Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 Valdarez @ 06/30/10 03:15 AM
I don't really see anything revolutionary with the shot approach, it's basically the exact same thing that's been in NBA 2K for years now. Granted, I haven't played EA's NBA Live games in the past, but I'm taking it that they have never had a right stick shooting mechanism before and this is the first year they are adding it to the game.

# 42 Artman22 @ 06/30/10 03:25 AM
Why does the dev on the video keep saying that shoots were based on luck when it was really based on ratings? My question is.. What happens when a person perfects the timing on shoots? does that mean that all the shoots will go in

# 43 TUSS11 @ 06/30/10 03:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
Why does the dev on the video keep saying that shoots were based on luck when it was really based on ratings? My question is.. What happens when a person perfects the timing on shoots? does that mean that all the shoots will go in
It seems so. But if the defence contests the shot perfectly, that sweet spot is going to shrink dramatically. You saw how narrow the sweet spot was when they were shooting from half court. I'm assuming highly contested shots will be nearly as difficult.

# 44 TUSS11 @ 06/30/10 03:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I don't really see anything revolutionary with the shot approach, it's basically the exact same thing that's been in NBA 2K for years now. Granted, I haven't played EA's NBA Live games in the past, but I'm taking it that they have never had a right stick shooting mechanism before and this is the first year they are adding it to the game.
The probability is completely removed from shooting. Ratings, defensive pressure, etc. all affect the size of the sweet spot. After that, it's all up to the shooter to stay within the sweet spot and time the release properly.

Basically the game calculates how difficult the shot will be then it's up to the shooter to make or miss. All games before that took ratings, defensive pressure and shot timing into effect then calculated the probability of a successful shot.

# 45 rEAnimator @ 06/30/10 04:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1bk
The way it used to work was that ratings, situation on the court and timing would determine the probability that a shot would go in. A random number would then be chosen, and based on the probability the shot would either go in or miss.

This year, the ratings and situation on the court will determine the size of the two sweet spots, thus determining the difficulty of the shot.

But it's the user input (and therefore the user's skill) that is the one and only thing that will determine if a shot goes in (unless it it blocked).

So if you can hit perfect timing and perfect aim every time, you will hit every shot.

But believe me, that is a very, very difficult task given the sensitivity of the controllers and when the sweet spots are at their smallest.

# 46 rEAnimator @ 06/30/10 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUSS11
The probability is completely removed from shooting. Ratings, defensive pressure, etc. all affect the size of the sweet spot. After that, it's all up to the shooter to stay within the sweet spot and time the release properly.

Basically the game calculates how difficult the shot will be then it's up to the shooter to make or miss. All games before that took ratings, defensive pressure and shot timing into effect then calculated the probability of a successful shot.
Nice! I couldn't have explained it better myself

# 47 loadleft @ 06/30/10 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
I agree with you on the shot power thing. We've had this discussion amongst the dev team about the power meter.

Basically, an early release in real life should result in a lower powered shot. A late release in real life should result in a lower powered shot.

However, people who play video games are trained to think of a power meter as just that. The longer you charge the power, the more power you'll get.

Unfortunately these two ideas conflict.

We've focus tested the two and for now the power meter remains as it is in the video. If you feel strongly about it one way or the other, voice your opinions, post a poll, make it known how you feel.

The game isn't done yet so it is possible to have an influence.

I cannot promise anything will change, but if you feel strongly about it you should make that known.

We are listening.
Although I really don't care... Why not make the power of the shot similar to how it is when kicking in football games? Peak power is at the top of the jump then fades off if you hold too long vs. the longer you hold it the more power it has. It could also have a steeper power ramp on the upside vs. down side. So you get up to power fairly quick for the ability to quick release and fades off kinda slow for those gliding late release shots. To me this sounds like it would replicate what you feel happens in real life, early release is too week but late is too weak also. Excuse me if you've already tried this approach I just thought it may satisfy the crowd that wants the power to match reality and the shot animation.

# 48 TreyIM2 @ 06/30/10 11:45 AM
Quote:
The way it used to work was that ratings, situation on the court and timing would determine the probability that a shot would go in. A random number would then be chosen, and based on the probability the shot would either go in or miss.

