Home
NHL 11 News Post

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 onlybygrace @ 07/19/10 09:44 PM
Man, this looks absolutely amazing...

the improvment of the puck physics is very blatent and the hitting, oh man.

I'm rarely impressed by trailers that are zoomed in on the gameplay, but that was tantalizing.

# 2 acidraindrops08 @ 07/20/10 12:50 AM
This game is going to be unreal, it is every year but COME ON!!!! To think this is only year one of a three year plan for the physics too, ohhh boy..

# 3 Vikes1 @ 07/20/10 04:12 AM
Very impressive.

I don't know if it's just the magic of the pre-release videos, but dang, the movement of the players seems quite a bit improved by way of the new physic. Especially of course along the boards. But I also liked the look of the Leafs player losing his edge, and going down.

Sept 7 now seems even further away.

# 4 milesizdead @ 07/20/10 04:36 AM
Yup, looking good

The improved puck physics came as a surprise, I hope a bouncy puck will effect shooting and passing as well...

As a Dman, looking forward to laying some huge hits that might actually knock someone down

# 5 Flyermania @ 07/20/10 07:45 AM
Lots of stuff to like in this clip...I especially liked how lively the puck was on the loose puck in front of Howard at the :43 mark. Great stuff!

# 6 ComaFaction @ 07/20/10 08:41 AM
Dayum! Looks great.

# 7 Zobitembois @ 07/20/10 09:05 AM
Pisses me of to be negative but it seems that the Iceberg graphic haven't been updated regarding Howard set in the trailer..........To stay positive I can say that the way Jimmy's pads are coloured don't allow us to really see if it's been updated.

Self contradiction is my delight.....

# 8 Paakaa10 @ 07/20/10 09:33 AM
It continues to amaze me how far the NHL franchise has come in just a matter of years. I remember getting bored with the game and going to NHL 2K back in the Gamecube days, but NHL has basically been untouchable ever since introducing right-stick controls for shooting.

# 9 Qb @ 07/20/10 11:30 AM
Good stuff, eh? The new physics really change to feel of the game. I quickly noticed the more active & independent puck during gameplay. I know it's been said many times, but the RT-physics collisions add some needed "freshness" to gameplay, not to mention making it a more realistic game of hockey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zobitembois
...it seems that the Iceberg graphic haven't been updated regarding Howard set in the trailer...
I know LuGer33 from the EA Forums (and sometimes here) spent a good bit of time looking over the equipment upgrades. I was over his shoulder for a minute or two while he was checking his lists and there were quite a few additions/updates. Probably all I can say on the subject.

# 10 PantherBeast_OS @ 07/20/10 02:18 PM
Man I ain't much of a Hockey fan. But this is so awsome. Close to Christmas I might get this game and try it. It looks like it is going rock. If this new engine works great for NHL 11. Just think what it can do for madden if is implanted good into the game. It would be amazing.

# 11 ch46647 @ 07/20/10 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend Killer
Man I ain't much of a Hockey fan. But this is so awsome. Close to Christmas I might get this game and try it. It looks like it is going rock. If this new engine works great for NHL 11. Just think what it can do for madden if is implanted good into the game. It would be amazing.
Legend, good to see you make your way into the NHL forums! I know you are a big Madden guy, I was as well but havent liked the next-gen Madden's through 2010. You should absolutely give NHL 11 a try. The NHL series is the best sports series on the market today IMO. This game is absolutely amazing and just keeps getting better and better. Every mode from franchise, on-line and on-line co-op are just amazingly fun. NHL 11 will probably be the greatest sports game ever made.

Just as a side note I have never played hockey in my life and just recently became a Capitals fan about three years ago.(I live in Baltimore and we do not have a team) I have followed hockey more closely since becoming a fan of the Caps and the sport is just phenomenal.

# 12 Zobitembois @ 07/21/10 07:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
Good stuff, eh? The new physics really change to feel of the game. I quickly noticed the more active & independent puck during gameplay. I know it's been said many times, but the RT-physics collisions add some needed "freshness" to gameplay, not to mention making it a more realistic game of hockey.

I know LuGer33 from the EA Forums (and sometimes here) spent a good bit of time looking over the equipment upgrades. I was over his shoulder for a minute or two while he was checking his lists and there were quite a few additions/updates. Probably all I can say on the subject.
http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthec...th-gurn-vaughn

You're right! And I'm glad you're.

