Home
NHL 11 News Post

IGN has posted their NHL 11 impressions.

Quote:
"In order to combat all of this crazy checking action, the developers from EA's Vancouver studio have given players a new quick deke ability. The mechanics are extraordinarily easy. All you have to do is hold the left shoulder button and flick the right analog stick to the right or left and your guy will pull off a deke. Of course, as soon as I successfully pulled off my first deke, I tried to take a wrist shot and wound up snapping my stick. It was a little disgruntling, but it was still pretty damn cool.

The final addition to NHL 11 to make its way into EA Sports' E3 demo was user-controlled celebrations. By using both the face buttons and triggers, players can access a large library of goal celebrations. The one I saw was essentially a guy sliding face-first down on the ice, hands outstretched. I was told there were plenty more to be had, but that's all I saw in my short demo at E3."

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 UwantRadie @ 06/16/10 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama83
True. OT celebrations tend to be over the top for a couple reasons:
1) After an exhausting game it's nice to win; and more importantly
2) You don't take another shift.

If you took another shift against a team with any gumption, you'd taste powdered enamel.
Exactly. It's odd because I am a HUGE sim guy but I really feel like the game doesnt capture the excitment of scoring a goal... I think better camera angles and presentation would help this better then new celebrations, but we'll see.

Quote:
Like I said - kick + face. I'm a bit of a Prongling goon kind of guy.
Ugh... Why not act like someone will more class... like Hitler maybe?

Quote:
That's my fear. EA's track record tends to make me think it'll be foolish.
Oh I understand the fear... I got it too, but I guess for me I am a little less apprehensive just becasue I have felt the celebrations were lacking for a long time. They arent real now, so even if they arent real in NHL 11, at least they are different ones.

I will certainly learn all the celebrations and how dramatic they are and will only do ones that fit the situation.. Hopefully the AI does the same.

I will also add this... The Pro Evolution Soccer series has had in my mind the best goal replay system in recent years. We should steal that. It was very simple but effective... First a replay consisting of action angles and multiple cuts, then a replay from more of a "follow" camera, then the 3rd replay actually opened up the replay controls for you automatically. You could control everything, but the real sweet spot was that the action would start rolling in slow motion and you could just opt to only control the camera angles as you watched... So simple so elegant... One last thing.. all 3 replays had very fast and responsive "skip" buttons".

# 22 onlybygrace @ 06/16/10 03:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bh446066
I don't recall seeing anywhere that you would be required to use them? I would think a user controlled celebration would be very applicable on a game winning goal. I'm going to quote the movie 'Stripes' now...."Lighten up, Francis."
This.

This is all the review really said about the celebrations...

'The one I saw was essentially a guy sliding face-first down on the ice, hands outstretched. I was told there were plenty more to be had, but that's all I saw in my short demo at E3.'

When you get the game, find the ones you like and use those...if you see someone online do something you find over the top, go and find him after the whistle.

But, above all, stop whining like little girls.

# 23 UwantRadie @ 06/16/10 03:57 PM
Quote:
Would it only weaken my case to say my favorite player of all time is Lindros?
Ha.. only slightly.

I hate Philly*, so there is obviously some tension there to start with, but I still recall how great the Lindros-Renberg-Recchi line was and I appreciate skill so that gives him some more points.

Plus he did come to my Rangers for a while.

And I do have a soft spot in my heart for all athletes who had their careers cut short.

Ehh. Lindros wasnt such a bad guy...

But Pronger? I dont know if you have kids, but any father who saw what he did with the pucks during the finals should use that opportunity to illustrate how you dont disrespect the sport or opponent like that. My kid is only a year old (in 4 days actually) and when he is old enough to play sports, I will personally suspend him from playing for pulling anything like that.

To use the national stage like that to display such lack of class was a black eye on the sport.

Oddly (or maybe not so), this comes back to the celebrations... you dont show up the other team... I dont think it is too hard to find that balance of celebrating without showing up the other team.

# 24 UwantRadie @ 06/16/10 04:02 PM
I just thought of the PERFECT solution...

CUSTOM FIVE MAN HUGS!

Well, I never thought I would ever type (or say) that!

Think about it.. You score, the team comes over, you can choose to do your celebrating on the boards, behind the net or skate up back toward the bench before finally hugging, then you control whether you pat the heads of the guys or just hug as well as other minor things...

The sad part is I am only half-kidding.

# 25 Qb @ 06/16/10 04:03 PM
What exactly is going on here today? Everyone needs to cool down and not get so worked up over speculation. Above all, the snarky jabs at each other need to stop.

# 26 UwantRadie @ 06/16/10 04:07 PM
I feel like Qb put his warning to be nice in the wrong thread... lol

# 27 Money99 @ 06/16/10 04:19 PM
I don't mind user-controlled celebrations. Someone here already said the previous ones were terrible and I couldn't agree more.

Just as long as the CPU isn't doing a superman-dive after scoring a goal in the 1st period of Game 1 of the regular season, I'll be cool with it.

But if he does, at least we have post-whistle controls at our command. Dale Hunter anyone?

# 28 tyler289 @ 06/16/10 04:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyermania
Over-the-top celebrations have no place in a "sim" game IMO. Hopefully this type of "addition" didn't take time away from the attention the CPU AI drastically needs.
Agreed. They should have just taken common celebrations from the real NHL and used those.

If the custom celebrations are like the old ones I'm going to really hate it.

# 29 Vikes1 @ 06/16/10 08:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler289
They should have just taken common celebrations from the real NHL and used those.
Yep, I agree.

