Home
Madden NFL 11 News Post

GoMadden has posted an interview with Ian Cummings, Creative Director of Madden NFL 11.

Quote:
GoMadden: "Why was it important for the team to slow down development of Franchise and Superstar modes this year? What kind of hurdles had to be overcome that were different from previous seasons?"

Ian: "In simple terms, what we have learned by listening to our community is that people are getting bored. The data backs this up in the fact that less than 10% of our Franchise gamers even make it past year 2, and less than 3% of our Superstar users make it past year 2. As the previous design teams rushed to get Madden NFL 06 and Madden NFL 07 to market, they were forced to make the decision of using rather old technology from PS2-days to create Franchise and Superstar. So as a design team we made the decision to not make any major upgrades to this very fragile (and difficult to update) system and instead focus more on online and gameplay and dedicate people towards planning and working for the future. We have already built one of the deepest console career modes in history with NFL Head Coach 09, and we learned a lot of lessons from that product, so moving forward I am really excited with what we can accomplish once we get a solid foundation and better architecture in place."

Game: Madden NFL 11Reader Score: 6/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 96 - View All
Madden NFL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 61 Cryolemon @ 07/11/10 05:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_GUN
not the "exclusivity" part
I think they'll try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfletch71
I do think EA will try and renew the license, but there is alot against them this time around. The supreme court ruling, multiple lawsuits and the decline of sales might be a factor in 2012. We have to see, but i hope EA at least get to the point of surpassing 2k5 by that time. Its a shame its taking them this long, besides graphics, they really havent done much.
There is nothing directly against them though. They could argue that the American Needle case only applies to clothing, the lawsuits haven't really gone anywhere, and EA make enough money from other things that declining sales aren't an issue yet.

# 62 DaveDQ @ 07/11/10 05:17 PM
This interview is very frustrating for me. Other than the fact that Madden houses NFL teams, I have no incentive to purchase the game. That should play a factor in it though. I should buy the game because it has the official NFL teams. It's just that the game has no legs after that, and that's where I get frustrated. Ian mentions how 06 and 07 were somewhat rushed (obviously 06 was). However, we are now well into this generation of consoles and what we are being told is that franchise mode has to be done over and how incorporating real time physics is very difficult because its a football simulation and that makes it more difficult than other sports.

So again this year, even though there are things like "locomotion" and "gameflow", the overall incentive is, "This game has the NFL." The thing is that has been established. We know that. But what about beyond that? What about Madden makes me want to play with the NFL? Not really much. At least nothing worthy of another $65.

# 63 Only1LT @ 07/11/10 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryolemon
I think they'll try.

There is nothing directly against them though. They could argue that the American Needle case only applies to clothing, the lawsuits haven't really gone anywhere, and EA make enough money from other things that declining sales aren't an issue yet.
Not to turn this into an exclusive license debate, but declining sales are very much an issue. The BOD and stockholders have made it an issue. Spending more to sell less is always an issue.

EA is a publicly traded company. They have people to answer to. If an exclusive license, which cost them much more than the non exclusive license, isn't fiscally beneficial, then there is a good chance they won't do it. To this point, it hasn't looked like a good business decision.

Now maybe they still might be able to sell the powers that be on it anyway, but it's a much harder sell now than it was in 2005. Anything is possible.

# 64 Only1LT @ 07/11/10 05:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadthedad
What Ian was saying in regards to real time physics is the gameplay would be to lose and random and it wouldn't reflect the NFL experience. I personally can respect that.
I don't know how he could think that, if he in fact, does.

# 65 Cryolemon @ 07/11/10 06:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
Not to turn this into an exclusive license debate, but declining sales are very much an issue. The BOD and stockholders have made it an issue. Spending more to sell less is always an issue.

EA is a publicly traded company. They have people to answer to. If an exclusive license, which cost them much more than the non exclusive license, isn't fiscally beneficial, then there is a good chance they won't do it. To this point, it hasn't looked like a good business decision.

Now maybe they still might be able to sell the powers that be on it anyway, but it's a much harder sell now than it was in 2005. Anything is possible.
I did say "yet". If it carries on over Madden 11, 12 and 13 then it could be a big issue definitely. The main question they will have is whether a non-exclusive license is worth the risk of say 2k or Backbreaker making a better game than them (which loses them money) or whether renewing the exclusive license is worth the extra up-front cost.

