Home
Backbreaker News Post

The Backbreaker QA team has posted some demo hints and tips. Still no date confirmed.

Quote:
"Backbreaker was designed around a new control scheme and a new way to play. Seasoned football gamers will instinctively want to hit the buttons to spin/juke/pass/truck etc. This is normal, but with a little practice you’ll be pulling off evasive and aggressive moves without thinking about it. To help get the hang of things:

i: Complete the training camp drills before leaping into Exhibition, this will give you all the tools you need to play the game.

ii: Consider playing Tackle Alley before Exhibition to help hone your basic running game skills.

iii: If you really don't get on with the dual stick controls after this, select "Alternate Controls" on the controller select screen. This moves the majority of controls to the buttons."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 1 bonannogiovanni @ 05/20/10 01:04 PM
Interesting thanks for the info, you can even map moves to the buttons.....

# 2 mestevo @ 05/20/10 01:06 PM
Sweet. Wonder how long the quarters are?

# 3 mm boost @ 05/20/10 01:07 PM
Wow, that was a great read. It sounds like the teams have a sense of history like they are established in these leagues, which is great, in comparison to throwing 32 random *** teams together and having a league. I love that sense of realism there! This demo should be sweet, and will give us time to hone how to play before purchasing the game. I will be spending considerable time with this before I buy the game (if I like it).

Here is the best news IMO

Quote:
iii: If you really don't get on with the dual stick controls after this, select "Alternate Controls" on the controller select screen. This moves the majority of controls to the buttons.
Alternate controls, thank god! I think I will prefer going to the button controls, as that is what I am comfortable with. I wonder if that means it will change passing controls too?

# 4 NoDakHusker @ 05/20/10 01:07 PM
Wow there's lots to do for a demo!
Sounds awesome

# 5 Anaxamander @ 05/20/10 01:07 PM
Can someone post the full text? The BB forums are blocked at work.

# 6 mestevo @ 05/20/10 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm boost
Alternate controls, thank god! I think I will prefer going to the button controls, as that is what I am comfortable with. I wonder if that means it will change passing controls too?
Yeah, lots of lessons out there about controls, like Fight Night. If people don't like the control scheme you never get them back, even if you patch in options later.

# 7 Erratic @ 05/20/10 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaxamander
Can someone post the full text? The BB forums are blocked at work.
NP

Quote:
1: Getting to grips with it.

Backbreaker was designed around a new control scheme and a new way to play. Seasoned football gamers will instinctively want to hit the buttons to spin/juke/pass/truck etc. This is normal, but with a little practice you’ll be pulling off evasive and aggressive moves without thinking about it. To help get the hang of things:

i: Complete the training camp drills before leaping into Exhibition, this will give you all the tools you need to play the game.

ii: Consider playing Tackle Alley before Exhibition to help hone your basic running game skills.

iii: If you really don't get on with the dual stick controls after this, select "Alternate Controls" on the controller select screen. This moves the majority of controls to the buttons.

2: Tackle Alley tips.

i: Power moves are harder to pull off than jukes and spins, but earn you more points.

ii: After missing a tackle, the defense will get up and try to chase you down - be aware of who may be catching up behind you.

iii: Showboating will earn you more points, but you are much slower.

iv: Going over the red boundary is as bad as being tackled - wave over.

3: Exhibition tips.

i: Don't be afraid to start on Easy Arcade and work your way into the game.

ii: When kicking, or indeed receiving a kickoff, watch the wind. With strong winds, you can get a pretty good idea how far (or short) the ball is going to go.

iii: Player stats matter in Backbreaker! In the demo there are 6 teams to choose from with varying abilities. Here is the QA team's **unofficial** assessment of those you get to play with!

----------
UPFL Teams
----------
The UPFL sits below the BBFL in Road to Backbreaker, it's the 'middle' division. The teams that play in this league represent the 'Average' teams of Backbreaker. They have their individual strengths and weaknesses:

Charleston Cougars:
-------------------
This team is heavily biased to the offensive side of the ball, based around a long-time star player.

