Home
Backbreaker News Post

The Backbreaker demo is now available on the Marketplace. Post your impressions here.

Quote:
"BACKBREAKER™ is a new, revolutionary football experience that takes you straight onto the field. Breakthrough euphoria tackles, non-canned animation, and stunning on-field graphics make BACKBREAKER™ the first truly live football game."

Game: BackbreakerReader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 51 - View All
Backbreaker Videos
Member Comments
# 41 mgoblue678 @ 05/21/10 09:35 AM
Sweet, I just broke off a 76 yard touchdown run playing on medium with the Scourge. It was on a counter. Was really having a really difficult time running up until that point, but I really tried to focus on being more precise with movement and following my blockers better on that play and what do you know I break off a huge run as a result. Bulled over a safety about 30 yards down field which was quite satisfying as well.

Overall I am impressed with the demo as a whole. Still getting used to the camera, passing and running. Defense doesn't seem to be a problem for me so far, I even had a pick six return playing as a linebacker on a ball that was jarred loose as the receiver caught it. Running and passing animations are definatly weird looking but I can deal with that as the other animations are beautiful.

As far as playbooks I noticed the 3-4 on defense was at least in there, even though I didn't see a nickel package with only 3 down linemen. I also saw a wr screen in there and when I ran it, the blocking behavior seemed to be correct for a screen.

Oh and I recommend people play on Pro mode because on Arcade it only gives you limited plays to choose from and you can't choose by formation. On Pro you can choose by formation or play type.

I am getting a little annoyed hearing Here Comes the Boom on every kickoff though.

# 42 elgreazy1 @ 05/21/10 09:38 AM
I find that having the glow off on defense works better. It seems I focus more on the play instead of the ball.

# 43 guitar4468 @ 05/21/10 09:47 AM
Try stiff arming with the same hand you have the ball in. It doesnt not automatically switch, he lunges with his shoulder instead. You have to switch the ball to other hand first. This game just feels like football.

# 44 Methlab @ 05/21/10 09:47 AM
This sounds so great. I won't be able to play until tonight, but it sounds like only complaint is by people saying it's hard : GOOOD!!!!

I am sick of games that little kids can pick up and play so fast that all they do is look for glitches after a while to cheese online with.

The fact that it is hard for people means that it may actually be like real football. I played for years and trust me, running the ball and seeing stuff out of the corner of your eyes with a helemt on is tough!! I think the folks that play sports will appreciate tthis game more then others, from how it sounds.

# 45 turftickler @ 05/21/10 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970
what? nobody's looking for jersey patches, hand towels, and where the cornerbacks eyes are at all times? it's funny how with Madden every single detail is nitpicked, but not so here. I just think everybody's so starved for something different that this is bound to be overrated a bit.
Seriously, have you even played the demo? Of course BB will be lacking in some areas right now, but the every single part of this game is on point for the features it currently has. We all know which football games are over rated and it's not just a bit, it's by about 6 years of bits. BB gets

# 46 warriorbear @ 05/21/10 09:49 AM
Of course on the day I should have taken off...grrrr! Can't wait to play tonight, I'll put some vids together off the Hava, and post them to youtube and viemo (for iphone and ipad) for some HD goodness when I can.

Youtube Highlights - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE3kz76LEJs

mostly running plays
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzRTZPO7pVs

nice run showing physics - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d3Iyk8pU1E

# 47 jp7588 @ 05/21/10 09:52 AM
The game is a lot of fun but I really suck at it. Any time I do anything remotely successful I feel like I deserve a cookie.

I've seen a few pretty sweet moments so far.

-Opposing team was punting with a 25 MPH wind in the punters face. The punt made it about 20 yards downfield, hit the ground and bounced high in the air. One of the opposing gunners leapt in the air for the ball as about 8 guys converged on it. I bumped into him and sent him spinning like a helicopter. Someone else caught it and a big pile-up ensued.

