Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Kotaku has posted their hands-on impressions of Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
"If you'd like to play video game football but you stink at it, don't worry. The next Madden will put a voice in your ear, telling you how to excel.

Kotaku recently had the opportunity to try the "Gameflow" feature of this summer's Madden NFL 11. It is the latest tool concocted by the Madden makers at Electronic Arts to make the game more accessible to those who have not kept up with the series' 20-some iterations. It's something the series has needed, given stagnating sales and, from what EA says, a growing crowd of both lapsed Madden gamers and those, like the author of this post, who just can't seem to get into the game because they can't get good at it.

The Gameflow feature in Madden NFL 10 is optional and is overlaid atop the standard football games that anyone will play off of EA's disc. It's not a special mode of football. It's an aid for playing classic video game football. With Gameflow activated, the feature picks football plays for the Madden gamer at every moment where a play is necessary — be it offense, defense, the time when you need to punt, go for fourth down or prepare for a blitz. The feature tells you which play you will do next — out loud — if you have a headset plugged in, and even sketches the play and highlights the best way to execute it in red, so that you can never be an awful Madden player again."

Next Madden May Solve Game's Notorious Difficulty Problem

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 roadman @ 04/26/10 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodriggo
Why would I want to call plays before a game starts?
If you are a sim player, teams study films on Monday and Gameplan on Tuesdays or Wednesdays.

On Thursdays and Fridays, it's usually walkthrough's of the Gameplan you are calling.

# 22 roadman @ 04/26/10 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodriggo
What does Madden have to do with real-life?

Gameplanning for Madden? WTF? That's funny.

You do that automatically already anyway based on the players on your team and you're familiarity with the playbook.

Walk me through how "Gameflow" would work exactly. You pick plays for hypothetical situations in the future? Why? I don't have a Madden playbook on my arm, it's in beautiful HD and I can cruise through all of it in seconds. What's the benefit?
My advice would be to go back to the usual way of playing. If you don't enjoy the offensive and defensive coordinators calling the plays that you picked studying your opponent the week before, this feature is not for you.

# 23 Klocker @ 04/26/10 01:23 PM
Quote:
Walk me through how "Gameflow" would work exactly. You pick plays for hypothetical situations in the future? Why? I don't have a Madden playbook on my arm, it's in beautiful HD and I can cruise through all of it in seconds. What's the benefit?
rodriggo, I have no interest in selling you on this feature. I was merely pointing out that your argument for not liking it was flawed. there are many reasons (as you can read in each of the hands-on) why many (most?) of us will end up liking this feature.

As roadman said above... if it's not for you... simply turn it off.

# 24 Hova57 @ 04/26/10 01:25 PM
the only thing that scares me about this is the jackoff who would gameplan screens thru out their entire playbook.

# 25 CreatineKasey @ 04/26/10 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
the only thing that scares me about this is the jackoff who would gameplan screens thru out their entire playbook.
Why? They could call screens manually and get the same result.

# 26 Klocker @ 04/26/10 01:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boregard
I am not a jackoff!!!

Just kidding, I feel what you are saying - you are gonna get some jerk who has too much time on his hands and is gonna figure out how to manipulate this feature to do the same crap they did online last year!!!

yea you can not have choices in a video game AND fix stupid.

# 27 Hova57 @ 04/26/10 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Why? They could call screens manually and get the same result.
true , i guess you wouldn't know if they manually or gameplanned . still i guess its there loss.

i also wonder will we have back global playbook

# 28 lgxjames @ 04/26/10 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71
Unreal. They made a method of gameplanning and the calling play formula simpler with more AI of your coordinator involved based on different game situations. Not to mention you can turn off the feature completely, and people are still bickering.
exactly...

so we've gotten a piece of the simpler, a little bit of the quicker...But Hmmm Deeper??? sounds like a franchise/presentation thing

# 29 Bgamer90 @ 04/26/10 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
No, but there's been no talk of custom playbooks to date.
Still doesn't mean they won't be in.

Some of you guys may be complaining over things that are already in the game but just haven't been announced yet.

# 30 Hova57 @ 04/26/10 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamehead
Joe, I believe you’re hitting at the heart of what’s confusing to me about the appeal of this feature (if I’m understanding it correctly):

You say “it puts the AI of your coordinator into the game whereas it was non-existent in previous Madden releases”.

The way I see it, we acted as our own coordinator in previous releases. Meaning, the differences for sim-oriented players might be as follows:

Madden ’10:
1) Scout next opponent’s depth chart for potential mismatches and make mental note of which plays you’d call most to take advantage of those.

2) Fire up game, call play, execute play.

Madden ’11:
1) Scout next opponent’s depth chart for potential mismatches and enter bank of plays you’d have the cpu call most to take advantage of those.

2) Fire up game, have cpu call play, execute play.

