Home
NCAA Football 11 News Post

Gameinformer has posted NCAA Football 11: Making a Monument. In this article they show TCF Bank Stadium, which makes its debut in NCAA Football 11. The studio gives us a sneak peak at what it looks like in the game and discusses how the team took its raw photos and turned them into a virtual stadium.

Quote:
"The team works on to make sure the final wireframe (created in the 3D program Maya) is an accurate model before it gets put into the game proper, including representing all the trees as rectangles. When compared to the shot above, notice how the buildings immediately around the stadium are modeled as opposed to the some of the horizon landmarks further in the distance, which have been omitted entirely. This will be relevant later when the team determines the in-game stadium's entire background."

Game: NCAA Football 11Reader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: iPhone / PS2 / PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 83 - View All
NCAA Football 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 vatechfan44 @ 04/28/10 06:10 PM
looks great, thanks for the link and nice find

# 2 Dr Death @ 04/28/10 06:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatechfan44
looks great, thanks for the link and nice find
I'll say this... the sky looks awesome in those photos. Hopefully weather will actually play a role in the game this year.

# 3 str8artist @ 04/28/10 06:42 PM
The detail is amazing.

# 4 NikB13 @ 04/28/10 07:05 PM
Spot on with everything. Looks really well done

# 5 BenGerman @ 04/28/10 08:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdmo9999
Fans still look like crap
Nothing positive to say? I thought it looked nice, sure the fans are the same as always. But 90% of the sports games out there aren't able to progress in this region as well. Its just one of those things.

# 6 Jamin23 @ 04/28/10 08:12 PM
Quote:
Fans still look like crap
I don't think any game has great looking fans from afar, but than again I really don't pay that much attention to the fans so I may be wrong.

# 7 mrprice33 @ 04/28/10 08:36 PM
Quote:
NCAA Basketball has good looking fans. I think all the baseball games have good looking fans. Not sure about Madden. The hockey games have good looking fans. So do the NBA games.
perhaps because it is a closed in environment with about 19k fans in it, or maybe because there are 10-12 rendered players at any one time in basketball/hockey in comparison to 22 for football?

edit: oh, and lighting, shadowing, weather effects, etc that do not take place in an indoor arena.

# 8 Jamin23 @ 04/28/10 08:43 PM
Quote:
NCAA Basketball has good looking fans. I think all the baseball games have good looking fans. Not sure about Madden. The hockey games have good looking fans. So do the NBA games.
I can tell you the mlb 2k doesn't have good looking fans. The fans in the outfield and upper deck are 2D.

# 9 TracerBullet @ 04/28/10 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrprice33
perhaps because it is a closed in environment with about 19k fans in it, or maybe because there are 10-12 rendered players at any one time in basketball/hockey in comparison to 22 for football?

edit: oh, and lighting, shadowing, weather effects, etc that do not take place in an indoor arena.
When I looked at NBA 2k's fans at the tops of the arenas, I think they are just 2D. I figured that might factor into why their fans look so good.

# 10 CeltBhoy33 @ 04/28/10 08:48 PM
Quote:

The show has excellent fans.

# 11 canes21 @ 04/28/10 09:01 PM
Basketball games have great looking fans for the most part and so does every other sports game just about. NHL does, and it renders 22 players at a time also. Fifa also has good looking fans and it displays 11 vs 11 in stadiums twice the size of some NFL stadiums. That game has 3D grass too.

MLB 2k10 is the only sports game outside of football games that has bad looking fans.

# 12 Rivals @ 04/28/10 09:13 PM
Looks really good, especially the skyline. I don't think the Atlanta skyline was that detailed for Georgia Tech last season.

In terms of fans, The Show has has the best looking graphics, although I love the animations you see in NBA 2K along the baseline the most. On a large scale, the fans in the stands aren't going to be that detailed. That's what depth of field is all about. I would like to see more detail out of the fans, media and players on the sideline though. Photographers in the endzone, boosters cheering, coaches interacting with players etc. But I digress, the stadium looks tremendous.

# 13 canes21 @ 04/28/10 09:51 PM
Quote:
So basically, the front rows at places have 3D fans and the upper decks are 2D.

TAKE NOTES EA.

You guys could easily implement this into NCAA Football.
But we see the upper decks in football games 300% more than we do in basketball games. I don't recall ever seeing an upper deck in College Hoops 2k8, but I know I see the upper deck at least once a possession in Madden.

# 14 canes21 @ 04/28/10 10:07 PM
I'm tired of the crowd period. Lets just play in an empty stadium with noises of the crowd.

Just kidding, I think EA needs to use the tech behind Backbreaker crowd. I'm not saying they should use the tackling tech, just the tech behind the crowd that allows them to make the crowd react in real time and it allows for 90,000+ fans all in 3D and live action.

# 15 St3fN_sTrApS @ 04/28/10 10:09 PM
Spot on detail, looks amazing. I had a hard time idenifying the real photos from the games ha ha. Great job EA, looks sweet. Minnesota fans, congrats, finally got their stadium in and it looks fantastic!

# 16 Klocker @ 04/28/10 10:28 PM
Quote:
and they have used that excuse extensively.
you mean the excuse where these limited consoles only have so much memory and processing power and throughput to render everything, have audio and physics and 22 instances of AI

that excuse?

# 17 TreyIM2 @ 04/29/10 12:50 AM
The stadium looks great. I sometimes just marvel at the amount of detail games have, today. I remember playing on my Colecovision just DREAMING we'd get to this point in console gaming.

# 18 KANE699 @ 04/29/10 01:26 AM
Heh they pointed out the missing flag poles lol.

# 19 khaliib @ 04/29/10 02:08 AM
I think if they make the sidelines more busy, especially for big schools, it would add greatly to the atmosphere of the game. The emptiness of the sideline is a big eye sore when playing (catches near or running down the sideline). A crowded sideline makes it seem like there's alot going on (like in a real game).

I also hope dynamic crowds are exaggerated this year and fans wear appropriate weather gear.
And bring back the Blimps. They add to the great artwork you guys are doing.

Good job though!!!
Keep it comming.

# 20 Klocker @ 04/29/10 02:43 AM
Quote:
The whole "we're on next gen consoles now, we can't do that old stuff" one

yes but you are still leaving out the part where graphics (and audio and everything else) are taking up even more of the footprint of what is currently available relative to last gen. Standards of image quality, AI and animations are higher this gen with a limited amount of resources. 512 MB of RAM with everything they now have going on is pretty meager.

You can't have everything
Spoiler

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.