-CPU QB passed over the middle. My safety and CB both closed on the ball at the same time in front of the receiver. The safety got there first, caught the ball, bowled over his teammate (the CB) and ran it in for 6.

-I blitzed around the edge as the OLB and tried to dive and sack the QB. I completely whiffed and knocked the isht out of one of my own guys on the other side of him lol.

# 48 CaptainZombie @ 05/21/10 09:52 AM
Tuesday can't get here fast enough. Thanks for the impressions 360 owners.

# 49 Titans4lyfe @ 05/21/10 09:53 AM
Just finish watching a video on youtube showing off the halftime stats, and something I noticed was a stat for assisted tackles. I can't recall what year madden started keeping track of that. I'm a bit suprised of how in-depth the stat tracking is (Was expecting BTL2 type stat tracking). I'm definitely impressed.

# 50 boritter @ 05/21/10 09:53 AM
I wish that you controlled the same player as the play before. I always want to be the DE but this changes my player each time. I know I can pick the player in the playcall menu but I don't want to do that every down.

Pre-snap is there a way to "aim" the defender you want to switch to or do you have to cycle through all the defenders? In other games you can hold A and point to a defender to switch but I cannot see how to do that in BB.

# 51 Methlab @ 05/21/10 09:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970
what? nobody's looking for jersey patches, hand towels, and where the cornerbacks eyes are at all times? it's funny how with Madden every single detail is nitpicked, but not so here. I just think everybody's so starved for something different that this is bound to be overrated a bit.
I think you fail to grasp that the other game has basically been the same product for over 7 years so people are bound to look for little details after a while. BB is a whole new experience. I am sure by BB3, people will be looking for the same little stuff.

# 52 Sigma4Life @ 05/21/10 09:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by boritter
I wish that you controlled the same player as the play before. I always want to be the DE but this changes my player each time. I know I can pick the player in the playcall menu but I don't want to do that every down.

Pre-snap is there a way to "aim" the defender you want to switch to or do you have to cycle through all the defenders? In other games you can hold A and point to a defender to switch but I cannot see how to do that in BB.
In options you can pick which position you want to start each play as.

# 53 jp7588 @ 05/21/10 09:56 AM
I just threw a pass to my half back across the middle. He wasn't looking when I threw it and it was only like 5 yards away so the ball just hit him in the back. I guess that's good.

# 54 The GIGGAS @ 05/21/10 09:58 AM
I literally got no time with the game, but here are about 10 minutes worth of impressions (I haven't even learned the controls yet).

Camera is odd to me, but I'm super used to playing the bird's eye style of football. I'll try to get used to it.

Running the ball is FUN. I was running looking for a hole, one opened up, and I slammed through it for a couple of yards. Watched the replay a couple times, it was awesome.

I only got one pass off, it was an interception. My QB was moving to the side and had to do a jump pass, and the ball couldn't quite get there... props on that.

So far, I like the potential.

# 55 mgoblue678 @ 05/21/10 09:58 AM
I guess they weren't kidding when they said the Talons offense isn't very good. Just held them to negative 10 yards as the Scourge. Their qb threw 2 picks as well. My d-line and linebackers were in their backfield almost every play.

At this point I think I am pretty much sold, looks like I will be picking this up day one.

# 56 ZeeAyKay @ 05/21/10 09:59 AM
Quote:

In the options menu under game you can lock offensive and defensive roles. So if you always want to be DE just check that box.

Pre-snap when you hold LB you use the left stick to choose what position you want to be.

# 57 MiNiDiTkA @ 05/21/10 10:01 AM
Quote:
Pros:
*The animations are phenominal.

*Lots of features for a demo. (Training, tutorial, tackle alley, exhibition.)

*The graphics including the crowd are top notch.

Cons:
*I hated the camera angle immediately. After 3 hours of non-stop BB I still can't stand it. It's way too sensitive to jukes and other movements. I wish they had a slider that controlled how jerky the camera shifts are. I know 505 wants to differentiate BB from Madden, but the fact that there is no other camera angles will turn off TONS of gamers.

