Home
UFC Undisputed 2010 News Post

The UFC Undisputed Community has posted another Q&A session with Omar Kendall, Lead Developer of UFC 2010 Undisputed.

Quote:
UFC Community: "Why do I get KO'ed so easily all the time? I think there is some fine tuning to be done to the flash KO rate. Can someone at THQ confirm that the flash KO's will be less frequent in the final game?"

Omar: "We don't really have a system called "Flash KO's." This is a term that the community has coined to identify KO's that they feel come quickly or suddenly. We do have a One-Punch KO system, and in Undisputed 2009 pre-patch they were quite common, but post-patch and in Undisputed 2010 they are extremely rare events - personally I've only had one of them occur in all the matches of Undisputed 2010 that I've ever played, so I don't believe this is what players are complaining about.

KO's are tuned differently this year, however. Essentially, heavier weight classes will have a greater occurrence of KO's than they did last year. We did this in part because we felt that there wasn't enough tactile different between the weight classes last year and in part because we felt that it more accurately reflected what happens in the real UFC. Players will notice the frequency of KO's to be much less with the lighter weight classes, and much more with heavyweights - this is intentional, but it is something that we will closely monitor once the game is released to see if tuning adjustments need to be made.

My suggestion to avoid getting KO'd so easily is to defend against head strikes better, and to not Sway recklessly."

Game: UFC Undisputed 2010Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 17 - View All
UFC Undisputed 2010 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 ManiacMatt1782 @ 05/09/10 11:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMimic
The problem is nearly every fight in the demo ends with a one strike knockout. TKOs are rare when in real life they're more common.
I dont even mind that i mind that after someone has missed the 40th big hook or haymaker they still have the power to ko you. stamina doesnt deplete fast enough for wild big strikes. i can see jabs missing and not taking much energy, because in mma jabs are usually just range finders and arent thrown to connect much. but the big shots that miss should be punished much more with stamina, not just the ability to be countered.

# 22 filtertmp @ 05/09/10 06:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NavigatorD83
I just think its funny that he says No we dont have Flash KO's we just call it something else. One punch knock out or Flash KO its the same thing. Its almost an insult to the gamer, they just wanted to use their own term for it.
Within the context of the game these are two different things?

'Flash KO' is an early knockout.. before a fighter has received much damage. Not always a 'fluke KO' but an unusually short KO compared to the 'average' amount of a damage a fighter needs to inflict before a KO.

The term 'flash KO' was used in the 2009 iteration to describe the end of a fight by KO before the traditional amount of damage to cause a KO was reached. They were entirely random and fairly rare.

A 'one punch knock out' is exactly what it sounds like and doesn't distinguish between the amount of damage inflicted up to that point. You can have a one punch KO that is functionally a 'flash KO' and also have a 'one punch KO' at the end of a 5 round war in which a fighter was absolutely punished and sustained an incredible amount of damage.. and that wouldn't be a 'flash' KO.

set:subset relationship

Regardless of this distinction in the terms I think the problem most people dislike is the lack of variation in finishes... too many lights-off finishes compared to how real MMA fights end (dropped, scramble, finish on the ground, ref intervenes, etc.)

# 23 oChaos_Nine @ 05/10/10 03:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM RULES
OMG, did I just see Machida get basically KO'ed by one big punch in the first round? Not 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10; but 1 single blow? Wow, that just does not seem realistic at all. Man, we need to contact Dana White and complain because one punch KO's should not happen that frequently. He should have sustained damage from at least 4-20 blows to the head before he fell. I am tired of the UFC trying to please the casual fans by allowing 1 punch KO's in real life, and in the demo!!!
He dropped on the first punch but Rua didn't throw his hands up and walk away as if he won (like the demo). He immediately attacked and finished him with a TKO. Big difference. What we saw happen to Machida, which is how a lot of UFC fights end when someones get's knocked down, doesn't happen enough in the demo.

Just to be clear, Machida didn't get one punch KO'd. He got rocked and finished by Rua who attacked immediately and pounded him out.

# 24 TheShizNo1 @ 05/10/10 03:44 PM
Quote:
OMG, did I just see Machida get basically KO'ed by one big punch in the first round? Not 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, or 10; but 1 single blow? Wow, that just does not seem realistic at all. Man, we need to contact Dana White and complain because one punch KO's should not happen that frequently. He should have sustained damage from at least 4-20 blows to the head before he fell. I am tired of the UFC trying to please the casual fans by allowing 1 punch KO's in real life, and in the demo!!!
RunandShoot, that you?

# 25 Phobia @ 05/10/10 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
RunandShoot, that you?
LMAO YEA I thought same thing Shiz

# 26 Jukeman @ 05/10/10 05:31 PM
Quote:
Dude, are you serious? Are you saying that if a heavy weight fighter takes 4-6 power shots to the head that only damage should occur and not KO's? If that were the case, most fighters would not fear standing toe to toe with power punchers. I am confused by your logic in regards to how many clean power shots to the head, should affect a fighter.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are advocating that professional heavy weight fighters should not be able to KO an opponent with power shots to the head, without sustaining damage first? WOW....
Yeah, you must have read my post wrong...

Quote:
For every UFC "one punch KO's" you can post, I could post twice as more TKO's....

No one said it was unrealistic or never happens...The ratio is off...