# 13 adayinthelife @ 07/22/10 11:50 AM
I'm pretty blown away by the whole thing, but Kessel losing his edge on a quick turn there was incredible.

Obviously I hope this isn't overdone, but the fact you can apparently straight up fall adds so much realism to the game. Would be even better if the balance and agility stats for each player actually factor into this.

# 14 ericromain @ 07/22/10 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adayinthelife
I'm pretty blown away by the whole thing, but Kessel losing his edge on a quick turn there was incredible.
Watch it again, you can see he takes a poke check to the skates, causing him to lose an edge. I don't think he wiped out on his own. Even so, it's a huge improvement from the nhl10 trip animation.

# 15 Tsuki @ 07/22/10 07:09 PM
outside of broken sticks im happy to see that u can actual lose your stick from a hit as in the stick is completely knocked away from you and hopefully you have to manually pick it up

# 16 Qb @ 07/23/10 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuki
outside of broken sticks im happy to see that u can actual lose your stick from a hit as in the stick is completely knocked away from you and hopefully you have to manually pick it up
In that situation you have a few options:

1) Play without a stick. You can kick the puck, try to block shots/passes by going to the ice, and even hand-pass in your own zone.

2) Skate to the bench for a new stick. Pretty self-explanatory...

3) Get a stick from a teammate. When two players are close to each other, users will be able to both offer and receive a stick manually. It is not an automatic action, so both users (talking OTP here) must decide to make the switch. Lefty/righty does matter!

4) Assuming the stick is not broken, a player can pick up his stick. I'm not 100% certain if this is done with a button press or by skating to it. I usually tried to play w/o one to see how it worked or switched to another player. I do know it is not an automatic animation in the sense that a player will always recover his stick like the old and relatively rare animation in previous versions.

When I lost sticks they were usually broken on attempted shots -- it wasn't too often -- so my guy was skating to the bench or going without. We couldn't get OTP to work, so we didn't have a chance to see how this will play out with all humans. Should provide some very interesting moments...

# 17 slickdtc @ 07/23/10 10:26 AM
Pretty awesome. There should be a lot of really cool animations on hits.

One thing I think NHL video games always got wrong was checking. They always focused on hits, where one guy (or both, or multiple) are flattened to the ice. If you watch hockey, you don't see too many of these in each game, which is why they're so special. The majority of checks are just rubbing out a guy, eliminating him from the play. I haven't played this series in a while (until NHL 11 releases), but I know NHL 2k10 had this one animation where a player kind of rubs a guy out along the boards and spins off him. Effective in that it takes out the player from the play without knocking either player to the ice. Looked really good and very realistic.

# 18 Tsuki @ 07/23/10 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
In that situation you have a few options:

1) Play without a stick. You can kick the puck, try to block shots/passes by going to the ice, and even hand-pass in your own zone.

2) Skate to the bench for a new stick. Pretty self-explanatory...

3) Get a stick from a teammate. When two players are close to each other, users will be able to both offer and receive a stick manually. It is not an automatic action, so both users (talking OTP here) must decide to make the switch. Lefty/righty does matter!

4) Assuming the stick is not broken, a player can pick up his stick. I'm not 100% certain if this is done with a button press or by skating to it. I usually tried to play w/o one to see how it worked or switched to another player. I do know it is not an automatic animation in the sense that a player will always recover his stick like the old and relatively rare animation in previous versions.

When I lost sticks they were usually broken on attempted shots -- it wasn't too often -- so my guy was skating to the bench or going without. We couldn't get OTP to work, so we didn't have a chance to see how this will play out with all humans. Should provide some very interesting moments...
exactly what i wanted hear dude

# 19 Flyermania @ 07/23/10 09:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
Looks like it's time to finally jump ship. Looked incredible. The only (and it's minor) criticism is with the EA shooting engine, there's something about the follow through..... as if it is a bit seal armed / shortened.
I jumped a few years back and haven't regretted it one bit DFB...I don't think you will either. It's not perfect but the good definitely outweighs the bad, and the developers put a lot of effort into interacting with the community to make the game better.

# 20 MizzouRah @ 07/23/10 10:43 PM
I'm so ready to get this game in my grubby paws!

« Previous12Next »

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.