Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 sportznut02 @ 05/22/10 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue
Holy **** the striking looks terrible.

When Lawal got mount and started attacking, everything just looked aweful; like there was absolutely no power behind it at all. It looked like he had feather hands floating downwards.

The submission system definitely looked better; but that's about it at this point.

I feel the need to again express how terrible the striking in that video was.
Yeah unfortunately the striking looks like they are play fighting or sparring. It looks like there is no power behind any of the strikes. I really hope that they can fix this by this fall.

# 2 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/22/10 09:44 AM
1. Striking looks VERY terrible.

2. They gliding instead of walking.

3. They have cage interaction too it seems.

4. Submission game is PERFECT.

I love how the submission isn't automatic yes or no like it is in UFC 2010. In UFC 2010 there is no struggle at all, you either get it or they get out. But in EA MMA there is a long struggle to get it, which is the way it suppose to be.

UFC 2010 needs to drop that shine BS and do it like EA MMA has it.

# 3 Luck911 @ 05/22/10 11:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson

4. Submission game is PERFECT.

I love how the submission isn't automatic yes or no like it is in UFC 2010. In UFC 2010 there is no struggle at all, you either get it or they get out. But in EA MMA there is a long struggle to get it, which is the way it suppose to be.

UFC 2010 needs to drop that shine BS and do it like EA MMA has it.
The shine system is not so bad,It is fair system but they do need sub initiation system before it.Every sub attempt should by guarantee a person with sub defense like Big Nog will never be put in armbars.

# 4 PlatooN @ 05/22/10 02:58 PM
Striking
I loved Fight Night 2 & 3 for the PS2. IMO it took a wrong turn in 4 and since EA MMA has the same tech as Fight Night 4...That alone will deter me. I do understand how it would make the people who are familiar with that style happy.

It also looks really weak! Did anyone see those punches King Mo was landing or believe they knocked out Overeem when he had mount? I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw his neck go limp from those love taps!!!

My Rating between 1 and 10 is.....
TERRIBLE

Submissions/Transitions
First I'd like to point out that I am not against the "shine" as a means of submissions and take downs but it does put a lot of wear and tear on the controllers and palms of my hand....which i would like to keep as soft as possible... *ahem*....moving on....

Submissions look cool as hell!! I don't know why but i like being able to see the bone/damage...i know it's not realistic but IMO it's cool...

Transitions look pretty fluid and some of the transition block animations are more realistic than Undisputed. The means of which you preform submissions and transitions are simple but not a...."bad simple?"

My rating for this category which isn't even really a rating at all is....
Looks really good but I'll have to try it

I'm pretty sure I heard Gus Johnson commentating...so that gets an A+...That guy is an addition to any sports game's presentation.

All that being said the game is still a few more months from release and their first go at MMA so I understand if everything is not at par or better than Undisputed.

It does definitely have it's bright spots but with the new modes,online,fighters,presentation and customization UFC has now I have no reason to buy this game.

This is a definite no buy for me.
Maybe next year...

# 5 they call me kevin @ 05/22/10 03:20 PM
I can't be the only one who thinks the whole press A for auto transition animation is a horrible idea that could potentially ruin the game, can I?

And yeah the striking looks horrible(and great job putting in the awful sway crap and such from FN4 EA, there is a reason why most people hated FN4 compared to the earlier ones.)

Submission system seems pretty cool I guess, but seems like it could end up being some thing that ends up potentially taking minutes, which might end up being a little weird taking up over a quarter of a round in submission mode.

At this point I really don't know what to think of this game, it might end up good but honestly it seems like it is headed more towards ridiculously awful like the old UFC games.

# 6 Parasight @ 05/22/10 04:23 PM
Some of the animations look great. Others look TERRIBLE. The thing that really annoyed me was the sliding, it's a lot worse than it is/was in NBA games. It looks like a few "steps" could get you from one side of the cage to the other. Also, the impact of striking all around seems non-existant. I do like the idle animations inside of the mount (pushing the head down, hugging the guy on top, etc.). The game looks promising, but there's a lot of things in there that make you go "WTF!?"

Also, WAY too much camera flash.

# 7 Gotmadskillzson @ 05/22/10 09:23 PM
IMO I rather people struggle trying to get submissions on the ground for minutes instead of that instant sub or KO stuff I see going on in this UFC demo. In all honesty in the UFC game, as soon as the fight goes to the ground, if you not passing guard in the 1st 10 seconds the ref stands you up.

Being a MMA fan and a huge BJJ fan, I love the ground game. And so far I don't see it represented well in the UFC demo.

# 8 Jukeman @ 05/23/10 12:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotmadskillzson
IMO I rather people struggle trying to get submissions on the ground for minutes instead of that instant sub or KO stuff I see going on in this UFC demo. In all honesty in the UFC game, as soon as the fight goes to the ground, if you not passing guard in the 1st 10 seconds the ref stands you up.

Being a MMA fan and a huge BJJ fan, I love the ground game. And so far I don't see it represented well in the UFC demo.
agree, plus it seem like their clock is not accelerated so all the struggle for position is needed...

Both MMA games can learn from each other

# 9 allBthere @ 05/23/10 02:05 PM
between this and the control article I'm fairly meh about this game.

the submission system is better than UFC already for sure to me.

I'm REALLY disappointed that they pretty much copied UFC with the ground game. Yeah it's buttons, but it's the same advancing positions one at a time and the other blocking. I was hoping for something new and different in all aspects of the game. Ground striking looked very bad, but standing not as much. This surprised me because I think the punching in FN4 sucks so bad because it's all tap-tap pillow punches. The jab and hook looked ok to me (uppercut looked slow and stupid) and the kicks actually looked pretty good to me.

Ring movement was bad. Takedowns looked awesome to me.

If they don't ruin the game with typical EA gimmicks like the counter window I may actually pick this up.

I wonder if you can hold someone down in this game too like others brought up?

Overall I'm actually pleasantly surprised. The gameplay there looked way better than those commercials during the last strikeforce.

I'm 100% giving this game a shot, I kind of wrote it off earlier but as long as they don't make some left turn from here to release, I can totally see myself grabbing it.

# 10 SHAKYR @ 05/23/10 04:53 PM
The game looks very gimmicky, not many people are going to like all the gimmicks. The punch impacts suck horribly.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.