Quote:
the cheesy pounding an opponent out who just went gray is not only unrewarding - the animation sucks imo. I would like to see some better KO animations where the hurt fighter can't defend himself but isnt in a coma and better TKO animations - in the meantime Im fine with where its at now. Im having a nice mix of fight endings playing on expert. If they patch the game like they did last year and ruin it again - Im done with this
Yeah, that animation is corny, shouldnt be removed for next year thought but at least toned down(Ive seen that "animation" in a real life match)

I like these outcomes better:

CPU rocked me, I was pinned to the cage after I backed out to try and escape...He put blows on my and ended the match

CPU Knocked me down(not rocked) jumped on top of me, drop elbows(Now I was rocked) and got a TKO victory

We need MORE of those type of outcomes...

Its the little things the make a game great...

It's the variety that makes a game good...

I played nearly 50 matches in the demo....Ive only seen less than 20 TKO's(mostly by me from a Full mount GnP) a couple of Subs(from the CPU) and a hand full of decisions.....

Oh yeah...

Im a DEFENSIVE Fighter

But Im still getting the game regardless of the KO rate(if that makes any of you happy)

I would just enjoy it even more if those LITTLE THINGS happen more often....

If not, CHOOP2k8 will still be go to game number 1...

Oh and one more thing.....

A knockdown should be treated as a knock down, a person should not get up so fast as if his back was on fire...

A lil less arcade and a lil more Sim is all I'm asking for...

# 27 Jukeman @ 05/10/10 06:20 PM
Quote:
We dont want to be able to strike a person in the head 4-6 times in a row with out any damage done..
Guess I should have put a ' between the N and the T...

Also Machida wasnt "one punch KO'd"....

# 28 Jukeman @ 05/10/10 06:26 PM
Quote:
That is basically what I have been trying to say all along. I am glad that others can see the forest through the trees. Great observation.
Accuracy could be a issue..

but me and the cpu are both blocking and weaving...

not everyone who has a issue with KO's fight like they are the characters in Bloodsport...

# 29 Jukeman @ 05/10/10 07:11 PM
Quote:
Okay...I said that he was basically KO'ed after one punch, which he was because that one punch caused him to go down and it was over after that.
And thats all im asking for....

we have that RARELY and BARELY in the demo....Thank you

Thats the whole Rocked/knocked down vs One punch KO debate

# 30 oChaos_Nine @ 05/11/10 12:52 AM
Quote:
Okay...I said that he was basically KO'ed after one punch, which he was because that one punch caused him to go down and it was over after that.
I'll post this again in case you missed it.

Quote:
He dropped on the first punch but Rua didn't throw his hands up and walk away as if he won (like the demo). He immediately attacked and finished him with a TKO. Big difference. What we saw happen to Machida is how a lot of UFC fights end when someones get's knocked down, doesn't happen enough in the demo.

Just to be clear, Machida didn't get one punch KO'd. He got rocked and finished by Rua who attacked immediately and pounded him out.
There's a big difference in basically KO'd and definitely KO'd. If Rua hadn't of jumped guard and pounded him out, but instead raised his hands and walked away (like the demo) Machida would have gotten back up. It took 5 more shots from the top after Machida was down for the ref to stop that fight, he wasn't one punch KO'd or basically KO'd at all. He was TKO'd.

Rarely do you see someone land 1 clean strike and walk away as if they know it's over. Hell, I challenge you to give me 5 fights in the last year or two where that's actually happened. Even when Hendo KO'd Bisping he didn't walk away he rushed and landed a few more to make sure the fight was over.

My argument isn't that you can't get dropped by a power shot, it's that when you do get dropped by a power shot there's rarely any follow up to GnP. The KO animation happens far too frequently.

# 31 filtertmp @ 05/11/10 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oChaos_Nine
Hell, I challenge you to give me 5 fights in the last year or two where that's actually happened.
Good point.. flashy KO's without follow-up GnP basically never happen.

The most recent I can think of maia-marquardt.. and even then nate the great set up over him like he was going to finish with GnP.

The only UFC fights I can think of off hand with a flashy KO and no follow-up are the franklin-quarry fight, zaga-cro cop and the silva-griffin fight (which was a bizarre finish anyways) and that's it.

# 32 Jukeman @ 05/11/10 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamer23
dudes watch this vid and end this argument,its really annoying me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiEdE1fQcnY
1. 4/10 were legit TKO's

2. 10/10 the ref attempted to stop the fight (nothing dramatic)

3. it was a top 10 vid from any year (rare)

# 33 DavonBrown @ 05/12/10 12:55 AM
What the hell did you expect to see from a video titled "Top 10 UFC KNOCKOUTS"? 10 TKOs? And that video was all time. Show me the top ten UFC knockouts of 2009!

# 34 Nicolas024 @ 07/25/10 08:02 PM
I think the big issue is the omoplata submission puts you on top of opponent and with this patch they put opponent in side control.. This is a special move that not everyone has and is great for people who want to get off the ground or do not like the ground game and for best for takedown spammers. Leave the move as is so you should put it baq to original. Let caf learn sub switch and when max it becomes triple sub switch. Let caf get more level 3 moves and make it less difficult to accomplish. Worry about connection problems and super caf not be able to play online. Make online tournment and career mode ie madden with online franchise... Make a new patch and address these issues asap.. Stop worrying so much about moves and worry about CPU having lower sub and being weaker so when we sub them.. It like every career from 09 I had to get all my wins by ko because if they sub you it is over...Address our issues & concerns rather than what you want because we are ultimately paying and buying the game because you will hurt if we boycott buying ufc game. Let us max our caf how high we want but leave for offline or do overall max for using them online. All you get when you do not give people what they want is them to hack the game or find glitches around things which is worst. Lastly, make a move like 09 where rampage was able to powerbomb an oppenent if in triangle. Come on this game was fun so let's bring it baq....

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.