going for quicker games, the designers want the playcall screen to come up as fast as possible so users don't need to "waste" any time watching "unnecessary" presentation. just my guess as to why they decided to do that.

Easy solution however. just simply create an option for this. so, lets say in online games, make it default where playcall comes up immediately b/c most people don't want to wait to pick their play. essentially, just have an option for this for those of us, like you and me, who loooove good presentation.

# 47 moylan1234 @ 04/24/10 12:48 AM
I doubt very much the playcall menu will be over replays when the game ships I'm sure that's just a glitch

# 48 SageInfinite @ 04/24/10 12:49 AM
I liked what I saw. The presentation is improved but the game still doesn't resemble a broadcast with the pre and post play cameras. Still have to wait to see the replays. I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to presentation EA just doesn't get it.

The game looks pretty nice though. Can't wait to pick it up used.

# 49 TheWatcher @ 04/24/10 01:00 AM
Quote:
i was also just looking at some 2k5 videos, and they showed the whole presentation package, but it was located in the bottom fourth of the screen. so i guess i know what you're talking about, but i would much rather see the presentation full screen. what bothers me is that the play called from the computer takes up almost the top half of the screen, where the essential info needed from the computer could maybe be displayed in, idk, below your own playcall screen. (much smaller playcall screen obviously for computer that takes maybe a bar of space just below your own playcall screen) idk if that makes sense to you, but i get what you're getting at lol.

i will say that i didn't like seeing the presentation in 2k5 in just a lower fourth of the screen, but def. something needs to be done to help make the presentation the focus of the screen
Well, in 2K5 the cut scenes or replays only played in a lower 4th if you pressed 'A'. They always played full screen if you didn't. You had a choice (I have it on now as confirmation of that). But 2K really understood this stuff so it was never a problem with them.

With EA football games, you have no choice but to watch a botched scene. It's really a shame. They can do better than this.

# 50 TreyIM2 @ 04/24/10 01:00 AM
This is definitely the best vid yet. This game looks incredible. Minor gripe about locomotion not looking like it was in effect on a run up the middle and a sideline catch where dude said he didn't read the coverage right but got lucky.
Yet, again, the game looks incredible. Can't wait to get onto that demo but this is a definite purchase, day one.

# 51 TheWatcher @ 04/24/10 01:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I liked what I saw. The presentation is improved but the game still doesn't resemble a broadcast with the pre and post play cameras. Still have to wait to see the replays. I've come to the conclusion that when it comes to presentation EA just doesn't get it.

The game looks pretty nice though. Can't wait to pick it up used.
There is a replay that starts at 7:07 and it looks like it would've been hot, but the playcall screen is covering it.

# 52 TheWatcher @ 04/24/10 01:07 AM
Quote:
the designers want the playcall screen to come up as fast as possible so users don't need to "waste" any time watching "unnecessary" presentation. just my guess as to why they decided to do that.
I agree and that's the flaw in their thinking. That's why they don't get it. There was already a "solution"... pressing 'A'. What they're doing now is just ruining their presentation, but they seem to not understand this at all.

# 53 SageInfinite @ 04/24/10 01:07 AM
Quote:
There is a replay that starts at 7:07 and it looks like it would've been hot, but the playcall screen is covering it.
I thought the same exact thing. Hopefully he pressed the button.

# 54 TheWatcher @ 04/24/10 01:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
I doubt very much the playcall menu will be over replays when the game ships I'm sure that's just a glitch
I'd hope so, but given how they approach presentation I wouldn't be so sure.

# 55 moylan1234 @ 04/24/10 01:08 AM
Quote:
I'm sure it only covered it because he was pressing A at least that's how it was in '10

# 56 Wolverines05 @ 04/24/10 01:09 AM
Quote:
I edited my last post, but basically, EA should make it an option for whether or not the playcall screen comes up during presentation elements. this would be good for those who want to enjoy what EA put a lot of time into this year,(presentation) and it would be good to the casual gamers who are looking to jump straight into their next play. considering its madden's goal to be quicker, having the playcall screen come up immediately during the presentation elements actually makes sense, even if it makes for a less authentic game. but at least have it as an option.

watcher, were you at community day? i know you were at the last one, just not sure. im guessing youve talked to the dev team about this. also, do you think this "option" could be implemented before release?

# 57 stoncold32 @ 04/24/10 01:11 AM
negatives:

-The camera still gives away the play. :-( In other words, you know if it's going to be a pass or a run based on whether or not the camera zooms out. Thus PA passes are somewhat non-effective. I really wish they'd have fixed that.

- Also, did it seem like the cpu did or didnt predictable snap the ball at the same time?

Other than that, it looks really good.

# 58 TheWatcher @ 04/24/10 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
I thought the same exact thing. Hopefully he pressed the button.
I was thinking that, too. But then I remembered something... in every sports game I can think of (and certainly EA football games) if you pressed 'A' during replay the replay ends. So if he had pressed there would've been no replay at all. Instead, the replay played but the playcall screen covered it by design. There is something else I wish I could mention about this but the NDA with Madden prevents it. However, I will say that they need to sit down and get their minds right with their concept design for presentation. A lot of these issues are fixable, they just need to exercise some common sense.

EDIT: Moylan says the playcall screen comes up on replays only if you press in NCAA 10. I'll have to take his word for it since I couldn't stomach the game past demo. Unfortunately, that still doesn't eliminate the other coverage problems.

# 59 Rocky @ 04/24/10 01:14 AM
That looks improved. The run blocking AI finally seems to be working this year.

Presentation camera angles still need some work. Also the OL/DL interaction on pass plays seems to get worse every year.

# 60 TheWatcher @ 04/24/10 01:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by moylan55
I'm sure it only covered it because he was pressing A at least that's how it was in '10
Well, in Madden 10 it came up whether you pressed or not and they share the same timer properties for their playcall screen. But you may have a better sampling of it with NCAA 10 than I would, since I gave up on NCAA 10 after playing the demo.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.