Home
NHL 11 News Post

Check out the new NHL 11 blog from Assistant Producer, Gurndeep Sumal, as he talks about goalie gear.

Quote:
"If you’re wondering how we’re able to put this much equipment in for the goalies as compared to what we put in for skaters, it’s all based on memory used in game. For goalies, there are only ever four goalies in the rink at any one time as opposed to 36 different skaters. We have to account for every single skater and goalie potentially having a different piece of equipment, which can add up quickly. The more equipment we have to load, the longer our load times are and once in the game it will affect the framerate. Not to mention, when you play online and all the equipment information has to be shared so everyone is seeing the same thing.

Back to the gear, one of the biggest changes to the goalie equipment this year is that we’ve increased the amount of recolorable zones to nine (for sets that are complex). This also includes the older equipment that has been in the game in previous years like the Bauer X: 60 or the Vaughn V3 sets. Even with 9 zones some of the equipment may still be a little off due to the sheer amount of customization that a specific set may have but we’ve tried to make it as close to real life as possible. So why not add more zones for more authenticity? See the paragraph above on load times, memory and framerate!"

Game: NHL 11Reader Score: 7.5/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PS3 / Xbox 360Votes for game: 36 - View All
NHL 11 Videos
Member Comments
# 1 LuGer33 @ 07/20/10 02:16 PM
Awesome. Goalies in EASHL for 11 are going to love this.

# 2 Qb @ 07/20/10 02:54 PM
Wow. As I mentioned before I saw some of the new gear when Luger was checking it out, but I had no idea the list was so extensive. Great news on the additional customization options.

On a side note, I was really impressed with Gurn at the community event. He's a big part of the GM mode & roster stuff and his enthusiasm & knowledge of what needed to be improved was very evident. And he played rather well between the pipes during our scrimmage too.

# 3 Ridgeberg @ 07/20/10 02:56 PM
Yes. This is very exciting. Gurn's enthusiasm is evident in his blog. I am very impressed at the quantity of Vaughn equipment. I am sure, now, that the Bauer selection has been updated. We've already seen that Halak's pads are in the game. This is all great news for realism freaks like me.

# 4 The Visualizer @ 07/21/10 11:55 AM
good job, hopefully we get some somewhat authentic mask art too

# 5 LuGer33 @ 07/21/10 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
good job, hopefully we get some somewhat authentic mask art too
Off topic but big wtf to your teams, sir. Phllies, Flyers, Union (I really like them, thrilled to have an MLS team down the road) and the Giants?

Blasphemy, sir.

# 6 The Visualizer @ 07/21/10 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuGer33
Off topic but big wtf to your teams, sir. Phllies, Flyers, Union (I really like them, thrilled to have an MLS team down the road) and the Giants?

Blasphemy, sir.
I've always hated the Eagles, their organization, and their scumbag fans, they are the exception, being a fan of the G-Men allows me to follow a team that is close enough to see most of their games on TV, be able to see a couple games live and be a hated rival of the Eagles, best of all worlds

# 7 Weapon X @ 07/21/10 08:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Visualizer
I've always hated the Eagles, their organization, and their scumbag fans
That point doesn't really make sense when you take into account the fact that the majority of the fanbase are also Phillies, Flyers and Union fans.

On topic though, as someone who primarily plays Goalie Mode and BAP Goalie Careers, the expansion of new gear is huge news. 8 Vaughn choices alone is amazing given the fact that that was roughly the amount of choices we had last year in total.

WX

# 8 plaidchuck @ 07/21/10 09:20 PM
Yeah it is good to see the goalies get some love. When you think about it, Goalie BAP could be amazing but there just seems to be something every year that just isn't right. Hope the controls are solid this year.

# 9 gator3guy @ 07/22/10 04:29 PM
Custom masks would be sweet if they could somehow manage to pull that off

# 10 Matt_350z @ 07/22/10 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorismary
Great info and hopefully they will add some new masks as the old ones are nice but after 3 years well you know.
Oh and some classic KOHO goalie gear which was the BEST IMO and the only stuff I ever used

It would be cool if Jonas Hiller had his Koho's in game. Barring he is still using them in real life.

# 11 JaFFiTh @ 07/22/10 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_350z
It would be cool if Jonas Hiller had his Koho's in game. Barring he is still using them in real life.
Actually it is.. it's in one of the screenshots

# 12 EricDS @ 07/24/10 08:39 PM
Great news for everyone in EASHL!

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.