# 66 TDogg09 @ 07/11/10 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadthedad
What Ian was saying in regards to real time physics is the gameplay would be to lose and random and it wouldn't reflect the NFL experience. I personally can respect that.
How is the NFL not random? Anything can happen. It's unpredictable. In my opinion, canned animations are too rigid and don't reflect the NFL experience.

# 67 mestevo @ 07/11/10 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDogg09
How is the NFL not random? Anything can happen. It's unpredictable. In my opinion, canned animations are too rigid and don't reflect the NFL experience.
It can easily go the other way though if not done right, Backbreaker is exibit A there. They had problems so things had to be turned down or off completely, like facemask penalties, that's probably why all the blatant offensive PI (players on their back when the ball gets to them) is rarely called too.

The grass isn't always greener.

# 68 Only1LT @ 07/11/10 09:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
It can easily go the other way though if not done right, Backbreaker is exibit A there. They had problems so things had to be turned down or off completely, like facemask penalties, that's probably why all the blatant offensive PI (players on their back when the ball gets to them) is rarely called too.

The grass isn't always greener.

The problem isn't necessarily that Madden doesn't have a RTP engine. 2K used the same old tried and true canned animation system. The problem with Madden is it doesn't have anywhere near as many animations for different situations as 2K, the AI logic that determines what animation is triggered in what situation is not as good, and that Madden takes "canned" much too far, ie you can't interact with the play once the "canned" animation starts, as in no multiple hit tackles.

Now I think that Backbreaker gets a bad rap. I think that their physics engine works incredibly well. Not perfectly well, but extremely well. Let's not forget that BB is not the only game that uses their engine, so it must be pretty decent since some big names in the industry, ie Rockstar and Lucas Arts, use it. It was a first attempt. Just because there are issues with the game doesn't mean that you say "see, RTP is not meant for a Football game". Again there are issues, but to me, it succeeds more than it fails by a long shot.

Like I said, Madden doesn't HAVE to have a RTP engine, but I do think that this is where the industry as a whole is going. If they want to use a RTP, great. If they want to improve their game via the canned animation route that 2K did, that's great with me too. Just improve the game.

The grass IS greener when it comes to certain aspects of Madden, because in certain aspects, Madden's grass isn't green at all.

# 69 mavfan21 @ 07/11/10 10:06 PM
Franchise mode better get some major upgrades if we're waiting another year....

# 70 Thediehardeaglesfan @ 07/12/10 02:45 AM
PLZ CHANGE GANG TACKLING!!!!! THATS PROBABLY THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE WITH THIS GAME..:/

# 71 DaveDQ @ 07/12/10 07:54 AM
I have to laugh at some interpreting Ian's body language as if to say he's tired and not satisfied with Madden. From what I understand the guy started out as a tester and got to where he is now. I'm sure he gets frustrated at work like the rest of us, but I'm also sure he loves his job.

Maybe his attitude you are picking up on is the frustration with extending himself to the community only to be continually beat up by it. That's not to say he shouldn't be held accountable. I feel the game is boring and stale, but if anyone has extended himself to try and reach out to the NFL football gaming fan, it's Ian.

# 72 BezO @ 07/12/10 11:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
"Other" games will always be a part of the discussion as long as Tiburon continues the approach they take. There are countless times Tiburon says or insinuates something can't be done, only to see another game [essentially] do it with far less resources and development time. Which makes people wonder what would occur if the odds were even.
LOL. I remember when EA said last gen systems couldn't handle gang tackling AFTER 2K had already done it.

# 73 RedZoneD25 @ 07/12/10 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N@X_WiZaRD
Nobody said he wasn't satisfied with his job. He probably loves being a lead designer. The claim was that he wasn't satisfied with the overall progress of M11. It seems like Ian is no longer gushing about the features of Madden like he was during M07-M10 (with endless blogs coupled with an upbeat tone) which may indicate that he's not exactly enthusiastic about the overall game. Because after all, M11's feature-set is pretty stale - Locomotion and Gameflow. Not to mention the exclusion of Franchise upgrades.

Of course, we're just guessing, but it's not completely unlikely.

I tend to agree with this post. He definitely seems more "whatever" this year. Possibly it's that he wanted to do so much more, to prove that he truly had a vision to take Madden to greatness...Then when he realized exactly how much had to be done, they made the call to take baby steps and focus on one thing this cycle, and felt like he had failed his OWN goals...I won't comment on how I or the people here feel about the game, but I do believe perhaps he wanted to be further along now than we are.