Strengths:
Behind the Center sits Cougar Greathouse, The Cougars' star Quarterback is regularly chosen as starting Quarterback for the UPFL division's All Star team. He's the cornerstone of the Cougar's offense, backed up by steady players at Fullback, Halfback and Receiver slots. Unlike some of the weaker teams in their division, they are capable of leaning on the passing game whilst still mixing up their playcalling.

Weaknesses:
With the team being built around the talent of Greathouse, their Defense has lacked the big star names needed to dominate. Though they play hard they can sometimes be exposed when playing tougher opposition.

Smart teams attempt to break down the Cougars by attacking their O-line, which isn't as strong as their passing numbers make out. Many teams seek to blitz through and bring down Greathouse before he can make the play. No Greathouse, no Cougars.

Columbia Colonels:
------------------
A well rounded team, with their star player, Craig Swanson, bringing the pain at the outside LB position. Marshall Coy at Quarterback has a strong arm but is often restricted by his receiving corps, which lack a stand-out passing option. They favor maintaining possession, controlling the clock and slowly moving up the field rather than throwing long for big gains.

Strengths:
Strong all round team, good Defense.

Weaknesses:
Often lack the ability to make that one big play against a superior team.

----------
BBFL Teams
----------
The BBFL contains the best teams in Backbreaker. In all there are 32 BBFL teams, 4 of which are represented in the demo. All these teams should be able to hold their own against the UPFL teams relatively easily - when playing with them, bear the following in mind:

Pittsburgh Pioneers
-------------------
The Pioneers are one of the more unusual teams in the BBFL. While Devonte Levy at TE typically wins the praise as the Pioneer's main playmaker, their true strength perhaps lies in their special teams where they have a strong set of players with which to gain strong field position, put points on the board and swing close games in their direction.

Strengths:
One of the best Special Team units in the League. Their kickers are accurate and powerful, while Isai Kelly, at Kick Return, piles the pressure straight back on whenever he touches the ball.

Weaknesses:
They have problem positions, Donavan Sexton at FB often getting the brunt of the blame, having not lived up to the promise he showed when he was drafted by the team, Sexton has increasingly proved himself to be a weak link in the Pioneers' offense.

Chicago Talons
--------------
The talons are one of the weaker teams in the BBFL. With the exception of Alan Gomez, star RB, their Offense often lacks the power to make the big play when under pressure. In an offensive shoot-out, the Talons have a habit of coming out second best. When things are going their way they rely on shutting down opponents with their strong D and trying to keep momentum rolling with their running game.

Strengths:
Very strong D, especially at CB. Good special teams. Though Gomez often has to carry the weight of his team on his shoulders, if can break into the open field, he can do major damage.

Weaknesses:
Lack of options on offense, can struggle to get back into a game if it starts going against them.

Indianapolis Spartans
---------------------
The Spartans are a tough team to beat. Taking them down requires containing their offense - easier said than done. Those trying to break through their O-line by Blitzing are often forced to rethink things pretty quickly. Getting through to sack Reed Wagoner at Quarterback is easier said than done.

Strengths:
Awesome offense. Even though McPherson is said to be somewhat slow at WR - the Spartans have enough options in their receiver corps to spread the ball around. Once a defense has been weakened, they often strike a killing blow with their star Tight End, Stone Lara.

Weaknesses:
It's hard to find any, which is why they are currently sitting pretty near the top of the BBFL. Their Defense isn't the best in the league, but it won't help most teams that come up against these guys. You need to bring your A-Game against the boys from Indiana.

Oakland Scourge
---------------
The scourge are a team built from the backfield. Their secondary is amongst the best the league has to offer, and they tend to keep a lid on somne of the league's toughest offenses. Their star player on offense is Dexter Houston a Running Back, renknowned for being tough and reliable. Houston is at his best when running downhill for consistent gains that are tough to stop. Strong fast and agile, Houston embodies the way the Scourge play. It's often said that the addition of a world class QB would put the scourge right up there amongst the best of the best.

Strengths:
Very strong secondary makes it difficult for opponents to make big gains. Often teams will be reluctant to throw long against the scourge, as it's a team that prides itself on Ballhawking.

Weaknesses:
They talk about replacing the QB for a reason. Corey Stark could be generously described as an average BBFL QB.

