Home
MLB 11 The Show News Post

According to Jon Robinson, over at ESPN Videogames, MLB 11 The Show will launch with 3D support.

Quote:
"When you're standing in the batter's box, we want you to look out and feel like that outfield wall is over 350 feet away," he explains. "It's all about adding that depth of field. But the most important thing for us, in terms of gameplay, is pitch recognition. We want you to see that slider break as it flies toward the screen. We want you to see that high fastball speeding towards you. This will really add another dimension to the game, and that was our focus. It's all about getting those pitch breaks in and the depth of field in the stadiums.

If you crank the slider all the way to the right, you'll get a very exaggerated 3D effect," explains Russell. "If you want to turn it down and make it more conservative, just slide it back to the left."

Game: MLB 11 The ShowReader Score: 8.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3Votes for game: 57 - View All
MLB 11 The Show Videos
Member Comments
# 21 BenGerman @ 06/19/10 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxFan01605
lol...the only thing I think would cause more unwarranted panic in this forum is if they announced they were adding R stick controls. I don't see how one could possibly take this news as a bad sign, but nothing should surprise me on the internet.
Im just hoping it doesn't take away gameplay/franchise fixes and/or additions. If it doesn't, I dont have a problem.

# 22 moemoe24 @ 06/19/10 01:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenGerman
Im just hoping it doesn't take away gameplay/franchise fixes and/or additions. If it doesn't, I dont have a problem.
True...and like Jim said before, there are other things in the game that need more attention. So, if this 3D thing takes away from addressing issues in the game then I am not for it....if the opposite is true then thats fine. Personally, I could care less. I love the game as it is.

# 23 NAFBUC @ 06/19/10 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
I think what you guys are missing are two key points:

1. Sony makes 3D TVs with their electronics division. I'm sure support of the 3D technology was mandated to SCEA and its many studios for its more successful titles to help launch this new tech. Synergy baby!

2. This is the type of feature that probably has been a WIP for a couple of years now. So any assets and personnel have have already been in place and will not "take away" from bug fixes and other features.
Agree Woodweaver........SCEA already had a 3D model for this years game. Nothing wrong as an option for the user.

# 24 snaz16 @ 06/20/10 12:08 AM
There may be another option for 3d gaming in the form of a 3d monitor. I do quite a bit of my gaming on a 24" Dell monitor,when the tv is in use for other things. I imagine 3d monitors won't be too far behind tv's. A good 24" monitor can be had for $ 3 - 4 hundred,so my guess would be around $600. Still alot of money,but not the 2 grand I see most of the 3d Hd's are going for.

# 25 Chris_SCEA_Sports @ 07/02/10 06:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsfan2222
Besides, with the time spent on making sure the 3D stuff works right, it won't leave much time for other features, or more importantly fixing the numerous bugs and glitches that have plagued MLB 10.
It seems like this conversation comes up every year...."I can't believe they are adding Feature X....that will tie up the entire dev team, and nothing else will get added..."

I'm not picking on you, cardsfan2222, just reassuring you that won't be the case. There is plenty of new stuff in MLB '11, with new things being added every day.

Chris

# 26 bp4baseball @ 07/02/10 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_SCEA_Sports
It seems like this conversation comes up every year...."I can't believe they are adding Feature X....that will tie up the entire dev team, and nothing else will get added..."

I'm not picking on you, cardsfan2222, just reassuring you that won't be the case. There is plenty of new stuff in MLB '11, with new things being added every day.

Chris
I think the last part of your post got cut off where you give some nice examples of the new stuff.

Jk. Sounds great and I can't wait.

# 27 Mr. Franchise @ 07/02/10 07:54 PM
Quote:

Chris
Like getting rid of that "Catcher sweeping tag" animation or "Outfielder running into the wall for no reason" animation? Please?

# 28 Bamafan3723 @ 07/02/10 08:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franchise
Like getting rid of that "Catcher sweeping tag" animation or "Outfielder running into the wall for no reason" animation? Please?
Yes please. The outfielder suction animations too.

# 29 Chris_SCEA_Sports @ 07/02/10 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Franchise

But those animations look even more amazing in 3D!!!!!

Chris

# 30 countryboy @ 07/02/10 08:22 PM
Quote:

Chris

well played.

# 31 Russell_SCEA @ 07/02/10 08:58 PM
Quote:

Chris

LOL

# 32 DJ @ 07/03/10 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodweaver
You do not have to play in 3D. This is an option.
Yeah, I'm not sure why some people are freaking out about 3D. It won't be required to play MLB 11. Personally, I don't see myself getting a 3DTV (just got an HDTV) and I see 3D as being more of a fad than something with staying power, but you can't blame companies like Sony for trying to evolve and come up with new ideas. Who knows, 3D may catch on and all of us guys that already wear glasses will have to figure something out.

