Home
NBA Elite 11 News Post

Watch as Kevin Durant, Brandon Jennings and Stephen Curry talk about the new player controls in the game.

Game: NBA Elite 11Reader Score: 2/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 5 - View All
NBA Elite 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 41 RayDog253 @ 07/13/10 01:38 AM
Haha, I just noticed a couple of fans wearing Sonics jerseys towards the end when durant is shooting.

# 42 dirtypuppet @ 07/13/10 01:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rEAnimator
2. This does look pretty jarring in the video. I'm impressed you noticed. I had to watch it a few times myself to be sure of what I was seeing, with the cross fade happening at the same time.

I just went into ANT (our animation and gameplay tool) and verified that there are 12 frames of blend from dribbling to a quick shot gather.

So I cannot explain what's in the video, but I was not able to reproduce that problem here.

Could be a bug, or could be something that has already been fixed.

There might be technically 12 frames (supposedly) but all I see when looking at the layup is one pose, and then the other. NO blending whatsoever, not even 1 frame.

5 & 6. The look of the blocks is being worked on now. We needed to get the feel and success/failure rate first right to define the requirements for the animations. Now that we have those requirements, the animations will improve as they are tuned and variety is added.

Good response, makes sense, I just hope the Animation feedback is looked at closely as there's a wide variety of animations here.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Thanks rEAnimator

# 43 TreyIM2 @ 07/13/10 02:05 AM
rEAnimator - PLEASE work on the head tracking. Last year, I submitted a list of suggestions on the designated EA website and included that. That's just one suggestion of many since I just came back to look at this vid, again.

# 44 Behindshadows @ 07/13/10 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyIM2
rEAnimator - PLEASE work on the head tracking. Last year, I submitted a list of suggestions on the designated EA website and included that. That's just one suggestion of many since I just came back to look at this vid, again.
Yeah they had a nice tech demo a while back on Youtube, with a nicely detailed Dewayne Wade, showing eye contact and awareness to ball movement. I really hope they implement that into Elite 11.

Not to mention, that art style of player model was beautiful.

# 45 mario_2324 @ 07/13/10 02:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz3v3ry504
ok controls......blah! we understand.....now....fix the graphics...WIP...i don't care those graphics are horrible nowhere near realistic
I would just wait until ryan santos shares info in his blog about it.....ppl dont notice a difference until the devs specifically point things out....

# 46 rEAnimator @ 07/13/10 03:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
Well, we want the game to look good too. I'd rather sacrifice a little control for a good looking game than endure terrible animations to cater for these new controls. I'm really not buying into this "wait until you try the demo" talk, if you're going to show us videos (even in their early state) we should be seeing something that looks like real basketball.

We can have all the control in the world but if the finished product looks anything like these wip videos than it counts for naught. I understand the trade off but I'd rather play a game that resembles real basketball and sacrifice some control, eg NBA2K10.
I hear what you're saying.

This is one of the biggest problems with video games, and sports video games in particular. Everyone wants total control and perfect looking animations, but you really can't have both. It's a trade-off and finding the right balance is very difficult.

We are putting more emphasis on control this year, and trying to make the game look as good as possible given the level of control you get.

The videos are meant to explain that so people know what they'll be getting, and also get people's reactions to the changes so we can make some late adjustments.

We hear your concerns about the visual quality of the animations, and we will do our best to address them. But we are not going to sacrifice the main pillar of the game this year which is control. Until you feel the difference that makes in the game, you're only getting half the picture.

I just want you to try it before you write it off. If you don't like the demo, then there's no harm done right?

# 47 rEAnimator @ 07/13/10 03:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
So what does the power meter look like for Yao Ming compared to Ray Allen? Since one has a lightning release and the other is very slow, does the meter go quicker for Allen than to Yao? So with Allen I can get to the sweet spot faster than with Yao?
Yes, the meter will go at different speeds for those players because of their signature shot animations.

# 48 JulesMendoza @ 07/13/10 03:05 AM
Is the video footage playin on Wii???? Graphics are terrible man.

# 49 Jano @ 07/13/10 03:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalsanto0026
Well, we want the game to look good too. I'd rather sacrifice a little control for a good looking game than endure terrible animations to cater for these new controls. I'm really not buying into this "wait until you try the demo" talk, if you're going to show us videos (even in their early state) we should be seeing something that looks like real basketball.

