Home
EA Sports MMA News Post

Simon Sherr, Animation Director for EA SPORTS MMA has posted a blog discussing the way strikes work in MMA.

Quote:
"Our striking system in EA SPORTS MMA is extremely robust, utilizing technology that I have a patent on with EA. This striking is truly next-generation, and procedurally driven, so I wanted to break down all our per fighter tuning attributes for striking so that you can get an understanding of the level of diversity we will have in our striking in the game.

I feel it’s important to note, that we have no random numbers to determine outcomes in EA SPORTS MMA. Everything that happens in our game happened specifically because a user was doing something that protected them or made them vulnerable in some way. The entire game is balanced through realistic risk reward. EVERY time you are knocked out, or submitted in our game, you can ask yourself what were YOU DOING WRONG as a user that caused you to lose the fight. The project lead Rob Hyder, Executive Producer Dale Jackson, Creative Director Jason Barnes, Gameplay designer Victor Lugo, and I have been adamant since we set out to make this game, that there would be no dice rolls in MMA. When you are beaten, it’s because you were beaten."

Game: EA Sports MMAReader Score: 8/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
EA Sports MMA Videos
Member Comments
# 1 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/25/10 11:49 AM
Quote:
POWER - A strike can have limitless power variety in our game, and that power is based on a few dynamic attributes that are tuned per-fighter, leveled up through career mode, and also can be altered during the fight. Power is affected by,
1. your lead leg preference (southpaw vs. orthodox) and the stance you are currently standing in
2. the amount of damage your back leg currently has
3. your current stamina
4. your opponents chin attribute
5. you unique skill with that particular strike
6. your opponents current vulnerability (based on what they are doing)
Quote:
- from the time you spin the stick (or press the button based on the controller config you have chosen
They have a chin attriute ?????? Leg kicks matter ? You can use the stick or buttons ? Oh snap, I am SOLD.

# 2 JoeMimic @ 06/25/10 12:01 PM
It's nice hopefully it actually works out that way and not have it just be something mentioned that doesn't work or isn't implemented correctly. Looking forward to playing.

# 3 sb24 @ 06/25/10 12:06 PM
Sounds great! Will it work like they say its supposed to though. Only time will tell. Should be fun to check out and really make UFC step their game up.

# 4 Gotmadskillzson @ 06/25/10 12:55 PM
If all of their attributes actually work, this will be one hell of a game thats for sure.

# 5 Stumbleweed @ 06/25/10 03:20 PM
Sounds about a million times more thoughtful and realistic than UFC's nebulous rating system that doesn't actually seem to matter aside from a few damage points difference in strikes. Looking forward to trying the demo to see if I can deal with the movement and strikes (or heopfully it just improves and looks nicer by release), but I think I will be playing this more than UFC 2010 when it comes out for sure.

# 6 allBthere @ 06/25/10 08:47 PM
The title of the article is ironic.

It all sounds good, but this is EA's bread and butter. I don't really care what they say until I can play it and testify that it delivers. So far in the videos, the striking animations don't look very good at all, neither does the ring movement.

Looking around the interwebs, people are not only drinking the cool-aid - their rolling it up and smoking it. lol

I read the whole thing and it sounds nice, but seeing footage, a lot of it doesn't appear to be true.

# 7 nyj721 @ 06/25/10 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
The title of the article is ironic.

It all sounds good, but this is EA's bread and butter. I don't really care what they say until I can play it and testify that it delivers. So far in the videos, the striking animations don't look very good at all, neither does the ring movement.

Looking around the interwebs, people are not only drinking the cool-aid - their rolling it up and smoking it. lol

I read the whole thing and it sounds nice, but seeing footage, a lot of it doesn't appear to be true.
EA pretty much invented the hype train and will not hesitate to ride it to your wallet.

# 8 Illustrator76 @ 06/25/10 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Fatigue
This. EA's great at making a worthless turd sound like a ****ing golden nugget. Don't trust them.
This is true, but, I. Am. So. Tempted......can't stop getting excited for EA Sports MMA.....must resist, must resist....

# 9 ffyfe7 @ 06/26/10 10:17 PM
I am excited for EA MMA and it does look better than UFC 2010 but time will tell. I'm hoping they bring out a demo which will give us a good indication of the full product.

# 10 DaveDQ @ 09/18/10 03:52 PM
I thought I'd bump this because it contains some helpful information that many of us are asking about...

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.