Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

IGN has posted their hands-on impressions of Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
"Not only does GameFlow allow players to move quickly through a game, but it also gives new weight and importance to the coaches you hire. This is probably what has me most excited about GameFlow. For the longest time your offensive and defensive coordinator hiring practices didn't amount to much. Now those coaches will be responsible for picking the plays on their respective sides of the ball. If you pick a guy who loves to air it out, chances are he could call a play action pass when it was a sweep to the right that would've gotten you the first down. Finally the minds that power a football team will matter in Madden.

How did all of this translate onto the field? Pretty damn well. The game was noticeably faster, something that was accentuated by the new ability to tap A through every presentation element (including things like measuring for a first down and discussing a touchdown) to get right back to the action. EA Sports has also removed the redundant camera pans that, while cool at first, really didn't add much more than time to a game. I like that EA Sports isn't totally eliminating the option to choose a play from the full playbook, but I really think that once players see GameFlow in action that it's going to be what they used most."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 lgxjames @ 04/26/10 10:34 PM
hey your like the inside man...just a shame they all say the same thing

# 2 NoTiCe_O @ 04/26/10 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgxjames
hey your like the inside man...just a shame they all say the same thing
Lol, yea i guess you could say that. The fact that your Offensive/Defensive Coaches make a dif. is new information though. This will help in your decision when hiring coaches in the offseason of franchise mode. Also could make a big difference in how well you do in Franchise if you actually use the Gameflow that is. I know I will be.

# 3 RGiles36 @ 04/26/10 10:49 PM
Quote:
Not only does GameFlow allow players to move quickly through a game, but it also gives new weight and importance to the coaches you hire. This is probably what has me most excited about GameFlow. For the longest time your offensive and defensive coordinator hiring practices didn't amount to much. Now those coaches will be responsible for picking the plays on their respective sides of the ball. If you pick a guy who loves to air it out, chances are he could call a play action pass when it was a sweep to the right that would've gotten you the first down. Finally the minds that power a football team will matter in Madden.
If this is true...

# 4 lolfalconsbeatu @ 04/26/10 11:01 PM
keep'em comin OP, thanks for the post, cant get enough of any of the news.

# 5 dmick4324 @ 04/27/10 12:03 AM
Wow. I don't know if I'll setup my gameplan myself or allow my coordinator to work his magic. I think it would be more realistic if I let the coordinator do it and then if I decide to fire him I'd have to adapt to a different style. Not sure all I know is I can't wait to try this.

# 6 Maximus205 @ 04/27/10 12:19 AM
Surprised no one has mention this huge tidbit. This year in franchise it matters who you pick up at the coaching position. Rejoice Franchise fiends Rejoice!!

Exerpt from the IGN article:

Quote:
"Not only does GameFlow allow players to move quickly through a game, but it also gives new weight and importance to the coaches you hire. This is probably what has me most excited about GameFlow. For the longest time your offensive and defensive coordinator hiring practices didn't amount to much. Now those coaches will be responsible for picking the plays on their respective sides of the ball. If you pick a guy who loves to air it out, chances are he could call a play action pass when it was a sweep to the right that would've gotten you the first down. Finally the minds that power a football team will matter in Madden."

# 7 Valdarez @ 04/27/10 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgiles36
If this is true...
Sounds good in theory, but I would hate it in practice. That entire quote doesn't match up with everything we have heard about being able to edit the game plan. I think we have another quality IGN article on our hands.

# 8 NoTiCe_O @ 04/27/10 12:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Sounds good in theory, but I would hate it in practice. That entire quote doesn't match up with everything we have heard about being able to edit the game plan. I think we have another quality IGN article on our hands.
How doesn't it match up?