This year, the ratings and situation on the court will determine the size of the two sweet spots, thus determining the difficulty of the shot.

But it's the user input (and therefore the user's skill) that is the one and only thing that will determine if a shot goes in (unless it it blocked).

So if you can hit perfect timing and perfect aim every time, you will hit every shot.

But believe me, that is a very, very difficult task given the sensitivity of the controllers and when the sweet spots are at their smallest.
You are definitely right, here. It's almost impossible to properly push the right stick straight up as possible, every time let alone in the heat of the moment and situation. I don't think there'll be any 100% FGers anytime soon...I hope. Lol.

# 49 Eman5805 @ 06/30/10 03:36 PM
Durant got FAR too much air for a simple dunk while under the basket. Especially for someone with arms that long. He'd get just enough air to get it in, and keep going. And Jennings did the same thing that'll happen in NBA 2K10 sometimes. Where you're running to the basket from a halfcourt set...press the shoot button and suddenly your spring up in the air like his shoes got flubber sprayed on 'em.

All that considered, very, very, very promising. I'm guessing this means we'll see a lot more balls playing off the rim shots now. I hate how most b-ball games make everything all net or a brick.

# 50 shadox @ 06/30/10 03:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomonkey

anybody that plays tiger woods knows that its impossible for a human to push the right stick straight up every time. throw in timing as well and we definitely wont ever have somebody making it rain with shaq from the 3 point line.
100% agree.
And if anybody still has doubts...try the TW demo.

# 51 Vast @ 06/30/10 05:35 PM
I feel it should be reversed.
High Power early release, and Low power late release.

# 52 rockchisler @ 06/30/10 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vast
yes it does, u are right on the money

# 53 dopeismarcus @ 06/30/10 06:07 PM
rEAnimator,

I love how NBA Elite is trying to improve their games. However I don't understand how the player models could look so terrible compared to 2K? I'm going to get both games this year regardless (because of Be A Pro Mode) but please make the character models look some what realistic before the release date.

# 54 Vast @ 06/30/10 07:09 PM
Quote:
Switching the controls to this format would make bank shots a lot more intuitive in my opinion.

# 55 funkysven @ 06/30/10 07:31 PM
Quote:
Switching the controls to this format would make bank shots a lot more intuitive in my opinion.
That is a good point. If you release early and have power for the bank shot, the shots animation may not look so awkward.

# 56 Vast @ 06/30/10 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkysven
That is a good point. If you release early and have power for the bank shot, the shots animation may not look so awkward.
Exactly, and not to mention that holding the ball longer makes it much easier to get blocked.

# 57 RayDog253 @ 06/30/10 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajknows
I also agree with this, got my vote for the change.
I agree. Count my vote as well.

# 58 blues rocker @ 06/30/10 09:06 PM
those dunks look pretty bad - they have that old "rocket dunk" issue where the player just launches off the floor when the player shouldn't have enough momentum to jump that far...looks very arcadey, like they want dunking to be very easy.

# 59 blues rocker @ 06/30/10 09:16 PM
Quote:

oh boy...i can smell cheese coming on with this game. I can foresee people perfecting the timing and hitting 95 percent of their shots even if i'm in their face contesting every shot...this whole system seems flawed and primed for cheese abuse. I like that you can determine the shot success with your skill, but if a defender is in your face contesting you closely, you shouldn't even have a chance to make it.

# 60 funkysven @ 06/30/10 09:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blues rocker
oh boy...i can smell cheese coming on with this game. I can foresee people perfecting the timing and hitting 95 percent of their shots even if i'm in their face contesting every shot...this whole system seems flawed and primed for cheese abuse. I like that you can determine the shot success with your skill, but if a defender is in your face contesting you closely, you shouldn't even have a chance to make it.
Why shouldn't you have a chance to make it? Guys like Kobe hit clutch shots with defenders all over them all the time.

The guys have said that they will be implementing a system that reduces the sweet spot when guarded. But to say that you shouldn't make a shot when guarded closely is going a bit far.

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.