Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Way back in late April some of our keen readers noticed Gus Johnson would probably make his way into Madden NFL 11.

Today, Kotaku has confirmed Gus Johnson has the play-by-play gig.

Quote:
"Today, Johnson, the exciting and excitable CBS sportscaster, officially became the fourth play-by-play man to hold sports gaming's top booth job. Teased at the end of this video a month ago, Johnson's hiring is hardly a shocker, and neither are EA Sports' reasons for grabbing him. After nearly 20 years of often sedate, always straightforward calls by the likes of Pat Summerall and Al Michaels, Madden badly needed the kind of high-five-yourself enthusiasm Johnson imposes on a game."

You can also check out the newest video with Gus Johnson and Kotaku's Owen Good featured in Madden NFL 11 here.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 jclentzthadon @ 05/21/10 11:00 AM
That sounded like brian billick. I'm almost certain but I didn't read the article

# 22 jmood88 @ 05/21/10 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclentzthadon
That sounded like brian billick. I'm almost certain but I didn't read the article
You might want to read the article next time. The other guy works for Kotaku. Gus Johnson says the guy's name in the beginning of the video.

# 23 ceroik @ 05/21/10 11:06 AM
Love it. Just hope they don't keep making jokes about this "looking like a video game" because it was already done twice in the video. Would be annoying if that was in the game all the time.

I know it was live commentary added to gameplay footage, just making a point about repetetiveness..

# 24 roadman @ 05/21/10 11:13 AM
That is so much better than the last few with Hammond.

Nice to see plenty of replay's too.

# 25 Yashi @ 05/21/10 11:14 AM
This is probably the most exciting thing for me in Madden in a long time. I just hope they get it right. What makes Gus Johnson great is his intensity, and it's going to be important that this excitement gets triggered in Madden at the right moments in the game, and not too often or too little.

AWWWGOD, STOKLEY!

# 26 Steve_OS @ 05/21/10 11:15 AM
Just to confirm, the other commentator is Owen Good, one of the writers for Kotaku.

# 27 bxgoods @ 05/21/10 11:20 AM
The Hasselback hot wife line cracked me up, I hope that stays in game

# 28 BigD @ 05/21/10 11:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotsk1d
wait collensworth is out to?
Slightly disappointed if Collensworth is out but this guy is a night and day difference from Hammond. Good job EA!

# 29 roadman @ 05/21/10 11:21 AM
Quote:
No, when reading the article, it stated the Collingsworth came in and did some pregame stuff and has commentary from Madden 10.

# 30 jmood88 @ 05/21/10 11:22 AM
People need to read the article before asking questions. Collinsworth is still in the game.

# 31 RGiles36 @ 05/21/10 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmood88
People need to read the article before asking questions. Collinsworth is still in the game.
People would rather ask questions than to take the few minutes to read...

# 32 Eastsidestory5 @ 05/21/10 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazdevil20
So was that actual in game commentary? Or were they doing it as they were watching the game? If it's in game it's improved. One thing that's depressing is the game play still looks exactly the same. Still no pocket, no DEs pushing up field, and the QB still moon walks behind the line when he moves around.
I'm assuming you watched the video.

but I'm guessing you skipped the beginning where the dude said it was pre-alpha?

# 33 djordan @ 05/21/10 11:37 AM
HAHA.PEOPLE PLEASE READ THE ARTICLE!!!

# 34 cowboy_kmoney @ 05/21/10 11:38 AM
Again people this is from a pre-alfa build and it was only done so we could hear the best at work without anything to go on but sense of knowing the game. Now thats a person on his game... I also like the new sceens damn EA this just might be the year for true gamers, I have just dranked all the kool-aid... So come on August you cant get here fast enough..

# 35 NYyankz225 @ 05/21/10 12:20 PM
Are you people dense??

This was a PR move where they brought in VIDEO GAME JOURNALISTS to "get in the booth" with a real commentator in Gus Johnson. They watched a pre-recorded game of Madden and spoke about it as it was happening.

THIS IS NOT IN THE GAME. CRIS COLLINSWORTH IS STILL IN IT AND THE COMMENTARY WILL NOT SOUND LIKE THIS AT ALL. THE GUY WITH GUS JOHNSON WAS A VIDEO GAME JOURNALIST WHO WENT TO WRITE A PREVIEW ABOUT THE GAME.

Wow I'm keeping this in mind next time I take anyone's opinion seriously here. So sad.

# 36 TracerBullet @ 05/21/10 12:35 PM
That video is hilarious. Owen: "You really don't expect to see this kind of inaccuracy from a guy like Hasselbeck who has a hot wife waiting for him at home" Gus: "Haha, no that's his brother." Owen: "Oh..."

I'm really hoping Gus has some great lines in the game.

# 37 mm boost @ 05/21/10 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ufgators253
That video is hilarious. Owen: "You really don't expect to see this kind of inaccuracy from a guy like Hasselbeck who has a hot wife waiting for him at home" Gus: "Haha, no that's his brother." Owen: "Oh..."

I'm really hoping Gus has some great lines in the game.

The part about the bloodhound was priceless!

# 38 myownsun @ 05/21/10 12:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C
Not impressed at ALL with the gamepley

hopefully the final build plays better, Backbreaker FTW

Agreed, Gus is great but the gameplay and player movement are not impressive at all.

# 39 PantherBeast_OS @ 05/21/10 12:57 PM
Quote:
No he is still in. They just used the other guy as extra to do this video. Collensworth and Gus are the announcers.

# 40 Morning Thunder @ 05/21/10 02:06 PM
I found that journalist to be really annoying

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.