Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

Gus Johnson recreates the Brandon Stokley call and gives a shout-out to Operation Sports.

For those of you that can't view the videos from OS, check out and subscribe to our Youtube page.

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 21 TreyIM2 @ 06/17/10 02:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spills22
Gus is adding so much to the commentating this year. I played a full game at the show yesterday and when Matthews broke out a big run and was running towards the endzone at the 10yd line Gus started saying the Batman theme...dun nuh nuh nuh nuh....it was so hot! I wonder if every player with have specific commentating or just certain players probably. Very cool addition. I love Gus!
NICE!

# 22 K_GUN @ 06/17/10 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGaither84
Thank you to Gus!

Now, regarding presentation, commentery isn't just EA's fault. Hammond was boring when his lines played. At CD, Gus was still recording lines, so there weren't a lot in the game at that time, but those that were sounded great. I can't comment at all about timing or what we heard or anything, but to me that was proof enough that it isn't just EA's fault. I am going to leave presnetation to The Watcher because he does the best job at expressing the issues. Namely, 2k games [not just football] have set the standard in presentation. While Madden has yet to match the level set over over 5 years ago, 2k games have improved from year to year. NBA2k10 is so much better than ESPN 2k5's presentation, and I never thought I would say that. The key is that 2k games try to emulate TV style while EA is obsesed with their "precious little snowflake" unique video game perspective presnetation style that almost no one likes.

P.S. One thing that I find funny is how 2k games have a lot of nicely recorded filler lines between plays, or in the NBA game, as it plays out between big plays. EA, on the other hand, talks about how they want to avoid that kind of chatter and how Game Flow is supposed to help cut out that "down time" so they don't "have to" record filler.

all good points but i'm surprised you failed to mention MLB the show 10...they nail presentation/commentary and have for years.

# 23 GaryT531 @ 06/17/10 04:05 PM
Hands down, my favorite announcer..."Rise and fire... Count it!", "From the parking lot!", "Pure!",

# 24 mjh91 @ 06/17/10 04:25 PM
Gus Johnson is all kinds of awesome.

# 25 ManiacMatt1782 @ 06/17/10 04:27 PM
he just really needs to stay away from mma, he is horrid at calling it.

# 26 king525 @ 06/17/10 07:48 PM
You gotta love this guys enthusiasm

# 27 Shawnj86 @ 06/17/10 09:20 PM
thats the homie

# 28 Brandwin @ 06/17/10 09:52 PM
Good stuff!

# 29 DreadedSteeler @ 06/17/10 10:23 PM
Love watching a game Gus Johnson is doing. I just wish there was an option to turn Collinsworth off and have play by play only.

# 30 Spills22 @ 06/17/10 10:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by at23steelers
In your opinion, was the commentary you heard at the show, better than the deadspace commentary we are hearing in these videos?
In my opinion yes on the commentary. I just hope they fix the bugs. Played the game again and there was a lot of stuff that didn't make sense. Also, new overtime rules were not in the demo I played at the show. We went to overtime and when the guy I was playing scored the game was over.

# 31 Tweeg @ 06/17/10 10:29 PM
haha I didn't know Gus Johnson was that cool of a guy. A sideways hat? He always seemed like a nerd to me, but now I like him.

# 32 at23steelers @ 06/18/10 12:18 AM
Quote:
In my opinion yes on the commentary. I just hope they fix the bugs. Played the game again and there was a lot of stuff that didn't make sense. Also, new overtime rules were not in the demo I played at the show. We went to overtime and when the guy I was playing scored the game was over.
Well, then I am hoping they didn't edit all of it out from CD, but have much more to add on to E3's to be as good as the CD demo and hopefully far surpass it. Ian did say it wasn't in the final build so we will see how much it improves in this month and a half.

# 33 MrSimCity @ 06/18/10 01:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeg
haha I didn't know Gus Johnson was that cool of a guy. A sideways hat? He always seemed like a nerd to me, but now I like him.
Not at all lol. He was like the life of the party at the EA Sports VIP reception for the MMA event last night. Shades on and everything

# 34 HarkTheSound @ 06/18/10 02:04 AM
Lmao Gus Johnson is so cool I swear. He looks so weird in street clothes and a hat, its awesome though. His voice is the greatest thing my ears have had a chance to listen to.

# 35 strawberryshortcake @ 06/18/10 02:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryT531
Hands down, my favorite announcer..."Rise and fire... Count it!", "From the parking lot!", "Pure!",
Quote:
Originally Posted by king525
You gotta love this guys enthusiasm
One of my favorite youtube 'videos' (audio only)

# 36 maddenps2 @ 06/18/10 02:38 AM
Thanks Gus, if you read this I hope you stay true to yourself and speak up and encourage EA to get those commentary lines the way you'd want them to be not the way they have them now, thanks man.

# 37 warrior7807 @ 06/18/10 02:48 AM
Quote:

i may be behind on here but did they end up adopting the rule for the whole regular season? i know they passed it for playoffs, im just not sure on the reg. season.

# 38 cdon2k @ 06/18/10 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdon2k
A real dick-move by Moore to make him try and recreate the call on the spot. That said, I think some of the issues (besides what others have mentioned) come from the fact that they didn't change Collinsworth's lines. I understand why as rerecording some of his stuff would be tedious but there has to be some interaction there. Matter of fact, I am not sure they would even gel well even if they had recorded them together as their styles contrast so greatly. Sad too because I was starting to consider Chris as Mr. Madden because he seems like a true replacement for Al or John due to the fact that he comes from the NBC premier broadcast. Now they bring in a youthful guy who just doesn't fit with Chris so it really seems like they don't know what they want to do.

Not to be a Debbie owner, but I have to believe this is a result of not doing things right the first time. Sure, Tom sounded pretty bad, but it seems as if some thought was put in to how he and Chris sounded together. Now when you have to go back and correct a mistake like Tom not being a high enough quality announcer, then you get a situation like this one. I still am not sure what they were thinking pairing Chris and Gus though; it really is a head scratcher. They really should have just paid the piper and procured Al and Chris from the get go or went with a 2nd or 3rd tier team if they were only interested in saving money.

Really, multiple audio presentations are the only way to go. I could care less if they only were able to get a couple 3rd tier teams or in the worst possible scenario, a first or 2nd tier team plus the radio guy. I am not sure why they threw out all of that finished audio when they could have just added it say as another presentation option or used it for Thursday night games in franchise or something. I hope nothing but the best for the twisted direction they are going in, but it seems to me that Chris (Mr. Madden) will have to go now if they are putting so much on Gus.
^^^^^ this fell on deaf ears apparently

« Previous 12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.