NBA Elite 11 News Post

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 buddy_so_sik24 @ 06/25/10 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG#5beantown
sorry but I'm pretty disappointed...I mean the animations look like ps2...I know it's user controlled...but the block animation? also the defensive animations...hm I have to say that I was more thrilled last year than this...I mean this control system seems to be good...but when the animations are still like '10 and the morph effect is still there...hm?! as I said I'm a little disappointed right now...

LOL and i jus seen the whole vid it's Demarcus Cousins

# 42 parkinson @ 06/25/10 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
Hey guys, I'm on my laptop at home and for some reason I can't get any youtube videos working so I haven't watched the full clip yet, but I will when I get to work (leaving soon).

However, looking at the screenshot that was posted has already given me some insight into what's going on.

The first thing I can say is that the skating you're seeing (I haven't een the video yet so I'm guessing here) is very likely due to missing animations. I can tell from the screenshot that durant is playing an animation to go one way while the underlying physics system is moving him in another. The hint for me is how straight his leg is and the awkward angle of the body.

I could be wrong having nt watched it yet, but I'm pretty sure about that one. If that is the cause I'm not worried at all, it's an easy fix once we have all the data.

The players going through each other is what's bothering me more. Haven't seen that happen in a build for a long time. I'm hoping once I see the vid I can repro it quickly and get a fix in there.

Fortunately we have a whole QA department whose job it is to find these problems, and now that they've seen the video it shouldn't be long before I have a bug written up for this.

I can tell you that if I can get someone to reproduce this at my desk in ANT it will be a relatively simple 2-3 hour fix. One of the benefits of the tools we're using this year.

So bear with me, it's a little embarassing being my feature and all, but rest assured there's more than enough time to sort some of these problems out.

One of the dangers of releasing videos of early builds is that you might turn people off the game, but the big benefit is that you get early feedback and reaction so you can make the game better and what people want.

I think the risk is worth the benefit, so all I ask is that you try the demo when it comes out and judge us based on that. But use this opportunity to point out the things that bother you so we can fix them (and the things you like so we make sure to keep them).

And real quick, to Da_Czar, great writeup. Very well informed and well written. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.
Many thanks, Reanimator. Impressive communication.

Sorry if i take your precious time. When or what situation make that two players "going through" even you are using chest, shoulder and hip for two objects' contact recognition point? Is there any point of time when it doesn't work properly?

And when I read your post about real time physics, i had a curious thing in my mind at that time. How about feet, legs, arms, head part? If you don't use them for the recognition point, is it means we could experience that kind of effect on those parts of two bodies in the future except chest, shoulder and hip?

I think your answer could give me some hints for understanding Elite 11's new engine. But again, if i bother you, please just ignore these.

# 43 Da-Man @ 06/25/10 01:32 PM
I need to see 5 on 5 gameplay before i make any judgement but in terms of what iv seen so far the gamespot video looked more promising.

# 44 blingballa333 @ 06/25/10 02:01 PM
Nevermind

# 45 shadio5 @ 06/25/10 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySnax
Suit yourself. Next-gen is further away than you think.

sure theres probly better engineering for next-gen, but WE dont know what these developers employ into their software. We dont know what type of early development structure layout these developers place into the game...hate when people say things like this but have no real subtance to back up their claims....

VC/2k sports fan

# 46 Pared @ 06/25/10 02:10 PM
Let me clear some things up:

That shot of Wall/Cousins was them playing NBA Jam. I don't know who put up this video, but they put it in there for NO reason at all. Hence, the Wii-motes in their hands. They actually had a blast playing; It was fun to be a part of.

Next, coupling of what Czar said and their being "too much control..." is something I've been struggling with since I first played the game. I've wanted repercussions and consequences to users that "ball" like this. I hope this can be the case with high difficulties, but it's a must. Otherwise, you're going to get THIS video as your result - scrubs who throw the stick around like mad men. The game looks TERRIBLE when you do this. Currently, there seems to be more of a consequence on defense. Also, the defender doesn't know what the heck he is doing. He never once used the sidesteps to stay in front of his man.

I wish you guys could see video of guys chaining things together. I've become accustomed enough that I could probably emulate many moves of NBA stars accurately, all because of my input and "skill."

As for that hookshot, that is user controlled. I like the user can DO IT, but I didn't like the fact that it resulted in a swish. I'm hoping that gets tuned prior to release because as it stood, the hooks had a high success %.

# 47 rEAnimator @ 06/25/10 02:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

That shot of Wall/Cousins was them playing NBA Jam. I don't know who put up this video, but they put it in there for NO reason at all. Hence, the Wii-motes in their hands. They actually had a blast playing; It was fun to be a part of.

Next, coupling of what Czar said and their being "too much control..." is something I've been struggling with since I first played the game. I've wanted repercussions and consequences to users that "ball" like this. I hope this can be the case with high difficulties, but it's a must. Otherwise, you're going to get THIS video as your result - scrubs who throw the stick around like mad men. The game looks TERRIBLE when you do this. Currently, there seems to be more of a consequence on defense. Also, the defender doesn't know what the heck he is doing. He never once used the sidesteps to stay in front of his man.