We can have all the control in the world but if the finished product looks anything like these wip videos than it counts for naught. I understand the trade off but I'd rather play a game that resembles real basketball and sacrifice some control, eg NBA2K10.
Lol well thats what you got NBA 2K11 for haha! its great to have options. Honestly I'm all about the game playing like real life so this is the game I'm leaning towards.

I can take a game where the animations look a lil off if as long its not doing anything to ruin the experience gameplay wise (ie glitches or cheesing). If I play a game with a friend that has the intensity and pressure of a real bball game I'll be good.

I obviously don't want the game to look like absolute crap but hey if it controls well and it require bball knowledge/fundamentals to be successful im down to play. Because in the end thats what's going to keep me goin.

If I don't feel like I can control my player like I can on the real court I'm going to have a problem plain and simple. In real life my success/failures are usually determined by my output so which ever game can reflect that the most im playing it.

My first priority is to feel like the player then we can move onto the player actually looking like himself on the court. If I don't feel like I have the speed of Westbrook or the strength of Shaq then I'm not goin to care if it looks that way necessarily.

The feel has to be there because when its not there it makes the game seem a lil empty to me..

# 50 Greene_Flash03 @ 07/13/10 04:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulesMendoza
Is the video footage playin on Wii???? Graphics are terrible man.
Again. Work in progress man...

Thanks for chiming in rEanimator!

# 51 Jano @ 07/13/10 05:26 AM
And you made some good points to Dalsanto.. All I was trying to get across was that we should just accept the game's for what they are or at least what they are attempting to be.

I've been on this forum for a while and the most important thing I've learned is that we need to accept games especially sports related ones for what they are. If the game is more about controls then anims accept that and adjust your feedback accordingly.

Don't go yelling at a dev because it doesn't look a certain way when that's not their design goal you know? Instead tell them why you don't like something and be done with it.

If they address it fine, if not just move on and don't stress about it. I remember i used to stress about accessories and graphical errors with 2K and all that got me was frustration. Because at the time 2K was trying to build up a core for their game and they weren't all that concerned with the look.

Now they have built that core and have made the game look great visually, so when we look at games keep that in mind. Think "What is the development team's goal for this year?" once we know that we should try and help them in that regard.

Anything else will just be wasted energy because its their goal. Its not your goal and its not mine so try to respect and honor that rather then just brush it aside like most people. And I'm not saying to not point out things you see wrong but when you do keep their goals in mind when something doesn't look the way you want it to be.

Trust me doing it this way will make you appreciate the fact that they are releasing videos so early. And also help you to be more patient when things don't look right or if they aren't releasing exactly what you want to see right now...

# 52 DaveDQ @ 07/13/10 09:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behindshadows
It's more of a joint movement issue...I've played real basketball for 20 + years.

And never have I seen player move so stiff, no hip movement, elbow joints with no fluctuations or directions. Knees not bending on jumps and so on.

It's definitely the animations that are killing their titles, as it has been since Live 06. Players are too stiff....I hope more will come of it. Plus EA use to be masters at graphics, but the images / videos have shown the lack of all things graphically impressive. Too bland, lack of detail, lightning, etc.

But then again, it's a W.I.P and more will be shown later.
It's something I feel goes hand in hand with total control. The animation let's you see what you just did with the controls. If it's moving in an awkward fashion I don't think you'll get the best representation of what the new controls are accomplishing.

# 53 fsufan4423 @ 07/13/10 10:36 AM
For some reason the release of their shots look funny. I hope this is dealt with.

# 54 joel0078 @ 07/13/10 01:05 PM
Quote:
It's tough to explain a massive improvement in control any other way. Control is something you only appreciate when you feel it. It will never impress anyone through a video.

We could have released beautiful videos of canned mocap anims and just talked about control. But that would have been disingenuous.

All I ask is that you not judge us completely until you're picked up a controller and felt the improvements. The demo will be enough for you to understand what we're talking about.

If you still don't like it, so be it.

But understand the tradeoff between look and feel, and appreciate how early in development we're releasing these videos.

Thanks.
Well said and that is exactly how I will make my final judgment of the game.

