Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Gus Johnson recreates the Brandon Stokley call and gives a shout-out to Operation Sports.

For those of you that can't view the videos from OS, check out and subscribe to our Youtube page.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 PantherBeast_OS @ 06/17/10 09:45 AM
Nice video. Thanks alot Gus for the shout out to all of us OSers. Thanks alot steveo.

# 2 huskerwr38 @ 06/17/10 09:49 AM
Gus Johnson is awesome. I felt embarrassed for him when they put him on the spot to re-create that call. That sort of thing just doesn't come out on the spot, but he did do a great job at re-calling it. Anyways, I feel Madden didn't do a great job (from the vids that I've seen) at creating his enthusiasm. It's sort of there (and a far cry better than Hammon), but on TV his voice is so much more dynamic and he sounds much more exhilarating.

# 3 MrSkagTrendy @ 06/17/10 09:51 AM
I really hope Madden do Gus justice in this game..he's a great guy and it's clear he puts his heart and soul into this.

# 4 at23steelers @ 06/17/10 09:53 AM
I agree, he tries so hard at wanting the game to sound good. Ian did say the announcing at E3 is not in the final build yet, so we'll see how much it improves.

# 5 PantherBeast_OS @ 06/17/10 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
Gus Johnson is awesome. I felt embarrassed for him when they put him on the spot to re-create that call. That sort of thing just doesn't come out on the spot, but he did do a great job at re-calling it. Anyways, I feel Madden didn't do a great job (from the vids that I've seen) at creating his enthusiasm. It's sort of there (and a far cry better than Hammon), but on TV his voice is so much more dynamic and he sounds much more exhilarating.
Well bro Gus is just hired to do the lines and nothing else. EA is the one the butchers the lines for him when putting it together. But I do feel for him in the game.

# 6 UF Fan @ 06/17/10 09:54 AM
Gus will change Madden forever.

# 7 canes21 @ 06/17/10 09:56 AM
If Madden just said that over and over I would be ahppy. I'm talking about the way he calls the play. In Madden its dead silence until the snap. But when Gus was calling it he said 4 lines before the ball was even snapped. Then when it was snapped he said Orton drops back, then the balls tipped, then caught, etc.

Why is it so hard for the dev team to make the game sound that way too.

# 8 ODogg @ 06/17/10 09:59 AM
It seems Gus will be an improvement but not a big as of one as we all had hoped for. I agree with y'all who don't really fault Gus for it, it seems to be the way EA strings his lines together and forces him to say his lines in a certain way to string the lines together.

# 9 cdon2k @ 06/17/10 10:15 AM
A real dick-move by Moore to make him try and recreate the call on the spot. That said, I think some of the issues (besides what others have mentioned) come from the fact that they didn't change Collinsworth's lines. I understand why as rerecording some of his stuff would be tedious but there has to be some interaction there. Matter of fact, I am not sure they would even gel well even if they had recorded them together as their styles contrast so greatly. Sad too because I was starting to consider Chris as Mr. Madden because he seems like a true replacement for Al or John due to the fact that he comes from the NBC premier broadcast. Now they bring in a youthful guy who just doesn't fit with Chris so it really seems like they don't know what they want to do.

Not to be a Debbie owner, but I have to believe this is a result of not doing things right the first time. Sure, Tom sounded pretty bad, but it seems as if some thought was put in to how he and Chris sounded together. Now when you have to go back and correct a mistake like Tom not being a high enough quality announcer, then you get a situation like this one. I still am not sure what they were thinking pairing Chris and Gus though; it really is a head scratcher. They really should have just paid the piper and procured Al and Chris from the get go or went with a 2nd or 3rd tier team if they were only interested in saving money.

Really, multiple audio presentations are the only way to go. I could care less if they only were able to get a couple 3rd tier teams or in the worst possible scenario, a first or 2nd tier team plus the radio guy. I am not sure why they threw out all of that finished audio when they could have just added it say as another presentation option or used it for Thursday night games in franchise or something. I hope nothing but the best for the twisted direction they are going in, but it seems to me that Chris (Mr. Madden) will have to go now if they are putting so much on Gus.

# 10 DJ @ 06/17/10 10:28 AM
Gus is solid in NCAA Basketball 10. Again, a little understated compared to how he is irl, but like others have said, that's more do to the script-writing than anything else.

# 11 Lecrae @ 06/17/10 10:50 AM
If Johnson is yelling at me like that while I break away for a TD, I might just urinate in fear he's about to jump out of the screen and tackle me.

# 12 thudias @ 06/17/10 11:00 AM
NICE...that was exciting.

# 13 TreyIM2 @ 06/17/10 11:08 AM
I admit that I wasn't really "aware" of Gus Johnson like many prior to finding out he would be in Madden 11. I'd heard him before but didn't know who he was. Gus is my dude, now. He sounds great in the Denver/Skins clip from E3 on this page. Gus also looks thugged out with the oversized, all black Tigers cap to the side, barely showing his eyes - "Hat cocked/ Can't see his eyes/Who could it be?/ In that new black Tigers cap/Who but, uhh, Gus" LOL! Didn't know he was rugged like that.