So while I might formulate a “favorites” list of sorts based on opponent and situation, the cpu is calling the play in-game, I’m just executing it.

Isn’t part of the fun in Madden actually calling the plays in-game? Yes I realize your getting the “laminated play-call sheet” ready ahead of time, but isn’t this a more tuned version of “Ask Madden” based on pre-defined criteria?

Not knocking anyone who likes it (or even trying to debate its usefulness), just earnestly trying to understand the appeal based on what we know at the moment.
this is where i wish they would just come out with all the details about it. something tells me this is incorporated into franchise some how.

# 31 roadman @ 04/26/10 03:37 PM
Quote:
Joe, I believe you’re hitting at the heart of what’s confusing to me about the appeal of this feature (if I’m understanding it correctly):

You say “it puts the AI of your coordinator into the game whereas it was non-existent in previous Madden releases”.

The way I see it, we acted as our own coordinator in previous releases. Meaning, the differences for sim-oriented players might be as follows:

Madden ’10:
1) Scout next opponent’s depth chart for potential mismatches and make mental note of which plays you’d call most to take advantage of those.

2) Fire up game, call play, execute play.

Madden ’11:
1) Scout next opponent’s depth chart for potential mismatches and enter bank of plays you’d have the cpu call most to take advantage of those.

2) Fire up game, have cpu call play, execute play.

So while I might formulate a “favorites” list of sorts based on opponent and situation, the cpu is calling the play in-game, I’m just executing it.

Isn’t part of the fun in Madden actually calling the plays in-game? Yes I realize your getting the “laminated play-call sheet” ready ahead of time, but isn’t this a more tuned version of “Ask Madden” based on pre-defined criteria?

Not knocking anyone who likes it (or even trying to debate its usefulness), just earnestly trying to understand the appeal based on what we know at the moment.
As I understand, EA went around and asked coaches and players about the playcalling.(based on the ESPN videogames article)

The coaches and players told EA no one has 300 plays called during one game.
Seems like they did their research in that area.

The difference between 10 and 11 is that EA scouted the tendencies on yardage and down situations on 11.

It was more random based on other Maddens.

# 32 coogrfan @ 04/26/10 04:30 PM
Quote:
I hear you. Until I see it in action (and the more I read), it has a feel to me of simply being a robust, customizable “Ask Madden”, regardless of the label or marketing term.

Almost as if EA (in their goal of courting and attracting casual gamers) set out to give “Ask Madden” a facelift to provide more emphasis on the feature and say to the casual masses “see, it’s easier now more than ever!” to increase sales.

The question then arises, how do you spin it to the less casual, sim-oriented without angering them, since it’s an obvious move to garner more casual players?

Answer: you call it “gameplanning”, because you now customize the plays that are given to you by the cpu instead of it being random. Only now, you call the cpu the “coordinator”.

That’s the conspiracy theorist in me. I’ll give it a shot and if I don’t like it, I’ll just turn it off, no harm, no foul.
See, I just don't understand how any of that can be seen as bad.

# 33 Valdarez @ 04/26/10 04:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgamer90
Still doesn't mean they won't be in.

Some of you guys may be complaining over things that are already in the game but just haven't been announced yet.
If it is in the game, then they have done a poor job releasing information. You should lead with the small items that fans requested such as customized playbooks and in game saves, before releasing ground breaking features such as GameFlow that appear to try to solve aspects of the same problem that fans were asking to be addressed.

# 34 Jukeman @ 04/26/10 05:32 PM
Whether or not its a revamped ask madden..

its a step in the right direction...Ask Madden needed to be fix since it was called ask coach back in 2000.... nothing is bad about the news

# 35 NoTiCe_O @ 04/26/10 05:37 PM
I can see that Gameflow is NOT just an upgraded ask Madden.

The developers took info and statistics on what Teams like to run in certain situations IRL: 1st and 10, 2nd and long, 3rd and short, 3rd and long etc. Not only that but they actually watched game film of every individual teams offense/defense and how they play throughout a real life game.

Then based on the situation in Madden 11 (3rd and long, 2nd and inches) they have an upgraded A.I (O.C) call a play that the team would actually call in that situation IRL. Without going into any playcall screens. Then if you want you can set up your own gameplan (turning you into the coach) and have to ability to decide what plays the cpu (O.C) calls in those same situations (3rd and long/short, 1st and 10 etc.) based on what plays you choose and are comfortable with and know how to execute. That's sim IMO, and more than just a upgraded Ask Madden

This can open up so many possibilities for the strategical element in Franchise mode, you could scout other teams offenses and defenses, and know what plays they run the most in certain situations, like real life. Get an idea of how you should set up your gameplan for the next game, what plays you should keep/take out. I remember a certain madden having the ability to look at your opponent for the weeks most run plays before you went into the game in Franchise mode.