# 55 joel0078 @ 07/13/10 01:30 PM
Quote:
I hear what you're saying.

This is one of the biggest problems with video games, and sports video games in particular. Everyone wants total control and perfect looking animations, but you really can't have both. It's a trade-off and finding the right balance is very difficult.

We are putting more emphasis on control this year, and trying to make the game look as good as possible given the level of control you get.

The videos are meant to explain that so people know what they'll be getting, and also get people's reactions to the changes so we can make some late adjustments.

We hear your concerns about the visual quality of the animations, and we will do our best to address them. But we are not going to sacrifice the main pillar of the game this year which is control. Until you feel the difference that makes in the game, you're only getting half the picture.

I just want you to try it before you write it off. If you don't like the demo, then there's no harm done right?
Reanimator,

I just posted that I was going to play the game and judge for myself, which I will. But after having read this thread and a couple others which you replied in, I'm concerned that you're content with having a great control scheme, while allowing other aspects of the game take a hit. I hope I'm wrong about that, but that's what it sounds like.

Saying "we hear the concerns about visual animations and we will do our best to address that...but we're not going to sacrifice the main pillar (controls) of this years game", is troubling to me. You can have the fanciest, smoothest controls in the world, but if your graphics and animations (and other aspects of the game) aren't up to par, you might as well just stop development right now. In addition to that, don't forget you're dealing with a consumer base who has been hearing "next year this, next year that" from producers for years, when it comes to issues that needed to be fixed ASAP. So saying you will do your best to address that problem doesn't carry much weight and if I were a betting man, I'd place my bet on those problems not being addressed by release, at least IMO.

As basketball video game fans, we want the most well rounded, polished, product on the market. Please don't leave us with great controls but crappy animations and graphics, only to be able to say for the 2012 game, "we had a great foundation in last years game with the controls, and now we are going to improve the graphics and we've added 500 new animations too". This series has been #2 for along time and as long as it continues focusing on new features rather than fixing old problems, it will remain #2.

# 56 rEAnimator @ 07/13/10 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0078
Reanimator,

I just posted that I was going to play the game and judge for myself, which I will. But after having read this thread and a couple others which you replied in, I'm concerned that you're content with having a great control scheme, while allowing other aspects of the game take a hit. I hope I'm wrong about that, but that's what it sounds like.

Saying "we hear the concerns about visual animations and we will do our best to address that...but we're not going to sacrifice the main pillar (controls) of this years game", is troubling to me. You can have the fanciest, smoothest controls in the world, but if your graphics and animations (and other aspects of the game) aren't up to par, you might as well just stop development right now. In addition to that, don't forget you're dealing with a consumer base who has been hearing "next year this, next year that" from producers, when it comes to fixes that needed to be fixed ASAP. So saying you will do your best to address that problem doesn't carry much weight and if I were a betting man, I'd place my bet on those problems not being addressed by release, at least IMO.

As basketball video game fans, we want the most well rounded, polished, product on the market. Please don't leave us with great controls but crappy animations and graphics, only to be able to say for the 2012 game, "we had a great foundation in last years game with the controls, and now we are going to improve the graphics and we've added 500 new animations too". This series has been #2 for along time and as long as it continues focusing on new features rather than fixing old problems, it will remain #2.
Oh believe me, I am not content with having poor animation quality, and neither is anyone else on the team. We are working extremely hard to improve those areas. Every time I see a glitch in one of the videos we release it is painful for me to watch, and I immediately want to get back to work and make the game better.

I was posting my replies last night after midnight from work and I was not the only one here. And in between posts I was working on trying to make the defender feel less "floaty" when moving around.

I am trying to be honest with you by not making promises about what the game will be, but rather be completely open about where the game is right now and what we're trying to accomplish before we ship the product.

Please don't confuse my honestly with complacency.

I'm not a marketing guy, I'm a programmer on the game. I'm not trying to spin things to make them sound good. I'm telling you the way it is.

And despite some visual problems (that I hope we can address), I am extremely proud of what we've accomplished so far this year. The team has worked harder than anyone could have asked, and done more in one year of development than I've ever seen before.

We took on an ambitious challenge, and we nailed the primary goal for the game which was to revolutionize the controls for basketball sim games and introduce a physical element to the game. And when I say revolutionize the controls, I mean that. When you try it you'll understand. This game is really good.