I wish you guys could see video of guys chaining things together. I've become accustomed enough that I could probably emulate many moves of NBA stars accurately, all because of my input and "skill."

As for that hookshot, that is user controlled. I like the user can DO IT, but I didn't like the fact that it resulted in a swish. I'm hoping that gets tuned prior to release because as it stood, the hooks had a high success %.
Absolutely. Hooks, leaners and fadeaways will all have different sweet spots and levels of difficulty, but none of that has been tuned yet. So I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect.

I like the idea someone had of putting in more of a sky hook animation from farther away. I'll run that by some guys and see if we have the anims to do that.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

# 48 23 @ 06/25/10 02:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
Absolutely. Hooks, leaners and fadeaways will all have different sweet spots and levels of difficulty, but none of that has been tuned yet. So I wouldn't worry too much about that aspect.

I like the idea someone had of putting in more of a sky hook animation from farther away. I'll run that by some guys and see if we have the anims to do that.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Thank You sir

# 49 gmac0322 @ 06/25/10 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pared

Thank you for clearing that up about the wii motes. I am not too worried. it is way too early to get too worried.

# 50 RayDog253 @ 06/25/10 02:33 PM
Who ever was controlling Durant was nice wit it... Damn.....

edit: after watching again, it was a little erratic. And that euro step right into Durants chest was awkward. It should of had a collision that stopped Lebron from trying to finish the euro step.

# 51 NoTiCe_O @ 06/25/10 02:52 PM
I like that video ..

And the fact that you have COMPLETE control. I mean I don't want a dumbed down game. If your not good, that's where practice comes in, when playing online you'll know your actually playing the best, not just some kid that can dunk every time.

Alot of things looked encouraging, I like the dribbling, and how Durant was gioing behind his back while walking backwards, and how after Lebron crossed Durant he put up that wet shot, while Durnat on the other hand threwup a Air ball before that .. that's all part of the skill ..

# 52 thebesteva_22 @ 06/25/10 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobySnax
Suit yourself. Next-gen is further away than you think.
I could care less if "Next - Gen is further away" I hope its better than what I have watched on the vid. Thats why I have the choice to buy the other basketball game that will come out on the same day as this one.

# 53 dexvex @ 06/25/10 04:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesteva_22
I could care less if "Next - Gen is further away" I hope its better than what I have watched on the vid. Thats why I have the choice to buy the other basketball game that will come out on the same day as this one.
well do it then. Im pretty sure this thread is not for people to say "meh umma buy 2k"

# 54 NEBULUZZ @ 06/25/10 04:13 PM
They're still skating on the floor!!! It's just Live with a new name.

# 55 rockchisler @ 06/25/10 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesteva_22
Ill wait for the next gen version of Elite. Im sorry but the player models do not look real @ all to me and the animations look like live 10.
That's funny u say that with the competitor using ps2 tech ever since it came over to the 360 and ps3

# 56 rockchisler @ 06/25/10 04:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vols bravesfan
Well if the final product is gonna be like this then I'm going with the other game.
Read the thread my dude..This is not the final product, 95% of the people here know its not the final product..Reading is Fundamental....

# 57 videobastard @ 06/25/10 04:23 PM
I like the whole idea of controlling what you want to do. But i hope that the game does not become And 1 style basketball where people are just wiggling the stick crazy to cheese there way to the basket.

Maybe if there is some sort of stamina related to a player being wild with stick too often causing the player to fatigue more to cutdown on everybody trying to be hot sauce on the court.

Im looking forward to the demo to try out the controls for myself to see how it plays out.

# 58 rockchisler @ 06/25/10 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEBULUZZ
They're still skating on the floor!!! It's just Live with a new name.
From Reanimator......The first thing I can say is that the skating you're seeing (I haven't een the video yet so I'm guessing here) is very likely due to missing animations. I can tell from the screenshot that durant is playing an animation to go one way while the underlying physics system is moving him in another. The hint for me is how straight his leg is and the awkward angle of the body.

# 59 sniperhare @ 06/25/10 05:44 PM
They make a physics game but have no weight or momentum? That doesn't make sense.

# 60 loadleft @ 06/25/10 06:35 PM
Out of all consumers that buy these games I wonder what percentage of them will want to put large amounts of time into practicing in order to enjoy something that's supposed to be a form of entertainment? Also if that number is small what happens when sales reflect that? Is this game going to be for a niche market? Those are things I thought about as I read through the thread and saw some touting the fact that stick skills will be the determining factor. As far as the video...

I am still concerned that stick skills will turn this into something that's not basketball, but I guess if the consumers want that I can always take up gardening. Looking at the speed of the moves and imagining that some will call it stick skills when they figure out how to string together 3 super quick crossovers 4 spin moves and as a result be standing wide open for a 15 footer because no one could keep up with a whirlwind, I feel the AI will conclude that will actually be a good shot and one that should go in. I too, hope they penalize players w/fatigue or maybe even losing the ball like originally was in Live 10 for stuff like that. At this point I am feeling like my fears are being realized though and stick skills are gonna create "and 1 mixed tapes" and there will be no fundamentals. I am envisioning a string of cheese all over the court and then a mastered shot stick producing perfect swishes at the end!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.