I think we're in for a good franchise mode this year with Gameflow and the presentation upgrades. Things like cut scenes of Peyton Manning getting off the bus to head into the Stadium like one article described is just another piece to add that realism.

Gameflow is an excellent idea IMO, and is something that i will definitely be using this year. Watch out for me online my gameplan is going to be something serious. Bill Bellicheck-esque

Not to mention: (YOU CAN TURN IT OFF!)

# 36 Jukeman @ 04/26/10 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTiCe_O
I can see that Gameflow is NOT just an upgraded ask Madden.

The developers took info and statistics on what Teams like to run in certain situations IRL: 1st and 10, 2nd and long, 3rd and short, 3rd and long etc. Not only that but they actually watched game film of every individual teams offense/defense and how they play throughout a real life game.

Then based on the situation in Madden 11 (3rd and long, 2nd and inches) they have an upgraded A.I (O.C) call a play that the team would actually call in that situation IRL. Without going into any playcall screens. Then if you want you can set up your own gameplan (turning you into the coach) and have to ability to decide what plays the cpu (O.C) calls in those same situations (3rd and long/short, 1st and 10 etc.) based on what plays you choose and are comfortable with and know how to execute. That's sim IMO, and more than just a upgraded Ask Madden

This can open up so many possibilities for the strategical element in Franchise mode, you could scout other teams offenses and defenses, and know what plays they run the most in certain situations, like real life. Get an idea of how you should set up your gameplan for the next game, what plays you should keep/take out. I remember a certain madden having the ability to look at your opponent for the weeks most run plays before you went into the game in Franchise mode.

I think we're in for a good franchise mode this year with Gameflow and the presentation upgrades. Things like cut scenes of Peyton Manning getting off the bus to head into the Stadium like one article described is just another piece to add that realism.

Gameflow is an excellent idea IMO, and is something that i will definitely be using this year. Watch out for me online my gameplan is going to be something serious. Bill Bellicheck-esque

Not to mention: (YOU CAN TURN IT OFF!)
Not to mention that if all this info can be translated into how the CPU plays...

People just need a "Strategy Pad"

# 37 NoTiCe_O @ 04/26/10 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Not to mention that if all this info can be translated into how the CPU plays...

People just need a "Strategy Pad"
Yea, that's another point I was gonna talk about but i guess my mind wandered off writing that. The CPU wil not play like the CPU but rather like the NFL team it has control of. This also makes Franchise mode different every week because you have to know actual football tendencies and how teams run their offense/defense IRL.

I hope that the hiring of a new Head coach or O.C/D.C actually effects the gameplan in a sense that you run a different offense with a different coach, and a different O.C/D.C would call plays much differently from oneanother.

# 38 Blkcanes @ 04/26/10 07:36 PM
I do not know if this has been ask already, sorry if it has, did you notice interference calls while the ball was in the air? last years version I don't think I never notice OPI, is it called often, DPI that is, any new rules that we hear on Sundays that were not in the game before?

# 39 NoTiCe_O @ 04/26/10 08:11 PM
Quote:
Semantics, IMHO. To me, you just described a more robust, customizable "Ask Madden" at its core. Any time the cpu is choosing the play for me in-game, it's "Ask Madden"--I'm just defining the parameters.

If Gameflow is being used to choose plays for my cpu opponent, great! I can see how that would be advantageous.
Well Ask Madden was kinda random, in clutch situations it would tell me to kick a field goal from my 40 yrd line, when im down by 3, knowing that I could never hit it.

Gameflow actually takes into account the real factors that an offennsive coordinator would take into account, while using the actual plays the offensive coordinator would call. So I see it as much more than an ask Madden, more like an "Ask the Coordinator based on plays that we know how to execute and run because that's what real teams do."

# 40 NoTiCe_O @ 04/26/10 08:34 PM
Quote:
Noted. But how does that differ from you acting as the coordinator yourself? Do you just like the idea of the play chosen for you?

(Not looking to debate or argue or anything, just trying to understand the appeal.)
I think it differs because I'm not spending time in the menus and I can focus on just thinking about execution, like real QB's do.

I just like the idea because every year I search through about every team playbook and find that perfect playbook for me (Minnesota this year) and I always go into every online game with a mental gameplan (or know what plays I wanna call, and when) but sometimes I take so much time scrolling through formations I end up choosing only like the same 4-6 plays because I can't remember exactly where they are or i'll forget about one of my good plays, because i don't want the accelerated clock get to low so I can read the D.

With gameplan I feel like I can put my plays in and have the my coordinator call the plays when I would usually call them but without the fumbling and bumbling thru the playbook at a fast pace, I like that thers no playcall screen just all on field and cut scenes and i can just play naturally and focus on execution.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.