Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

Check out the EA Sports MMA hands-on impressions.

Quote:
"I have to say that the standing game is very well put together. It’s fluid and responsive, and in the build we played it was very satisfying hitting your opponent. I know a lot of you were worried about how well this was going to be portrayed in the game, but set your mind at ease. This game makes you feel satisfied after getting a good solid punch landed.

Our first fights all consisted of heavyweights pretty much. This is where my first concern was brought into the light. I was concerned that the fighters punched a little slow, and moved a little too fluid and slow. This concern was put to sleep once we discovered the difference in weight classes when you fight. It really gives you an appreciation for smaller dudes and bigger dudes. There’s a DEFINITE difference, and it’s not a bad thing. This will make people want to delve into every weight class and try every fighter.

Every fighter is different. And we’re not just talking stance wise (ahem.. THQ). We’re talking movements and individual characteristics that make these fighters not only LOOK like their real-life counterparts, but also FEEL like they would feel if they were transformed into fully playable real life dudes. (can’t wait for EA MMA 2098!)"

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Bash @ 05/21/10 07:27 AM
:O @ those graphics

# 2 Stumbleweed @ 05/21/10 12:33 PM
Wow, this sounds amazing... seems like they really wanted to go a different direction than THQ with the submissions especially, and it seems like a good change of pace. This game is way more on my radar after reading those impressions, it sounds like a sim to me.

# 3 Jukeman @ 05/21/10 12:49 PM
Sounds good but I still prolly past on it if not just rent it...I dont trust EA anymore..

From that read, Im more interested on how this "sim" aspect will translate to FNR5

# 4 Flightwhite24 @ 05/21/10 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeman
Sounds good but I still prolly past on it if not just rent it...I dont trust EA anymore..

From that read, Im more interested on how this "sim" aspect will translate to FNR5
2 thumps up on this post. The trust factor is just not there like it used to be.

# 5 Phillmattic @ 05/21/10 01:03 PM
It's good to hear these impressions after being a bit disappointed by the footage that was shown during the Strikeforce Nashville show.

This is going to be a great game.

# 6 they call me kevin @ 05/21/10 01:07 PM
Sounds promising, but I don't truly trust the ability to be unbiased on a "hands on" that happens to be posted on their own forums.

# 7 Phobia @ 05/21/10 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
2 thumps up on this post. The trust factor is just not there like it used to be.
Completely agree. Nothing to do with hating EA or any of that nonsense. I just know how EA is and they tend to try and appeal to a LARGE mass which normally results in a dumbdown game and less sim aspects. So my trust in them making a solid sim game is just not there.

# 8 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/21/10 11:39 PM
Sounds great........controls scheme seems simply and easy to pick up. I will have to play the demo 1st.

# 9 nyj721 @ 05/23/10 10:08 PM
Hard to take this seriouusly when it's on EA's forum.

# 10 BrightFuture @ 05/23/10 10:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLIGHTWHITE
3rd on this list. Do not trust EA anymore.

# 11 koolbubbaice @ 05/27/10 09:38 PM
one of the coolest gameplay feautre's for me was that there are 3 possibly 4 outcomes for defending a takedown, depending on how early u hit the B button. For example if u hit B just as your opponent shoots in you defend with a full sprawl, if u hit it a little later you will barely fight of the attempted shot, and if you hit B litteraly as the guys got a hold of you u manage to close your guard as u hit the mat instead of ur opponent landing in half guard or open guard. Another outcome is if u time it right and hit X (the submission button ) just as ur opponent shoots in u can pull off a guillotine choke.. How awesome is that.

Very cool in deed.. If what I read is true.. EA MMA will be levels above UFC 10..

# 12 Anaxamander @ 05/28/10 09:29 AM
I think quite a few people are going to give this game another look since UFC 2010 has been disappointing. I know I'm one of them.

# 13 PBlast @ 05/28/10 09:35 AM
I'd probably be buying this game regardless of the success of Undisputed. MMA games are going to become a yearly thing now so I'm excited to see different takes on them and how they improve.

# 14 Phillmattic @ 05/28/10 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBlast
I'd probably be buying this game regardless of the success of Undisputed. MMA games are going to become a yearly thing now so I'm excited to see different takes on them and how they improve.
EA is planning to alternate this yearly with Fight Night.

