Home
NBA 2K11 News Post

2K Sports has just posted their NBA 2K11 Developer Insight, written by Gameplay Producer Zach Timmerman, as he talks about the "Jordan Challenge" and a few other tidbits.

Quote:
"One thing that hasn’t really been mentioned in all the great coverage today, we spent a tremendous amount of time getting the Historic Bulls teams and their biggest rivals into NBA 2K11. We went out and got the rights to the actual players from each era and spent a ton of time capturing their signature shots, moves, and tendencies. So not only are we building you the perfect Michael Jordan in-game, we are also giving you some of the games great players from yesteryear such as Scottie Pippen, Larry Bird, Dominique Wilkins, and many others. With those guys in the game, it didn’t feel right without adding era specific commentary. I am sure the audio team will get into that more in a future Insight.

For now, here are the Historic Teams that will be immediately available for you to play this year:

1985-86 Chicago Bulls
1985-86 Boston Celtics
1989-90 Chicago Bulls
1989-90 Atlanta Hawks
1989-90 Cleveland Cavaliers
1989-90 Detroit Pistons
1990-91 Chicago Bulls
1990-91 Los Angeles Lakers
1991-92 Chicago Bulls
1991-92 Portland Trailblazers
1994-95 Chicago Bulls
1994-95 New York Knicks
1995-96 Chicago Bulls
1995-96 Seattle Supersonics
1996-97 Chicago Bulls
1996-97 Utah Jazz
1997-98 Chicago Bulls
1997-98 Utah Jazz"

Game: NBA 2K11Reader Score: 9/10 - Vote Now
Platform: PC / PS2 / PS3 / PSP / Wii / Xbox 360Votes for game: 108 - View All
NBA 2K11 Videos
Member Comments
# 201 Rocboyz101 @ 07/25/10 04:57 PM
Sigh, I hope they don't focus too much more on this. It looks like they've done a great job thus far, no more though. Focus on the rest. Ppl are forgetting this isn't just about the 90's..

# 202 mario_2324 @ 07/25/10 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocboyz101
Sigh, I hope they don't focus too much more on this. It looks like they've done a great job thus far, no more though. Focus on the rest. Ppl are forgetting this isn't just about the 90's..
This^ It seems like a lot of there focus has went towards this feature....hopefully they put in the same amount of work for gameplay

# 203 RIZDRAVER @ 07/25/10 05:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocboyz101
Though none of us even know enough about the game to make such a far-reaching statement that this is ALL they're focusing on. It seems like they're focusing on this because this is the ONLY announcement of the Dev Insights thus far. But for crying out loud, this is only the FIRST OF 12 Insights. There's a LOT more that's going to be delved into before October.

# 204 jfsolo @ 07/25/10 05:39 PM
As with any development team, VC may fall short in the implementation of their design plan for a given version, but they always give gameplay a ton of attention.

Those of us who have been paying attention for all these years know that their team members never lose focus on the core aspects of their game. One may vehemently disagree with some of their design choices, but to ever say that they didn't spent adequate time on gameplay is a fraudulent statement.

They know better than anyone that the improvement of the gameplay/A.I./tendencies will determine if the Jordan Challenge is a great mode, or a mediocre one.

# 205 mario_2324 @ 07/25/10 05:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljordanjr
Not necessarily. There's a modding community for 2K who have re-created ALL teams/players cyberfaces for certain y ears. And this was done among a few people ONLY. So remember, that's every single NBA team for a given year + courts + jerseys and all that jazz.

So it would make sense the 2K squad had a small team working on it while the main team was working on gameplay. But we will know for sure when the demo hits.
It all sounds good on paper but it only matters if is seen in the game...u feel me?

# 206 Po Pimp @ 07/25/10 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
Posts 207-217 deal with the subject matter of a thread I made, but it was locked. It would have been nice to discuss those 11 posts there though.

Like the thread said, this is not going to be ESPNClassic 2K11--it's NBA 2K11. It's not the Hall of Fame Challenge; it's the Jordan Challenge. Teams Jordan didn't have Classic moments against have not been announced and may never will be.
Yeah I know it's the Jordan Challenge, I just always hoped the NBA games would take what NFL 2k did with their challenges. Like that game u had to redo "The Drive" amongst other challenges. It can still be about MJ as he has ATLEAST 10, but how cool would it be to score 25 in the 4th quarter of the Finals with Isiah, or relive the Bird/Nique shootout? You could have 10 Jordan challenges and 10 other players. That would be so ill! I'm coppin first day regardless just like I have since 2k5.

# 207 Rocboyz101 @ 07/25/10 06:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZDRAVER
Though none of us even know enough about the game to make such a far-reaching statement that this is ALL they're focusing on. It seems like they're focusing on this because this is the ONLY announcement of the Dev Insights thus far. But for crying out loud, this is only the FIRST OF 12 Insights. There's a LOT more that's going to be delved into before October.
Calm the hell down, its just an observation. "for crying out loud", I'm just saying that this is a great feature and all, but I hope they don't add on to this and they talk about the other stuff now. Great marketing idea, nice to have some info. It looks like they put alot into this which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I just hope the other stuff comes out next. I didn't necessarily agree with a lot of what they did last year, so its easy to see why one would be anxious to hear about the improvements. No need to get all uptight.

# 208 adembroski @ 07/25/10 07:35 PM
'93 Suns are the selling point for me, I'm sorry to say. especially if the Vet is accurate. My uncle was head of stadium police there for several years and I know it well.

I grew up on Barkley, Majerle, K.J., Ainge... I don't like basketball anymore. I hate what the NBA has become since the '90s. But if anything can make me a basketball fan again, it's the opportunity to play with this team in a modern basketball game.

