Home
NHL 11 News Post

Gameinformer has posted some more NHL 11 details, in their first look preview.

Quote:
"To help the CPU keep up with all the blazing dekes, brutal checks, and the loosened goaltending, EA Canada has reworked the AI to boost its skill set. Players have more awareness to avoid vicious checks, and employ dekes more frequently to keep your defender off balance. Both the goalie and offside defenders do a better job of patrolling the crease and stopping those improbable cross-ice passes that gamers have over-relied upon to score back door goals the past few years.

Other on-ice improvements include user-controlled celebrations, broken sticks, and a brand new face-off system that lets you shoot from the circle, kick the puck back to a defensemen after trying up your opponent's stick, and flip your bottom hand to improve your chances of winning a face-off to your backhand side. With real puck physics in place, winning the face-off is no longer about jamming the analog stick before the opposing center - your stick must come in contract with the bouncing puck to gain possession. Swing too early and you could whiff on the puck. The various tactics at play gives each drop of the puck a paper, rock, scissors feel, breathing new life into a formerly stale system most players mastered long ago."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 SinisterAlex @ 06/08/10 12:57 PM
I cannot wait for this new faceoff system. I'm a legend center in OTP (won over 61% of my draws) so I cannot wait for this!!!

# 22 Qb @ 06/08/10 01:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicLegend
I cannot wait for this new faceoff system. I'm a legend center in OTP (won over 61% of my draws) so I cannot wait for this!!!
I'm an OTP center as well, so I was particularly enthused when Littman did his show & tell opening presentation. I believe I'll be able to talk about it in more detail in the near future...

# 23 06woz @ 06/08/10 01:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I'm an OTP center as well, so I was particularly enthused when Littman did his show & tell opening presentation. I believe I'll be able to talk about it in more detail in the near future...
Actually I believe the embargo has recently been lifted for faceoffs and dekes. Although you probably have more details than I do.

# 24 bh446066 @ 06/08/10 02:53 PM
Holy Lord, I think I just made a small poopie in my pants.....yep.....sure did.

# 25 Qb @ 06/08/10 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Actually I believe the embargo has recently been lifted for faceoffs and dekes. Although you probably have more details than I do.
In fact I did receive an email from Alain today:

Quote:
You are now welcome to discuss the following:

(Now) - NHL Slapshot – First look: gameplay & stick impressions (no Game Modes yet)

(Tomorrow: Tuesday) – NHL 11 – Hands-on: Physics, face-offs, broken sticks, new dekes
So I will be discussing said items. My time will be scarce tonight, but I should have some time at work tomorrow. I need to get a formal post or two together to be featured on the OS front page, but I should be able to answer a few questions here & there in the meantime.

I'll put up a Q&A thread to make it easier on myself.

# 26 Vikes1 @ 06/08/10 10:40 PM
Yep Qb...looking forward to reading your impressions on just how much the new physic will affect the game this year.

# 27 Qb @ 06/09/10 09:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
I'll put up a Q&A thread to make it easier on myself.
Well, I was in the process of posting a Q&A thread last night, but my our laptop crapped out. I'll try to get my impressions up, but I see Luger has already beat me to the punch...

# 28 CarryTheWeight @ 06/10/10 06:16 PM
Looks like EA finally added Stanley Cup finals patches (according to this screenshot on GI). A tad oversized, but EXCELLENT nonetheless:

# 29 onlybygrace @ 06/10/10 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryTheWeight
Looks like EA finally added Stanley Cup finals patches (according to this screenshot on GI). A tad oversized, but EXCELLENT nonetheless:

Love the real-time physics behind that stick floating above the ice there. lol

I know, I know, it could be bouncing or sliding...but still...they need to pick better screens. There are a lot of Critical Christophers out there. heh. eh. yeah.

# 30 Vikes1 @ 06/11/10 03:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Wingardium Leviosa

Still looks good too me.

The more I think about it maybe the stick is warped. It would do that if it was warp, just think of a warp 2 by 4.
That's what it looks like to me too Scott.

It looks like the stick is touching the ice towards the broken end.

# 31 b3organ @ 06/11/10 04:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottdau
Wingardium Leviosa
Someone hasn't been accurate enough (picking some another screen would do the magic). The only solution I can come up with is that maybe the stick has been hit and it rotates around the end that touches ice. Or as QBG said, it just slides/bounces.

# 32 actionhank @ 06/12/10 03:52 AM
I love all of these things they are adding, but one thing i hope they add, is being able to control your guy all of the time.
Those moments where you get hooked and spin out, with the puck just sitting there on your stick, but you can't pass, or even move, you're just sliding frozen in some awful animation.
Or more importantly, give us control over the swings in air, and the batting of the puck, or the grabbing it out of mid-air.
I'm glad my guys are trying, but i had a goal scored on me when Pronger tried batting at a puck that got bounced up near the corner, that i was skating as him towards, which he completely missed and the animation sent him into the corner...unfortunately the other team just picked it up and shot it right by my goalie.
Then later in the same period, i was on the PK, and i tried to clear the puck, only to have my own guy grab it out of the air in our own zone, and set it down...
He then got stick-lifted and stood there dumbfounded as the other team put the puck away again.
If they would just give me complete control, that with all of these features they are adding will make me a happy camper.

# 33 plaidchuck @ 06/12/10 10:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionhank
I love all of these things they are adding, but one thing i hope they add, is being able to control your guy all of the time.
Agreed they need to fix the 2 second "blackout" your player has when he is sticklifted. Also the animation when you're slashed needs some adjustment. It's okay in the middle of the game to shake his hand and stuff for a penalty, but to do it when the player's team is behind near the end of the game? No matter if a penalty is called or not the player isn't going to just stop and wag his hand when he could try to continue the play and make something happen.

# 34 akula89 @ 06/12/10 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Agreed they need to fix the 2 second "blackout" your player has when he is sticklifted. .
I read it was NOT fixed. disappointing to say the least..

# 35 swil @ 06/13/10 03:39 PM
i like how you can still affect the play after being checked by using your stick while on the ice. Might lead to some Ovechkin-esque goals.

# 36 Evan_OS @ 06/13/10 03:50 PM
I'm stoked for this game.

# 37 onlybygrace @ 06/13/10 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck
Agreed they need to fix the 2 second "blackout" your player has when he is sticklifted. Also the animation when you're slashed needs some adjustment. It's okay in the middle of the game to shake his hand and stuff for a penalty, but to do it when the player's team is behind near the end of the game? No matter if a penalty is called or not the player isn't going to just stop and wag his hand when he could try to continue the play and make something happen.
Now thats good critism.

# 38 Cycloniac @ 06/13/10 09:20 PM
All this game needs now is presentation.

# 39 onlybygrace @ 06/13/10 09:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycloniac
All this game needs now is presentation.
Truth. Its early yet, however, and I'd be willing to bet there is good news for us on the way.

# 40 TIm @ 06/13/10 10:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
Truth. Its early yet, however, and I'd be willing to bet there is good news for us on the way.
Guys,
What are you looking for in regards to presentation? I play NHL 10 and love the game.. Presentation/Announcing is fine... Help me out here.. More Stat overlays? Just a general questions

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.