Does that mean we won't be able to fix the visual problems? I don't know. I think we can, but it's not done yet so I can't say for sure.

But what I can say is that I will be proud of the product when it is released, and I am very proud of the team that I'm on and the hard work we've put in to building this product.

I hope you guys feel the same way when you try it.

# 57 Live_4real @ 07/13/10 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joel0078
Saying "we hear the concerns about visual animations and we will do our best to address that...but we're not going to sacrifice the main pillar (controls) of this years game", is troubling to me. You can have the fanciest, smoothest controls in the world, but if your graphics and animations (and other aspects of the game) aren't up to par, you might as well just stop development right now. In addition to that, don't forget you're dealing with a consumer base who has been hearing "next year this, next year that" from producers for years, when it comes to issues that needed to be fixed ASAP. So saying you will do your best to address that problem doesn't carry much weight and if I were a betting man, I'd place my bet on those problems not being addressed by release, at least IMO.

I understand your points bro, but in 1 year of development, if you donīt have a great foundation (live 10 was just a solid foundation for me), you canīt make great upgrades in all areas, you have to set goals

And this year, the goal, from what I have seen, is to nail the total player control, and begin to make the game physic based, and only these 2 "features" take time to master it

If you ask me, is this the best plan, making very specific improvements, targeting other upgrades for other years???

Because I am the consumer, I would say no

For me, Games like PES, ELITE, and NHL 2K, for example, because they are losing in the respective sport gaming competitions(by alot), they should not release yearly games, and make a 2 year project

Simply because they have so many things to improve, that they should have more time to develop itīs game. Put out a beta version after the 1st year of the development cycle, collecting feedback, making devs see what they can do for the balance the game, and ship a polished game, and after that, because you have a very very solid foundation, restart shiping yearly game like you did before

As rEAnimator said, the challenge this year, is to balance the game, because almost everything is skill based, so the balance, in for example, How easy is to make a shot, against making a contested shot, ect, ect, have to be right on, to make the gameplay experience fun

So a beta, limited or public, would help these guys know what things are unbalanced before shipping, my guess is that Elite 11 will be a beta version of 12

The problem is, gaming companies with market, refuse to do this 2 year project, because they feel like they lose fans, when in fact, the hype behind a game that has been developed for so many time is bigger, and the final project will worth the waiting, and you have this example in many games

I donīt know if this game is going to be a total package or not, I am a bball fan, but I donīt get hyped over videos or screenshots, I like to see them, but the gaming experience is more then that.
I get hyped, knowing that we have guys in here talking to us, taking notes, and actually showing the community some love, and actually admiting flaws

PeAcE

# 58 joel0078 @ 07/13/10 08:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by randombrother
The one thing in this thread I can wholeheartedly agree with is they should look at doing a 2 year cycle for a little while with this game. Get the game to a solid no-nonsense foundation of bball and then go from there.
Gotta disagree with you on this. IMO, there isn't a basketball video game to this date that could hold the attention of most gamers for 2 years. This series needs to get their ducks in a row and consistently release solid titles before they could even consider that idea. Even then, the fan base would have a fit and rightfully so. The only basketball video game I can think of that has been running solid the last 2 years is college hoops 2k8, and that is not only because it was arguably the best college title ever, but because the hardcore fans who played it, have no other choice since the series was canceled. In addition to that, the 2k share ability really assists in prolonging the title.

# 59 green94 @ 07/13/10 09:41 PM
Quote:
I'm not a marketing guy, I'm a programmer on the game. I'm not trying to spin things to make them sound good. I'm telling you the way it is.
This is all I (we) ask... thank you for being upfront and honest. And really no need to apologize for anything. Like you said, people will have a chance to play the demo and see for themselves everything that has changed for the better this year.

Thanks again for dropping in and having a running commentary with the community.

# 60 Muzyk23 @ 07/13/10 10:07 PM
It's funny to me how they market the game - ' it's better than the best' is one of the promo slogans. Haha. Seriously EA, you have delivered ONE solid(sic!) basketball game on next gen consoles. You've been beaten by the competition year in and year out. Be humble marketing department.

Reanimator, stepsix - you're doing great job communicating, giving feedback, as we all hope for a great final product but people who have been through this for many years know that there won't be a miracle as you can only do as much in one year.

The video looks bad and your marketing department is killing everyone

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.