I guess I'm just not a "over the top" kinda guy.

But I know I have to share the game with those that might be. So I guess I can deal with it if must be. I play about 90% of my games in GM mode...so I'm hoping a quick hit of the "A" button will nix any complete foolishness.

But like others have kinda said...I sure hope they spend more time on the AI, than this kind of stuff.

# 30 Lubey @ 06/16/10 08:53 PM
If you don't like huge celebrations, don't use them. FIFA has them and it doesn't ruin the game. They wouldn't have added them if no one wanted them. If they made a game designed for the super sim crowd they wouldn't make as much money as they are appealing to a broader crowd. It's just how it is.

It'll be like the ******** equipment from last year. Annoying? Yes. Game ruining? Absolutely not.

# 31 tyler289 @ 06/16/10 09:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
Yep, I agree.

I guess I'm just not a "over the top" kinda guy.

But I know I have to share the game with those that might be. So I guess I can deal with it if must be. I play about 90% of my games in GM mode...so I'm hoping a quick hit of the "A" button will nix any complete foolishness.

But like others have kinda said...I sure hope they spend more time on the AI, than this kind of stuff.
Yea most of my games are offline so as long as one of the buttons is for a group hug, a board jump, fist pump, I'm fine. Just don't make them all completely ridiculous:

Anyone remember NHL2002 (I think) that had custom celebrations? They were all completely ridiculous. I don't want tht.

# 32 voodoo_magic @ 06/16/10 10:00 PM
Hopefully I can trigger a celebration with the opposing goalie joining us after we score on him, I mean I want it to be as sim as possible like nhl'10 was.

# 33 JimmyDeicide @ 06/17/10 12:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapdinger69

When I see that fact sheet they have I cringe when i see broken sticks as a major bulletized feature. I realize sticks break, but is it really that big of a deal to put it as a major feature WOW BROKEN STICKS! its just odd to me. And after broken sticks NHL 11's new patented keep your player hydrated feature!!!! Now control how much water your player drinks, make sure they don't feel thirsty!!! And Dont forget to gas up the zamboni either!
LOL is that why my defensive teamate couldnt pick up the forward at the back post because he was thirsty?

Skating and Ai needs some love, in the NHL11 vid the players look like they are wearing hover skates looks worse than ever.

# 34 onlybygrace @ 06/17/10 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
LOL is that why my defensive teamate couldnt pick up the forward at the back post because he was thirsty?

Skating and Ai needs some love, in the NHL11 vid the players look like they are wearing hover skates looks worse than ever.
Yeah...so much more totally worse than ever completely for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, how do you know that??? Did you run an experiment???

# 35 UwantRadie @ 06/17/10 03:03 PM
Quote:
No place in the NHL and no place in an NHL game.

If I wanted to watch a league of showoffs and boisterous goofs - I'd watch the NBA.

Ovechkin will get his. Trust me.

Ehh, I am torn on this.. I think there certainly is a place for celebrations in real life. I just think it need to be respectful.

But you got to celebrate.. the fans are going nuts, and horns and songs are blaring on the PA, plus you just busted your *** with your teamates (more then likely anyway) to score a goal against one of the best goalies in the world... you deserve a little celebration.

Ovie does cross that line occasionally and yeah, he will get his, but even with him, I dont think that over-celebrating in the NHL is really an issue. I am pretty happy with it as it is... even with the occasional "line-stepper".

# 36 onlybygrace @ 06/17/10 08:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Guess there's just no pleasing some people.
Its so true I have it in a tattoo...

or at least I should.

I'm sorry a lot of you are so hard to please...

I guess...well...I guess...

I guess it just makes me more thankful that I am one of those people who just appreciates everything I'm seeing unfold before my eyes.

I'm 30, which means I'm old enough to have played an *** load of NHLPA in 92 or 93 when I was just a kid. Therefore, something about that experience has caused a great appreciation for what NHL11 will be.

I'm just thankful all over aren't I???

Hardly. I just really like this game.

# 37 tyler289 @ 06/17/10 08:44 PM
Ovechkin did the hot-stick celebration once. Out of 269 career goals. The celebrations I wish games like this would be the expressions of pure joy and happiness that we see from every player after goals. They need to capture the excitement of the game.

# 38 Araxen @ 06/17/10 09:34 PM
Quote:

Ovechkin will get his. Trust me.
People have been saying this for a longtime. I'm not holding out for anything happening to Ove anytime soon.

It would be cool if they put in some real goal celebrations and not some made up ones. Like the one Buff uses to make the Vancouver fans mad would be nice. lol.

# 39 acidraindrops08 @ 06/17/10 10:09 PM
I play this game religiously and believe this is awesome. If you play online then you should have absolutely no qualms with this being added. Whats better then choosing which way to rub a hard earned goal in you're opponents face? I'm sure this didn't hurt any other aspects of the game. I don't see why anyone would be displeased with this. If you don't like it, then don't use it. Yes, it is a simulation, the best sports sim out there. At the same time tho its still a video game, have fun...

# 40 onlybygrace @ 06/17/10 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidraindrops08
I play this game religiously and believe this is awesome. If you play online then you should have absolutely no qualms with this being added. Whats better then choosing which way to rub a hard earned goal in you're opponents face? I'm sure this didn't hurt any other aspects of the game. I don't see why anyone would be displeased with this. If you don't like it, then don't use it. Yes, it is a simulation, the best sports sim out there. At the same time tho its still a video game, have fun...
Now that was a nice 200th post...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.