# 33 Perfect Zero @ 07/03/10 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djwlfpack
Yeah, I'm not sure why some people are freaking out about 3D. It won't be required to play MLB 11. Personally, I don't see myself getting a 3DTV (just got an HDTV) and I see 3D as being more of a fad than something with staying power, but you can't blame companies like Sony for trying to evolve and come up with new ideas. Who knows, 3D may catch on and all of us guys that already wear glasses will have to figure something out.
The problem with 3D is that it forces the consumer to buy entirely new technology that eats into disposable income. Not everybody has the money to go out and buy one of these sets, but when they become the standard, consumers are going to be stuck between a rock in a hard place. Either upgrade or miss out.

Then you have people like me who get actual migraines from watching something in 3D for more than twenty minutes. There are those who can't adapt well or at all to 3D, and people who wear glasses in everyday life. The problem here is with 3D itself though.

That all being said, if 3D is being done by another group away from fixing, refining, and perfecting the Show, then it's fine by me. In five years time we'll laugh about the 3D fad of the 2010's and move on in life.

# 34 DJ @ 07/03/10 03:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero
The problem with 3D is that it forces the consumer to buy entirely new technology that eats into disposable income. Not everybody has the money to go out and buy one of these sets, but when they become the standard, consumers are going to be stuck between a rock in a hard place. Either upgrade or miss out.

Then you have people like me who get actual migraines from watching something in 3D for more than twenty minutes. There are those who can't adapt well or at all to 3D, and people who wear glasses in everyday life. The problem here is with 3D itself though.

That all being said, if 3D is being done by another group away from fixing, refining, and perfecting the Show, then it's fine by me. In five years time we'll laugh about the 3D fad of the 2010's and move on in life.
I don't disagree with any of what you said. And, as I stated, I'm not a proponent of 3D myself. I'm just saying is that there's nothing wrong with companies like Sony to try and make 3D viable. It doesn't have to be for everyone. If it comes to a point where 3D is attempted to be sold as the 'one and only' way to watch TV or movies or play videogames, then yeah, I'll be joining the picket lines on that.

I really don't see this announcement affecting how good/bad 11 will be in any tangible way, but that's just me.

# 35 nemesis04 @ 07/03/10 06:16 PM
This topic is getting dissected to no end. The game has the ability to be viewed in 3D, great! If you have the means to view that perfect, if not no loss. No different then how movies are being viewed now. If I am not mistaken I thought the Show 10 was shown off in 3D as well at a show? Why is everyone freaking out now?

# 36 sydrogerdavid @ 07/03/10 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Zero

I'm not sure this will be true. I went to Orlando a month ago and there was 3D everywhere you looked. I went to 6 different 3D shows throughout the week. It's one of the main entertainment things down there in the parks.

# 37 BravesKiddKrucial @ 07/20/10 08:08 PM
I dont normally post a lot on the internet just for the fact that 90 percent of the posts are predominantly focused on whines and gripes about this or that. However with saying that I feel the need to give you guys just a little insight on how 3d really is. After seeing Avatar in 3d I was pretty much amazed at how they actually did it correctly and not as a gimmick as we have seen in the past but had no idea they were actually trying to bring that same technology into the home. Then one day I went into one of my local electronics store just looking at new tv's because it was definately time to update from my old 32' lcd. Thats when I saw this 46' Samsung on display with these funny glasses sitting in the front and the picture was all blurry and to be honest I was like WTF is this garbage? A sales rep. came up and told me its the new 3d tech. blah blah blah we've all heard it by now im sure and so I gave it a try. Needless to say the first impression was wow thats cool but it looks like they've got some issues to hammer out. Didnt think much of it until I saw it again and after that I had to have one. I ended up picking up a 55' UN55C8000 and haven't looked back since. All the gripes there were in the beginning have been fixed with firmware updates and I'll tell you what. Its the best 2d picture I've ever seen in my life on top of it all. When I told people at work everyone was saying the same thing about the silly glasses and tons of questions like well what if I dont want to watch it in 3d? .... Then dont.. Its a option not a mandatory feature. I've had quite a few BBQ's and every single person that has come over and watched the 3d movie Monsters vs Alien's really really thought it was amazing.. I think the best quote from that I ever heard was "Space is f***ing cool!" and then I put them on to the best thing I've experienced from my 3d upgrade and thats the new 3d demo's PS3 has released and man.. I can't get these people off my couch or unglued from the TV. They just cant get enough of it and all I hear is how amazing that is and that no matter what it takes they have to have one in the near future.