*The music is extremely repetitive.

*Instant replay options are very limited. You cannot pause or adjust the camera angle or player perspective of the replay. The replay is literally a replay of what you saw during the play. As far as I know this is the only sports game that is missing these replay features.

*The lack of an announcer is very noticeable. There are frequent moments between plays where there is no music and the crowd, players, and PA man are 100% silent. These awkward silences seem odd.
This pretty much sums up my feelings on the demo and because so will probably cancel my preorder. Nice first effort but not enough to get me away from 2K8/Madden. Will have some video up shortly.

# 58 TreFacTor @ 05/21/10 10:01 AM
I was on the fence about BB. I couldn't make up my mind because on the one hand, I'm tired of the stagnant progression of Madden, on the other hand I know full well going in that BB is a new IP from a small group of European developers who have very little football knowledge or experience.

The good
The Euphoria engine is perfect for Football.
Running the football is easier than passing.

The Bad
EVERYTHING else.

Now before everyone gets their flame throwers ready, let me explain. I say everything else is bad because the game is clunky.

*The players all move the same, no matter whether they are a QB, TE, or DE. They run the same, and the animations for such a physics based game are stiff. Every time a player got knocked to the ground, they had the same robotic, stiff "get up animation".

*The camera isn't as bad as I previously thought, but the camera is erratic at best. I'm sure this is for effect, but the only time the camera feels right is right before the snap of the ball and when running the football.

*Passing the ball is a horse of a different color! Anyone who loved the vision cone in Madden should feel right at home. I for one hated the vision cone because of the flicking of the right thumb stick. It would often register incorrectly, and I would wind up taking a sack trying to get the cone back to the open receiver. The same can be said about the passing in BackBreaker. Yes you can change the control layout, but you are still forced to "cycle" through receivers. This is another half good half bad implementation. I can see that flicking the stick resembles an actual QB going through his reads, but it's far to clunky and slow. Yes I took a bunch of sacks playing the game.

*I often found that I would get knocked to the ground through incidental contact with anyone on the field which would indicate the need for more precision control so I could avoid contact, but the camera and player movements simply don't allow that to happen. Even when I didn't get knocked to the ground I had to make myself get involve in the plays because in about 3 hours of playtime the computer only ran one play in my direction the rest of the plays seemed to intentionally go to the opposite side of the field from where I was playing no matter what position I played. Even if you switch to the closest defender, it is often too late to have an impact on the play.

While playing the outside linebacker on one play, I was in the perfect position to pick off a pass, but couldn't jump for the ball. After the play, I went to the controls screen to see what is jump, and found that jump and catch are missing from the controls. Your player either does these on their own or they don't. Once you have the ball jumping is mapped to the thumb stick in the form of hurdling.

*Kicking takes waaaay too long.

*EXTREMELY generic plays (and yeah man to man coverage is abysmal)

*Replays, Ugh! I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that 505 doesn't watch alot of football or even play a lot of football. Often the replay just follows the player you are controlling, and as stated before if you don't make your player get involved the replay is just irrelevant UNLESS its score or A POINT AFTER ATTEMPT. You cannot control the replay, switch cameras on the replay (which you can do during the player intro?!?).

Playing BB is much like playing Superstar mode in Madden which I never cared for with the exception that you can switch the player your controlling, and you call the plays. I can say that after playing the demo for a few hours that 505 did a good job. BackBreaker will please those who hate Madden but like football. If you were already going to purchase the game, nothing anyone can say will change your mind. I have however decided against buying BB. I wasn't excited while playing the game. While Madden has it's faults (repetitive commentary, cheating AI, sliding and morphing players), it has far more control, and player involvement where as in BackBreaker, your involvement in the play is determined by where the play is going. If the play isn't going to your side of the field, your just there, and that's the way it is in real football but there just isn't any excitement on the plays your not involved in. I actually found myself missing Chris Collingsworth's repetitive commentary.