# 8 mm boost @ 05/20/10 01:08 PM
Here you go:

Quote:
Thanks to Stu, Tom & Mike for putting together a very good guide to the demo... enjoy!

1: Getting to grips with it.

Backbreaker was designed around a new control scheme and a new way to play. Seasoned football gamers will instinctively want to hit the buttons to spin/juke/pass/truck etc. This is normal, but with a little practice you’ll be pulling off evasive and aggressive moves without thinking about it. To help get the hang of things:

2: Tackle Alley tips.

i: Power moves are harder to pull off than jukes and spins, but earn you more points.

ii: After missing a tackle, the defense will get up and try to chase you down - be aware of who may be catching up behind you.

iii: Showboating will earn you more points, but you are much slower.

iv: Going over the red boundary is as bad as being tackled - wave over.

3: Exhibition tips.

i: Don't be afraid to start on Easy Arcade and work your way into the game.

ii: When kicking, or indeed receiving a kickoff, watch the wind. With strong winds, you can get a pretty good idea how far (or short) the ball is going to go.

iii: Player stats matter in Backbreaker! In the demo there are 6 teams to choose from with varying abilities. Here is the QA team's **unofficial** assessment of those you get to play with!

----------
UPFL Teams
----------
The UPFL sits below the BBFL in Road to Backbreaker, it's the 'middle' division. The teams that play in this league represent the 'Average' teams of Backbreaker. They have their individual strengths and weaknesses:

Charleston Cougars:
-------------------
This team is heavily biased to the offensive side of the ball, based around a long-time star player.

Strengths:
Behind the Center sits Cougar Greathouse, The Cougars' star Quarterback is regularly chosen as starting Quarterback for the UPFL division's All Star team. He's the cornerstone of the Cougar's offense, backed up by steady players at Fullback, Halfback and Receiver slots. Unlike some of the weaker teams in their division, they are capable of leaning on the passing game whilst still mixing up their playcalling.

Weaknesses:
With the team being built around the talent of Greathouse, their Defense has lacked the big star names needed to dominate. Though they play hard they can sometimes be exposed when playing tougher opposition.

Smart teams attempt to break down the Cougars by attacking their O-line, which isn't as strong as their passing numbers make out. Many teams seek to blitz through and bring down Greathouse before he can make the play. No Greathouse, no Cougars.

Columbia Colonels:
------------------
A well rounded team, with their star player, Craig Swanson, bringing the pain at the outside LB position. Marshall Coy at Quarterback has a strong arm but is often restricted by his receiving corps, which lack a stand-out passing option. They favor maintaining possession, controlling the clock and slowly moving up the field rather than throwing long for big gains.

Strengths:
Strong all round team, good Defense.

Weaknesses:
Often lack the ability to make that one big play against a superior team.

----------
BBFL Teams
----------
The BBFL contains the best teams in Backbreaker. In all there are 32 BBFL teams, 4 of which are represented in the demo. All these teams should be able to hold their own against the UPFL teams relatively easily - when playing with them, bear the following in mind:

Pittsburgh Pioneers
-------------------
The Pioneers are one of the more unusual teams in the BBFL. While Devonte Levy at TE typically wins the praise as the Pioneer's main playmaker, their true strength perhaps lies in their special teams where they have a strong set of players with which to gain strong field position, put points on the board and swing close games in their direction.

Strengths:
One of the best Special Team units in the League. Their kickers are accurate and powerful, while Isai Kelly, at Kick Return, piles the pressure straight back on whenever he touches the ball.

Weaknesses:
They have problem positions, Donavan Sexton at FB often getting the brunt of the blame, having not lived up to the promise he showed when he was drafted by the team, Sexton has increasingly proved himself to be a weak link in the Pioneers' offense.

Chicago Talons
--------------
The talons are one of the weaker teams in the BBFL. With the exception of Alan Gomez, star RB, their Offense often lacks the power to make the big play when under pressure. In an offensive shoot-out, the Talons have a habit of coming out second best. When things are going their way they rely on shutting down opponents with their strong D and trying to keep momentum rolling with their running game.

