Home
NHL 11 News Post

With all the exciting news coming from NHL 11, here is another exciting gem. It seems we could very well see NCAA Hockey as well. Hit up Kotaku for the scoop.

Quote:
"While we don't have a formal announcement to make at this moment, we are certainly in discussions with EA Sports and they are very interested in having a college component to their game," Kelly told the show. "We, the colleges, are very interested in having that happen and we are just currently in the process of figuring out what dimensions that ought to take. [But] just as there is going to be a CHL component to the video game, there will be a college hockey component as well."

That doesn't necessarily mean for NHL 11 due in September, Kelly said.

"I'm hopeful. I don't know much about the development of video games," he told the show. ""If we come to a finality here in the next couple of weeks and whether that would give them enough time to roll it out in time for September ... I would hope so but I don't know the answer to that."

NCAA Hockey Video Game on the Way (Thepipelineshow)

Quote:
"Last week the Canadian Hockey League and EA Sports formally announced that the next edition of their NHL series would include teams and players from all three Canadian Major Junior leagues.

According to Paul Kelly, the NCAA and EA Sports are very close to announcing a similar agreement to bring the U.S. College game to the masses in the same format."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 Fiddy @ 05/27/10 07:47 AM
man, if this is true for this year or even next year. then all this game is missing is the ECHL and NHL Classic Teams!!

# 22 ImTellinTim @ 05/27/10 08:27 AM
While it would be nice to be able to play as college teams in a play now mode, I'd want all the conferences (WCHA, CCHA, etc.), holiday tournaments, conference tournaments, and the PairWise formulas for NCAA tournament selection. Get D1 right first, and then add D3 down the road.

Am I asking too much?

Edit: Forgot to add - all the arenas. Or at least the correct dimensions for each rink.

# 23 slickdtc @ 05/27/10 09:33 AM
Wow! As if we knew what to do with the other leagues they're throwing at us.

Seriously, this is pretty awesome. Real NCAA teams and licensing within a professional sports game? Never really crossed my mind, but it's a great way to give the NCAA hockey teams and players more exposure (though I guess those players would be generated names and/or just #'s) without making it its own game. And if it takes off... then maybe it can become its own.

However, it'll probably be very barebones, and I doubt they'll be able to fit it in this year. We're just 3 months from release now. I doubt you'll see any recruiting and other deeper elements until the 2nd, 3rd, etc editions with the NCAA teams in the game.

Still, completely and utterly awesome.

# 24 PBlast @ 05/27/10 09:35 AM
I love hockey, I love football, I don't really watch the college versions of either (sometimes football, but I'm from Canada so it's not that big here). Still, I would get this game but only if it works the same as the NCAA football game so that I can import draft classes.

# 25 huntt26 @ 05/27/10 10:35 AM
Now they need to put NCAA teams in NBA live

# 26 Money99 @ 05/27/10 11:30 AM
I wonder if they're going to have all the NCAA tourny's in the game.
Playing in the Beanpot would be awesome!

# 27 str8artist @ 05/27/10 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Non soccer fans would disagree. The day I buy a soccer game or give a crap about soccer is the same day I get it on with Nicole Kidman. In other words it isn't gonna happen.
Sorry my man, but I am not a big soccer fan.. I am going off game sales and gameplay options. But that is other topic lets stay on this. NCAA hockey.

# 28 SinisterAlex @ 05/27/10 11:37 AM
I honestly could care less for collage hockey. I wouldn't buy it as a seperate game, and I wouldn't play as any of the teams in NHL 11.

No thanks.

# 29 tyler289 @ 05/27/10 11:44 AM
If they could add in a season mode for the NCAA teams where you recruit...omg, I'd be in heaven.

# 30 tylerd02 @ 05/27/10 01:02 PM
They'll only have numbers but they'll be editable. Probably only as a play now option but if they added a whole dynasty feature i'd be in heaven. I would love a ncaa hockey game but adding it to nhl makes sense. My guess is nhl 12 would be the first time we see anything for college. If it makes 11 that'd be pretty quick work. Probably only with generic rinks and only play now option though. I'd look at 12 as being the year for full implementation.