You can edit what certain plays you want in certain situations, meaning you can have more than one 3rd and short play, 2nd and long play, 1st and 10 play. But its up to the coordinator to decide which play you have to execute.
A more passing type of Offensive coach might want you to go for a play action on 3rd and short to fool the D. So instead of that halfback dive you put in your gameplan for 3rd and short situations, he might run the play action you put in their (if you happened to put one in). They're not going to call a play you didn't put in your gameplan, unless your using the teams plays

# 9 DoubleIt5 @ 04/27/10 01:09 AM
Very nice.

# 10 I Peench @ 04/27/10 01:11 AM
Now just make these various schemes coordinators have matter in terms of player development and progression.

# 11 cam21224 @ 04/27/10 02:12 AM
Much like real NFL teams, players will now have the ability to prepare their playbooks each and every week throughout a season. If you're facing the Packers in Week 2, chances are you're not going to load up on running plays for use on third and short thanks to their tough run defense.

I wonder if we use gameflow would the coach change things like that up(depending on the opponet) all throughout the season/franchise if we didn't want to do it our self?

# 12 brza37 @ 04/27/10 04:18 AM
Cool! Hopefully players will have to learn the playbooks too to execute better like in HC 09 so you can't change coordinators every year without a penalty.

# 13 Valdarez @ 04/27/10 04:30 AM
I don't buy it. You can't have it matter AND have the ability to edit it. It's either one or the other. So far all but one have said edit. I have a feeling that writer (which was IGN, the most untrustworthy game review site out there) made it up.

# 14 RGiles36 @ 04/27/10 08:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
You can't have it matter AND have the ability to edit it. It's either one or the other.
So what else can you tell me about Gameflow? You sir, apparently have all the answers.

# 15 ryan36 @ 04/27/10 08:41 AM
I believe there will be AI tendencies, done better than before...

But how much better, and how it's implemented... I'll wait til release to judge. I don't have a lot of faith in this one.

# 16 JMD @ 04/27/10 08:52 AM
I really hope this Gameflow feature works. I for one will enjoy creating a game plan for each week of the season in my franchise. It will give more life to the game, and more realism, again, if it works. I say if it works because Ask Madden plays never made much sense to me, they are usually horrible calls. So my hope is that the Gameflow A.I. will be smarter then the Ask Madden A.I. and actually pick a play that fits the situation.

# 17 roadman @ 04/27/10 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
I really hope this Gameflow feature works. I for one will enjoy creating a game plan for each week of the season in my franchise. It will give more life to the game, and more realism, again, if it works. I say if it works because Ask Madden plays never made much sense to me, they are usually horrible calls. So my hope is that the Gameflow A.I. will be smarter then the Ask Madden A.I. and actually pick a play that fits the situation.
Exactly.

I think the big difference is the Madden team studied film of each teams tendency's on different downs and yardage situations. At least, that's what a couple previewers stated for game flow.

# 18 RaiderKtulu @ 04/27/10 09:10 AM
Based on everything I've read about this gameflow thing, it isn't for most of the OS crowd. It's a way to make the casual gamer to use more than 10 plays and shorten the game time by chopping out a few seconds between plays. It isn't going to stop cheesers, and it isn't going to really help anyone that already knows what they want to do, in fact it may end up annoying those people. Example - 3rd and 1 is typically a running down... but if you've been having trouble running during a game, is going to still call the run, or will it change it up because of past failures? Or... is it easier to just call it yourself and not worry about how smart it may or may not be?

Not to mention how long it'll take before the accusations of CPU cheating and comeback codes start up because following Gameflow results in a pick 6 or a sack at a crucial moment.

# 19 ODogg @ 04/27/10 09:16 AM
Raider - that last sentence is golden, mark it down cuz that's money man. Or as they'd say on Seinfeld "That's gold Jerry...GOLD!"

# 20 econoodle @ 04/27/10 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD

i guess John Madden is now 100 % out of the game now..
Boom!

i like the coaches u hire affecting game calling.
thats something i never even really gave thought to.
We'd hire a coach and the team woud still feel the same cause we'd pick the plays, even tho that coach might have a totally different philosophy.

For those that use game gameflow, this willl add some much needed depth and fun to 11.
if it pans out as EA intends.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.