As for the people complaining about how commentary, u gotta remember it's the tech/engine that is limiting. They are using old code from the PS2 days or further. Hopefully, they can get some advanced middleware or engineer their own tech to beef up commentary.

# 14 TreyIM2 @ 06/17/10 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
I admit that I wasn't really "aware" of Gus Johnson like many prior to finding out he would be in Madden 11. I'd heard him before but didn't know who he was. Gus is my dude, now. He sounds great in the Denver/Skins clip from E3 on this page. Gus also looks thugged out with the oversized, all black Tigers cap to the side, barely showing his eyes - "Hat cocked/ Can't see his eyes/Who could it be?/ In that new black Tigers cap/Who but, uhh, Gus" LOL! Didn't know he was rugged like that.

As for the people complaining about how commentary, u gotta remember it's the tech/engine that is limiting. They are using old code from the PS2 days or further. Hopefully, they can get some advanced middleware or engineer their own tech to beef up commentary.
My bad, that was the 49ers/Skins game clip that Gus was sounding great in. U can hear him somewhat in the Dallas/Skins clip but it's not as audible as the other clip.

# 15 PGaither84 @ 06/17/10 12:42 PM
Thank you to Gus!

Now, regarding presentation, commentery isn't just EA's fault. Hammond was boring when his lines played. At CD, Gus was still recording lines, so there weren't a lot in the game at that time, but those that were sounded great. I can't comment at all about timing or what we heard or anything, but to me that was proof enough that it isn't just EA's fault. I am going to leave presnetation to The Watcher because he does the best job at expressing the issues. Namely, 2k games [not just football] have set the standard in presentation. While Madden has yet to match the level set over over 5 years ago, 2k games have improved from year to year. NBA2k10 is so much better than ESPN 2k5's presentation, and I never thought I would say that. The key is that 2k games try to emulate TV style while EA is obsesed with their "precious little snowflake" unique video game perspective presnetation style that almost no one likes.

P.S. One thing that I find funny is how 2k games have a lot of nicely recorded filler lines between plays, or in the NBA game, as it plays out between big plays. EA, on the other hand, talks about how they want to avoid that kind of chatter and how Game Flow is supposed to help cut out that "down time" so they don't "have to" record filler.

# 16 at23steelers @ 06/17/10 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Thank you to Gus!

Now, regarding presentation, commentery isn't just EA's fault. Hammond was boring when his lines played. At CD, Gus was still recording lines, so there weren't a lot in the game at that time, but those that were sounded great. I can't comment at all about timing or what we heard or anything, but to me that was proof enough that it isn't just EA's fault. I am going to leave presnetation to The Watcher because he does the best job at expressing the issues. Namely, 2k games [not just football] have set the standard in presentation. While Madden has yet to match the level set over over 5 years ago, 2k games have improved from year to year. NBA2k10 is so much better than ESPN 2k5's presentation, and I never thought I would say that. The key is that 2k games try to emulate TV style while EA is obsesed with their "precious little snowflake" unique video game perspective presnetation style that almost no one likes.

P.S. One thing that I find funny is how 2k games have a lot of nicely recorded filler lines between plays, or in the NBA game, as it plays out between big plays. EA, on the other hand, talks about how they want to avoid that kind of chatter and how Game Flow is supposed to help cut out that "down time" so they don't "have to" record filler.
Did the announcing at CD, sound better than the current announcing on the videos?

# 17 DJ @ 06/17/10 01:10 PM
Peter Moore is so annoying. Asking Gus to re-create that call on the spot is ridiculous. And, the fact that when Moore first was talking with Gus about that play, he couldn't even get the teams right!

I know you don't have to like football to run a sports gaming company, but I'd think you'd want to at least have your ducks in a row, so to speak, when you bring someone on stage to interview them.

# 18 Spills22 @ 06/17/10 01:42 PM
Gus is adding so much to the commentating this year. I played a full game at the show yesterday and when Matthews broke out a big run and was running towards the endzone at the 10yd line Gus started saying the Batman theme...dun nuh nuh nuh nuh....it was so hot! I wonder if every player with have specific commentating or just certain players probably. Very cool addition. I love Gus!

# 19 at23steelers @ 06/17/10 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spills22
Gus is adding so much to the commentating this year. I played a full game at the show yesterday and when Matthews broke out a big run and was running towards the endzone at the 10yd line Gus started saying the Batman theme...dun nuh nuh nuh nuh....it was so hot! I wonder if every player with have specific commentating or just certain players probably. Very cool addition. I love Gus!
In your opinion, was the commentary you heard at the show, better than the deadspace commentary we are hearing in these videos?

# 20 Netherscourge @ 06/17/10 02:00 PM
I hope they let him do some improv.

If he's just reading the same script Hammond and Al Michaels were reading, then this is just a waste of time.

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.