# 59 str8artist @ 05/21/10 10:02 AM
WOW!!! I am shocked how good the controls are.

Based on training mode:

Player movement +
Footplanting +
Spin moves +
Block Evade +

# 60 mgoblue678 @ 05/21/10 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreFacTor
I was on the fence about BB. I couldn't make up my mind because on the one hand, I'm tired of the stagnant progression of Madden, on the other hand I know full well going in that BB is a new IP from a small group of European developers who have very little football knowledge or experience.

The good
The Euphoria engine is perfect for Football.
Running the football is easier than passing.

The Bad
EVERYTHING else.

Now before everyone gets their flame throwers ready, let me explain. I say everything else is bad because the game is clunky.

*The players all move the same, no matter whether they are a QB, TE, or DE. They run the same, and the animations for such a physics based game are stiff. Every time a player got knocked to the ground, they had the same robotic, stiff "get up animation".

*The camera isn't as bad as I previously thought, but the camera is erratic at best. I'm sure this is for effect, but the only time the camera feels right is right before the snap of the ball and when running the football.

*Passing the ball is a horse of a different color! Anyone who loved the vision cone in Madden should feel right at home. I for one hated the vision cone because of the flicking of the right thumb stick. It would often register incorrectly, and I would wind up taking a sack trying to get the cone back to the open receiver. The same can be said about the passing in BackBreaker. Yes you can change the control layout, but you are still forced to "cycle" through receivers. This is another half good half bad implementation. I can see that flicking the stick resembles an actual QB going through his reads, but it's far to clunky and slow. Yes I took a bunch of sacks playing the game.

*I often found that I would get knocked to the ground through incidental contact with anyone on the field which would indicate the need for more precision control so I could avoid contact, but the camera and player movements simply don't allow that to happen. Even when I didn't get knocked to the ground I had to make myself get involve in the plays because in about 3 hours of playtime the computer only ran one play in my direction the rest of the plays seemed to intentionally go to the opposite side of the field from where I was playing no matter what position I played. Even if you switch to the closest defender, it is often too late to have an impact on the play.

While playing the outside linebacker on one play, I was in the perfect position to pick off a pass, but couldn't jump for the ball. After the play, I went to the controls screen to see what is jump, and found that jump and catch are missing from the controls. Your player either does these on their own or they don't. Once you have the ball jumping is mapped to the thumb stick in the form of hurdling.

*Kicking takes waaaay too long.

*EXTREMELY generic plays (and yeah man to man coverage is abysmal)

*Replays, Ugh! I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and say that 505 doesn't watch alot of football or even play a lot of football. Often the replay just follows the player you are controlling, and as stated before if you don't make your player get involved the replay is just irrelevant UNLESS its score or A POINT AFTER ATTEMPT. You cannot control the replay, switch cameras on the replay (which you can do during the player intro?!?).

Playing BB is much like playing Superstar mode in Madden which I never cared for with the exception that you can switch the player your controlling, and you call the plays. I can say that after playing the demo for a few hours that 505 did a good job. BackBreaker will please those who hate Madden but like football. If you were already going to purchase the game, nothing anyone can say will change your mind. I have however decided against buying BB. I wasn't excited while playing the game. While Madden has it's faults (repetitive commentary, cheating AI, sliding and morphing players), it has far more control, and player involvement where as in BackBreaker, your involvement in the play is determined by where the play is going. If the play isn't going to your side of the field, your just there, and that's the way it is in real football but there just isn't any excitement on the plays your not involved in. I actually found myself missing Chris Collingsworth's repetitive commentary.
Completely disagree about man coverage being abysmal, at least on medium and hard that is not the case at all.

Your certainly entitled to your opinion and would tend to agree with a couple of them, but those other complaints are pretty weak. Some of them amount to not being used certain aspects of the game, so that part of the game is bad according to you.

I mean honestly your complaining about not enough plays being run by the CPU in your direction, what exactly did you expect. That is football, a lot of plays the ball doesn't come a certain players direction.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.