Then again if it sells better than expected I bet EA wouldn't hesitate to quickly throw together a less than stellar sequel.

# 15 Phillmattic @ 05/28/10 01:11 PM
Here's some footage with Tyrone Woodley playing his son in the background. Good footage, although not good enough to start a new thread for so I'll post it here.

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-05-28

# 16 DavonBrown @ 05/28/10 01:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillmattic
Here's some footage with Tyrone Woodley playing his son in the background. Good footage, although not good enough to start a new thread for so I'll post it here.

http://sherdogblog.craveonline.com/blog/2010-05-28
I like.

# 17 GrayFolded @ 05/28/10 07:29 PM
Some of my favorite quotes:

This game is going to kill THQ. Trust me.

Is it better than UFC Undisputed?
I couldn’t play the UFC demo when I got home. I still can’t. The game makes you feel very limited in what you can do after playing EA MMA.

When you play as Fedor, does he feel like Fedor?
YES. That’s a big, all caps, YES.

I have to say that the standing game is very well put together. It’s fluid and responsive, and in the build we played it was very satisfying hitting your opponent. I know a lot of you were worried about how well this was going to be portrayed in the game, but set your mind at ease. This game makes you feel satisfied after getting a good solid punch landed.

I was concerned that the fighters punched a little slow, and moved a little too fluid and slow. This concern was put to sleep once we discovered the difference in weight classes when you fight. It really gives you an appreciation for smaller dudes and bigger dudes. There’s a DEFINITE difference, and it’s not a bad thing. This will make people want to delve into every weight class and try every fighter.

Every fighter is different. And we’re not just talking stance wise (ahem.. THQ). We’re talking movements and individual characteristics that make these fighters not only LOOK like their real-life counterparts, but also FEEL like they would feel if they were transformed into fully playable real life dudes.

In Mixed martial arts, you need to be quick.. and a guy who leaves his head back or down for more than a second is going to get caught, or taken down. Yes, this works exactly like THQ’s brand in this sense.. but I truly believe (and trust me.. I’ve been very critical of EA MMA) that the way EA has nailed this down.. it really gives you that ‘sense’ that you’re in the pocket. You want to bob and weave and parry , get in and get out.

One of the cool things I noticed is how well the fighters engage. Unlike UFC where the fighters will have an awkward clinch and the swaying seems robotic.. EA MMA makes it very fluid and it looks 100% natural. I can tell when my opponent wants to engage, just like in real life. When we get within range, our demeanor changes completely. The stance will reflect this (depending on the fighter) and it makes you feel like you’re in total
control.

Flash knockouts are in.. but definitely not as prevalent as the THQ game. We used heavyweights quite a bit, and there were a lot of knockdowns and TKO’s, but flash KO’s were spread out. I’m not saying they were rare, but you’d see a TKO before a flash KO probably on a ratio of 5:1.

My early concerns with this was that it may not be complex enough for the hardcore guys who have adapted the UFC’s mechanic of turns on the right stick.
However, I can counter that with the fact that the rumble that warns you about a transition can also fool you. So making the “transition” and “deny” controls simply two buttons may SOUND simple.. but it’s really not. There’s a mental game, which comes into play here.. and I think that’s just another place where EA will destroy THQ in terms of game play.

Well, I must say I'm buying into the hype on this game now, I have been with EA since "NHL HOCKEY" for Sega Genesis and watched them go from one of the great companies in Video Games to a shell of it's former self in the Next Gen Era so I will proceed with caution I suppose.....

# 18 Jukeman @ 06/01/10 08:58 AM
These impressions may be spot on but I'm still renting it

# 19 Iadf @ 06/01/10 05:28 PM
well the game looks slow to me like fnr4, and i absolutely hate punching with the right stick.

# 20 gmac0322 @ 06/02/10 09:47 AM
I actually like that fact that the striking is like fight night. I think the button mashing makes it too much like a fighting game. I think the sway movement is going to be better in this game and I just hope they dont have the flash ko problem that the ufc has. I would be nice to a variety of ways that a fight can end. I am looking forward to it.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.