Home
Tecmo Bowl Throwback News Post

Tecmo Bowl Throwback is now available on the Marketplace and should be available for the PS3 tomorrow. Post your impressions here.

Game: Tecmo Bowl ThrowbackReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 9 - View All
Member Comments
# 21 centauris @ 04/28/10 08:27 AM
update: We can not change playbooks for online play.

and I do not see an option to play 2D online?

anyone?

I thought they said we could play 2D vs 2D online

# 22 CreatineKasey @ 04/28/10 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by centauris
yes they are.. I did a test with Favre. it showed for me. but I don't know about my opponent. i'm winning 39-0
It's exactly the same game. I remember it. I played hundreds of hours of the genesis version which is very similar. It's got a bit tighter defense and overall less extremes than the NES version. It's one of the reasons why the NES version is considered superior by me: true superstars in the game. This game has pretty modest ratings everywhere. There's very few monster standouts like TSB on the NES.

Anyway, it's still got great gameplay and will be a treat to play online against others. It'll be *slightly* less extreme than the NES version in terms of big plays and wacky outcomes. They still exist, no doubt, but in smaller quantities.

Other quick questions: NG dive = in or out?

Do we have time to edit our playbook during an online match? If not, does anyone know how to edit playbooks and save them?

EDIT: Have you tried the menu option in game to edit the playbook? There's an option to do it in single player.

# 23 centauris @ 04/28/10 08:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
It's exactly the same game. I remember it. I played hundreds of hours of the genesis version which is very similar. It's got a bit tighter defense and overall less extremes than the NES version. It's one of the reasons why the NES version is considered superior by me: true superstars in the game. This game has pretty modest ratings everywhere. There's very few monster standouts like TSB on the NES.

Anyway, it's still got great gameplay and will be a treat to play online against others. It'll be *slightly* less extreme than the NES version in terms of big plays and wacky outcomes. They still exist, no doubt, but in smaller quantities.

Other quick questions: NG dive = in or out?

Do we have time to edit our playbook during an online match? If not, does anyone know how to edit playbooks and save them?
I play the NES in leagues and stuff.. but i'm really enjoying this.

the NT seems to get blocked when you try it. that's good.

I can not see a way to edit playbooks for online matches.

The option does not exist when you are playing.. and I don't see the option in settings.

EDIT: The menu option does not exist in Online play

# 24 Skyliner80 @ 04/28/10 08:40 AM
This is in essence the SNES TSB....which does have the jump catch cut scene..i believe it's from birds-eye view. I don't know if it has the WR/CB jump-ball like in the NES TSB (which had way better cut scenes). As long as I've played TSB(SNES), I'd never seen the double jump-ball. Does anyone know whether or not the 16-bit cut scenes have a current graphical counterpart? Or does the switch to 3D have it's own animations?

# 25 elgreazy1 @ 04/28/10 08:53 AM
MAN! I love this game. Simple, easy, fun and for $10 why not? I know I'm not getting a deep SIM here but just a basic game.

My only gripe at this point is when it comes to editing players' names in that you can't tell who you're editing. The Season Mode has some nice menus for roster management that helps you figure out who is who - also it breaks down every player's strengths & weaknesses - but from the Main Menu you merely see players and positions. For example: I accidentally made Emmitt as Johnston and vise versa, had to exit my game, go back, re-edit. Not horrible, but merely having the player's number next to his name would help leaps and bounds in editing.

By they way is there a way to share rosters or do we need to manually go in and input it ourselves?

# 26 Brandwin @ 04/28/10 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
Jump Ball - when a pass is overthrown, on the old version, occasionally you'd get a cutscene where both receiver and defender go up for the ball. I don't think anyone can say they don't exist yet though, they didn't happen that much.

On the safety, it was a ball that was caught in the endzone, and I stood there and got tackled. Maybe you have to push a button to kneel, not sure. Had them kick one past the endzone and it worked properly. I could've sworn the original game turned it into a touchback as soon as it crossed the line though. Maybe I'm thinking NES instead of SNES.
Well, it should be a touchback no matter what.

Ah, okay. I remember the cutscene, I was thinking an actual way to jump. I was going to say, I don't remember that.
As far as playbooks, I could change plays during a single player game, not sure about before or during online play.

# 27 CallMeDrop @ 04/28/10 08:58 AM
If you can edit rosters online...who's gonna be the guy that turns this game into Tecmo Bowl 2010? We need this!

# 28 ExtremeGamer @ 04/28/10 09:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropseven
If you can edit rosters online...who's gonna be the guy that turns this game into Tecmo Bowl 2010? We need this!
You can edit names, not numbers or ratings.

And there's 28 teams, not 32.

So it's not really possible.

# 29 elgreazy1 @ 04/28/10 09:04 AM
Yeah, make no sense to give players current info, but it's doable. To each their own, honestly.

And no, we're the Wesley CRUSHERS not the Wesley Crushers.

# 30 CallMeDrop @ 04/28/10 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeGamer

Darnit! That sux. I'll probably just stick to my NES ROM 2010 then. Unless someone can find a way!

# 31 boomhauertjs @ 04/28/10 09:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderKtulu
You can't change the colors of the teams, just the names, and it doesn't effect the field graphics. So if you change Los Angeles to Oakland, the endzone still says Los Angeles.
At least Browns fans can feel better that Ravens fans won't get to see Baltimore in their endzones even if they change the team to the Ravens.

# 32 Brandwin @ 04/28/10 09:08 AM
Quote:

Numbers are fairly accurate though, right? Seemed like it with San Francisco, although I didn't pay close attention.

# 33 Brandwin @ 04/28/10 09:08 AM
Is it cheese in leagues to use the nose guard or something?

Wasn't there a dive button on defense or in the past? I couldn't figure it out...

# 34 Brandwin @ 04/28/10 09:12 AM
What kind of stats are tracked?

I'll probably do a season and have people sign up for a position and change their name on the game and have everyone else with default rosters. IE DookieMowf at FB, ExtremeGamer at QB etc...

Is there a way to reset the roster?

I'm guessing online rosters only show up on the persons system, if I edit my roster, someone else will not see it, correct?

# 35 ExtremeGamer @ 04/28/10 09:14 AM
Yeah, under edit rosters you can click reset and goes back to normal. The numbers seem exact to 1993.

# 36 bjf1377 @ 04/28/10 09:35 AM
Quote:
Initial impressions, it's awesome.

It plays just like it did. I love the 3D visuals, but if you press RB, you can change to the old school graphics on the fly. Very cool.

It is exactly the old rosters with new names, I only looked quick but couldn't find Jacksonville, Carolina, Baltimore, or Houston (Texans). The Titans are in Houston, the Rams are in Los Angeles, and the Cardinals are listed as Phoenix instead of Arizona.
Have you used Cleveland and fake Eric Metcalf yet?

# 37 ExtremeGamer @ 04/28/10 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf1377
Have you used Cleveland and fake Eric Metcalf yet?
Yeah, I'm having a blast with it.

# 38 Mintsa @ 04/28/10 09:42 AM
As long as you can re-name the 1993 rosters to the correct players and actually carry that over to online matches......this is an buy for me !

# 39 Brandwin @ 04/28/10 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintsa
As long as you can re-name the 1993 rosters to the correct players and actually carry that over to online matches......this is an buy for me !
You can.

# 40 Mintsa @ 04/28/10 09:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DookieMowf
You can.

Nice !

Is there an option to share rosters ???

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.