# 209 VDusen04 @ 07/25/10 08:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
'93 Suns are the selling point for me, I'm sorry to say. especially if the Vet is accurate. My uncle was head of stadium police there for several years and I know it well.

I grew up on Barkley, Majerle, K.J., Ainge... I don't like basketball anymore. I hate what the NBA has become since the '90s. But if anything can make me a basketball fan again, it's the opportunity to play with this team in a modern basketball game.
Not to be a super crazy stickler, but I'm pretty sure the '93 Suns played in America West Arena. 1992 was their last year at the Vet, for whatever it's worth.

I hope for your sake 2K finds a way to include that club. At least, I'd like those sunblast retros, so a user (a member here, PortlandBlazer, makes a spot on Charles Barkley) could make the '93 Suns on their own.

# 210 myownsun @ 07/25/10 08:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Good grief, listen to Oliver Miller at the 4:48 mark. What a dork.
Agreed! He should have gotten a tech.

# 211 UnusualMattyB @ 07/25/10 09:33 PM
This is awesome, I have been a NBA Live fan since Bulls vs. Lakers and this will bring me over to get both of them this year...I can't wait.

# 212 dreihl @ 07/25/10 11:06 PM
I'm just glad that the Pistons let Jordan have one good game during the 1990 Eastern Conference Finals, so that team could be in this game.

# 213 adembroski @ 07/26/10 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Not to be a super crazy stickler, but I'm pretty sure the '93 Suns played in America West Arena. 1992 was their last year at the Vet, for whatever it's worth.

I hope for your sake 2K finds a way to include that club. At least, I'd like those sunblast retros, so a user (a member here, PortlandBlazer, makes a spot on Charles Barkley) could make the '93 Suns on their own.
You're right, and Barkley never played at the Vet. My uncle had moved back to North Dakota by '91, so I stopped going to games and only watched on TV. I can't imagine they'd include any Suns team but '93 though.

Anyways, I can't imagine they'd leave 'em out. They were a pretty popular team at the time if I remember right, even outside Phoenix. Lots of personalities and fun to watch (a staple of the Suns! We may be the Cubs of the NBA, but we're always fun to watch:P).

# 214 Mecca_G @ 07/26/10 08:34 AM
Wow....no showtime Lakers??? IM HURT

# 215 STLRams @ 07/26/10 08:50 AM
This is great news out the gates, I wonder what the next Developer Insight will be about.

# 216 jd@os @ 07/26/10 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca_G
'91 Lakers will have to do, although you're right--by that time the show had slowed a little bit from the mid to late '80s.

# 217 KyotoCarl @ 07/26/10 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecca_G
Jordan never had any real classic games against the Lakers during the 80's. Come 91, everyone were hyping the Jordan-Magic matchup. This is what the NBA got and this is what we get.

# 218 umfrumDC @ 07/26/10 10:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TalenT
This could quite possibly be the illest thing ever. I may never have to buy another basketball game. I'm amped!
I think so too... with mj on the cover 2k has no choice but to bring their a++ game to the table. I think they should include the original Dream Team and the Redeem Team... That is a matchup we all wish we could watch... I think other teams will be announced after release as dlc content... so 94-95 rockets and 93 suns fans should be easy. Its just 2 early 2 announce all the squads right now, long story short Im pre ordering this one and I never do for any game.

# 219 jd@os @ 07/26/10 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by umfrumDC
I think so too... with mj on the cover 2k has no choice but to bring their a++ game to the table. I think they should include the original Dream Team and the Redeem Team... That is a matchup we all wish we could watch... I think other teams will be announced after release as dlc content... so 94-95 rockets and 93 suns fans should be easy. Its just 2 early 2 announce all the squads right now, long story short Im pre ordering this one and I never do for any game.
But these historic teams are in the game for The Jordan Challenge. Man I wish my thread on this had not been locked. What challenge would you RE-CREATE with the '94-'95 Rockets? Jordan didn't have a classic moment against them nor the '93-'94 Rockets. Again, this is not the Classic Team Challenge--it's the Jordan Challenge. I just don't get why people are asking for historic teams that have nothing to do with a Jordan moment. Maybe we'll get them in the future, but for now 2K has them for The Jordan Challenge.

# 220 VDusen04 @ 07/26/10 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd@os
But these historic teams are in the game for The Jordan Challenge. Man I wish my thread on this had not been locked. What challenge would you RE-CREATE with the '94-'95 Rockets? Jordan didn't have a classic moment against them nor the '93-'94 Rockets. Again, this is not the Classic Team Challenge--it's the Jordan Challenge. I just don't get why people are asking for historic teams that have nothing to do with a Jordan moment. Maybe we'll get them in the future, but for now 2K has them for The Jordan Challenge.
I think people are just hoping for additional squads to be available seperate from the Jordan Challenge. For example, NFL 2K5 had all the classic teams for each of the Top 25 Moments games accounted for. But I think they also had additional classic teams available just for the sake of having them available (there were at least two Lions teams, one predated ESPN). I think the only difference is that NFL2K5 paid for no rights to classic players so there was no more money involved in cranking out as many classic teams as they wanted, because each team was just filled with editable "generic players" (Lions HB 20).

The goal of authentication in the classic teams in NBA2K11 is probably what will keep them from going crazy and adding squads all over the place. Though, from that aspect, I wonder if that's where downloadable content could come into play. I do not believe that's in the cards this year, but in the future I feel downloadable teams might be a good way to appease the masses and pay for the rights of retired players, yes?

Post A Comment
Only OS members can post comments
Please login or register to post a comment.