Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Way back in late April some of our keen readers noticed Gus Johnson would probably make his way into Madden NFL 11.

Today, Kotaku has confirmed Gus Johnson has the play-by-play gig.

Quote:
"Today, Johnson, the exciting and excitable CBS sportscaster, officially became the fourth play-by-play man to hold sports gaming's top booth job. Teased at the end of this video a month ago, Johnson's hiring is hardly a shocker, and neither are EA Sports' reasons for grabbing him. After nearly 20 years of often sedate, always straightforward calls by the likes of Pat Summerall and Al Michaels, Madden badly needed the kind of high-five-yourself enthusiasm Johnson imposes on a game."

You can also check out the newest video with Gus Johnson and Kotaku's Owen Good featured in Madden NFL 11 here.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 djordan @ 05/21/10 09:35 AM
YAY!!!!..MANNN This is a breath of fresh air. Im at work smiling like a mfer because of how big a difference between Gus Johnson and Tom Hammond is. WOOOO!

# 2 ch46647 @ 05/21/10 09:42 AM
What a difference a better commentator makes!!!!

Edit: Really hoping we get some current gameplay footage today though. That was listed as Pre-Alpha which means that was probably a few months ago.

# 3 lolfalconsbeatu @ 05/21/10 09:48 AM
Great News, hopefully his emotion translates naturally to give a great commentating experience.

# 4 SteelerSpartan @ 05/21/10 09:49 AM
I just hope they don't chop all his lines up and make him sound robotic

So far, until I see that locomtion isn't going to be full of glitches, Gus is the thing Im most excited about with this game

# 5 djordan @ 05/21/10 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelerSpartan
I just hope they don't chop all his lines up and make him sound robotic
Yeah I feel you.

# 6 adembroski @ 05/21/10 09:54 AM
LOL @ Crabtree deciding to hold out another six games just to keep his rhythm.

# 7 J Masta J @ 05/21/10 09:57 AM
Great! I'm excited, this is good news. But it won't matter for squat if they don't implement it correctly.

Speaking of, here are some glaring flaws I noticed in the Kotaku video:

- After the 49ers TD, the camera focuses on Crabtree, even though Jones caught. This is distracting, confusing, and simply put, amateur crap.

- They show a replay of the extra point. Not of the TD, but of the extra point. Simply inexcusable.

- The replays of defensive backs in coverage seem disjointed from the actual play. You never see the ball. Good idea, but needs to be done better.

I know this is "pre-Alpha" mode, but still, I gotta hope these things are addressed.

# 8 djordan @ 05/21/10 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Masta J
Great! I'm excited, this is good news. But it won't matter for squat if they don't implement it correctly.

Speaking of, here are some glaring flaws I noticed in the Kotaku video:

- After the 49ers TD, the camera focuses on Crabtree, even though Jones caught. This is distracting, confusing, and simply put, amateur crap.

- They show a replay of the extra point. Not of the TD, but of the extra point. Simply inexcusable.

- The replays of defensive backs in coverage seem disjointed from the actual play. You never see the ball. Good idea, but needs to be done better.

I know this is "pre-Alpha" mode, but still, I gotta hope these things are addressed.
Exactly why they said this is pre-alpha footage......

# 9 coogrfan @ 05/21/10 10:19 AM
Gus Johnson truly is the anti-Hammond.

# 10 Exonerated @ 05/21/10 10:19 AM
Hold your horses. That was Gus Johnson improvising with Madden footage.

Just hope it sounds that good when its edited and algorithm-ed together.

# 11 coogrfan @ 05/21/10 10:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exonerated
Hold your horses. That was Gus Johnson improvising with Madden footage.

Just hope it sounds that good when its edited and algorithm-ed together.
I think most of us already understood that.

# 12 bigsmallwood @ 05/21/10 10:26 AM
Gus Johnson sounds fantastic as usual...the Madden presentation had better be light years ahead of what we have been shown so far though...replay of an unimportant extra point???? Wow. even for an "alpha build" LOL

# 13 J Masta J @ 05/21/10 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by djordan
Exactly why they said this is pre-alpha footage......
Whatever. Until I see it changed, I'm assuming it's in. Haven't the past 5 years taught you anything?

# 14 Gosens6 @ 05/21/10 10:48 AM
"He smelled that out like a blood hound smelling something yummy" Classic. Gus Johnson sounded amazing I can only hope it sounds like that in the game.

# 15 jmood88 @ 05/21/10 10:48 AM
I really hope that they actually improve the commentary. The game is really boring and the commentary is a big part of that. The rare times I play games I don't even listen to the commentary, I just turn the volume down and listen to music.

# 16 brza37 @ 05/21/10 10:53 AM
The main problem I had with commentary last year wasn't that Hammond was boring it was more the disconnect I got because alot of times the commentators would say something that didn't match at all. I'd throw a TD pass to a WR who was standing in the endzone and then Collinsworth would start talking about how my RB was almost taken down in the backfield and showed tremendous agility to turn it into a positive play.
It doesn't matter who's reading the lines when the lines don't match up with what happened on the field.

# 17 Exonerated @ 05/21/10 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earaylewis
The other guy whos calling with Gus

he is not in madden ?

thanks
Just a journalist.

# 18 jeremym480 @ 05/21/10 10:58 AM
Good news. Especially since there's no MMA talk in Madden

# 19 kbigmike2121 @ 05/21/10 11:00 AM
All I have to say is WOW! Sooo much more emotion. I even like the humor that they bring also. Hope some of that is in the game. Is the other guy in Madden 11 also? What happened to chris?

Respectfully,

Michael K.

# 20 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/21/10 11:00 AM
Sounds good to me. Can't wait until E3 when we can get some real good footage of madden from people who are going to be there. Can't wait.

« Previous12345Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.