# 74 DaveDQ @ 07/12/10 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N@X_WiZaRD
Nobody said he wasn't satisfied with his job. He probably loves being a lead designer. The claim was that he wasn't satisfied with the overall progress of M11. It seems like Ian is no longer gushing about the features of Madden like he was during M07-M10, which may indicate that he's not exactly enthusiastic about the overall game. Because after all, M11's feature-set is pretty stale - Locomotion and Gameflow. Not to mention the exclusion of Franchise upgrades.

Of course, we're just guessing, but it's not completely unlikely.
True. Maybe he is frustrated with what he'd like to see happen and what has happened. I know I am. I played Madden into June of this year, anticipating what M11 would do to improve things. I think though that the whole community thing last year was a no no. Even for me, I was following Madden devs on twitter for the sole purpose of seeing what was going on. It became entirely too personal. Ian would even tweet about his frustration with some here after he would release information and it would get swallowed up.

Personally, I wish all developers would stop with the community hype and "safe" interviews. This interview could have gone much deeper. Ask Ian his thoughts on Backbreaker and what it does with physics. Ian obviously is referring to that game when he says it's not all about physics. Things can be respectfully confrontational. Ask Ian why a game like NHL can continue to focus on its properties and yet Madden seems to keep inventing things.

If these interviews are to be of substance, both the interviewer and the interviewee need to be more thoughtful in the questioning and transparent in answering. And that goes for title beyond Madden.

# 75 Only1LT @ 07/12/10 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
True. Maybe he is frustrated with what he'd like to see happen and what has happened. I know I am. I played Madden into June of this year, anticipating what M11 would do to improve things. I think though that the whole community thing last year was a no no. Even for me, I was following Madden devs on twitter for the sole purpose of seeing what was going on. It became entirely too personal. Ian would even tweet about his frustration with some here after he would release information and it would get swallowed up.

Personally, I wish all developers would stop with the community hype and "safe" interviews. This interview could have gone much deeper. Ask Ian his thoughts on Backbreaker and what it does with physics. Ian obviously is referring to that game when he says it's not all about physics. Things can be respectfully confrontational. Ask Ian why a game like NHL can continue to focus on its properties and yet Madden seems to keep inventing things.

If these interviews are to be of substance, both the interviewer and the interviewee need to be more thoughtful in the questioning and transparent in answering. And that goes for title beyond Madden.

Rarely happens. People are afraid to ruffle feathers when the consequences of such actions can lead to less accessibility to the person/ organization that is the subject of the interview.

There is a reason why Jim Gray was asking the questions during LeBron's ESPN farce and not Jim Rome lol.

# 76 huskerwr38 @ 07/12/10 03:31 PM
I had read a twitter post that Ian had posted and he said something to the effect of he wants to let the game speak for itself this year instead of him touting the game like he did on twitter. So take that for what it's worth.

Honestly, I think the whole Madden dev team is more interested in soccer instead of real football.

# 77 PacMan3000 @ 07/12/10 03:43 PM
Why soccer?

# 78 roadman @ 07/12/10 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38

Honestly, I think the whole Madden dev team is more interested in soccer instead of real football.
So, people are suppose to eat, drink and sleep 24/7 their work.

I don't buy it.

I don't bring my work home with me, good or bad, and neither does my wife.

Twitter is just a social media outlet. The World Cup just finished. I know a lot of people, including myself watch the final game.

Aaron Rodgers was watcher the soccer matches and commenting on them. Does this mean he like soccer more than football?

I guess soccer isn't considered "a real sport" still by some people.

# 79 Only1LT @ 07/12/10 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
So, people are suppose to eat, drink and sleep 24/7 their work.

I don't buy it.

I don't bring my work home with me, good or bad, and neither does my wife.

Twitter is just a social media outlet. The World Cup just finished. I know a lot of people, including myself watch the final game.

Aaron Rodgers was watcher the soccer matches and commenting on them. Does this mean he like soccer more than football?

I guess soccer isn't considered "a real sport" still by some people.

No, Soccer is definitely a real sport. It's just a woman's sport. Just Kidding lol.

# 80 K_GUN @ 07/12/10 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerwr38
funny, i thought soccer is the 'real futbol'

silly me

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.