Strengths:
Very strong D, especially at CB. Good special teams. Though Gomez often has to carry the weight of his team on his shoulders, if can break into the open field, he can do major damage.

Weaknesses:
Lack of options on offense, can struggle to get back into a game if it starts going against them.

Indianapolis Spartans
---------------------
The Spartans are a tough team to beat. Taking them down requires containing their offense - easier said than done. Those trying to break through their O-line by Blitzing are often forced to rethink things pretty quickly. Getting through to sack Reed Wagoner at Quarterback is easier said than done.

Strengths:
Awesome offense. Even though McPherson is said to be somewhat slow at WR - the Spartans have enough options in their receiver corps to spread the ball around. Once a defense has been weakened, they often strike a killing blow with their star Tight End, Stone Lara.

Weaknesses:
It's hard to find any, which is why they are currently sitting pretty near the top of the BBFL. Their Defense isn't the best in the league, but it won't help most teams that come up against these guys. You need to bring your A-Game against the boys from Indiana.

Oakland Scourge
---------------
The scourge are a team built from the backfield. Their secondary is amongst the best the league has to offer, and they tend to keep a lid on somne of the league's toughest offenses. Their star player on offense is Dexter Houston a Running Back, renknowned for being tough and reliable. Houston is at his best when running downhill for consistent gains that are tough to stop. Strong fast and agile, Houston embodies the way the Scourge play. It's often said that the addition of a world class QB would put the scourge right up there amongst the best of the best.

Strengths:
Very strong secondary makes it difficult for opponents to make big gains. Often teams will be reluctant to throw long against the scourge, as it's a team that prides itself on Ballhawking.

Weaknesses:
They talk about replacing the QB for a reason. Corey Stark could be generously described as an average BBFL QB.

# 9 rooney8 @ 05/20/10 01:09 PM
That is a hell of alot in a demo.

# 10 radatdude2 @ 05/20/10 01:18 PM
WOW that's great news for demo to be this in depth !!! 3 play options and the option to change button cofig can't wait. I'll be sticking w/ using the right thumb stick

# 11 yardz23 @ 05/20/10 01:19 PM
Oakland Scourge sound like the Minnesota Vikings to me

# 12 yardz23 @ 05/20/10 01:19 PM
Rob also just twitted, demo is IMMINENT.

today perhaps? perhaps...

# 13 Erratic @ 05/20/10 01:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardz23

the use of imminent would imply pretty damn soon. Wowzers if it busts out today

# 14 yardz23 @ 05/20/10 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratic
the use of imminent would imply pretty damn soon. Wowzers if it busts out today
i know right! i've been playing bad company for months now, and to have RED dead and BB demo in the same week... its like too much to handle

# 15 NoDakHusker @ 05/20/10 01:27 PM
Quote:

Good to hear, I'll be keeping an eye on the Xbox marketplace demos today as I play RDR. Doubt it will be today, but you never know!

# 16 mm boost @ 05/20/10 01:31 PM
I say the demo comes out a week from today...if it was coming out today, wouldn't it be out already?

# 17 TheWatcher @ 05/20/10 01:32 PM
So they did include Tackle Alley in the demo. That's a good idea. The whole demo sounds great, I just wish it wasn't 3 days before the game, but if it comes out early I'll be all over it. If not, I'll probably just wait for the full game since I'm definitely buying day one anyway.

# 18 TheWatcher @ 05/20/10 01:38 PM
Also interesting to see that they went with the established league history concept over the upstart concept. But I guess in a way it wouldn't have made sense to go with the upstart concept with the league progression model they have. After all, if the leagues were all upstarts at the same time it would be hard to sell to the end user that the next league up is really a higher echelon... at least not without creating a story that more than likely would sound far-fetched or not believable altogether.

# 19 ezio @ 05/20/10 01:39 PM
Quote:
Oakland Scourge sound like the Minnesota Vikings to me
I thought the Raiders when I saw it

# 20 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/20/10 01:40 PM
Sounds nice. Can't wait for the demo to come out. So long as the demo don't come out the day the game comes out. Then the demo from there would be worthless to us then. But hopefully the demo will be out sometime next week.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.