Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Gamespot has posted an interview with David Littman, Creative Director for NBA Elite 11.

Quote:
Gamespot: "There's a new shooting mechanic too, one that sounds a bit like the skill stick in the NHL series. How will it work?"

David Littman: "In real life, shooting is skill based. Players practice every day to become better shooters. In basketball video games, shooting has not had much skill attached. Sure there is some skill to get it to your best shooter who is open for a shot, but that is more strategy than skill. Once a player shoots in almost every basketball game ever made, it is up to player attributes, how open he is, an under-the-hood formula, and a tiny bit of when you release the button to determine if the shot will go in. I do not feel very satisfied when I make a shot in basketball games. With the new shooting mechanic, it is all skill based, but at the same time it users player attributes. If you have played Tiger Woods golf, you have an idea of what the shooting mechanic is.

The shot is based on real life. You move the right stick up to start your shot and release it to release the ball. You have control of the accuracy and the distance. If you move the RS perfectly up to 12:00, your shot will go straight. If you miss left, the ball will go left. Miss it right, and the ball will go right. When you release the ball will control the distance. Release early, and the shot will be short. Release late, and the shot will be long. The system is so realistic that you can do manual bank shots by purposely aiming left or right and a bit long."

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BiggD @ 06/02/10 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I would like to know if things are sig based or are you pulling off the same moves with Dwight as you are with Bynum
Good point... are the moves "packaged" based??

# 22 krazyboy225 @ 06/02/10 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggD
Good point... are the moves "packaged" based??
Hopefully they are... in live 10 the signature moves were poorly done.

They need to take signature moves down to the players dribbling styles....

# 23 Behindshadows @ 06/02/10 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
I would like to know if things are sig based or are you pulling off the same moves with Dwight as you are with Bynum
In due time, that info will be revealed. I like the info on the controls though I just hope it plays out.

And man is DNA really gone, was it a bust or is it being revamped? That should be the question....And who is taking over Marcus S. position in updating, accessories, shoes, etc?

# 24 ehh @ 06/02/10 11:03 PM
DNA was definitely a bust.

# 25 bigeastbumrush @ 06/02/10 11:06 PM
Are those Elite pics (Magic/Bucks)?

Looks an awful like Live 10. I don't see anything that states they're from Elite.

# 26 ehh @ 06/02/10 11:07 PM
^ Yeah, I was going to ask a graphic whore, I mean guru, to give some insight on that.

Visually I had no issue with Live '10 though. The player models were fine to me. I don't care if they remain largely the same in '11.

It is funny how many people are commenting on the screenshots though when we got SO much info in the text.

# 27 23 @ 06/02/10 11:09 PM
Im guessing they are early pics and not finshed product models of course because LOL they know better

# 28 ehh @ 06/02/10 11:10 PM
I don't see any NBA logo on the socks, so I doubt they're '10 pics.

# 29 RubenDouglas @ 06/02/10 11:15 PM
sounds like a daunting task with so much being added. I dont want to spell it out right now, but in the past, that would lead to one games initial vision actually taking 3-4 years to iron the big issues out. Are we back to from a grounds up perspective?

# 30 23 @ 06/02/10 11:16 PM
Not 10 but maybe 10.5 at this stage, ehh

WIP man. Im just giving a possible scenario

Still, I have my own reservations about things

# 31 noshun @ 06/02/10 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
In due time, that info will be revealed. I like the info on the controls though I just hope it plays out.

And man is DNA really gone, was it a bust or is it being revamped? That should be the question....And who is taking over Marcus S. position in updating, accessories, shoes, etc?
I think Yaw is taking over. DNA was a bust man. Mo Williams and his 3 pt bomb squad(M.Miller,Bibby,Nash, & others) made DNA seem useless in some cases.

# 32 noshun @ 06/02/10 11:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 23
Im guessing they are early pics and not finshed product models of course because LOL they know better
Atleast in these picts they dont have that 'fresh out the frying pan look.' Althought the players look angry now.. esp Vince.

# 33 clivo1050 @ 06/02/10 11:20 PM
Wow, this looks DOPE!!! I wanna see this in motion. Hopefully we get something at e3.

# 34 ehh @ 06/02/10 11:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
sounds like a daunting task with so much being added. I dont want to spell it out right now, but in the past, that would lead to one games initial vision actually taking 3-4 years to iron the big issues out. Are we back to from a grounds up perspective?
Someone didn't read the entire article.

# 35 TreyIM2 @ 06/02/10 11:32 PM
Sounds good, sounds good. Like I said before, I didn't believe they would TOTALLY go in a "different direction" like Mike Wang said, and Littman said that they ARE building on what was already built in Live 10. Whatever Wang meant, it's whatever. EA DID go in a diff direction by probably letting him go along with Marcus Stephenson. The game sounds like it's definitely going to get better.

I was very excited to hear about being able to control your upper body separately while on the move WITHOUT canned animations! HOT, HOT, HOT!! Can't wait to strip heads while on the move and I would assume the steal "animation" would be contextual to the players and where the ball is. Plus, wasn't there mention of 1:1 control in the Elite announcement? WOOOO!

Everything sounds good HOWEVER, what is Littman talking about with manual bank shots?? It's in Live 10 or did someone forget to tell him? Lol. Whatever the case, I am fiending for more info!

# 36 RubenDouglas @ 06/02/10 11:37 PM
nah i read it all. they mention not a true overhaul as they want to take the great parts of last years game and combine it with new. but what could really be saved? With the amount of NEW features that are being implemented, it almost seems like a true overhaul.

im left confused but highly optimistic

# 37 TreyIM2 @ 06/02/10 11:37 PM
As for the angry game faces, not sure if I agree with that, completely. Looks like they are all in "gameface" mode, even Dwight, for once. Lol.

Another thing about the pics, the players don't look shiny like in Live 10 nor does the color palette look oversaturated as usual. I like that. 2K10 actually outdid Live 10 in the looks department, imo, and seems like EA took heed BUT I actually have to admit that the pics are lacking something. Just doesn't punch me in the brain.

# 38 23 @ 06/02/10 11:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubenDouglas
nah i read it all. they mention not a true overhaul as they want to take the great parts of last years game and combine it with new. but what could really be saved? With the amount of NEW features that are being implemented, it almost seems entirely new.

im left confused but highly optimistic
I agree to a degree, because for one it seems the dribble mechanic in general was overhauled. How about sig shots? Things of that nature and more, ratings, dna, etc... etc...

Why go in a new direction but keep things that didnt sell? None of this makes sense

# 39 funkysven @ 06/02/10 11:47 PM
One thing I noticed in the screenshot is that Boguts hair in the first pic looks actually real compared to how it looked in 2010's game.

# 40 Pared @ 06/02/10 11:53 PM
Things look promising (from this article).

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.