Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

Since EA MMA doesn't have the license to the largest MMA company, they know they will have an uphill battle in the octagon video game cage. From what I saw today, though, their gameplay may have what it takes to take the fight three rounds, especially due to the "pick up and play" feel the game has/

The biggest gameplay feature, Total Striking, takes a page from Fight Night. It uses the R-Stick to map all punches. Add the Left Trigger/L2 modifier and you have an arsenal of kicks, as well. Blocking is mapped to the Right Trigger, which also allows "Parrying" if perfectly timed (also taken from Fight Night). A/X is your take down button, and B/O is your takedown block. Both buttons are also used as your transition/transition block when you are on the ground.

Now, the controls are fairly straightforward, but it is the way they are implemented that really pushes ease of use. When you push the Takedown button with no left control stick, it will try to use the best takedown move available at the time. But, if you manipulate the stick while pushing attempting the move, you can control exactly what you want to do. This seems to allow for new and casual gamers to not be overwhelmed with the game while allowing veteran MMA fans the opportunity to really pick an opponent apart.

Some things I am possibly worried about are the fighting styles looked very similar on different fighters with my limited time with the game. I hope to get more in depth with the game today and find out how much individualism each fighter has. I also would like to see more punch combinations to see if the "robotic" feel of striking is just not stringing together punches and kicks fluidly on the controller.

For more on EA MMA throughout E3, follow me on Twitter at @millenniumOS and @operationsports

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 butcherblack @ 06/16/10 01:54 PM
I'm really looking forward to this game.

# 2 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/16/10 03:22 PM
striking on the right stick has destined to fail written all over it. The main gripe with fightnight is how complex it was to throw a simple jab hook combo. Now imagine having to throw kicks in the mix. I want this game to be good, but I don't see how you can have a game with intuitive responsive controls that do exactly what you want under this control scheme. In my ipinion it is simply not possible.

# 3 delspf @ 06/16/10 06:13 PM
From what I heard it would be possible to remap it so you dont have to use the stick for punches and such.

Find out more on their career mode

# 4 denverbro89 @ 06/17/10 03:34 PM
This looks like it could be better than UFC, maybe I just like the Fight Night like controls, and the graphics are on par with Fight Night as well.

# 5 delspf @ 06/17/10 05:48 PM
Its like in alpha stage and is already better. Thats just how fubar UFC 2010 is.

# 6 MrMars @ 06/18/10 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
striking on the right stick has destined to fail written all over it. The main gripe with fightnight is how complex it was to throw a simple jab hook combo. Now imagine having to throw kicks in the mix. I want this game to be good, but I don't see how you can have a game with intuitive responsive controls that do exactly what you want under this control scheme. In my ipinion it is simply not possible.
I must disagree; while I am not really good at Fight Night per se, I have never found a problem throwing the punches I want when I want using the analog stick. Early on I found myself spamming the stick in all directions. However, once I realized i was much more successful with smaller more deliberate movements, then alternating between single punches and 2-3 punch combos that were realistic based on the openings given to me by my opponent, I seemed to enjoy the game more.

I Just hope that they don't employ the counter window system in Fight night for MMA when it comes to blocking and initiating transitions and submissions from the ground.

MrMars

# 7 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/20/10 01:33 AM
so a kick modifier replaces the body punch modifier. How does one go to the boddy then and if someone says hit the right stick down to the left or right please shoot me as I will have lost all faith in the game

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.