It honestly adds a whole new dimension to the games that just feels right and makes the experience all that much more rewarding. All I can really say is you have to see it to believe it. Also as far as the glasses are concerned and people that wear perscription glasses my roommate also has to wear these and he has absolutely no problems with it at all. They fit perfectly and are actually designed to accomodate you guys.

So Im here to tell you guys.. Honestly 3d is here to stay and once you experience it truely you will feel the same way.. I know times are tough and money is hard to come by but seriously.. We are still the in the same age where people spend 2 to 3 grand for a gaming computer that is completely obsolete a year later.

Put the jealousy aside and quit downing something you have absolutely no idea about and give it a shot. Im sure you will be happy you did.

# 38 moemoe24 @ 07/20/10 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BravesKiddKrucial
I dont normally post a lot on the internet just for the fact that 90 percent of the posts are predominantly focused on whines and gripes about this or that. However with saying that I feel the need to give you guys just a little insight on how 3d really is. After seeing Avatar in 3d I was pretty much amazed at how they actually did it correctly and not as a gimmick as we have seen in the past but had no idea they were actually trying to bring that same technology into the home. Then one day I went into one of my local electronics store just looking at new tv's because it was definately time to update from my old 32' lcd. Thats when I saw this 46' Samsung on display with these funny glasses sitting in the front and the picture was all blurry and to be honest I was like WTF is this garbage? A sales rep. came up and told me its the new 3d tech. blah blah blah we've all heard it by now im sure and so I gave it a try. Needless to say the first impression was wow thats cool but it looks like they've got some issues to hammer out. Didnt think much of it until I saw it again and after that I had to have one. I ended up picking up a 55' UN55C8000 and haven't looked back since. All the gripes there were in the beginning have been fixed with firmware updates and I'll tell you what. Its the best 2d picture I've ever seen in my life on top of it all. When I told people at work everyone was saying the same thing about the silly glasses and tons of questions like well what if I dont want to watch it in 3d? .... Then dont.. Its a option not a mandatory feature. I've had quite a few BBQ's and every single person that has come over and watched the 3d movie Monsters vs Alien's really really thought it was amazing.. I think the best quote from that I ever heard was "Space is f***ing cool!" and then I put them on to the best thing I've experienced from my 3d upgrade and thats the new 3d demo's PS3 has released and man.. I can't get these people off my couch or unglued from the TV. They just cant get enough of it and all I hear is how amazing that is and that no matter what it takes they have to have one in the near future.

It honestly adds a whole new dimension to the games that just feels right and makes the experience all that much more rewarding. All I can really say is you have to see it to believe it. Also as far as the glasses are concerned and people that wear perscription glasses my roommate also has to wear these and he has absolutely no problems with it at all. They fit perfectly and are actually designed to accomodate you guys.

So Im here to tell you guys.. Honestly 3d is here to stay and once you experience it truely you will feel the same way.. I know times are tough and money is hard to come by but seriously.. We are still the in the same age where people spend 2 to 3 grand for a gaming computer that is completely obsolete a year later.

Put the jealousy aside and quit downing something you have absolutely no idea about and give it a shot. Im sure you will be happy you did.
I dont doubt that it is amazing, but when you are married with 2 kids and a mortgage, 3D tv's are the last thing on your mind. So I'm not jealous nor downing the technology, I just simply cant afford to pay that kind of dough for a TV.

# 39 BravesKiddKrucial @ 07/20/10 08:55 PM
Yeah I can understand that situation completely. As others have said though this is something they've been working on for quite a while now.. I know at least two years so I wouldn't be worried about them letting the game slide back on what keeps it the best baseball game available. Honestly I wish they would have just released a patch for these games they already have demo's for instead of making us early adopters wait for something they've basicly already implemented in the current editions of these games.

# 40 Perfect Zero @ 07/20/10 09:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydrogerdavid
I'm not sure this will be true. I went to Orlando a month ago and there was 3D everywhere you looked. I went to 6 different 3D shows throughout the week. It's one of the main entertainment things down there in the parks.
Yeah, it's happened before. The 1950s, the 1980s, the 2010s. It's like the waves upon the sea, and I'm sure thirty years from now it will come back and be "the next new thing." The problem with it is the technology; nobody's going to be going around with 3D glasses everywhere they go. Second is the price, where the average person is paying out the ends for the technology. Third is that HD will see a leap in two to three years, where people are going to forget about the 3D experience.

The problem with the whole thing is that we are coming to a point where people aren't going to be able to pay their bills. HD came in fast when people could start affording the technology during a boom. The next two to three years will see problems with the markets, and this technology will never jump. When the market comes around, expect 3D to be thrown back into the Laserdisk and 8-track heap.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.