This is great news though. Lets go BUCKY!

# 31 Money99 @ 05/27/10 01:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
If they could add in a season mode for the NCAA teams where you recruit...omg, I'd be in heaven.
Me too! I don't follow NCAA hockey nearly as much as the CHL, but the recruitment process would be great to deal with.
I loved doing that in the MVP series.

# 32 Kobalt @ 05/27/10 02:21 PM
If this happens, I would be so excited.

# 33 Mikey88 @ 05/27/10 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by str8artist
Sorry my man, but I am not a big soccer fan.. I am going off game sales and gameplay options. But that is other topic lets stay on this. NCAA hockey.
ah so when you say its the best title you mean the most successful in terms of sales and gameplay options? huh?

Anyway, I think adding NCAA teams is a great idea - anytime you can add different teams and different leagues, I'm all for it.

# 34 Matt Diesel @ 05/27/10 02:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Non soccer fans would disagree. The day I buy a soccer game or give a crap about soccer is the same day I get it on with Nicole Kidman. In other words it isn't gonna happen.
You couldnt of though of someone younger and hotter than Kidman? I mean if its not gonna happen, go all out.

If its a stand-alone game or incorporated into NHL, I'm totally down.

# 35 StatMan79 @ 05/27/10 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
While this is intriguing, it doesn't do *that* much for me. Being a 30-year-old Canadian - NCAA hockey will always be something of a joke to me. I know it's relevancy is growing and more players are spending time in the NCAA.

But, the same stringent rules on eligibility and amateurism for football and basketball. This means none of the real players will be represented. But, it'd be cool as a recruitment/drafting/development area along with the CHL.
What juniors is to Canadians, NCAA hockey is to Americans. To put down one while propping up the other is pointless to say.

# 36 Vikes1 @ 05/27/10 05:47 PM
I'm really looking forward to a blog, or some kind of contact from Red_Shirt to kinda clear up some of this very early news.

The early news has been so impressive, I'd love to start getting some details about all this stuff.

# 37 jrgom81 @ 05/27/10 06:13 PM
i wonder if they will use the same format as college football & basketball, by creating the real players, and just have RW#17 as the name, and we could edit the names to the correct players.

Question, if they do the college teams, would NHL teams have rights to the players drafted that are still playing college hockey??

# 38 cdawg44 @ 05/27/10 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_OS
With all the exciting news coming from NHL 11, here is another exciting gem. It seems we could very well see NCAA Hockey as well. Hit up Kotaku for the scoop.

NCAA Hockey Video Game on the Way (Thepipelineshow)

You had me at hello!!!

# 39 StatMan79 @ 05/28/10 03:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
The NCAA as a developmental breeding ground is a fairly recent phenomenon.

So, while the NCAA may be the American equivalent of the CHL now (which I would debate strongly), this is a fairly new development. The NCAA did not produce a fraction of the players it does now. Hence, the reason I cited my age being the reason I felt that way.

That's not "putting down" the NCAA, it's stating a simple fact. Fact being that their relative relation compared to the CHL in the pre-2000 was a joke.

I went on to say that while it does little for me in terms of playability, it does offer more increased access to players and watching them develop which is cool.

Further, I also said that while the school may be represented, the players are still considered amateur and thus cannot be accurately depicted in the game. Saying that was not a knock on the level of hockey, but on the NCAA stranglehold on player rights.

I like that the NCAA is added. It just isn't anything that will add value to me because they can't use the real players.
I'd suggest educating yourself in what players have played NCAA hockey before slagging it. You might be pretty surprised at some of what you find.

I'm hoping EA would allow a locker-type feature for users to share "adjusted" NCAA rosters so that your closing point would be rendered moot. At the least, people will be able to edit the players they'll know belong to their teams.

# 40 Redshirt_EA @ 05/28/10 06:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
I'm really looking forward to a blog, or some kind of contact from Red_Shirt to kinda clear up some of this very early news.

The early news has been so impressive, I'd love to start getting some details about all this stuff.
This thread is all news to me too...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.