Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

According to Jon Robinson, over at ESPN Videogames, MLB 11 The Show will launch with 3D support.

Quote:
"When you're standing in the batter's box, we want you to look out and feel like that outfield wall is over 350 feet away," he explains. "It's all about adding that depth of field. But the most important thing for us, in terms of gameplay, is pitch recognition. We want you to see that slider break as it flies toward the screen. We want you to see that high fastball speeding towards you. This will really add another dimension to the game, and that was our focus. It's all about getting those pitch breaks in and the depth of field in the stadiums.

If you crank the slider all the way to the right, you'll get a very exaggerated 3D effect," explains Russell. "If you want to turn it down and make it more conservative, just slide it back to the left."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Bamafan3723 @ 06/18/10 03:17 PM
It'd be cool to be able to see how it looks in 3D. Like a preview or something. I'm sure most people don't have 3D capable TV's.

# 2 cardsfan2222 @ 06/18/10 03:21 PM
I'm thinking I may pass on buying MLB 11 now. I'm not upgrading to a 3D tv. I really don't want to wear glasses over my glasses. Besides, with the time spent on making sure the 3D stuff works right, it won't leave much time for other features, or more importantly fixing the numerous bugs and glitches that have plagued MLB 10.

# 3 nemesis04 @ 06/18/10 03:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2222
I'm thinking I may pass on buying MLB 11 now. I'm not upgrading to a 3D tv. I really don't want to wear glasses over my glasses. Besides, with the time spent on making sure the 3D stuff works right, it won't leave much time for other features, or more importantly fixing the numerous bugs and glitches that have plagued MLB 10.
Did not know you were the amazing Kreskin!

# 4 Yankees_CT @ 06/18/10 03:39 PM
I think this will add even more to the already established most complete sports game ever. Yeah, I said it you silly naysayers (Plagued with bugs and glitches). And I am sure they are doing more then spending all their time on making the game 3D. Geez, what is wrong with giving us options. I for one am all for it and I'll be picking up my 3dTV in August....this will be sweet.

# 5 ckarlic @ 06/18/10 03:42 PM
Pretty cool. Now need to save some loot for a new 3D TV

# 6 sydrogerdavid @ 06/18/10 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard
agreed. i wouldnt even try to play a game while having to wear 3d glasses. There is a reason jaws 3d was terrible. imo the focus should be on fine tuning the game rather than implementing madden like new features

Have you ever seen an IMAX movie?

# 7 Knight165 @ 06/18/10 07:38 PM
Jaws 3d?
Did I really see a Jaws 3d reference?! That was 1983!
HOT TUB TIME MACHINE!
I think we may have just progressed SLIGHTLY in the last 28 years with technology.

M.K.
Knight165

# 8 Happy29 @ 06/18/10 07:53 PM
There is a MLB 10 the Show 3d demo available in the playstation store. And I'm sure the game won't only be in 3d but give you the option of playing in 3d if you have a capable tv.

# 9 SoxFan01605 @ 06/18/10 09:17 PM
While I probably won't be 3D ready by the time 11 comes out, I like the addition. I would imagine from a development standpoint it won't detract to much from more direct game features and based on the 3D demo they showed awhile back, I think they've already been priming for it.

I just don't want to see it in 3D until I'm ready to make the switch...lol. That's how HD held my wallet hostage when it first got going. I would hate for HD to become what SD became for me.

# 10 spitoon @ 06/18/10 10:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
While I probably won't be 3D ready by the time 11 comes out, I like the addition. I would imagine from a development standpoint it won't detract to much from more direct game features and based on the 3D demo they showed awhile back, I think they've already been priming for it.

I just don't want to see it in 3D until I'm ready to make the switch...lol. That's how HD held my wallet hostage when it first got going. I would hate for HD to become what SD became for me.
I think the guys that went to the community day would be better equipped to answer this, but I'm sure they have different departments working on different aspects of the game. Its not as though they have everyone in the studio working on 3D at the expense of all other parts of the game. They will still have focus on game play, front end, audio, stadium graphics, lighting etc...

# 11 spitoon @ 06/18/10 11:51 PM
I suppose it's possible, but I think that SCEA has shown over the last few years that they are not typically prone to that kind of decision.

I think it would be a major set back in the series (to focus on 3D development at the expense of other features), especially since they are smart enough to know that only a very small percentage of gamers are even going to have a TV that's capable of playing the game in 3D.

# 12 SoxFan01605 @ 06/18/10 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitoon
I think the guys that went to the community day would be better equipped to answer this, but I'm sure they have different departments working on different aspects of the game. Its not as though they have everyone in the studio working on 3D at the expense of all other parts of the game. They will still have focus on game play, front end, audio, stadium graphics, lighting etc...
I agree...that's what I was saying.

# 13 skeem @ 06/19/10 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsu_gb23
The Show should concentrate more on improving MLB 11. 3-D is an overrated fad that will not catch on.
Exactly, fix the game before any of this 3D crap is added. I want to play a game not watch it.

# 14 Bodizzy @ 06/19/10 02:11 AM
Absolutely love the idea. I realize most consumers don't have the discretionary budget to go out and procure a 3DTV to take advantage of such a feature, but I think it's an added dimension to gaming that's inevitable.

It's all in how it's handled. Juvenile, incompetent developers will make it a gimmick, but talented, savvy ones will use it just right and we will probably look back at 2D gaming as... flat.

# 15 Woodweaver @ 06/19/10 10:22 AM
I think what you guys are missing are two key points:

1. Sony makes 3D TVs with their electronics division. I'm sure support of the 3D technology was mandated to SCEA and its many studios for its more successful titles to help launch this new tech. Synergy baby!

2. This is the type of feature that probably has been a WIP for a couple of years now. So any assets and personnel have have already been in place and will not "take away" from bug fixes and other features.

# 16 God_of_Quan @ 06/19/10 10:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeem
Exactly, fix the game before any of this 3D crap is added. I want to play a game not watch it.
I just dont like the idea in having to play my mlb 11 in nightvision looking goggles. the only way to see the 3d is to wear a pair of battery powered glasses that only work on the tv they cant with, no other 3d sets. so u have to have a seperate pair of $100 goggles for each different brand 3d tv you own

# 17 Woodweaver @ 06/19/10 10:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by God_of_Quan
I just dont like the idea in having to play my mlb 11 in nightvision looking goggles. the only way to see the 3d is to wear a pair of battery powered glasses that only work on the tv they cant with, no other 3d sets. so u have to have a seperate pair of $100 goggles for each different brand 3d tv you own
You do not have to play in 3D. This is an option.

# 18 God_of_Quan @ 06/19/10 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
You do not have to play in 3D. This is an option.
I know

# 19 Pistolero @ 06/19/10 11:17 AM
Crap, where have I been?...Didnt know there was 3D capable tv's out there. Im not to big on 3D so if it's an option that good. That leaves an option if I ever wanted to try it down the future.

# 20 SoxFan01605 @ 06/19/10 12:03 PM
lol...the only thing I think would cause more unwarranted panic in this forum is if they announced they were adding R stick controls. I don't see how one could possibly take this news as a bad sign, but nothing should surprise me on the internet.

« Previous123Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.